what is the gospel?

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
The Gospel is that Christ came to earth, lived a sinless life, shed his blood at the cross, died, rose again to save us from our sins.
What? Nothing about salvation being conditioned upon faith?

How would a Calvinist answer the question "What must I do to be saved?", and does it match Paul's answer in Acts 16?

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Man is a hopeless sinner. Ephesians 2:1; Mark 7:21-23; Jeremiah 17:9
God chose to save certain sinners not because of anything worthy in them but solely on the basis of His own will. Ephesians 1:4-8; Romans 9:11;
The death of Jesus atoned for those that the Father elected. John 10:15; Ephesians 5:25; John 3:16; Matthew 1:21
God's determination to save cannot be resisted by those that are elect. Acts of the Apostles 13:48; Romans 8:28-30
Those whom God began to save will complete it until the Day of Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:6

These points do not deny the Scriptures which speak of Jesus as dying for the whole world, but interprets those verses in light of those like the ones quotes above. (world is meant in the sense of inclusivitey; men from every nation, tribe, and tongue).
They also do not deny those verses which speak of men as losing their salvation, but understands that such men were not truly saved to begin with, but whose faith and repentance were a mere pretense, or were self-deceived.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Gospel is that Christ came to earth, lived a sinless life, shed his blood at the cross, died, rose again to save us from our sins.

I agree.
This IS the Gospel of Jesus. It's our duty to preach this gospel so that sinners will be convicted by the Holy Spirit to accept it, by faith.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
What? Nothing about salvation being conditioned upon faith?

How would a Calvinist answer the question "What must I do to be saved?", and does it match Paul's answer in Acts 16?
The traditional Calvinist answer would be repent and believe the Gospel. Repent is important, because Reformed are concerned that some Christians teach salvation by belief without any effect on the person.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
to a Calvinist what is the gospel?

by R.C. Sproul

"There is no greater message to be heard than that which we call the gospel. But as important as that is, it is often given to massive distortions or over simplifications. People think they’re preaching the gospel to you when they tell you, ‘you can have a purpose to your life’, or that ‘you can have meaning to your life’, or that ‘you can have a personal relationship with Jesus.’ All of those things are true, and they’re all important, but they don’t get to the heart of the gospel.

The gospel is called the ‘good news’ because it addresses the most serious problem that you and I have as human beings, and that problem is simply this: God is holy and He is just, and I’m not. And at the end of my life, I’m going to stand before a just and holy God, and I’ll be judged. And I’ll be judged either on the basis of my own righteousness–or lack of it–or the righteousness of another. The good news of the gospel is that Jesus lived a life of perfect righteousness, of perfect obedience to God, not for His own well being but for His people. He has done for me what I couldn’t possibly do for myself. But not only has He lived that life of perfect obedience, He offered Himself as a perfect sacrifice to satisfy the justice and the righteousness of God.

The great misconception in our day is this: that God isn’t concerned to protect His own integrity. He’s a kind of wishy-washy deity, who just waves a wand of forgiveness over everybody. No. For God to forgive you is a very costly matter. It cost the sacrifice of His own Son. So valuable was that sacrifice that God pronounced it valuable by raising Him from the dead–so that Christ died for us, He was raised for our justification. So the gospel is something objective. It is the message of who Jesus is and what He did. And it also has a subjective dimension. How are the benefits of Jesus subjectively appropriated to us? How do I get it? The Bible makes it clear that we are justified not by our works, not by our efforts, not by our deeds, but by faith–and by faith alone. The only way you can receive the benefit of Christ’s life and death is by putting your trust in Him–and in Him alone. You do that, you’re declared just by God, you’re adopted into His family, you’re forgiven of all of your sins, and you have begun your pilgrimage for eternity."

LIGONIER MINISTRIES BLOG

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Of him all the prophets speak, that all who believe in him recieved the forgiveness of sin through his name (Acts 10:43)

In Calvinism there is no ecclesiastical authority that is an agent of salvation. Salvation is not based on your own efforts but the Soverign will of God, as he told Moses, 'I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy'. From the womb, before you were born, even before the foundation of the world God knew the elect. Christ alone, grace alone, Scripture alone the Calvinist sees salvation as a once and for all time where God's Soverign will, mercy, justice and man's fallen but definitive will come together by the will of the Father, the sacrifice of the Son, through the power of the Holy Spirit to the glory of God.

Last edited:
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟292,669.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
These points do not deny the Scriptures which speak of Jesus as dying for the whole world, but interprets those verses in light of those like the ones quotes above. (world is meant in the sense of inclusivitey; men from every nation, tribe, and tongue).

thank you for all of what you posted. i have only quoted this small portion as it pertains to what i am currently most interested in about the Calvinist worldview.

why do you think world does not really mean every single person in the world in those verses?

why would world not mean ethevery single person in whole world?

i wonder what that phrase 'the world' means in the original language?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟292,669.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The traditional Calvinist answer would be repent and believe the Gospel. Repent is important, because Reformed are concerned that some Christians teach salvation by belief without any effect on the person.
interesting.
how can one believe and it not have an effect.

Of him all the prophets speak, that all who believe in him recieved the forgiveness of sin through his name (Acts 10:43)

In Calvinism there is no ecclesiastical authority that is an agent of salvation. Salvation is not based on your own efforts but the Soverign will of God, as he told Moses, 'I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy'. From the womb, before you were born, even before the foundation of the world God knew the elect. Christ alone, grace alone, Scripture alone the Calvinist sees salvation as a once and for all time where God's Soverign will, mercy, justice and man's fallen but definitive will come together by the will of the Father, the sacrifice of the Son, through the power of the Holy Spirit to the glory of God.

that makes me think why would a person need Jesus at all if they are elect. being elect from the beginning of time seems to be the only qualification needed.

i'm not trying to be flippant just trying to get some of the concepts.

Upvote 0

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟292,669.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What Is the Gospel?
by R.C. Sproul

"There is no greater message to be heard than that which we call the gospel. But as important as that is, it is often given to massive distortions or over simplifications. People think they’re preaching the gospel to you when they tell you, ‘you can have a purpose to your life’, or that ‘you can have meaning to your life’, or that ‘you can have a personal relationship with Jesus.’ All of those things are true, and they’re all important, but they don’t get to the heart of the gospel.

The gospel is called the ‘good news’ because it addresses the most serious problem that you and I have as human beings, and that problem is simply this: God is holy and He is just, and I’m not. And at the end of my life, I’m going to stand before a just and holy God, and I’ll be judged. And I’ll be judged either on the basis of my own righteousness–or lack of it–or the righteousness of another. The good news of the gospel is that Jesus lived a life of perfect righteousness, of perfect obedience to God, not for His own well being but for His people. He has done for me what I couldn’t possibly do for myself. But not only has He lived that life of perfect obedience, He offered Himself as a perfect sacrifice to satisfy the justice and the righteousness of God.

The great misconception in our day is this: that God isn’t concerned to protect His own integrity. He’s a kind of wishy-washy deity, who just waves a wand of forgiveness over everybody. No. For God to forgive you is a very costly matter. It cost the sacrifice of His own Son. So valuable was that sacrifice that God pronounced it valuable by raising Him from the dead–so that Christ died for us, He was raised for our justification. So the gospel is something objective. It is the message of who Jesus is and what He did. And it also has a subjective dimension. How are the benefits of Jesus subjectively appropriated to us? How do I get it? The Bible makes it clear that we are justified not by our works, not by our efforts, not by our deeds, but by faith–and by faith alone. The only way you can receive the benefit of Christ’s life and death is by putting your trust in Him–and in Him alone. You do that, you’re declared just by God, you’re adopted into His family, you’re forgiven of all of your sins, and you have begun your pilgrimage for eternity."

LIGONIER MINISTRIES BLOG

no offense as i realise R C Sproul is revered in Calvinist circles but would love to hear peoples own thoughts on things.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
no offense as i realise R C Sproul is revered in Calvinist circles but would love to hear peoples own thoughts on things.

My opinion is, C.H. Spurgeon was spot on when he said;

C.H. Spurgeon, Gospel Quote 3.jpg

Google the sermon if you want the context, but I suspect no desire.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
interesting.
Faith has a wide possible range of meanings. See e.g. James 2:19 "Even the demons believe—and shudder." Saving faith is associated with repentance. Not in the legalistic sense that God has a checklist with every sin and we're in trouble if we forget one, but in the sense of changing direction to being a follower of Jesus. If we're to square Paul's concept of justification by faith with Jesus' teachings, then I think we need to equate having faith in Jesus with being a follower of Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟292,669.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Faith has a wide possible range of meanings. See e.g. James 2:19 "Even the demons believe—and shudder." Saving faith is associated with repentance. Not in the legalistic sense that God has a checklist with every sin and we're in trouble if we forget one, but in the sense of changing direction to being a follower of Jesus. If we're to square Paul's concept of justification by faith with Jesus' teachings, then I think we need to equate having faith in Jesus with being a follower of Jesus.

yes.
To me believe is Believe! you either do believe in Jesus and what He accomplished on the cross or you dont... and that is going to have an effect either way.

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
thank you for all of what you posted. i have only quoted this small portion as it pertains to what i am currently most interested in about the Calvinist worldview.

why do you think world does not really mean every single person in the world in those verses?

why would world not mean ethevery single person in whole world?

i wonder what that phrase 'the world' means in the original language?

Taking world to not mean every single person would be more consistent with Scripture than taking it to mean every person. For instance, Jesus specifically excluded the whole world in His high priestly prayer to the Father in John 17:9. He comes back in John 17:20 and adds "them also which believe on Me through their word. In John 3:16, we are told that "God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish...." Again, a qualifier of those who believe. In speaking to the seven churches, Jesus declares and then ends with "to him who overcomes, I will give...." In one case the overcomer is promised "to eat of the tree of life which is in the midst of the paradise of God" (Rev 2:7) and in another, the overcomer is clothed in white raiment and is not blotted out of the book of life and Jesus also says He will confess his name before The Father and before His angels. (Rev 3:5) That is consistent with an earlier teaching of Jesus: "If you deny Me before men, I will deny you before the Father." (Matt 10:33) This doesn't even include the list of people who won't be in the kingdom of God from Revelation, Galatians, Ephesians, 1 Corinthians, and Romans.

In the Old Testament, God started over with Noah and his family. In both Exodus 32 and Number 14, God told Moses that He was going to start over with Moses, but Moses interceded for the people and God changed His mind, according to the Scriptures.

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
interesting.

that makes me think why would a person need Jesus at all if they are elect. being elect from the beginning of time seems to be the only qualification needed.

i'm not trying to be flippant just trying to get some of the concepts.

With regard to your two questions,

(1) James speaks of that kind of pseudo or intellectual belief that doesn't have any affect on the person and compares it to the demons who "believe and tremble".

(2) Being elect wouldn't have to exclude the need for God to pay the price to redeem those He has elected from the consequences of the bad choices they made. Elect doesn't mean righteous without coming to the place where they hear and believe in Jesus and what He did for them.

Upvote 0