LDS What is the basis of changes to the BoM?

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Reversing the order a bit so that I can answer things in turn:

Also, Ether 3:8 has flesh and blood, in the resurrection it is flesh and bone. According to I Cor 15 flesh and blood can not go to heaven. So, since Ether is part of the BOM, your scriptures, LDS have that problem.

Did you actually read the chapter?

I say this as verse 9 here provides... context.

9 And the Lord said unto him: Because of thy faith thou hast seen that I shall take upon me flesh and blood; and never has man come before me with such exceeding faith as thou hast; for were it not so ye could not have seen my finger. Sawest thou more than this?

Note the "shall" part.

I don't know if the link will work or not, but the "flesh and blood" bit is tabbed with a footnote containing two references for further context.

Flesh and Blood

Jesus Christ, Condescension of

The Topical Guide puts together lists of verses by topic or relation, meaning that one can examine the verses together. If you wish to read a verse in full, just click on the blue text representing the chapter and verse & you'll be immediately taken there.

We can continue discussing this point once you've done so.

Only problem with your statement is Ether 3 was written around the time of the Tower of Bethel, not post Resurrected Jesus. And, Ether 3:14 clearly says that Jesus is the Father, whom in true Christian Theology does not have a physical body. Also, did not JS see two persons in his First Vision or at least in one of the editions of it?

As we've seen from the above, your first argument is nullified because verse 9 makes it clear that the flesh & blood bit was to be in the future.

As for 3:14 -

The word "Father" is footnoted, giving us a link to Mosiah 15. This chapter, in turn, explains how Jesus qualifies for both titles... without actually *being* Heavenly Father.

Mosiah 15

And before anyone says anything, "one God" in verse 4 footnotes to the Topical Guide entry for Godhead, clarifying the kind of "oneness" being talked about...

• Winner
Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
With all the bouncing around how did they know when to open a hole?

When the air got thin, when they wanted to do a visual check of where they were, when they wanted to try and catch something...

As far as the hole in the bottom goes, a disc-shaped craft like that *will* be at risk of flipping over, but flipping won't have the catastrophic effect to the vessel that flipping would have on a more traditional vessel. Hence, a redundancy in case the ship does flip: once people collect themselves, top is now bottom and bottom is now top.

Upvote 0

r4.h

Feb 11, 2018
Hamilton
✟20,810.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How do we reconcile 1st Corinthians with mainstream beleifs? Most mainstream Christianity believes Elijah, Enoch, and of course Jesus were all bodily assumed (or ascended) into Heaven, and the RCC adds Mary to that list. Perhaps 1 Corinthians is speaking more of the "things of this world" ie, sin or another "worldly" issue having no place in Heaven?
John Bunyan who wrote the allegory "pilgrims progress" and spent 20 yrs in prison for preaching the gospel in England, also wrote a book called "visions of heaven and hell".
This is a must read book that details being taken to heaven and hell, like apostle Paul, wether in the body or spirit he could not tell,
He talked with Elijah, who explained that he and Enoch had purified bodies to be allowed in heaven. This is why I believe they are the two witnesses that " fire comes from their mouth if anyone try to harm them", but eventually the beast kills them, "their bodies lie in the streets 3 days" while men mock them until they are raised to life. Rev 11:3-12.
They have to return "for it is appointed for all men to die once" then get their glorified bodies for entry into heaven, as no flesh is allowed. I therefore also must conclude that those still living at the time of the rapture must for an instant die and leave their bodies behind.
Oh wow, i just realised that the rapture movies are wrong, as they show people disappearing from whatever they are doing, leaving others to think they have disappeared, even abducted by aliens. But i think not now, their bodies must stay here like the way of all earth. Moses body is still here, they just couldnt find it,( i believe), to stop humans doing crazy stuff and idolizing his tomb etc.

• Informative
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Show me a kid who's grown up under the circumstances JS grew up under.

Nowadays we don't even have enough people who are physically fit enough to pass muster for military enlistment...
Joseph was nothing special physically. There are all sorts of young men who grew up on farms who did much more than Joseph. See the hayfields of Iowa, Nebraska, etc. for starters.

Gross overgeneralizations and ignorant statements do not support your assertion that a teenage boy could outrun his pursuers for 3 miles with ~120 lb load. And, oh btw, Joseph had a slight limp from a bone infection when he was 7. That would also hinder any such super-human effort you seem to think Joseph made.

It would be great if you could deal with actual facts (as in post #16) instead of making things up in defense of your so-called prophet.

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟200,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Reversing the order a bit so that I can answer things in turn:

Did you actually read the chapter? here Book of Mormon (Palmyra, N.Y.: 1830)

I say this as verse 9 here provides... context.

9 And the Lord said unto him: Because of thy faith thou hast seen that I shall take upon me flesh and blood; and never has man come before me with such exceeding faith as thou hast; for were it not so ye could not have seen my finger. Sawest thou more than this?

Note the "shall" part.

I don't know if the link will work or not, but the "flesh and blood" bit is tabbed with a footnote containing two references for further context.

Flesh and Blood

Jesus Christ, Condescension of

The Topical Guide puts together lists of verses by topic or relation, meaning that one can examine the verses together. If you wish to read a verse in full, just click on the blue text representing the chapter and verse & you'll be immediately taken there.

We can continue discussing this point once you've done so.

As we've seen from the above, your first argument is nullified because verse 9 makes it clear that the flesh & blood bit was to be in the future.

As for 3:14 -

The word "Father" is footnoted, giving us a link to Mosiah 15. This chapter, in turn, explains how Jesus qualifies for both titles... without actually *being* Heavenly Father.

Mosiah 15

And before anyone says anything, "one God" in verse 4 footnotes to the Topical Guide entry for Godhead, clarifying the kind of "oneness" being talked about...

I followed the links.

to my knowledge a spirit does not have a spirit body.

"
Ether 3:6, read out of context, might easily be understood as agreeing with the current Mormon belief that God himself has a physical form like human beings. It is odd, though, that the LDS article cites Ether 3:6 but not the verses later in the same chapter that actually refer to humans as made in God’s image:

Seest thou that ye are created after mine own image? Yea, even all men were created in the beginning after mine own image. Behold, this body, which ye now behold, is the body of my spirit; and man have I created after the body of my spirit; and even as I appear unto thee to be in the spirit will I appear unto my people in the flesh. (Ether 3:15-16)

Mormons assume that if human beings were created in God’s “image” then this must imply that God had a physical body. However, Ether 3:15-16 explicitly says otherwise. The conventional belief (based on Genesis 1:26-27) that God created man after his image is interpreted here to mean that God created man “after the body of [his] spirit.” We see here the notion, which though not strictly orthodox has been a fairly popular belief in the history of Christianity, that God has a “body of spirit,” that is, an anthropomorphic shape composed of pure spirit rather than of flesh. This is not what Genesis 1:26-27 means, but it is also not what the LDS Church teaches about Heavenly Father. According to Ether 3, man is created in God’s image because God has a body of spirit. That this is what the text means is confirmed by the conclusion of Ether 3:16, in which Christ (who in Book of Mormon theology is God in the flesh) announces that later he will appear to his people “in the flesh.” Perhaps this is why the 2014 web article cited Ether 3:6 but not 3:14-15. The passage actually conflicts with a central claim of Mormon doctrine, namely, that the God in whose image we were created was a being of flesh and bones.

It should be noted that in Mormon doctrine today, the Father and Jesus Christ are sharply distinguished from each other as two separately embodied beings. From this perspective, what Jared’s brother saw in Ether 3 was a vision of the Lord Jesus, not of Heavenly Father. There are at least two problems with this interpretation. The first is that the divine speaker in Ether 3:15-16 explicitly says that man was made in his image. The natural way of understanding this statement is that the speaker is God the Father (especially if one accepts the Mormon argument that the image of God shows that we are God’s children). Second, in the immediate context the speaker claims to be the Father and the Son: “Behold, I am Jesus Christ. I am the Father and the Son” (Ether 3:14a). Later Mormon explanations that Jesus can be called “the Father” in a different sense don’t work well here. The text does not quote Jesus as saying, “I am the Father of creation,” or “I am the Father of Israel” (an idea obviously foreign to the context of Jared, who would have lived a millennium or more before Abraham). Instead, it quotes Jesus as saying, without qualification, that he is both the Father and the Son."Ether 3 and the Mormon Doctrine of God and Man

Note: follow the above link for the above quote concerning the LDS article being referred to.

One can not be a body of spirit and a body of flesh and bone at the same time. So, which is it in LDS theology? Thanks for explaining.

How can Jesus be a father when he was never married?

Clearly I did not read down far enough to see the complete context. But, that does not now do away with the problems your response shows us.

Note: The liberal claims that Jesus was married are based on poor logic and lack of fact.

Bart D. Ehrman,
"
What's another big historical inaccuracy in the novel?

There are several gigantic points that have to do with Jesus' marriage to Mary Magdalene. Maybe the first thing to say is that it's absolutely false that as [the character] Robert Langdon says, it would have been highly unusual for Jesus not to be married because Jewish men were always married. That's false.

Tell us more about that, because I have heard that on and off over the years.

Yeah, that's kind of a commonsensical claim that isn't true. We know Jewish men from the first century who remained single and celibate. What's most interesting is that the ones we know about are ones with a worldview that's very similar to the worldview ascribed to Jesus in the Gospels-which is an apocalyptic worldview. We know about Jews from Jesus' time from the Dead Sea Scrolls.

And by the way, Dan Brown indicates some of these lost gospels were included among the Dead Sea Scrolls. That's absolutely false.

That was Nag Hammadi Codex, right?

He mentions Nag Hammadi as well, but he indicates the Dead Sea Scrolls contain some of the earliest records of Jesus, and that's false. The Dead Sea Scrolls don't say anything about Jesus."Unpacking 'The Code'

Aside to this post: LDS - Smithsonian Letter Update

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟200,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
@Daniel Marsh , it's hard to get the feeling I'm talking to a person when your replies aren't in your own words.

When someone has said it better than I can, why reinvent the wheel?

Please, deal with the issues and stop playing games.

Thanks,
Daniel

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
When someone has said it better than I can, why reinvent the wheel?
Putting things in your own words shows that you're putting your own thoughts into things and responding exactly to what's being said. We humans aren't robots to just regurgitate programmed responses. Do you not appreciate *me* answering your questions rather than just copy/pasting stuff?
Please, deal with the issues and stop playing games.
I have responded to you, and have not heard back from YOU.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single

wait wait wait...

This is *not* the link I posted.

This is the actual book of Ether as on the church website:

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/ether?lang=eng

LDS [dot] org [slash] scriptures [slash] bofm [slash] ether if the link gets swapped out again.

to my knowledge a spirit does not have a spirit body.

You still need to establish that anyone is a spirit. Your arguments are all framed accordingly.

This is not what Genesis 1:26-27 means,

Source?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
  • Winner
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟200,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Bart D. Ehrman isn't a participating in this conversation. I'd rather hear YOUR thoughts since you're the one I'm talking to.

I tend to quote minimalist experts because they don't over blow a topic and are experts.
Many people tends to stand on the shoulders of those who went before them.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
I tend to quote minimalist experts because they don't over blow a topic and are experts.
Many people tends to stand on the shoulders of those who went before them.
I would prefer just to hear your words and thoughts, as you are the person I am talking to. That's why I respond to you in my own words rather than spewing links.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟200,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
wait wait wait...

This is *not* the link I posted.

This is the actual book of Ether as on the church website:

Ether

LDS [dot] org [slash] scriptures [slash] bofm [slash] ether if the link gets swapped out again.

You still need to establish that anyone is a spirit. Your arguments are all framed accordingly.

Source?

What is the difference between the 1830 edition Book of Mormon (Palmyra, N.Y.: 1830) and the one you quoted?

"
The truth was apparent from what had been revealed in the Old Testament, but it had never been put into plain words. “God is spirit,” He declared, “and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and in truth” (John 4:24).

God is spirit. There is no article in the Greek text before the word spirit,and that emphasizes the quality or essence of the word. Furthermore, the word spirit occurs first in the sentence for emphasis. The literal idea would be something like, “Absolutely spirit in His essence is God.” Jesus did not leave any doubt about this truth. God is spirit!

Paul called Him “the invisible God” (Colossians 1:15), and “the King eternal, immortal, invisible” (1 Timothy 1:17).

John assured us that “no man has seen God at any time” (John 1:18). Mortal men have seen visible manifestations which God used to reveal Himself to them and to communicate with them, as when God the Son took human form in a Bethlehem manger. But they have never seen Him fully in His spiritual being. There is no way they could. Spirits are invisible.

When He entered the room in His glorified body they thought they had seen a spirit. He calmed them by saying, “See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have” (Luke 24:39). Spirits do not have bodies.

This seems to present a problem, however, since Scripture does refer to God at times as though He has a body. For example, it mentions His hand and His ear (Isaiah 59:1), His eye (2 Chronicles 16:9), and His mouth (Matthew 4:4). Theologians call these anthropomorphisms, a word meaning “human form.” They are symbolic representations used to make God’s actions more understandable to our finite minds. But God has no material substance and He is not dependent on any material thing. He dwells in the realm of spirit.
"5. God is Spirit

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
What is the difference between the 1830 edition Book of Mormon (Palmyra, N.Y.: 1830) and the one you quoted?

The difference is the source: I was citing it straight from the church website, meaning that not only do we know it's the official version, the reader also has access to the footnotes and study resources the church provides.

The truth was apparent from what had been revealed in the Old Testament, but it had never been put into plain words. “God is spirit,” He declared, “and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and in truth” (John 4:24).

"blank is blank" is a metaphorical rendering, not a literal rendering.

There is no article in the Greek text before the word spirit,and that emphasizes the quality or essence of the word.

This time, I'm calling on you to provide a reference.

When He entered the room in His glorified body they thought they had seen a spirit. He calmed them by saying, “See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have” (Luke 24:39). Spirits do not have bodies.

...Which torpedoes your own argument...

Upvote 0