What is Sin to a Person Who Never read the Bible?

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,334.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Where the problem lies is in putting images and beliefs of God on to earthly kinds of actions where we punish.
I see that as making God into the image of man.
A world with Love though has a way of changing the whole earthly need for that kind of "justice".
So your question for me is without meaning.
In our culture, " love" as you* use it, has no meaning.

* not you in partifular. The whole language / culture.

We just dont look,at things the way you do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So youd say that only Christians have valid
thoughts and Christians should avoid hearing
anything of nonchristian perspective on Christian teachings?
When I say it does not matter what non-Christians think, I mean when someone is denying what God's word says or is arguing that God is not fair. They might think what they want, but that can not change what is true.

But yes there are times when God uses non-Christians to correct us or to inform us. And they can know things that God has had them discover and share with us.

He says his mother claims that she does not sin. But God's word shows various ways we all can sin. She is very possibly doing wrong things but is denying this or is ignorant.

Philippians 2:12-16 says not to complain or argue. Do you believe that any of us never complains or argues?

And unforgiveness is wrong > Mark 11:25.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,334.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
When I say it does not matter what non-Christians think, I mean when someone is denying what God's word says or is arguing that God is not fair. They might think what they want, but that can not change what is true.

But yes there are times when God uses non-Christians to correct us or to inform us. And they can know things that God has had them discover and share with us.

He says his mother claims that she does not sin. But God's word shows various ways we all can sin. She is very possibly doing wrong things but is denying this or is ignorant.

Philippians 2:12-16 says not to complain or argue. Do you believe that any of us never complains or argues?

And unforgiveness is wrong > Mark 11:25.
As an atheist I see God as something
described in a book. So true / false, fair / unfair
acts of God is meaningless to me.

I note that Christians among themselves argue endlessly on what Gods words mean.

Ranging, say, from 100 percent literal flood,
to local, to purely a cautionary tale.

The church was going to stick with perfect spherical
planetx, perfectly circular planetary orbits, perfectly spotless sun, and geocentrsm until observations by scientists made untenable.

Likewise the church was fully into the great flood until
(Christian) researchers began to question it.

Leading to today when researchers of every nation have in their widely varied ways have found ten thousand differentthings that disprove the flood-the flood beibg collateral damage, so to speak. Not that they set out to " disprove the flood".

Same with evolution. The facts don't match a literal
Bible version.

The question to ask yourself is,
Am I so sure that I really- really am the one who
KNOWS exactly what is the meanjng of God's word.
And
If a Hindu, Mormon, Taoist, atheist or catholic etc
can deliver unimpeachable facts that do not match
how you choose to read the bible...
what should you do?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟675,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I tried to tell my late Mother that Jesus died to save us from our sins. She said, "I don't sin." She had had a Bible, an old one with sepia toned pictures, for as long as I could remember. Her Bible had names and birthdates of grandparents in it. Towards the end of her life she she didn't know what had happened to her Bible.
Sorry to hear about your mother passing. She probably had her own opinions about what "sin" is. (I would guess the obvious ones like lying, stealing, killing, etc.) As you know the bible has a much broader definition of sin than just breaking one of the 10 Commandments. Sin can be making a decision based on unfaithfulness to God and can also be neglecting to do what’s right when we have the opportunity. Someone that didn't read the Bible wouldn't consider these things "sin".

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,334.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sorry to hear about your mother passing. She probably had her own opinions about what "sin" is. (I would guess the obvious ones like lying, stealing, killing, etc.) As you know the bible has a much broader definition of sin than just breaking one of the 10 Commandments. Sin can be making a decision based on unfaithfulness to God and can also be neglecting to do what’s right when we have the opportunity. Someone that didn't read the Bible wouldn't consider these things "sin".
I did read it, so Ive an idea what a chridtian
means by " sin".

But could you expand on the " much broader"?

Neglecting to to do what's right ( aka sin of omission)
is an obvious wrong, btw, so it's not so that it's only in the bible.

Likewise unfaithfulness.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Killing perhaps. The others aren't obvious to unbelievers for sure. And they don't have a clue about the ten commandments if they never read any of the Bible.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Read Romans 1. God already made it clear to them.

I am sorry for your loss. May she rest in peace. :prayer:
Are you talking to me?

Without Jesus no one rests in peace.

God doesn't tell everyone what is sin. Some people don't try to find out. Take St. Paul for example ---- God told him. Why do we have A Bible if it isn't necessary? Why were Christians told to go out into the world? Why were parents told to raise up a child in the way he should go? The Bible says:

2 Corinthians 6:2
(For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)

Isaiah 55:6
Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:

Acts 17:26 NIV
From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,334.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Killing perhaps. The others aren't obvious to unbelievers for sure. And they don't have a clue about the ten commandments if they never read any of the Bible.
Is it good christian practice to make
false and disparaging claims against people
you know nothing about?

We do not believe in your god, but otherwise
we are taught the same basic
rules at home, as you go to church to
learn.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Is it good christian practice to make
false and disparaging claims against people
you know nothing about?

We do not believe in your god, but otherwise
we are taught the same basic
rules at home, as you go to church to
learn
I'm talking about my parents who I knew committed certain sins such as stealing and lying, etc. Until you said things about yourself, I thought these were Christian forums. I was not talking about you! We can learn from a Bible without going to church. And we aren't all taught the same rules at home, whether Christian or non-Christian. And what you call disparaging remarks aren't the same as everyone's thoughts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,334.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm talking about my parents who I knew committed certain sins such as stealing and lying, etc. Until you said things about yourself, I thought these were Christian forums. I was not talking about you! We can learn from a Bible without going to church. And we aren't all taught the same rules at home, whether Christian or non-Christian. And what you call disparaging remarks aren't the same as everyone's thoughts.
You just said "unbelievers".
And "for sure" of those who've not read the
Bible.
If it's not what you meant, and limit
it to some few you know, fine. Thanks for
telling me.
Otherwise my question is valid , and disparaging
would exactly be the word.

This section of cf is clearly marked as being
open to all for comment.

And, even if I were christian I'd have said the
same thing.

Regardless. I'm glad you don't think unbelievers
are deficient in the ways you seemed to have said.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You just said "unbelievers".
And "for sure" of those who've not read the
Bible.
If it's not what you meant, and limit
it to some few you know, fine. Thanks for
telling me.
Otherwise my question is valid , and disparaging
would exactly be the word.

This section of cf is clearly marked as being
open to all for comment.

And, even if I were christian I'd have said the
same thing.

Regardless. I'm glad you don't think unbelievers
are deficient in the ways you seemed to have said.
Well, if you want to judge my post as disparaging, you are making a judgment about me. Why are you arguing? You never explained what you regard as sin. I asked the question and gave my thoughts. Tell me what rules you believe non-Christians agree with in the Bible. Are you offended by the word unbelievers? If so, why? Can you be specific? Have you studied the Bible and conducted an expansive survey of rules in non-Christian homes? I lived with my parents, I lived with my mother, then I lived with my father for a short time. Their households had some very different rules. Neither household was Christian. I had many non-Christian relatives. I started this thread so I could understand what people who have not read the Bible regard as sin. So your posts revealed that you don't believe there is sin. Okay. I didn't start this thread to convince anyone that sin is real. I didn't come here to have an argument with an atheist.

My mother said, "I don't sin." I assumed she regarded something as sin. She didn't say that nothing is sin. She was a deist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
what should you do?

Your question is totally 100% off-topic.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And
what should you do?
Talking about what is sin for those who do not read, do not believe the Bible . . . God is personal with us, He proves Himself in us. So, He is not just theoretical.

And it seems to me, that various religious things have people not being personal with God and they are being self-dependent. Plenty of Bible claimers can be impersonal and self-dependent.

So they miss out on sharing rest with Jesus >

''Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.'" (Matthew 11:28-29)

Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,334.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Your question is totally 100% off-topic.
Oh? I was responding to
"...can use non believers to
inform"

Asking how one might respond
if informed that his chosen version
of bible- interpretation is clearly false
is esactly on that topic.

And in line with the general topic of asking
how non Christians view the concept of sin.

Which is as I indicated earlie, a bit of a non
topic as "sin" is "100 %" irrelevant, and
does not apply to non Christians.

We honour commandments 5 thro 10, but sure didn't
need the Bible to tells us about them as life- rules.

Those who don't want an answer to the q don't need to
visit this thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Oh? I was responding to
"...can use non believers to
inform"

Asking how one might respond
if informed that his chosen version
of bible- interpretation is clearly false
is esactly on that topic.

And in line with the general topic of asking
how non Christians view the concept of sin.

Which is as I indicated earlie, a bit of a non
topic as "sin" is "100 %" irrelevant, and
does not apply to non Christians.

We honour commandments 5 thro 10, but sure didn't
need the Bible to tells us about them as life- rules.

Those who don't want an answer to the q don't need to
visit this thread.
You didn't answer the question or questions. Nor did you tell us who "we" is. Are you multiple users?

Commandments 5-10 are not life rules accepted by all families or individuals. My mother was not a Christian but never told us there is no sin. My father said all non-college grads are losers. He disowned his mother.

The ten commandments are not all Christians are told to obey.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
In our culture, " love" as you* use it, has no meaning.

* not you in partifular. The whole language / culture.

We just dont look,at things the way you do.
Neither do my non-believing relatives.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,334.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Talking about what is sin for those who do not read, do not believe the Bible . . . God is personal with us, He proves Himself in us. So, He is not just theoretical.

And it seems to me, that various religious things have people not being personal with God and they are being self-dependent. Plenty of Bible claimers can be impersonal and self-dependent.

So they miss out on sharing rest with Jesus >

''Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.'" (Matthew 11:28-29)
If " what's sin to an unbeliever"
is the sum of the inquiry, it's
not even worth asking.
Answer is basically nothing. Zip. Nada.

The closest it comes to meaning anything to
usis to recognize it as an idea that christians
believe in.
With that I will bow out, I don't think
( shudder) outside ideas are actually
wanted here.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We are not all guilty of original sin at birth but the fact that we die is what we inherit in our fallen state which is sin. So death is sin but we are not obviously guilty of that. We will have fluctuating mindsets in our lives; some good & others bad. Still Cain really brought us down pretty far as to evil propensity ( Genesis 4:1-16). Note that 1 John 3:10-15, it is written that those born of God do good. Apparently God knows all who qualify but we don’t and Christians must tell others that we all face judgement. See also Romans 5:12-14.

It seems that the early Christians knew that infants, small children who tragically died were largely innocent as was noted in the observations of a philosopher ( later Christian) St. Aristides in the early 2nd century.

And when a child has been born to one of them, they give thanks to God; and if moreover it happen to die in childhood, they give thanks to God the more, as for one who has passed through the world without sins.

Last edited:
Upvote 0