✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It is not Reformed Covenant Theology.
It is not Dispensational Theology.
It is not a hybrid of the two above.

It is about the Galatians 3:16 One Seed, who is Christ, and those who are in Him.

It is the Covenant which has been misapplied by some and ignored by others in order to get it to fit their manmade doctrines.

It is the thing that unites all denominations, if we are willing to grab hold of it and proclaim it to all who will hear the truth.

Grab it and take it to those you love.

It turns the whole Bible into a book about Christ. After all, He wrote it.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Mat 26:28
For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. (NKJV)

Heb 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

Gideon

Nov 13, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟32,027.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
:amen:

I have just finished listening to Pastor Goodin's explanation. What a wonderfully insightful message! I discarded dispensationalism years ago, and assumed that I must now be 'covenant' but had reservations about that too. Now Ive got a handle. (lol) Next time someone asks me, "are you replacement theology?" Ill say, nope, Im 'New Covenant Theology.' :clap:

Reactions: JaeMelo
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Audio file of John G. Reisinger's talk on how Reformed Theologians have applied the New Covenant to the Old Testament. I downloaded the file and put it on a CD, so that I could share it with others.

A Tale of Two Systems

NCT often critics Westminster/paedobaptist covenant theology and the criticisms are valid, however, the CT found in the London Baptist Confession (1689) offers another view.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NCT often critics Westminster/paedobaptist covenant theology and the criticisms are valid, however, the CT found in the London Baptist Confession (1689) offers another view.

The 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith made some necessary corrections to the Westminster Confession.
However, it still has some problems, especially in Chapter 19.

Chapter 19: Of the Law of God
1._____ God gave to Adam a law of universal obedience written in his heart, and a particular precept of not eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil; by which he bound him and all his posterity to personal, entire, exact, and perpetual obedience; promised life upon the fulfilling, and threatened death upon the breach of it, and endued him with power and ability to keep it.
( Genesis 1:27; Ecclesiastes 7:29; Romans 10:5; Galatians 3:10, 12 )

2._____ The same law that was first written in the heart of man continued to be a perfect rule of righteousness after the fall, and was delivered by God upon Mount Sinai, in ten commandments, and written in two tables, the four first containing our duty towards God, and the other six, our duty to man.
( Romans 2:14, 15; Deuteronomy 10:4 )
The first problem is that some of the 10 commandments would have made no sense to Adam and Eve before the fall.
The second is that some claim the Sabbath was changed from sundown Friday until sundown Saturday, to sometime during the day on Sunday. There is evidence that the early Church met on the first day of the week. However, there is no evidence that they considered it keeping the 4th commandment.

3._____ Besides this law, commonly called moral, God was pleased to give to the people of Israel ceremonial laws, containing several typical ordinances, partly of worship, prefiguring Christ, his graces, actions, sufferings, and benefits; and partly holding forth divers instructions of moral duties, all which ceremonial laws being appointed only to the time of reformation, are, by Jesus Christ the true Messiah and only law-giver, who was furnished with power from the Father for that end abrogated and taken away.
( Hebrews 10:1; Colossians 2:17; 1 Corinthians 5:7; Colossians 2:14, 16, 17; Ephesians 2:14, 16 )
Another problem is the separation of the "moral law" from the other 603 laws of the "ceremonial law".
The Apostle Paul never made this separation.
In Galatians chapter 4 Paul compares the Sinai covenant to bondage and later says we are to cast it off.
We are under the Law of Christ.

4._____ To them also he gave sundry judicial laws, which expired together with the state of that people, not obliging any now by virtue of that institution; their general equity only being of moral use.
( 1 Corinthians 9:8-10 )

5._____ The moral law doth for ever bind all, as well justified persons as others, to the obedience thereof, and that not only in regard of the matter contained in it, but also in respect of the authority of God the Creator, who gave it; neither doth Christ in the Gospel any way dissolve, but much strengthen this obligation.
( Romans 13:8-10; James 2:8, 10-12; James 2:10, 11; Matthew 5:17-19; Romans 3:31 )
There is nothing wrong with the commandments and we should not ignore them.
If we are keeping the Law of Christ this should be obvious.
However, the 4th commandment is clearly the "sign" of the Sinai Covenant, just as circumcision was the "sign" of the Abrahamic covenant.

6._____ Although true believers be not under the law as a covenant of works, to be thereby justified or condemned, yet it is of great use to them as well as to others, in that as a rule of life, informing them of the will of God and their duty, it directs and binds them to walk accordingly; discovering also the sinful pollutions of their natures, hearts, and lives, so as examining themselves thereby, they may come to further conviction of, humiliation for, and hatred against, sin; together with a clearer sight of the need they have of Christ and the perfection of his obedience; it is likewise of use to the regenerate to restrain their corruptions, in that it forbids sin; and the threatenings of it serve to shew what even their sins deserve, and what afflictions in this life they may expect for them, although freed from the curse and unallayed rigour thereof. The promises of it likewise shew them God's approbation of obedience, and what blessings they may expect upon the performance thereof, though not as due to them by the law as a covenant of works; so as man's doing good and refraining from evil, because the law encourageth to the one and deterreth from the other, is no evidence of his being under the law and not under grace.
( Romans 6:14; Galatians 2:16; Romans 8:1; Romans 10:4; Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7, etc; Romans 6:12-14; 1 Peter 3:8-13 )

7._____ Neither are the aforementioned uses of the law contrary to the grace of the Gospel, but do sweetly comply with it, the Spirit of Christ subduing and enabling the will of man to do that freely and cheerfully which the will of God, revealed in the law, requireth to be done.
( Galatians 3:21; Ezekiel 36:27 )

As Christians we must always be ready to examine our doctrine and make corrections where necessary.
New Covenant Theology is attempting to make some of those corrections.

However, some of us will have our toes stepped on in the process.

And some of us may have our feelings hurt in the process.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The first problem is that some of the 10 commandments would have made no sense to Adam and Eve before the fall.

I believe people are simply confused about what the Law actually is. Many good men will teach that we have nothing to do with the Law, at all, but those same folks would never tell you to;

1) worship other Gods
2) worship idols
3) take the name of the Lord in vain
4) skip church when the local assembly gathers
5) disrespect your parents
6) murder
7) commit adultery
8) steal
9) gossip or tell lies
10) covet

In a theological sense many will deny the continuing use of the Law in the life of a believer but will live, practically speaking, according to the Law. Protestantism has been pretty united in this area, that Christians should view the Law, not as a covenant by which we are saved, but see it as a way "to reveal what is pleasing to God. As born-again children of God, the law enlightens us as to what is pleasing to our Father, whom we seek to serve. The Christian delights in the law as God Himself delights in it. Jesus said, “If you love Me, keep My commandments” (John 14:15). This is the highest function of the law, to serve as an instrument for the people of God to give Him honor and glory." R.C. Sproul

Paul recognizes that Law was eternal when he wrote of its condemning effects.

“Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.”

That which condemns sin is the eternal, moral, and universal Law spoken of from Genesis to Revelation and that is how it condemned from Adam UNTIL Moses and now convicts sinners pointing them to Christ.

"But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe."

How are "all under sin," and by which standard is this judged? Is there more than one standard by which man is judged?

Paul wrote, "Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law." Gal. 3

So we can see the Gospel of free grace is not contrary to the Law at all and in fact, the Law has a lawful use for the believer.

"Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster."

We are no longer under the old covenant of works for our justification, but the lawful use remains, it points us to Christ "that we might be justified by faith."

Jeremiah 31:31-34King James Version (KJV)

31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:

33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

What Law is spoken of in the promise of the new covenant of grace? How would believers at that time understood "I will put my law in their inward parts?"

I think we take for granted that we know the Law, by the Spirit we know it and love it. It's just that many of us are theological antinomian. Every time Christ talked about Law he told reminded us of the old covenant summation which was love. Now, we have believers thinking "love" (without definiton or context) is the new law Christ gave when clearly, he was giving us a sum of the 10 Commandments.

The second is that some claim the Sabbath was changed from sundown Friday until sundown Saturday, to sometime during the day on Sunday. There is evidence that the early Church met on the first day of the week. However, there is no evidence that they considered it keeping the 4th commandment.

The Fourth Commandment is the only one that I will not comment on.

Another problem is the separation of the "moral law" from the other 603 laws of the "ceremonial law". The Apostle Paul never made this separation. In Galatians chapter 4 Paul compares the Sinai covenant to bondage and later says we are to cast it off. We are under the Law of Christ.

Ernest Reisinger wrote, "The Law and the Gospel" and it was very useful in coming to an understanding of the Law and it's three fold division. It seems you are claiming all Law contained in the Decalogue is all ceremonial? The law of sacrifice was not moral but typical pointed to Christ. If the Law contain in the Decalogue was only ceremonial you are making a distinction, a division between the different Laws given. I agree with the division of the Law held by most Reformed folks. The moral Law declares how we should live, the ceremonial Law was given to national Israel and deals with worship and civil law was how national Israel was to be governed. In Galatians 4 Paul is telling us that accepting the Mosaic Covenant as a means of justification is bondage. Paul also tells us the moral law is still binding, it's evident in Romans 7. He desires, strongly, to keep the law but cannot. That doesn't mean his desire to keep the law evaporates, no, he strives lawfully to love the Lord with thought, word and deed. All of these are according to the moral law.

"For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous." The Law is not grievous to those who love God but it is a heavy burden if you try to earn your salvation with it.

There is nothing wrong with the commandments and we should not ignore them. If we are keeping the Law of Christ this should be obvious.
However, the 4th commandment is clearly the "sign" of the Sinai Covenant, just as circumcision was the "sign" of the Abrahamic covenant.

NCT makes a false distinction between the "Law" and the "Law of Christ." I have already posted Jer. 31 above where it states the Law would be written on our hearts under the New Covenant of Grace. Are you suggesting the Law mentioned in Jer. 31 was a different Law and where in the context of the passage does it state that?

As Christians we must always be ready to examine our doctrine and make corrections where necessary. New Covenant Theology is attempting to make some of those corrections. However, some of us will have our toes stepped on in the process. And some of us may have our feelings hurt in the process.

It is important to make theological adjustments when needed and I hope your toes are fine. NCT is attempting to bridge the gap between Dispensationalism rejection of the moral Law and Covenant theology unnecessary overemphasis on theological constructs. It's similar to Progressive Dispensationalism in this regard. I've never heard a NCT proponent claim we can covet, lie, gossip (9th), etc. and therefore affirm the eternal moral character of God expressed in the Law of the Old Covenant.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NCT makes a false distinction between the "Law" and the "Law of Christ." I have already posted Jer. 31 above where it states the Law would be written on our hearts under the New Covenant of Grace. Are you suggesting the Law mentioned in Jer. 31 was a different Law and where in the context of the passage does it state that?

I hear what you are saying and there is no doubt that when Cain killed Able, murder was a sin.

The problem is that Paul plainly says the Law was added 430 years "after" the promise to Abraham.

Gal 3:17 And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

We also have a verse from Hebrews which makes it plain that the Sinai Covenant is the words written on the tablets of stone.

Heb_9:4 Which had the golden censer, and the ark of the covenant overlaid round about with gold, wherein was the golden pot that had manna, and Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant;

We have to make sure that all of our confessions agree 100 % with every verse.

These verses are a problem for both the Westminster and Baptist Confessions.

The 4th commandment is also the one that seems to be a problem, although I agree with your past statements that a day of rest and worship is beneficial to the believer and the Body of Christ.
The problem seems to be the claim by many that the Sabbath was changed to Sunday, when we have no text to confirm the idea.

Brother, don't worry about hurting my feelings.
I know you love me and are speaking from the heart.

Last edited:
Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

JaeMelo

Dec 30, 2015
Bermuda
✟9,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Tried to listen to the first video but after 5 minutes of talking the Pastor was still telling what he was going to talk about. Sorry, I just don't like long intro's.

Alan
Five minutes isn't even long, even for people with ADD/ADHD. Give it another try if you can. He makes great points both in the 1st & 2nd Parts of the video. I definitely learned a lot from both videos.

Long intros mean lack of substance.
Why not actually watch the video entirely before taking a judgmental stance on the quality of the information being delivered?! If you can, watch both part 1 & 2. If you can come back here and say neither video possessed an abundance of information, Id be surprised.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JaeMelo

Dec 30, 2015
Bermuda
✟9,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is a sermon on the New Covenant.
They are fairly rare on YouTube.
We need to change that...

I agree.
I am watching this right now and enjoying it just like the one in your original post. Id rather see more videos like this than the fear mongering and conspiracy garbage on YouTube.

Any idea where I should start reading to learn exactly what the new covenant laws are?!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The New Covenant in scripture.

Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Jer 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

Jer 31:32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Jer 31:34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Daniel 9:27 from the 1599 Geneva Bible, which is the Bible the Pilgrims brought to America

And he (a) shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to (b) cease, (c) and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make [it] desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

(a) By the preaching of the Gospel he affirmed his promise, first to the Jews, and after to the Gentiles.

(b) Christ accomplished this by his death and resurrection.

(c) Meaning that Jerusalem and the sanctuary would be utterly destroyed because of their rebellion against God, and their idolatry: or as some read, that the plague will be so great, that they will all be astonished at them.

Who Confirmed The Covenant?
http://christianmediaresearch.com/node/1023

Mat 26:28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
NKJV

Joh 19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

Heb 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

Heb 8:13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Heb 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Heb 13:20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,

1Jn 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

1Jn 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

1Jn 3:24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Old Covenant/New Covenant/ the Sabbath

Last edited:
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
For those who deny the continue validity and use of the Decalogue (10 Commandments) I must ask, what Law did Christ die to satisfy?

When we preach the Gospel to all men everywhere calling them to repentance what sins do I call them to repent of?

When Christ died on the cross to save His people what demands of justice did Christ satisfy?

"I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me."

What Law is Paul speaking about?

What is Paul calling evil?

Did Christ die for all of the ceremonial aspects of the Mosaic Law? All of the civil aspects of Mosaic Law? All of the moral aspects of the Mosaic Law? When the scripture tells us to repent what are we told to repent from?

You see, the moral Law existed before the 10 Commandments were given, they were restated as a covenant of works on Sinai and will continue to point us to the righteousness of Jesus Christ our Saviour. NCT is assuming the moral Law without acknowledging it. Christ died having fulfilled the moral Law in our stead. To deny the moral Law is the deny the need for Christ to die in our place fulfilling the covenant of works restated at Sinai. It’s a dangerous thing to deny the righteousness that caused Christ to suffering in our place.

Please consider what you have read, ponder what you know and think about how each biblical doctrine relates to each other.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For those who deny the continue validity and use of the Decalogue (10 Commandments) I must ask, what Law did Christ die to satisfy?

When we preach the Gospel to all men everywhere calling them to repentance what sins do I call them to repent of?

When Christ died on the cross to save His people what demands of justice did Christ satisfy?

"I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me."

What Law is Paul speaking about?

What is Paul calling evil?

Did Christ die for all of the ceremonial aspects of the Mosaic Law? All of the civil aspects of Mosaic Law? All of the moral aspects of the Mosaic Law? When the scripture tells us to repent what are we told to repent from?

You see, the moral Law existed before the 10 Commandments were given, they were restated as a covenant of works on Sinai and will continue to point us to the righteousness of Jesus Christ our Saviour. NCT is assuming the moral Law without acknowledging it. Christ died having fulfilled the moral Law in our stead. To deny the moral Law is the deny the need for Christ to die in our place fulfilling the covenant of works restated at Sinai. It’s a dangerous thing to deny the righteousness that caused Christ to suffering in our place.

Please consider what you have read, ponder what you know and think about how each biblical doctrine relates to each other.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

New Covenant Law:

Rom_6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the
law, but under grace.

Rom 6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law,
but under grace? God forbid.

In the New Covenant, it is the Holy Spirit who lives inside of us and constantly corrects us in our daily battle with sin. Therefore, God’s Law is written inside of us.

Some who oppose the New Covenant teaching claim it is promoting “antinomianism”, or lawlessness. They think those who say we are no longer under the Sinai covenant are promoting murder, adultery, etc.

However, nothing could be further from the truth. We are under a higher law, “The Law of Christ”.

In Matthew chapter 5 we find Christ giving an example of this concept.

Mat 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

Under the Sinai covenant the union of an unmarried man and woman was the sin.

Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

However, the words of Christ above clearly show that lusting after a woman is a sin.

This is an excellent example of the “Law of Christ” as a higher law. We have a better mediator than Moses, and a better law than the Sinai covenant.

We also know murder was a sin, when Cain killed his brother Able, long before the commandments were written on stone at Mount Sinai.

When Jesus was asked which commandment was the greatest, he spoke the following words:

Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
(There is no doubt any believer who follows the instructions given above could never be considered “lawless”.)

We find below a commandment given to His disciples which Christ labels as a “new” commandment.

Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one
another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another

Some attempt to hang onto the Sinai covenant by dividing it into the 10 commandments, which they label as “The Moral Law”, and the 600 or so other laws recorded by Moses as the “Ceremonial Law”. Some also say laws were given that were never written down and are referred to as “The Oral Law”. They say only the “Ceremonial” or “Oral” law was done away with in the New Covenant. The problem is we cannot find this division in the scripture. As a matter of fact, we find just the opposite written in the Book of Hebrews.

Heb_9:4 Which had the golden censer, and the ark of the covenant overlaid round about with gold, wherein was the golden pot that had manna, and Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant;

We find the same concept spelled out for us in the Old Testament.

Exo 34:28 And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

The Sinai covenant is described as the words written on the tables of stone, which we refer to as the 10 commandments. This thwarts any attempts at division.

We find below in the New Testament the tables of the New Covenant.

2Co_3:3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

The disciple Jesus loved gives us commandments of Christ in a letter found near the end of the New Testament in 1Jn.

1Jn 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

1Jn 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

1Jn 3:24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

I once heard a Sunday School teacher make the following statement:

“We are not under the Law.”

Without further clarification the quote above could be quite confusing.

This statement may be at least partially responsible for what some have labeled the “Hyper-Grace Movement”, which has been extremely destructive to the modern Church. Those who promote this concept often teach that once a person comes to faith in Christ, their sinful nature does not need to change. This teaching is clearly in error, based on the Apostle Paul’s first letter to the Corinthians. Paul told the Corinthian believers to not even eat with a man who was involved in an inappropriate sexual relationship.

1Co 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an
idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such
an one no not to eat.

Will we struggle with sin our whole lives? Yes.

Should we accept blatant sin as promoted by the “Hyper-Grace Movement”? No.

Gal 3:18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

Are we under the Sinai covenant Law? No.

Are we under the Law of Christ? Yes.

Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
Col 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Those who think they can keep the commandments are like a person who has the 10 commandments written on a lead bar and suspend it around their neck with a log chain.
It is a yoke of bondage that only Christ could bear.

Act 15:5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.
Act 15:6 And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter.
Act 15:7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.
Act 15:8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;
Act 15:9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.
Act 15:10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?

Cast out the Sinai covenant of bondage, as the Apostle Paul admonished the Galatian church to do in Galatians chapter 4.

Gal 4:24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.

Gal 4:30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.

Gal 4:31 So then,
brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

If we are not under the Sinai covenant then there is another choice.

Heb 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gideon

Nov 13, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟32,027.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

First a question for you JM. If the Manna in the Ark of the Covenant was a 'type and shadow' of the true Bread that came down from Heaven (John 6:49-51), what are the tablets of stone (the decalogue) a 'type and shadow' of?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First a question for you JM. If the Manna in the Ark of the Covenant was a 'type and shadow' of the true Bread that came down from Heaven (John 6:49-51), what are the tablets of stone (the decalogue) a 'type and shadow' of?

The unbroken covenant with God.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The unbroken covenant with God.

Exo_34:28 And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

Jer 31:32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

Gal 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

Gal 3:17 And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

Gal 3:18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

Gal 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

Gal 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cribstyl
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a great misunderstanding over the relationship between the Sinai covenant and the New Covenant.

We can find 9 of the 10 commandments repeated in the New Testament.

The commandment to keep the Friday sundown to Saturday sundown Sabbath is not found.
Some would say the Sabbath has been moved to anytime Sunday and we do find the early Church meeting on the Lord's Day in Acts 20:7. However, we do not have any text stating that the Sabbath was moved. We also have Colossians 2:16 clearly stating that we are not to judge Christians in Sabbath observance.

In the same way that circumcision was the "Sign" of the Abrahamic covenant, the 4th commandment was the "Sign" of the Sinai covenant.
Christians are not commanded to observe either of these "Signs" in the New Covenant.

There is nothing wrong with the commandment to not commit adultery.
If you are videotaping your neighbor's wife while she is mowing the yard in her bikini, you are not breaking the Sinai covenant.
However, you are committing a sin under the New Covenant, based on the words of Christ in Matthew chapter 5.

Mat 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Paul commanded the Galatian church to cast out the Sinai covenant of bondage, because they were attempting to gain their salvation or add to their salvation by keeping the Sinai covenant, which is an impossible task.

We find in Galatians chapter 3 that we are the children of Abraham through faith in Christ, in the same way that righteousness was accounted to Abraham through his faith. Circumcision is of the heart, instead of the flesh.

King David was an adulterer and a murderer, who should have been stoned to death under the Sinai covenant.
David was saved through faith, just as Abraham was.

1Ti 1:8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

Gal_2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Those who place an emphasis on keeping the 10 commandments, instead of keeping the focus on the work of Christ at Calvary, are in some ways being a modern day Judaiser.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Folks, for the record...NCT isn't that bad, I just don't believe they realize how there position will affect the rest of their theology.

Notice, not one of my questions where answered.

In the New Covenant, it is the Holy Spirit who lives inside of us and constantly corrects us in our daily battle with sin. Therefore, God’s Law is written inside of us.

Exactly. The Law is written on our hearts. As I have already posted, NCT assumes the moral Law, but denies it theologically. Here is a perfect example...

They think those who say we are no longer under the Sinai covenant are promoting murder, adultery, etc. However, nothing could be further from the truth. We are under a higher law, “The Law of Christ”.

Unwilling to give up the moral Law declared before and after Sinai, NCT simply moves the Law under to the heading of "The Law of Christ." They still teach all of the moral aspects of the Law including the principle of assembling with the saints to rest by grace through faith in Christ, one day in seven. I've never heard NCT say it was ok to murder, to forsake the weekly assembly of the saints, to dishonour your parents, etc.

It's a denial of the Law theologically but NCT affirms each and every single command given on Sinai practically.

We are under a higher law, “The Law of Christ”. In Matthew chapter 5 we find Christ giving an example of this concept.

Matthew 5 is not a new or "higher" law. Christ is simply point out the true purpose of the Law and that purpose is a need for a new heart because sin is ultimately a matter of the heart. Christ had not enacted the New Covenant at Matthew 5 so the New Covenant was still in promise form, His remarks to the listeners were to those under the old covenant. Matthew 5 was spoken to Jews who knew the Decalogue. It's not a "higher" Law but the same Law because He was talking to the Jews who already knew the Law. If you believe the old Mosaic covenant of works didn't point out that sin is an issue of the heart when it was first given you must also deny it after the coming of Christ. You can't have it both ways.

Under the Sinai covenant the union of an unmarried man and woman was the sin.

That's simply untrue. You want to know why? Christ said in Matthew 5 that sin was an issue of the heart which gives feet to action. The sin was not just the action itself. Jesus or NCT? I'll go with Jesus.

This is an excellent example of the “Law of Christ” as a higher law. We have a better mediator than Moses, and a better law than the Sinai covenant.

As shown it is not a “higher” Law but the same Law but we do have a better mediator for Christ fulfilled what Moses only demanded. This does not invalid the morality but reinforces morality, a morality that is so important to God that Christ had to die for our inability to keep it.

We also know murder was a sin, when Cain killed his brother Able, long before the commandments were written on stone at Mount Sinai.

Proof that moral Law existed before Sinai. Thank you.

When Jesus was asked which commandment was the greatest, he spoke the following words:

Carefully read the following.

Mat 22 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Notice, the whole thrust of the commandments found in the Law and the prophets is love and is a quotation from Law itself. (Deut. 6, Lev. 19) Love to God, love to neighbour. Christ again points us to the meaning of the moral Law which is love and we can be certain of the fact because He tells us, “on these two commandments hang all the LAW and the PROPHETS.” Our dear Lord is giving us a summation of the moral Law! The first table of the Law explains our duty to God in love, the second table explains our duty to mankind in love. The Law finds restatement and clearly in the Gospel.

(There is no doubt any believer who follows the instructions given above could never be considered “lawless”.)

Exactly, and this is why NCT isn’t so bad, it just hasn’t thought things through. The moral Law is being assumed and lived by believers who profess to be theologically antinominian.

We find below a commandment given to His disciples which Christ labels as a “new” commandment. Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one
another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

So what do we do with the fact that this isn’t a new command and a quotation from the Law?

Leviticus 19.17 reads “but you shall love your neighbor as yourself…”

Some attempt to hang onto the Sinai covenant by dividing it into the 10 commandments, which they label as “The Moral Law”, and the 600 or so other laws recorded by Moses as the “Ceremonial Law”. Some also say laws were given that were never written down and are referred to as “The Oral Law”. They say only the “Ceremonial” or “Oral” law was done away with in the New Covenant. The problem is we cannot find this division in the scripture. As a matter of fact, we find just the opposite written in the Book of Hebrews.

Consider your own words brother, “We also know murder was a sin, when Cain killed his brother Able, long before the commandments were written on stone at Mount Sinai.”

You have already affirmed that the moral Law pre-dated the giving of the Decalogue on Sinai which infers a difference between ceremonial, civil and moral law.

The moral Law remains as shown when Christ gave us a summation of it in the quote provided above.

“For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.”

Is that moral, civil or ceremonial Law Christ is talking about? Are we still making burnt offerings? No. Are we still stoning people for sins? No. Is it still against the Law to murder? Yes. Moral Law remains.

2Co_3:3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

2 Cor. 3:3 tells us that the Decalogue is now on the hearts of all believers. It’s not a “higher” Law or new Law, the same Law in tables of stone is now “in the fleshy tables of the heart.”

Scripture is very clear.

I once heard a Sunday School teacher make the following statement: “We are not under the Law.”

It was probably meant that we are not under Law as a covenant of works by which we earn salvation. It is true we are saved by works, the works of Christ who lived a perfect life and died in our place for our transgressions.

Gal 3:18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise. Are we under the Sinai covenant Law? No. Are we under the Law of Christ? Yes.

If you are implying that Christians who believe in the moral Law are seeking to earn “the inheritance” of salvation by Law you are sadly mistaken. This is a straw-man if ever there was one. What we contend is that Law reveals to us our sinfulness, restrains evil and reveals to the believer what is pleasing to God. This moral Law is “not in tables of stone” any longer but “in the fleshy tables of the heart.” Love to God, love to man, on this hang all the LAW and the prophets.

Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Col 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Amen. You quoted scripture after all…we are no longer to keep holy-days, festival days (including made up holy-days like Christmas and Easter) and the Jubilee days/Sabbath Days.

Those who think they can keep the commandments are like a person who has the 10 commandments written on a lead bar and suspend it around their neck with a log chain.
It is a yoke of bondage that only Christ could bear.

This is not an accurate statement about those who believe in a continued USE of the Decalogue. No Christian believes they can keep the Law, rather, we believe in the continued use of the Law for reasons Jesus stated already. The Law is written on our hearts, all previous revelation was given so that we would know how to love God and our fellowman, moral Law gives us a clear outline for restraining evil in society, moral Law reveals our sin to us and moral Law reveals what is pleasing to God.

Please, do not misrepresent the historic Christian position like that, it’s just wrong.

You quoted Acts 15 to bulk up your post but it doesn’t apply. You have misunderstood the historic Christian position held by RC’s, EO’s, Lutherans, Reformed, etc. The passage is about ceremonial Law keeping (circumcision was the issue) and no one has even ventured that in this thread.

Cast out the Sinai covenant of bondage, as the Apostle Paul admonished the Galatian church to do in Galatians chapter 4.

Amen. Get rid of those who would mix Law keeping as a form of righteousness with grace. But that isn’t my position. I’m Reformed. I believe that salvation is by Christ alone through grace.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0