What is the accessable and repeatable standard of truth?

Gary987

Grace to Keep Pace
Jun 3, 2021
Boston
✟10,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wow. @FutureAndAHope. My brother. I’m trying to speak about this so much but I keep waiting for god to move me on it.

I am seeing amazing churches of believers not having that extra bit of love and trust to let the lowest men in their churches teach them a thing or two about Jesus love and not the rules of the alleged doctrines of man

Upvote 0

Gary987

Grace to Keep Pace
Jun 3, 2021
Boston
✟10,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I hold no gripe with the church because I have taken every complaint to the best of my ability to God about why I didn’t work out in some churches. But at the end of the day I learned through the love of Jesus alone that I am right for trusting the Bible and seeking a church despite my self rejection and outward behaviors because even with the flaws of any church. It’s where I was saved. It’s my home. But that church is wherever I may roam. I say things like this and face rejection. But honestly I’m seeking a place I can be used. Not a place to go so to speak

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To say this is to say that there are additional written primary sources or archaeological evidences that attest to Jesus's resurrection. I'm not aware of such things. I'm only aware of the books of the New Testament. All later writings I'm aware of aren't primary sources.

I would refer you to James Warner Wallace the author of the coldcasechristianity web site.
He as an atheist and working coldcase detective was challenged to use his detective skills on the new testament.
The results of his investigation was that he was convinced of the accuracy and reliability of the gospels and he became a Christian.

Or there is Lee Strobel and the case for Christ.
As an atheist investigative reporter he investigated Christianity to prove it false. He could not and again convinced by the evidence he became a Christian.

Read there stories and there investigations and present your evidence that shows they are wrong.

I don't know. If the answer was "never", then that would be a point against the believability of the gospel accounts. If that answer was "rarely/occasionally", then we would need more evidence about the effects and circumstances of Jesus's resurrection to properly evaluate whether it was the most important resurrection ever.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. Those details might be accurate, but other details may not be. There's no reason to believe that a single gospel account is the recollection of a single eyewitness. They could be compilations of stories and ideas from multiple people.

They were convinced of something. We don't know how many were and were not.

Furthermore, we don't know that they did ultimately. There's a lot of stories about the martyrdoms of the apostles, but there's is no way to confirm those claims. I have no idea if Peter stayed faithful but Thomas didn't. I have no better evidence for this than whether Thomas visited India, China, and Indonesia, claims found the same generation of 2nd and 3rd century texts.

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,144.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christians have various standards for determining what is true when it comes to doctrine:

Some protestants say only what is in Scripture and the Holy Spirit will enlighten the sincere reader.

Charismatics may say something similar, but also require a significant emotional experience.

Other protestants have Scripture centered traditions of interpretation that require situating the Bible in the history and experience of the church.

Catholics have the Scripture, tradition, and magisterium model.

Orthodox see Scripture, teachings of the church, practices, and history of experiences as a unified whole "Tradition".

I'm sure there are other theories as well.

How do you test cases in which all of these theories produce contradictory answers to the same question?

I made sure to include "accessable" and "repeatable" to rule out most "religious experiences". I'm not asking a meta-epistemological question that can be answered with "Christ is the truth" or "genuinely experiencing the risen Christ".

Thank you.

That's not how it works. The Bible basically is composed of 2 parts. Salvation message is as simple as "believing Jesus to be saved". The question is how and why. Why humans can be saved by Jesus, and how Jesus effects the salvation of humans.

Have you studied any human law system? Whenever laws are concerned it is a complicated mixture. Only the smartest humans can become good lawyers. Similarly those two question can lead to the same complicated mixture. The Bible to a certain extent, conveys a simplified version of an answer to those 2 questions. Humans on the other all have a unique brain. Especially in today's world their opinions vary all the times even when reading the same passage. God allows the variety since it's human nature of a modern world. God on the other hand secures the salvation message that "believing Jesus to be saved" such that humans can have one salvation based on multiple denominations.

Upvote 0