✟83,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
MormonFriend said:
Let's back up a notch. I am trying to understand this "purpose" as Gwit said: "The purpose of the law was to show us our guilt. ....." And then said: "The law shows us that we are guilty. Does a person without sin need a remedy for sin?"
What I want to know is can a person sin if there is no law?

Romans 4
15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.

Romans 5
12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Every commandment of God is a law.

Micah 4:2
And many nations will come and say,
“Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD
And to the House of the God of Jacob,
That He may teach us about His ways
And that we may walk in His paths.”
For from Zion will go forth the Law
Even the Word of the LORD from Jerusalem.

1 John 3:4
"Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law." Sin is lawlessness, anarchy, rebellion. In other words sin is rebellion against God.

Everyone has rebelled against God.

Romans 3
20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Upvote 0

Wrigley

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟21,012.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Jason the Evangelist said:
You know my wife felt the burning bosom for the first time over the new years holiday. Course, it was precipitated by a shot of Puerto Rican Rum.....but hey, at least she finally felt it!

I would have thought when you both said "I do" on your wedding day would have done that.

Upvote 0
Wrigley said:
JtE said:
You know my wife felt the burning bosom for the first time over the new years holiday. Course, it was precipitated by a shot of Puerto Rican Rum.....but hey, at least she finally felt it!
I would have thought when you both said "I do" on your wedding day would have done that.
That is a great example! The burning of the bosom is a result of the presence of genuine love. When the Holy Ghost is personally testifying of truth, including an answer regarding the validity and understanding of the Book of Mormon, there is pure love dwelling within. The focus is the understanding received, the burning is a natural result of the presence of the Spirit of God.

Upvote 0

Wrigley

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟21,012.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
MormonFriend said:
That is a great example! The burning of the bosom is a result of the presence of genuine love. When the Holy Ghost is personally testifying of truth, including an answer regarding the validity and understanding of the Book of Mormon, there is pure love dwelling within. The focus is the understanding received, the burning is a natural result of the presence of the Spirit of God.

You may want to revise your statement. I'd hate to have Chris take your comment that he and his wife don't share a genuine love for each other....

Upvote 0

happyinhisgrace

Blessed Trinity
Jan 2, 2004
✟19,496.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
MormonFriend said:
hhhmmm, I don't always "feel" a presence of "genuine love" because the Holy Spirit is living within me but I know He is still there and will never leave me. It isn't about feelings. Feelings are flighty and unreliable.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟83,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
MormonFriend said:

:idea: I finally figured out what you're talking about! Hormones!

Upvote 0

Wrigley

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟21,012.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Fit4Christ said:
*off topic*

Wrigley - Happy Birthday brother in Christ. May your Cubbies meet my M's in the World Series this year.

*back on topic*

Thanks for the greetings.

I'll take a Cub/M's series. I'll feel your pain when the M's lose though. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Wrigley said:
You may want to revise your statement. I'd hate to have Chris take your comment that he and his wife don't share a genuine love for each other....

My thoughts are that they did feel it at their wedding, and now they have a better idea to compare that warmth which we referr to as a burning bosom, other than booze.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟83,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
MormonFriend said:
Where and how do you derive this conclusion?

Feelings or emotions, such as joy, sadness, and anger come and go. Facts remain the same whether we feel angry or elated.

Upvote 0
O

Onemonthman

MormonFriend said:
So the burning bosom is like when you get married? Hmmm, how many marriages, even temple ones, end in divorce? I would say that going into a marriage based on a warm feeling makes about as much sense as staking your salvation on one. Wait, it makes much more sense.

Upvote 0

happyinhisgrace

Blessed Trinity
Jan 2, 2004
✟19,496.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
MormonFriend said:
Where and how do you derive this conclusion?
The Word of God.

Feelings come and go so often. Feelings are NOT a reliable measuring stick for truth. Truth will always be truth, feelings will not always remain the same. Truth does not change, feelings do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
GodsWordisTrue said:
Feelings or emotions, such as joy, sadness, and anger come and go. Facts remain the same whether we feel angry or elated.

That is a secular view. Where in scripture does it say: "Feelings are flighty and unreliable."

The Word of God.

Feelings come and go so often. Feelings are NOT a reliable measuring stick for truth. Truth will always be truth, feelings will not always remain the same. Truth does not change, feelings do.
Where in the word of God does it say this?

Upvote 0
Onemonthman said:
So the burning bosom is like when you get married? Hmmm, how many marriages, even temple ones, end in divorce?

Not all people approach marriage the same. You seemed to avoid the common denominator of love that causes a warmth to the heart and bosom.

I would say that going into a marriage based on a warm feeling makes about as much sense as staking your salvation on one.

If you haven't heard yet, please listen. The notion that we base our decisions or choices on feelings is false. Our decisions and choices are based on the knowledge and understanding received by the Holy Ghost.

Look at this example where understanding and feelings were absent. Note that they are lost together for reasons of iniquity.
Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:

19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

(Ephesians4:18 - 19)

Similar teaching in the BoM:
45 Ye are swift to do iniquity but slow to remember the Lord your God. Ye have seen an angel, and he spake unto you; yea, ye have heard his voice from time to time; and he hath spoken unto you in a still small voice, but ye were past feeling, that ye could not feel his words; wherefore, he has spoken unto you like unto the voice of thunder, which did cause the earth to shake as if it were to divide asunder.

(Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi17:45)

It is also noteworthy per you post, that people can go into marriage with a love, and let it die by not applying the constant care love needs to nurture it. They had something good, but did not value it in the long run. (Unfortunately the other spouse often gives their all, but it takes two.) In like manner, a person can ask God in faith for something, receive an answer, and later on let their faith die by not applying the constant care faith needs to nurture it. They had something good, but did not value it in the long run. God always gives His all, but again, it takes two.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.