What is the "abundant life" that Jesus gives?

TLSITD

Conservative Christian
Apr 26, 2020
Tennessee
✟22,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What is abundant life in Christ?

To answer that we first have to answer what "life" is according to God.

Jesus said:

"And this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent." (John 17:3)

Our spiritual life, the life that Jesus Christ came to give to a dead world, begins when we come to know God in truth when we are born again.

But that's only the beginning. From that point until we leave the body, the life that begins with coming to know God becomes more abundant as we increase in the knowledge of Him in whom we have come to live and as we learn to think, see and do as He does and to be led by and walk in step with His Spirit, rather than our sinful nature and our earthly mind, so that we become more and more united with Him in thought and deed and so that He becomes more and more visible in us as we are transformed by Him.

This is the best summary of the abundant life that I know of:

...We have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised. (2 Corinthians 5:14,15)

A Christian who is living life in Christ abundantly may be poor in the eyes of the world but will be rich in faith, in the knowledge and wisdom of God, in good deeds, in virtue, and in eternal rewards in heaven.

He or she may be dressed plainly, but the holiness and virtue of Jesus Christ will shine forth from him or her with a glory that cannot be hidden.

He or she may not have good health or live a long life, but the power of God will be manifested in the weakness He ordains for them and they will live forever with Him.

To live more abundantly in Christ is to seek one's own will and the desires of the flesh less and the will and desires of His Spirit more. It is to be crucified with Christ, and that not only once but day by day by choice.

That is what we are called to as Christians. Being reborn is only the beginning of that life, not the fullness of it.

JosephT

Apr 30, 2020
Philadelphia
✟8,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is extremely important to understand when one reads these texts, what is meant by the original language in which the text was written.

The Greek word used for "life" here, is the word ζωὴ (zōē), as opposed to ψυχὴ (psychē), breath/soul or βιός (biōs), physical, biological life.

Zoe, properly understood here the Greek word refers to the uncreated, eternal life of God, the divine life uniquely possessed by God. It is this life that Jesus wants us to have.
The greek had many words for love, and many words for beauty, and they had many words for other things. In fact, we have the same. Think about the way the word life is used in English.

You could say either "Wow, thanks for stepping on the brake, you saved my life!" (physical existence)

OR

You could say, "Man, my buddy Jeff is always smiling. Man, he is so full of life!" (Spirit, vigor)

This abundant life is ZOE. It is the abundant, eternal life of God.

Important to understand is that it does not mean you will suddenly get what you want, or have the job, the spouse, or the "life" you think you should have. It is something deeper than that. It is an abundance OF life. I knew I had found it when I stopped caring about whether I will ever make enough money, meet a woman to marry, live the right career. All I need is this Zoe, that Jesus promised.

It will be something evident in you when you truly come to fulfill the purpose of your life which is to know God. When you have it, people will see it.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟336,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Phonetic Spelling za-dzah'-o

Verb Definition
-to live, breathe, be among the living (not lifeless, not dead)
-to enjoy real life
-to have true life and worthy of the name
-active, blessed, endless in the kingdom of God
-to live i.e. pass life, in the manner of the living and acting
-of mortals or character
-living water, having vital power in itself and exerting the same upon the soul

metaph. to be in full vigour
-to be fresh, strong, efficient,

as adj. active, powerful, efficacious

Looking at 1 Timothy 3:15 is Tzao in action:
knowing how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of the truth.

In that verse is impressed the importance of correct conduct, responsibility and care to those within the House of God which is the church of the living God. The church/body is the pillar of the house of God. It's the house of God because it's within that He dwells.

What we do pertains to that honour and care of the church of the living God, our habitation of God through the Spirit.
If we're not doing that then why are we here?
We're living stones trying to fit together.
The grinding shows that we're still in the quarrey of the world and not at the temple where no sound is heard out of reverence for His House.

God Zao's within. Because of that we Zao also.

Living that works and moves together in the Spirit so that God can be manifested.
God is the foundation of truth and as the pillar is supported by the base so the pillar holds the building.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLSITD
Upvote 0