What is prima scriptura and how does it differ from sola scriptura?

Complete in Thee

Jan 10, 2018
:)
✟37,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello, I know that historically Anglicans are prima scriptura.

- What exactly does it mean to be prima scriptura in practice? how does it differ from sola scriptura in practice?

- If an Anglican who is prima scriptura was to read a chapter of a book in the scriptures how would they go about it compared to someone who is sola scriptura?

Reactions: danbuter

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
IMO, part of the problem in coming up with a tidy answer is that Anglican opinion varies on this matter, as it does with other issues.

That said, there isn't a significant difference between the two that I can see. There really is a difference between Prima Scriptura and Solo Scriptura, and I find that people sometimes describe the difference between Prima Scriptura and Sola Scriptura as though they were explaining the difference between Prima Scriptura and Solo Scriptura.

Presumably, Prima Scriptura views Scripture as the ultimate guide to necessary doctrine but values church traditions, reason, etc. as aides to understanding Scripture. However, Sola Scriptura, properly understood, also accepts them in that role.

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,225.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
We look at a passage of scripture and ask what it says, then what that means in the local context, and then how that translates to our 21st century affluent lives.

I would hope that other denominations are similar, although clearly some are not with their attitudes to women, etc.

We use Reason because we have the freedom to think for ourselves and make our own choices. We are not an authoritative church. We value discipleship.

We use church tradition really as a secondary source for information about what a passage of scripture might mean in the local context, as the Early Church Fathers were a bit closer to those events. That takes as read the credal statements and the 66 books in the NT.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟412,239.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican