What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
My second piece of advice:

Make friends at church. Attend services and parties and engage in small talk.

I need to find a church...although I feel quite scared to. This forum is my only method of interacting with other followers.

I hate small talk ^_^

Upvote 0

Bryan H

Looking for God in all the wrong places
Jan 19, 2016
Newark
✟19,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don't try to rationalize what you don't understand. God is not rational by human standards. I saw you posted something about why Hell is eternal and "wouldn't it be less evil if..." CAREFUl with that. Just be thankful you've been given an opportunity to avoid going there.

Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Don't try to rationalize what you don't understand. God is not rational by human standards. I saw you posted something about why Hell is eternal and "wouldn't it be less evil if..." CAREFUl with that. Just be thankful you've been given an opportunity to avoid going there.
But why does hell have to be eternal?

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,894.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The truth is, I have never known what happens after we die. Some people say we "sleep", whilst others say that we go straight to heaven or hell. It confuses me.

Are you ever skeptical about these testimonies by these people who claim they have gone to heaven or experienced the supernatural? I can not remember where but I remember reading scripture saying how nobody has ever seen what God has prepared for them. I often feel really cautious about whether they are telling the truth, and often pass it as being a chance for them to gain money (there are so many).

Why do you believe that we go straight to heaven or hell? Is there any scripture for this, this has always annoyed me and I would like to understand, thank you, sir.

These are some of the best scriptures on this that were the key to my being able to accept many near death experience accounts.

2 Corinthians 12

12 I must needs glory, though it is not expedient; but I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.

2 I know a man in Christ, fourteen years ago (whether in the body, I know not; or whether out of the body, I know not; God knoweth), such a one caught up even to the third heaven.

3 And I know such a man (whether in the body, or apart from the body, I know not; God knoweth), 4 how that he was caught up into Paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

These scriptures clarified this other statement for me:

Phl 1:23

For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,894.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
These are visions that someone had?

Perhaps... or perhaps it may have been Paul himself during one of those brushes with death that he had.

Acts14:19

And there came thither certain Jews from Antioch and Iconium, who persuaded the people, and, having stoned Paul, drew him out of the city, supposing he had been dead."

We also should ask ourselves why they wanted to kill Lazarus who had been resurrected?

Could it partly have been due to the interesting testimony that he had for those four days of death?????

John 12:10

But the chief priests consulted that they might put Lazarus also to death;

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hell is often used as the place where sin must be punished, because nothing unholy can enter heaven.

The word sheol - sometimes translated hell - has the more general sense of the place of the departed, whether believing or not.

The vital thing is that the Lord Jesus died at the Cross so that His precious blood could cleanse all who would believe in Him; Hebrews chapter 1 is a wonderful chapter.

• Informative
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟892,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you have any advice for a young Christian such as myself?

Are there any regrets that you have from your younger days?

I’ll just keep this simple and say be careful of the things you expose yourself to in life. Ungodly music with bad lyrics, distasteful pictures, movies, videos, etc can be avenues of temptation and can come back to haunt you in your thoughts. For example sometimes I get ungodly songs stuck in my head that are hard to get rid of because they are kind of catchy. Same with pictures and movies, they can be hard to get out of your thoughts once your exposed to them. It’s kind of the same aspect as addicting drugs. If you never try them you don’t know what your missing and you never desire them but once you try them you will find that you like them and don’t want to stop doing them. So be afraid of the ungodly things you might actually like.

• Useful
Reactions: -Luca
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I’ll just keep this simple and say be careful of the things you expose yourself to in life. Ungodly music with bad lyrics, distasteful pictures, movies, videos, etc can be avenues of temptation and can come back to haunt you in your thoughts. For example sometimes I get ungodly songs stuck in my head that are hard to get rid of because they are kind of catchy. Same with pictures and movies, they can be hard to get out of your thoughts once your exposed to them. It’s kind of the same aspect as addicting drugs. If you never try them you don’t know what your missing and you never desire them but once you try them you will find that you like them and don’t want to stop doing them. So be afraid of the ungodly things you might actually like.
I like playing hymns on CD in the car. Good, background music... :)

Upvote 0

His student

Jan 10, 2019
Northwest
✟48,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you have any advice for a young Christian such as myself? .....
Believe the scripture that says that "by grace you have been saved through faith".

Beware of any theologian, preacher or teacher who reverses the order.
.......Are there any regrets that you have from your younger days?
Yes.

As a new Christian I listened to a preacher who had the order reversed and came to believe that I was lost every time I did something dirty. I then had to get saved again. Only to be lost again and saved again every so often.

There are many here is this forum who preach that same false gospel.

In time I simply gave up on so called Christianity because the pain of sinning, repenting and getting saved again every so often was no way to live.

I lost 15 good years to the world simply because I misunderstood that I did good works because I was saved and not in order to get or stay saved.

Understanding the truth has made my walk with the Lord a pleasure for the last 4+ decades.

I have many regrets in my life since coming back to the Lord and I know that some of them will cost me in some way when I meet God face to face. But one thing I do not fear for one moment is that He will not welcome me into His presence with open arms.

I know Whom I have believe and I am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have entrusted to Him against the day of judgment.

Assuming that your conversion was real and that you have been born again - figure out the simple gospel of grace and run like a scalded cat from anyone who denies it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

His student

Jan 10, 2019
Northwest
✟48,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why it has to be eternal - only God knows.

But He says that it's eternal and that should settle it - unless you want to make up your own religion.

Some folks do of course - right here in this forum.

• Haha
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟246,240.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you have any advice for a young Christian such as myself?

Seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness. The world and it's desires will pass away, but whatever you do for the Kingdom of God will last forever.

Upvote 0

His student

Jan 10, 2019
Northwest
✟48,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great verse there! :)
Salvation is a gift of God lest any man should boast.:)

I'm so glad that it is because I have proven hundreds and more likely thousands of times that I'm unable to earn it or deserve it.

Upvote 0

spiritualchristian7

Aug 6, 2019
NCR
✟16,028.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Real maturity starts with maturity in faith
because then you'll know what you really ought to do or what you should be focusing on

Focus on your life's purpose, not selfish ambition.
(but, if you do have an ambition, remember this: Just do your best, and God will do the rest)
Don't cling onto your present life
To live is Christ, to die is gain
Look up, don't look around you
Focus on spiritual rewards, not perishable things

Always remember that It is no longer you who live, but Christ who lives in you.
Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 13, 2019
Gainesville
✟15,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Read Galatians, and make sure you understand what it says about the covenant between God and Abraham, so you’re certain that the faith Abraham had and nothing else is required to be counted righteous. That book clears out all confusions about whether anything more is required, as long as you look hard at what it especially says about the covenant of faith that can’t be changed. It should help protect you from disturbing doctrines later.

I had to wrestle with a lot of questions over a long time that would have been quickly answered if I had slowed down and carefully read what Galatians says about Abraham’s covenant-that once Abraham was righteous through faith alone, no further requirement could be added, period.

Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Very true. I think that it is essential to withdraw from exposing yourself to worldly things. From my experience, these things have made me stumble in the past. Thank you.

• Friendly
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Read Galatians, and make sure you understand what it says about the covenant between God and Abraham, so you’re certain that the faith Abraham had and nothing else is required to be counted righteous. That book clears out all confusions about whether anything more is required, as long as you look hard at what it especially says about the covenant of faith that can’t be changed. It should help protect you from disturbing doctrines later.

I had to wrestle with a lot of questions over a long time that would have been quickly answered if I had slowed down and carefully read what Galatians says about Abraham’s covenant-that once Abraham was righteous through faith alone, no further requirement could be added, period.
Isn't it only the sacrifice of Jesus and His grace that qualifies one for being righteous?

Upvote 0

spiritualchristian7

Aug 6, 2019
NCR
✟16,028.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Very true. I think that it is essential to withdraw from exposing yourself to worldly things. From my experience, these things have made me stumble in the past. Thank you.
100% agree
stay away from worldliness
the spirit if this world is not from God

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2019
Gainesville
✟15,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Isn't it only the sacrifice of Jesus and His grace that qualifies one for being righteous?

Yes! And faith is only seeing that and trusting Him for it! The importance of it being faith THROUGH which we’re saved is that it’s leaning only on Jesus that characterizes faith-and an understanding of Abraham believing in God and being credited as righteous is important for those times when people say you have to do x or y or z to be saved.

Upvote 0