what is the longest you have gone without sinning?

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Uh, no. What is meant is that you can be free from the grip of sin and the consequences of sin. We all sin, even after accepting Christ.

man I had to laugh reading this reasoning I can't lie.

So what you are suggesting is the following. I would bring out verses but you can logically break this down tbh even without them.

1. Guy A "Hey bud I got something to tell ya, we free from the grips of sin but we still sin!!" Guy B ask question: "But how am I free if i'm still sinning isn't sin punishable by death?" Guy A response: " WEll uh.... because he died from us there are no consequences at all...sin all you want, sure sin is associated with the devil but hey God's fine with it".

In all seriousness though that's not how it works...JESUS came to justify us and cleanse us of sins....not just to die so we can be no better then the people of the OT stuck in sin and even worse destined to get nowhere especially us who were considered gentiles at the time.

What you don't understand is SIN literally is anything that's against Christ. Like that's straight up one of the definitions for the word itself.
Anything that isn't righteous, righteous and sin don't fit together they are opposites. God doesn't want us to be half for him and half against him. THe bible even says a double mined man... is unstable in all his ways.

2. Salvation doesn't work then, you're not free from anything is what you're suggesting. You can be free from the grip of sin and still sin. Man salvation as you define it is rather useless if you ask me.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
man I had to laugh reading this reasoning I can't lie.

So what you are suggesting is the following. I would bring out verses but you can logically break this down tbh even without them.

1. Guy A "Hey bud I got something to tell ya, we free from the grips of sin but we still sin!!" Guy B ask question: "But how am I free if i'm still sinning isn't sin punishable by death?" Guy A response: " WEll uh.... because he died from us there are no consequences at all...sin all you want!!!".

In all seriousness though that's not how it works...JESUS came to justify us and cleanse us of sins....not just to die just to die.

2. Salvation doesn't work then, you're not free from anything is what you're suggesting. You can be free from the grip of sin and still sin. Man salvation as you define it is rather useless if you ask me.

Albion is correct, we all sin. We are forgiven, but not sinless. 1 John 1:8 makes this very clear: "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What you don't understand is SIN literally is anything that's against Christ.
As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I do understand (and was saying).

I certainly did not say anything along the lines of "now you can sin as much as you want" or some of the rest of what you wrote.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Albion is correct, we all sin. We are forgiven, but not sinless. 1 John 1:8 makes this very clear: "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."

1 john 3:8
He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil

The irony?

ALso read the whole text you quoted 1:8 from..

1 John 1:8-10King James Version (KJV)

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Comment: This verse verse 8 is simply stating that people have justified their sinful actions by claiming to be right with God. But in verse 9 it shows that we must as a response admit our wrongdoings and allow God to cleanse us from sins from all unrighteous from all of it.

verse 10 supports that yeah we are all born in sin which is true. Born in sin shapeth in inequity just an extra verse in there supporting the need to obey verse 9. People can't be like those in verse 8 and justify their sin but rather verse 10 is saying acknowledge you have it and it's bad and remove it like instructed in verse 9.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I do understand (and was saying).

So how can you support sin being a component of a Christian (Christ like) if it's against Christ. IF you sin all the time you're just a sinner (against Christ).

• Agree
Reactions: YouAreAwesome
Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
“Whoever drinks beer, he is quick to sleep; whoever sleeps long, does not sin; whoever does not sin, enters Heaven! Thus, let us drink beer!” - Attributed to Martin Luther

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
what is the longest you have gone without sinning?
Well, when was the last time I had an impure thought, had an unkind thought about someone, got angry, failed to love all my neighbours, including those who don't like me and insult me, are unkind to me?

Sometime earlier today I think

How about you?

Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Honestly I'm a little fuzzy on the whole "sin" thing. By what frame of reference, and by what definition of the maxims of that frame of reference. Right now I'm sitting here, smoking a non-filtered cigarette, doing no manual labor, watching television, and thinking about sleeping. Is any of that sinful?
Absolutely, there's no hope for you, hell awaits!

I smoke ecigs.
No hope for me either!

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
1 john 3:8
He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil

The irony?

ALso read the whole text you quoted 1:8 from..

1 John 1:8-10King James Version (KJV)

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Comment: This verse verse 8 is simply stating that people have justified their sinful actions by claiming to be right with God. But in verse 9 it shows that we must as a response admit our wrongdoings and allow God to cleanse us from sins from all unrighteous from all of it.

verse 10 supports that yeah we are all born in sin which is true. Born in sin shapeth in inequity just an extra verse in there supporting the need to obey verse 9. People can't be like those in verse 8 and justify their sin but rather verse 10 is saying acknowledge you have it and it's bad and remove it like instructed in verse 9.

I believe I already stated what you have underlined. Those who have accepted Christ as their lord and Savior are forgiven. That does not mean that they no longer sin. We all do, often by our inaction rather than by our actions. If you say you are without sin you deceive yourself.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I believe I already stated what you have underlined. Those who have accepted Christ as their lord and Savior are forgiven. That does not mean that they no longer sin. We all do, often by our inaction rather than by our actions.
i agree people who say that prayer still sin tbh but I don't agree that saved still do.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What prayer?

And yes, the saved still sin.
I'm talking about the Lord's Prayer that I thought you were referring to where you accept Jesus as your personal savior e. I was Just saying that doesn't save you. If anything it's some sort of start towards salvation tbh. You're establishing a basic fear of the lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Non denominational fundamentalist
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What do you think happened with the gold and such that the wise men brought from the
east?

Asking this, because sometimes people will wonder at what age did Jesus know that He was/is the Son of God/God come in the flesh.
Seems He would have been told what those gifts were for and how He was worshipped as a child.

If you read some of the aprocrapha books it states Jesus always had the power that came with his position.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Romans 7

For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.

So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.

Romans 6

What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it? Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.

Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, to make you obey its passions. Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness. For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.

• Agree
Reactions: Jim Langston
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm talking about the Lord's Prayer that I thought you were referring to where you accept Jesus as your personal savior e. I was Just saying that doesn't save you. If anything it's some sort of start towards salvation tbh. You're establishing a basic fear of the lord.

Don't believe that I mentioned the Lord's Prayer in my earlier post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
... no one believes in sanctification anymore. Just this pessimistic vibe.
Many of us understand that we are sanctified in spite of our sins, and therefore it's ridiculous to keep track of our sins. Without that, Christ's death and resurrection is meaningless.

Upvote 0

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
tbh I can easily say I agree with this 90% wish more people would realize sin doesn't have to stay some part of you... bible says if right hand offend thee cut it off.
Curious.....so do you use a prosthetic?

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Many of us understand that we are sanctified in spite of our sins, and therefore it's ridiculous to keep track of our sins. Without that, Christ's death and resurrection is meaningless.

it's ridiculous to keep track of our sins.

1. Who mentioned keeping track of your sins? I never suggested that.

Many of us understand that we are sanctified in spite of our sins

My Response: I understand what many people today believe and as you see in first 1 John 1:8 the verse the other guy quoted, many people believed this even in the past, but they were corrected in verse 9.

Also the definition of sanctification is essentially to be set aside, to be pure, to be holy. And how does the bible really speak on holiness??

"Come out from among them and be ye seperate saith the lord, and touch not the unclean thing and then I will receive you".

"God has not called us unto uncleanness but unto Holiness"

If sanctification is sort of process that in order to take place requires an holy individual .. and holiness means to be seperate from what most (the world) believes and finds ok (and one such thing is sin) then yeah. The world is saying it's ok to be unclean and holy at the same time...but even logically that doesn't make sense. Sanctification (cleansing process) sin (unclean thing) they are opposites.

Without that, Christ's death and resurrection is meaningless

My Response: without what?

Last edited:
Upvote 0