What Is The Difference Between Man`s Soul And His Spirit?

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul says we are body, soul, and spirit. Our spirit died in Adam. Before that, it was in touch with God and controlled the soul (mind). God resurrects our spirit from the dead in the new birth. This restores our original relationship with God. But until then, our spirit is enslaved to the wicked flesh (soul) and goes unnoticed. But in the new birth, it becomes noticeable in the tension it experiences while opposing the flesh.

The Holy Spirit was with our born again spirit in the OT. But since Pentecost, the Holy Spirit dwells in all who are born again.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Whether you consider the spirit a part of the soul or a separate entity, the spirit is the organ that is regenerated when we are born again and through which God the Holy Spirit communicates with us. There is a big difference in the fruit of the soul and the spirit as the following verses explain:

What Does the Bible Say About Flesh Vs Spirit?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟167,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
1 Thes 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
(NOTE: Your whole Spirit & Soul & Body)

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
(NOTE: God's word is quick/alive, powerful & sharper than any two edged sword. Even able to pierce & divide Soul & Spirit,)

Spirit is the everlasting eternal part of each of us.

Soul is our thoughts & emotions that direct the actions we take. And functions only in relation with our body.

The body, well, look into a mirror.

Gen 2:7 The LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and "breathed" into his nostrils the "breath of life"; and man became a living soul.
(NOTE: The LORD God (Nishmat Hayyim) "breathed spirit into mans body & man became a living soul)

It's only a "living soul" in relation to & in conjunction with, the body.

When the body dies & the two are no longer one. Yet, the spirit continues to lives on.

A soul is something that breaths: Strong's Hebrew: 5315. נָ֫פֶשׁ (nephesh) -- a soul, living being, life, self, person, desire, passion, appetite, emotion

A spirit doesn't have flesh, bones, lungs. (Lk 24:39)

Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Matt 16:26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
(NOTE: A soul can be lost)

Our choice here to accept/embrace Christ's sin atoning payment & resurrection will determine whether we spend eternity in the presents of God our creator. Or to reject Christ's sin atoning payment & resurrection & spend eternity separated from Christ/God our creator.

Matt 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟326,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

All Opinions Welcomed

I have heard before that a soul is what animates us. In that regard even animals have souls. Dogs are certainly animated, and have different personalities just like humans. But man is the only animal with a spirit. Our spirit is what gives us our awareness of God, and moves us to commune with him.

Reactions: RickReads
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟892,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

All Opinions Welcomed

Man’s soul is his consciousness and his personality. Man’s spirit is his eternal essence in which his soul resides. It’s our eternal spirit that sets us apart from animals in the next life. Animals posses a soul but not an eternal spirit so animals do not go to heaven after they die. I know I’m sorry to break this to all the animal lovers out there but this is what the scriptures say not my words.

Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Animals posses a soul but not an eternal spirit so animals do not go to heaven after they die. I know I’m sorry to break this to all the animal lovers out there but this is what the scriptures say not my words.

Did you see the word "Man`s" in the OP?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟587,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First, I understand your spirit is your nonmaterial self, what is you but not your body.

And your soul is included in your spirit, but your soul is you experiencing what is happening in your spirit and in your body.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟892,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Are you going to explain the purpose of this thread, or what information you're seeking?

I`m contemplating whether or not the soul gets redeemed or if it needs to be redeemed every day, and what happens to the natural man when the Holy Spirit enters a person.

I needed to make sure I have my OP question clearly answered in my own mind as I do all that. Some of the posts on this thread are helpful, at least to me. The difference between soul and spirit has never been a focus of my studies before now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟587,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I`m contemplating whether or not the soul gets redeemed
When a person trusts in Jesus, right away the person's spirit and soul and body are redeemed, meaning they belong to God now and the person is forgiven for all sins of soul and spirit and body.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new." (2 Corinthians 5:17)

But . . . what then comes, day to day?

the soul gets redeemed or if it needs to be redeemed every day,
Every day, we need how God's grace effects us in our spirit and soul and body. First, yes, we became adopted, spirit and soul and body; that is the redemption which comes with first trusting in Jesus to reconcile us with God and get us forgiven; that is the redemption which gets us started.
what happens to the natural man when the Holy Spirit enters a person.
After a person becomes redeemed to become a child of God, now comes how God is changing our character, day by day, by the grace of God's correction; and day by day we are submitting to how He personally guides us in His own peace > Colossians 3:15.

Each day, God redeems us . . . meaning He recycles how we are, into how we can become in His love. Ones call this the process of sanctification. There is Hebrews 12:4-14 which shows how God's correction in us has us become sharing with Him in His own holiness of His very own love.

God's grace works in our spirit and soul and body, every day, then, while we submit to God and actively seek His correction. Most importantly God's correction changes our character so we are sharing with Him in His love >

"Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world." (1 John 4:17)

So, how we are human can be recycled into how we can be in God's love.

This is a spiritual process, I might say "of course". And the soul is the experiencing realm of our spirit which has us actually experiencing submitting to God, being grieved by His correction, but then sharing with Him in His love's "peaceable fruit of righteousness" > Hebrews 12:4-14.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟892,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My point to you was, without intending to say it, is the animal remarks were unnecessary.

I understand that but I thought it was an interesting observation when I learned about the subject so I included it. I didn’t expect anyone would object to it.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,644.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I`m contemplating whether or not the soul gets redeemed or if it needs to be redeemed every day, and what happens to the natural man when the Holy Spirit enters a person.

I needed to make sure I have my OP question clearly answered in my own mind as I do all that. Some of the posts on this thread are helpful, at least to me. The difference between soul and spirit has never been a focus of my studies before now.

Job does not get a new wife/soul but new children/thoughts ...

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟285,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

All Opinions Welcomed

The Hebrew words "nefesh", "ruach", "neshama", "chaya", and "yechida" all get arbitrarily translated as either "spirit" or "soul", none of which are adequately translated by either "spirit" or "soul", so they are the best bad words to describe the concepts.

Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The Hebrew words "nefesh", "ruach", "neshama", "chaya", and "yechida" all get arbitrarily translated as either "spirit" or "soul", none of which are adequately translated by either "spirit" or "soul", so they are the best bad words to describe the concepts.

Years ago a Messianic believer tried to explain all that to me and I couldn`t wrap my mind around it all.
If you can find the right ones they represent Peter`s church quite nicely and their theology is real good stuff.

I had a lot of it saved but lost years of my research to a computer virus a few years ago unfortunately.

Upvote 0