What is the evidence for the existence of a Moral Law?

Andy Pierce

Jun 4, 2021
Austin
✟12,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
What do you mean by evidence? That the moral law exists is a first principle, an axiomatic assumption. Without it there are no limits on what we would be permitted to do, except materialistic concerns.
The very first part of the Moral Argument so many people espouse is 'A moral law exists'.
If someone could say it doesn't exist then the argument is worth nothing.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't see how one could prove to someone that a moral law exists.

The proof that any kind of universal "moral law" exists would be the same as the proof that God exists. A universal moral law would, in all practicality, be a god.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,088.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The very first part of the Moral Argument so many people espouse is 'A moral law exists'.
If someone could say it doesn't exist then the argument is worth nothing.

Right, that's because it's an assumption. There's no material proof for immaterial concepts, it's a starting off point from which we build our thoughts, otherwise moral language about anything becomes meaningless. There would then be no rules, no anything. The consequence of the thought that there is no morality is that there is nothing evil or good. Why indulge this thought? It just leads to nihilism.

Upvote 0

Andy Pierce

Jun 4, 2021
Austin
✟12,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Right, that's because it's an assumption. There's no material proof for immaterial concepts, it's a starting off point from which we build our thoughts, otherwise moral language about anything becomes meaningless. There would then be no rules, no anything. The consequence of the thought that there is no morality is that there is nothing evil or good. Why indulge this thought? It just leads to nihilism.
I must wonder why people like William Lane Craig and Frank Turek spend so much time talking about it then.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,088.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I must wonder why people like William Lane Craig and Frank Turek spend so much time talking about it then.
Been a while since I've listened to William Lane Craig but I don't recall his view being substantively different from my own. He also takes the existence of morality for granted and builds his arguments on it.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I can sort of see "Moral Law" in nature as far as an Aristotelian interpretation of it. This in a number of ways corresponds to certain Hebraic concepts that relates to the essence or intended function of a thing.
This can often be related to sexuality and concepts around that as far as reproduction etc. But it also has a lot of foundation in things that bring health, and wholeness to the person and society at large.

So even things like honesty, could be found in it because of the chaos and damage that lying and dishonesty have in society. etc.

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Gods law is moral law, it's written on our heart, mind, and soul. The problem is that sin entered the world, and is continuing to corrupt, and destroy everything.

Martin Luther called this the "old man on our back" sadly, it will continue until the end.

Gods law is perfect, we just can't follow it.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hebrews 10:16
"This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 10:16
"This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds."

But who is the "them" and the "their?" It's those people with whom God has established a covenant-and as the writer of Hebrews points out, a covenant is made only by the shedding of blood.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But who is the "them" and the "their?" It's those people with whom God has established a covenant-and as the writer of Hebrews points out, a covenant is made only by the shedding of blood.

That verse was a quote taken from Jeremiah and if that was all there was we could say God only wrote this upon the hearts of the Israelite's, but that isn't the only verse.

Romans 2:14-15
14 for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, 15 who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them)
Not just to the Israelite's but to us also.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CatsRule2020

Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2020
Denver
✟68,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That verse was a quote taken from Jeremiah and if that was all there was we could say God only wrote this upon the hearts of the Israelite's, but that isn't the only verse.

14 for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, 15 who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them)
The OP is asking us to prove this. As if we were in court. It will have to be proven by having enough of and powerful enough circumstantial evidence. This is because we are dealing with an abstract subject.

• Winner
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Paul is certainly not saying that about all gentiles, but about the subset of gentiles who actually do behave as those who have the law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think that it is actually rather straightforward to make the case that there exists a set of behaviors and attitudes that, if practiced / demonstrated, would promote attainment of what I believe to be universally-held human goals: peace, justice, freedom, comfort, etc. This set of behaviors / attitudes would not be a "law" in the sense most people mean by "law", but it would still be a universally "optimal" set of such behaviors / practices.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The OP is asking us to prove this. As if we were in court. It will have to be proven by having enough of and powerful enough circumstantial evidence. This is because we are dealing with an abstract subject.

The scriptures are proof enough.
If others wish to argue outside of scripture has nothing to do with me. Plus I am taking a break from arguing on here, it becomes too draining.
So they can take or leave my answer, can't they.

Upvote 0

AACJ

Please Pray
Nov 17, 2016
US
✟103,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
A cumulative argument is very helpful.

Genuine moral obligations are a good starting point for publican discussion, I think. They are an unexplained moral fact in a material-only world. They are best explained under Christian theism; such explanation (if done right), when included in a cumulative moral argument, puts another nail in the coffin of naturalism and naturalistic moral realism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Andy,

Well...you could read the Scriptures. There has been a moral law since the days of the Israelites leaving Egypt at least.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

CatsRule2020

Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2020
Denver
✟68,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If another person or organization did something that you felt was wrong, to you, a loved one, or a pet or animal, yet the act was legal, then you would know that your conscience was hitting against the moral law.

Upvote 0