Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There was a conversation from another thread in which the discussion seemed to be centered on disagreements, or at least varying uses of the phrase "law of Christ". I've always wanted to have a conversation over this topic, so here's the thread to do it.

Verses of Interest

To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law.

- 1 Corinthians 9.21 ESV

Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. - Galatians 6.2 ESV

Reactions: DerSchweik

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This bring up an interesting question. Where does one ever get the idea that the New Testament is to be understood in the same way that the Old Testament was, as a legal code? Are there other ways that the phrase "law of Christ" could be understood?

I've been thinking about this for some time and am very interested in hearing the ways others can think of.

Upvote 0

heapshake

The Great Pumpkin
Mar 11, 2002
Missouri
✟760.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think I'm suppose to obey all of God's commands, but my salvation doesn't depend on perfect obedience or perfect understanding of those commands. But I don't think that "the law of Christ" refers to a legal code. I think Paul's use of "law of Christ" in Gal 6 is ironic. In chapter 5 he talks about not being under the Law if your led by the Spirit. I think Gal 6:2 is referring back to those earlier verses.

I think the phrase in the verse in 1 Corinthians is referring to the law of nature that was written on men's hearts.

You also have Paul talking about the "law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus" in Romans 8:2.
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.
I think the is also an ironic comparison like in Galatians.

However, Jesus did say in John 14:15
"If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
so I can see someone interpreting the phrase "law of Christ" as Jesus' commandments.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no law of Christ. He was not a lawgiver. Rather, He taught from and emphasized God's commandments, distilled them, enhanced some of them, tweaked some, explained them and provided examples of them "in action".

As another poster said, Jesus wants us to be led by the Spirit, not by a law. Follow God's commandments out of love, do not obey them out of fear.

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

notreligus

Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2006
✟97,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Galatians 6:1 - Even if a man should be detected in some sin, my brothers, the spiritual ones among you should quietly set him back on the right path, not with any feeling of superiority but being yourselves on guard against temptation.
6:2 - Carry each other's burdens and so live out the law of Christ. .... (Phillips)

These verses explain the law of Christ. It is based on love. Bear one another's burdens and love your brother as yourself.

John 13:34"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
John 13:35"By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Upvote 0

NaLuvena

Nov 18, 2008
Apia, Samoa
✟10,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no law of Christ. He was not a lawgiver. Rather, He taught from and emphasized God's commandments, distilled them, enhanced some of them, tweaked some, explained them and provided examples of them "in action".

As another poster said, Jesus wants us to be led by the Spirit, not by a law. Follow God's commandments out of love, do not obey them out of fear.

:thumbsup:

and believe that the sacrifice that God provided for you according to the Law will save you.... Great post!!!!

Upvote 0

outOftheLoop

Sep 13, 2010
USA
✟15,909.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There was a conversation from another thread in which the discussion seemed to be centered on disagreements, or at least varying uses of the phrase "law of Christ". I've always wanted to have a conversation over this topic, so here's the thread to do it.

Verses of Interest

To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law.

- 1 Corinthians 9.21 ESV

Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. - Galatians 6.2 ESV

I get both the law of Christ and his Spirit when i am in His Real Presence, which is in the Catholic Church 24/7. there is nothing like it.

But then that goes w/o saying, since, as they say: There is nothing like being there

Upvote 0

outOftheLoop

Sep 13, 2010
USA
✟15,909.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

this is not true.

haven't you ever read St Matthew 25:31-46, wherein Jesus show us the law of Love in action, failure in which leads people to Hell

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
S

swordmaster

I see here in this thread a misunderstanding of what law we are talking about. In the old covenant there was three different families of law, and out of those families of law Christ only superseded one...the law regarding the rites and rituals of the sacrificial system as it had to do with sin. He became our atonement once and for all, therefore all law regarding the sacrificial system is now null and void.

Many confuse the law with the Commandments of God, they are NOT the same. The Commandments were the stipulations for entering into the old covenant (and the New Covenant), along with living faith. All those stipulations are today fulfilled simply by loving on people when the opportunity arises.

Grace has ALWAYS been present in the covenants God has prepared for man, there is no "covenant of grace" as so many like to call it...the New Covenant is simply the old covenant re-vamped. It has better promises which the old didn't have (eternal life and the indwelling of God's Spirit, for example) and the finalization of the sacrificial system, which we have already gone over.

Faith and obedience to God has always been the stipulations for entering into the covenants. Obedience to God is NOT obedience to the sacrificial laws, for there are no such things in the New Covenant. Today, we obey God in the "new and living way" made for us through the Veil, by walking in the spirit and obeying God's voice when He would direct us to do something.

Blessings!

Upvote 0
S

swordmaster

This bring up an interesting question. Where does one ever get the idea that the New Testament is to be understood in the same way that the Old Testament was, as a legal code? Are there other ways that the phrase "law of Christ" could be understood?

I've been thinking about this for some time and am very interested in hearing the ways others can think of.

Aggie03, actually, the first covenant (what we normally call the Old Covenant) wasn't really a legal code. The first covenant had to be established in order to establish the criteria for righteousness and sanctification, so that the future Messiah could fulfill them in completeness. The first covenant had to precede the New Covenant, so that Christ could fulfill all righteousness and sanctification in order that He could pass them down to us as free gifts in the New Covenant. Without the first covenant, the second would be useless for eternal life.

The "law of Christ" is also called the "royal law" (James), the "law of faith" (Romans 3), "law of the Spirit" (Romans 8), and the "law of liberty" (James). Basically, from what I understand, Hebrews 7.12 explains it somewhat...

"For when there is a change in the priesthood, there is necessarily a change in the law as well."

We are still mandated in the New Covenant to obey the "law" and "commandments" of the New Covenant, not that of the Old Covenant. We still have to obey God in order to participate in the covenant, but today we obey in the "new and living way of the Spirit" instead of the old way of obeying the law etched in stone tablets.

These commandments of Jesus are Love God with our whole mind, body, soul and heart, love on others as opportunity presents themselves, abide in Christ, Walk in the spirit, and obey the voice of the Spirit of God when He would move upon us to do His will. There may be more, but I'm so tired my eyes are crossing!!! Got to go to bed!

Blessings!

Upvote 0

sterken7983

Apr 10, 2011
✟7,661.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
yea, i agree that the Law of Christ is EXACTLY what the Bible says it is: a LAW is a LEGAL commandment! So, if it is of Christ, it is a LAW of Our Redeemer, Our Mediator, the Lamb of God, the Holy Sacrifice for our Vicarious Atonement.

Jesus came not to ABOLISH THE LAW! Heaven forfend! But He came to FULFILL the law! So that now, the LAW would not be softened but even MORE real! For Christ said, Moses told you that he who puts away his wife commits adultery and he who takes the wife ALSO commits adultery. But I say unto you: he who simply LOOKS upon a woman with lust hath already committed ADULTERY with her in his heart!

If the Law of Christ was not an actual LAW, it would have been written the Teaching of Christ or the Advice of Christ. One thing I find amazing is how people who are supposedly GODLY can spend their WHOLE lives POURING over scripture yet never get the whole picture. I suppose it is because God has purposefully hid it from them.

The Bible shows that God the Father DOESN'T change. And He is very black and white. Sin = death. Repentance = life. So: don't sin, repent, and walk by faith in Christ!

I think people debate this Law of Christ thing to try and find loopholes to sin, like mankind is prone to do. Chirst's Law would be the Gospel, the first 4 books of the New Testament, just as the Law of the Father is the Torah, the first 5 books of the Old Testament.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

benidict

benidict
May 26, 2011
Oahu Hawaii/Paradise. :)
✟15,236.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
Actually its the law of love we follow. It is very much spelled out in the Book of James which seems to be ignored by many preaching salvation by faith alone. Luther did not like this book either. Faith without works IS dead. Which works are we required to perfom? Read James and find out. Any Christian should be able to follow these principles since they, along with faith lead to Eternal Life. :wave:

Upvote 0

in1

Sep 30, 2011
✟15,325.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married

Joh 15:25
But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause.

Jesus refers to a verse in the book of Psalms in this passage as their law. There are two types of law, one genders to bondage the other is Life, Him. There is always an anti to every revealing in scritpure. From the waters above and below the firmament to the Bride and the harlot of Revelation. What we must realize is that the New Testament can become law as well, something less than Him. This truth can be gleaned from revelation chapter 9 and is a present realitiy now in the church and I don't use this word church lightly.

Upvote 0

russ98

Nov 10, 2011
✟15,132.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Awesome post, Martinius. Cheers.

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Retired Coach, Now Missionary to the World
Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
the Book of James which seems to be ignored by many preaching salvation by faith alone. Luther did not like this book either. Faith without works IS dead. Which works are we required to perfom? Read James and find out. Any Christian should be able to follow these principles since they, along with faith lead to Eternal Life. :wave:

WOW, you found something we can agree on!!!! You can not be saved by faith alone.

Upvote 0