What is the best book you've ever read that few people know exists?

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is the best book you've ever read that few people know exists?

Ursula Le Guinn's The brothers lionheart is surprisingly little known. Some people who have read a lot of her other books haven't heard of it.

• Agree
Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Weight of Glory by C.S. Lewis

If I believed there was a devil and the whole spiritual warfare bit where he is fighting God (or even good) I would consider this being omitted from the packaged sets of works by Lewis one of his victories. Not quite an obscure work, but one that never gets any press and one that can be out of stock.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
People of the Lie by M. Scott Peck (also wrote The Road Less Traveled)

A very intelligent, thoughtful analysis of human evil. How to recognize it, confront it, and avoid falling into it. (Peck was a psychiatrist).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If I believed there was a devil and the whole spiritual warfare bit where he is fighting God (or even good) I would consider this being omitted from the packaged sets of works by Lewis one of his victories. Not quite an obscure work, but one that never gets any press and one that can be out of stock.
Did you know that was preached originally as a sermon in the Church of St Mary the Virgin, Oxford, on June 8, 1942 ?

Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Did you know that was preached originally as a sermon in the Church of St Mary the Virgin, Oxford, on June 8, 1942 ?

I was aware of the origin of that essay. It is one of several in the book. The Inner Ring is my favorite though I cannot think of any of the essays that are not of value.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sea Prayer by Khaled Hosseini. I'm in the habit of literally judging books by their covers when I'm reading for leisure because I like to discover everything on my own. Someone had left this book on a side table of a seating area in the center of the library, and as I walked past the cover captivated me and made me stop. It's a watercolor painting. I'll post a picture below. I immediately checked it out and didn't even wait to get inside before reading it. I just sat down and read it all. The author is a bestseller but this particular book isn't as well-known. At least it's not one that I'd seen buzz about like I have for other popular books, so it had been entirely unknown to me until I serendipitously came across it that afternoon. I posted about it to Instagram as soon as I finished it because I wanted others to experience it too, and everyone has loved it. It's unique because it's an illustrated book for older kids and adults. It's so beautifully illustrated and written. The story is incredibly moving. It's stayed in my heart.

IMG_2755.jpeg

IMG_2743.jpeg IMG_2746.jpeg IMG_2750.jpeg

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private

I found out about another writer bc you wrote about him so much but now I can't remember his name lol. Robert something.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I found out about another writer bc you wrote about him so much but now I can't remember his name lol. Robert something.

Robert Anson Heinlein. Since he is one of if not the most famous Science Fiction writer it is hard to come up with anything of his that is not well known. At least for a book. Not that many people are aware of his short story Cliff and the Calories.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Robert Anson Heinlein. Since he is one of if not the most famous Science Fiction writer it is hard to come up with anything of his that is not well known. At least for a book. Not that many people are aware of his short story Cliff and the Calories.

Yes that's him. Idk that he's super well known now is he? I think maybe he used to be but a lot of young ppl probably haven't heard of him b4 bc he's not the kind of writer that really has books on required reading lists & he's not current. So if anybody reads this thread what book of his would you recommend as being like the one that the most ppl would probably like?

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Yes that's him. Idk that he's super well known now is he? I think maybe he used to be but a lot of young ppl probably haven't heard of him b4 bc he's not the kind of writer that really has books on required reading lists & he's not current. So if anybody reads this thread what book of his would you recommend as being like the one that the most ppl would probably like?

My top 2 suggestions would be The Past Through Tomorrow and Stranger in a Strange Land.

The first is a collection of a lot of what has been called The Future History and it contains a lot of short stories and novellas. Stranger has been called the hippie bible.

Fair warning If This Goes On is one of the stories in The Past Through Tomorrow and it tells of the fall of a corrupt Christian dominated government of the United States. It may well offend Christians who seek such rule. (But not Mormons or Catholics who are more oppressed than most under that tyrannical rule).

To fit the theme of this thread I would suggest posthumous book Requiem which includes Poor Daddy which is a sequel to Cliff and the Calories and even less well known and a couple of other all but forgotten stories by Heinlein. If one likes the story Requiem they should then read The Man Who Sold the Moon to understand the triumph and tragedy of Requiem.

• Winner
Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
My top 2 suggestions would be The Past Through Tomorrow and Stranger in a Strange Land.

The first is a collection of a lot of what has been called The Future History and it contains a lot of short stories and novellas. Stranger has been called the hippie bible.

Fair warning If This Goes On is one of the stories in The Past Through Tomorrow and it tells of the fall of a corrupt Christian dominated government of the United States. It may well offend Christians who seek such rule. (But not Mormons or Catholics who are more oppressed than most under that tyrannical rule).

To fit the theme of this thread I would suggest posthumous book Requiem which includes Poor Daddy which is a sequel to Cliff and the Calories and even less well known and a couple of other all but forgotten stories by Heinlein. If one likes the story Requiem they should then read The Man Who Sold the Moon to understand the triumph and tragedy of Requiem.

Thanks Keith!

• Useful
Reactions: keith99
Upvote 0