mid-Americauna
✟3,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I know that the Bible says all Christians have a spiritual gift, but I just don't know what mine would be. None of the 'gifts' listed seem to specifically apply to me or really describe me. I really do desire to be used by God. I want Him to use me, but how do I figure out how I can be used. I am on the introverted/quieter side and just don't know how to fit in with a mostly extroverted Church. Where do I fit in and how do I know??
well when I was a way younger we had a bible study about the difference between motivational gifts and spiritual Offices .
the study is about what the difference is between these lists below and why they are different.
maybe someone can help you with the name of these old studies . I have forgot the name.
1Co 12:28

And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

these are about how each of us shows love and usually even how you learn new things too .

Eph 4:11

And he gave some, apostles; and some,prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

these are about the offices I think , He wishes to put you into for his bodies sake..

maybe these aren't right verses.. I can't find mercy... I know that was one of them. there may be other verses.

so let's take prophets . so you can have a motivation of prophet , this is one who sees everything in black and white and can't understand why someone would get offended by his revelation of God's truth I mean if he didn't love he wouldn't have fasted and prayed for the wisdom.. . and he knows God truth because it is how he sees love.

but if God puts him in the office of say a teacher .. then he is going to want to say teach people how to control their money or he is going to go on a mission to make sure the peoples money get to the needy. one of his heart and the other his office.

Or Like Jeremiah who cried a lot.. had a Mercy motivation but his office was Prophet .. so he cried alot when God made him see what was coming .. he could feel in his bones the pain the people were going to go through because of their rebellion to God and the land and to each other . He knew it in his bones and it came out in his tears and in his hours of prayer and fasting so that they would repent. they didn't they just hated him. when it happened they were all sorry they hated him.

so knowing your motivation and then knowing where God is going to put you in his body and with believers .
once he puts you there he expects you to do what only you can do no matter what others think of you .
so finding who you are to him and how you learn from him takes time and some prayer and maybe fasting after a lot of info and bible study. I can't seem to find the study , it was like 35 - 40 years ago. but it sure helped me understand the importance of a body.. and of each of us having different focuses, and each person allowing others to be different .
because together everything could work better.
I will keep looking to see find the name of that study.

here is some lists with mercy like words but that wasn't it either.

Gal 5:22

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Eph 5:9

(For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
well when I was a way younger we had a bible study about the difference between motivational gifts and spiritual Offices .
the study is about what the difference is between these lists below and why they are different.
maybe someone can help you with the name of these old studies . I haven't forgot the name.
1Co 12:28

And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

these are about how each of us shows love and usually even how you learn new things too .

Eph 4:11

And he gave some, apostles; and some,prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

these are about the offices I think , He wishes to put you into for his bodies sake..

maybe these aren't right verses.. I can't find mercy... I know that was one of them. there may be other verses.

so let's take prophets . so you can have a motivation of prophet , this is one who sees everything in black and white and can't understand why someone would get offended by his revelation of God's truth I mean if he didn't love he wouldn't have fasted and prayed for the wisdom.. . and he knows God truth because it is how he sees love.

but if God puts him in the office of say a teacher .. then he is going to want to say teach people how to control their money or he is going to go on a mission to make sure the peoples money get to the needy. one of his heart and the other his office.

Or Like Jeremiah who cried a lot.. had a Mercy motivation but his office was Prophet .. so he cried alot when God made him see what was coming .. he could feel in his bones the pain the people were going to go through because of their rebellion to God and the land and to each other . He knew it in his bones and it came out in his tears and in his hours of prayer and fasting so that they would repent. they didn't they just hated him. when it happened they were all sorry they hated him.

so knowing your motivation and then knowing where God is going to put you in his body and with believers .
once he puts you there he expects you to do what only you can do no matter what others think of you .
so finding who you are to him and how you learn from him takes time and some prayer and maybe fasting after a lot of info and bible study. I can't seem to find the study , it was like 3500 years ago. but it sure helped me understand the importance of a body.. and of each of us having different focuses, and each person allowing others to be different .
because together everything could work better.
I will keep looking to see find the name of that study.

here is some lists with mercy like words but that wasn't it either.

Gal 5:22

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Eph 5:9

(For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)

Hi,
My life totally agrees with what you have said. I am not allowed to teach. I am horrible at it. Yet, I am allowed to say what I have experienced. Also, I fit in The Body of Believers, just like you said, and I work there in my place, as I am to God.
LOVE,
...Mary., .... .

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
you say ''special knowledge that the Spirit reveals regarding specific situations"

Blue Letter Bible reveals this,

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G1108&t=KJV

1. knowledge signifies in general intelligence, understanding
    1. the general knowledge of Christian religion

2. the deeper more perfect and enlarged knowledge of this religion, such as belongs to the more advanced

3. esp. of things lawful and unlawful for Christians

4. moral wisdom, such as is seen in right living

Thus, the Bible's definition as illustrated by the scholars who put this together have a far different definition than you do.

This is the ideal source of info for those who have questions on biblical issues.
Thanks anyway, but BlueLetter is a bit too basic for my needs.
The following books would be representative of the best information that we can currently obtain regarding gnosis (knowledge) and I've included some lexical information from five major Lexicons.

Pneumatology & Christology Books.jpg

GK 1194 gnosis (Goodrick/Kholenber numbering system [NIV])

NIV 1 Corinthians 12:8 To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit,

NAU 1 Corinthians 12:8 For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit;

MIT 1 Corinthians 12:8 For instance: A verbalization of wisdom is given to one through the spirit. To another a verbalization of knowledge is accorded by the same spirit.

ESV 1 Corinthians 12:8 For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit,

NKJ 1 Corinthians 12:8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit,

NLT 1 Corinthians 12:8 To one person the Spirit gives the ability to give wise advice; to another the same Spirit gives a message of special knowledge.

KJV 1 Corinthians 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

YLT 1 Corinthians 12:8 for to one through the Spirit hath been given a word of wisdom, and to another a word of knowledge, according to the same Spirit;

BGT 1 Corinthians 12:8ᾧ μὲν γὰρ διὰ τοῦ πνεύματος δίδοται λόγος σοφίας, ἄλλῳ δὲ λόγος γνώσεως κατὰ τὸ αὐτὸ πνεῦμα,​

Friberg Lexicon

5576 γνῶσις, εως, ἡ basically, as the possession of information what is known, knowledge; (1) as a characteristic of God and man knowledge (RO 11.33; 1C 8.1); (2) as the result of divine enlightenment knowledge, understanding, insight (LU 1.77); (3) of heretical claims to higher forms of knowledge available only to a select few gnosis, (esoteric) knowledge (1T 6.20)​

Louw-Nida Lexicon

28.1 γινώσκω ; οἶδα ; γνωρίζω ; γνῶσις, εως f: to possess information about - 'to know, to know about, to have knowledge of, to be acquainted with, acquaintance.' γινώσκω: διότι γνόντες τὸν θεὸν οὐκ ὡς θεὸν ἐδόξασαν 'since, although they knew about God, they did not honor him as God' or '... they did not give him the honor that belongs to him' Ro 1.21; ὑμεῖς ἐστε οἱ δικαιοῦντες ἑαυτοὺς ἐνώπιον τῶν ἀνθρώπων, ὁ δὲ θεὸς γινώσκει τὰς καρδίας ὑμῶν 'you are the ones who make yourselves look right in people's sight, but God knows your hearts' Lk 16.15. οἶδα: γρηγορεῖτε οὖν, ὅτι οὐκ οἴδατε τὴν ἡμέραν οὐδὲ τὴν ὥραν 'watch out, then, because you do not know the day or hour' Mt 25.13; τὰς ἐντολὰς οἶδας 'you know the commandments' Mk 10.19. γνωρίζω: τί αἱρήσομαι οὐ γνωρίζω 'which I shall choose, I do not know' Php 1.22. γνῶσις: τοῦ δοῦναι γνῶσιν σωτηρίας τῷ λαῷ αὐτοῦ 'to let his people know that they will be saved' Lk 1.77.​

LS Greek Lexicon

9106 γνῶσις
γνῶσις
, εως, ἡ, (γι-γνώσκω) a judicial inquiry Dem.
II. a knowing, knowledge, Plat., N.T.
2. acquaintance with a person, πρός τινα ap. Aeschin.
3. a knowing, recognising, Thuc.
III. a being known, fame, credit, Luc.​

Thayer’s Greek Lexicon

160 γνῶσις
γνῶσις
, γνώσεως, ἡ (γινώσκω) (from Thucydides down), knowledge: with the genitive of the object, σωτηρίας, Luke 1:77; τοῦ Θεοῦ, the knowledge of God, such as is offered in the gospel, 2 Cor. 2:14, especially in Paul's exposition of it, 2 Cor. 10:5; τῆς δόξης τοῦ Θεοῦ ἐν προσώπῳ Χριστοῦ, 2 Cor. 4:6; Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, of Christ as a saviour, Phil. 3:8; 2 Pet. 3:18; with subjunctive genitive τοῦ Θεοῦ, the knowledge of things which belongs to God, Rom. 11:33. γνῶσις, by itself, signifies in general intelligence, understanding: Eph. 3:19; the general knowledge of the Christian religion, Rom. 15:14; 1 Cor. 1:5; the deeper, more perfect and enlarged knowledge of this religion, such as belongs to the more advanced, 1 Cor. 12:8; 13:2,8; 14:6; 2 Cor. 6:6; 8:7; 11:6; especially of things lawful and unlawful for Christians, 1 Cor. 8:1,7,10f; the higher knowledge of Christian and divine things which false teachers boast of, ψευδωνομος γνῶσις, 1 Tim. 6:20 (cf. Holtzmann, Pastoralbriefe, p. 132f); moral wisdom, such as is seen in right living, 2 Pet. 1:5; and in contact with others: κατά γνῶσιν, wisely, 1 Pet. 3:7. objective knowledge: what is known concerning divine things and human duties, Rom. 2:20; Col. 2:3; concerning salvation through Christ, Luke 11:52. Where γνῶσις and σοφία are used together the former seems to be knowledge regarded by itself, the latter wisdom as exhibited in action: Rom. 11:33; 1 Cor. 12:8; Col. 2:3. ("γνῶσις is simply intuitive, σοφία is ratiocinative also; γνῶσις applies chiefly to the apprehension of truths, σοφία superadds the power of reasoning about them and tracing their relations." Lightfoot on Colossians, the passage cited. To much the same effect Fritzsche (on Romans, the passage cited), "γνῶσις perspicientia veri, σοφία sapientia aut mentis sollertia, quae cognita intellectaque veritate utatur, ut res efficiendas efficiat." Meyer (on 1 Corinthians, the passage cited) nearly reverses Lightfoot's distinction; elsewhere, however (e. g. on Colossians, the passage cited, cf. 9), he and others regard σοφία merely as the more general, γνῶσις as the more restricted and special term. Cf. Lightfoot as above; Trench, sec. lxxv.)*​

VGNT Dictionary

866 γνῶσις [pg 129]
γνῶσις.

An interesting example of this word in its more general sense is afforded by P Lond 13015 (i/iiA.D.) (= I. p. 133) where a horoscope is prefaced by a letter in which the writer urges his pupil to be attentive to the laws of the art which the ancient Egyptians had discovered and handed down—ἀπέλειπον τὴν περὶ αὐτῶν γνῶσιν. P Hib I. 9213 (B.C. 263) ἕως γνώσεως περὶ τῆς δίκης is translated by the editors “until the decision of the suit.” So in P Hal I. 125 (iii/B.C.) ὅ]ταν ἡ γνῶσις ἀναγνωσθῆι παρὰ δικαστῶν ἢ δια@ι]τητῶν ἢ κριτῶν, and several times in the correspondence of Abinnaeus (iv/A.D.), as P Lond 23418 (c. B.C. 346) (= II. p. 287) ἀνενεχθήσεται εἰς γνῶσιν τοῦ αὐτοῦ κυρίου μου @δο]ῦκος. In P Oxy X. 125320 (iv/A.D.), an official report of certain military requisitions made at Oxyrhynchus by some officers, they render τῆς γνώσεως τῶν ὑφ᾽ ἑκάστου παρασχεθέντων, “the account of what was provided by each” (Edd.). In a Christian letter of iv/A.D., P Oxy VI. 9394, the word has the additional connotation of “solicitous” knowledge, when a dependent writes to his master ὡς ἐν ἄλ]λοις πλείστοις νῦν ἔτι μᾶλλον ἡ πρὸς σὲ @τοῦ δεσπό]tου θεοῦ γνῶσις ἀνεφάνη ἅπασιν ἡμῖν, “as on many other occasions so now even more plainly than ever has the regard of the Lord God for you been revealed to us all” (Edd.).

Dibelius (HZNT ad l.) finds a technical meaning derived from Greek mysticism in the use of γνῶσις in Phil 38 διὰ τὸ ὑπερέχον τῆς γνώσεως Χριστοῦ Ἰησοῦ τοῦ κυρίου μου, and quotes the Hermetic prayer from Pap. Mimaut (cited by Reitzenstein Hellenist. Mysterienreligionen p. 113 ff.), χάριν σοι οἴδαμεν, ὕψιστε· σῇ γὰρ χάριτι τοῦτο τὸ φῶς τῆς γνώσεως ἐλάβομεν … χαίρομεν ὅτι ἐν σώμασιν ἡμᾶς ὄντας ἀπεθέωσας τῇ σεαυτοῦ θέᾳ. Deissmann, on the other hand, thinks that there is here no reference to speculative knowledge of Christ, but to personal and pneumatic acquaintance with Christ, and illustrates this meaning of the word from a i/A.D. decree of the Byzantines, Latyschev I. 476 f., which boasts of a citizen of Olbia that μέχρι τᾶς τῶν Σεβαστῶν γνώσεως προκό@ψ]αντος, “he had advanced to personal acquaintance with the Augusti (Augustus and Tiberius)”: see LAE, p. 383 n.8. It may be added that Dieterich’s conclusion, based on the use of γνῶσις in the magic papyri, that “the ‘Knowledge,’ which also plays so large a part in Christian teaching, is specially due to Greek influence” (Abraxas, p. 134) is rejected by Norden Agnostos Theos, p. 96 n.1.​

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
blue letter bible references many of those sources which are good for scholars and laymen alike
The BlueLetter site is certainly an interesting tool but the only source of mine that I could find was with Thayer's Lexicon. The site can be a superb way of moving into study without the need for spending a huge amount of money and even though Bible programs such as BibleWorks and Logos contain a number of electronic books the ones that I referred to are sadly not a part of these packages.

Upvote 0

rainbowj

Oct 21, 2015
✟15,111.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The Lord Jesus Christ had all the Spiritual gifts. Sometimes i guess we tend not to take God seriously. The Lord Jesus Christ said, ...all things are possible to the one who beleives(mark 9:23). And that if we ask for anything in his name we will recieve(John 14:12-14). So you must look within yourself, what motivates you, what are you passionate about, did the Lord Jesus exemplify any of those passions or motivations? If so, then all you must do is, with a sincere heart ask the Lord to make that gift manifest in your life. He himself tells us all things are possible, and ask and you will receive. I believe if we take the Lord Jesus at his word, and are truly sincere; if we personally would like, all the gifts of the Spirit will be made available to us. God cannot lie. It is a matter of faith(trust in what God has said) on your individual part, thats all God is looking for, because all the gifts are available to you, and that is what life in abundance encompasses.

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Connecting with others is my gift, people tell me things; I am a natural counsellor. I went to buy some shopping one time and the lady on the checkout told me she had some rare blood disease.

Hi,

Well hello 'natural counsellor'. It is nice for you to be here. I totally understand what you said, so much so, that I will tell you something about yourself. You are almost selfless.

I would say more, and would like to, but do not know how to say it here.

LOVE, (My best recollection of the way God actually loves)
...Mary Kate., .... .

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Connecting with others is my gift, people tell me things; I am a natural counsellor. I went to buy some shopping one time and the lady on the checkout told me she had some rare blood disease.
I'm curious, as your skills are by your own words a "natural" ability, does this mean that you deem that everyone (be they Christian or atheists) has been given a "spiritual gift" by the Holy Spirit?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

danielkibby

Oct 26, 2015
Norwich,UK
Visit site
✟15,290.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That's a good question. By natural I mean people open up to me and I don't work professionally as a counsellor.

Would I say everyone has spiritual giftedness no.

I consider complete strangers being very open with me a gift, be it a bit strange sometimes.

Upvote 0

danielkibby

Oct 26, 2015
Norwich,UK
Visit site
✟15,290.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

Well hello 'natural counsellor'. It is nice for you to be here. I totally understand what you said, so much so, that I will tell you something about yourself. You are almost selfless.

I would say more, and would like to, but do not know how to say it here.

LOVE, (My best recollection of the way God actually loves)
...Mary Kate., .... .

Considering myself to be selfless is a stretch for me but I appreciate the compliment, I make every effort to be about others as God asks his children to be.

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Considering myself to be selfless is a stretch for me but I appreciate the compliment, I make every effort to be about others as God asks his children to be.

Hi,

And just how, other than knowing I and you are not perfect before God or in this world, is your making every effort to be about others as God asks his children to be, not being essentially selfless when you are doing that? :) :) :)

I was 27, "Your God" had me working for myself and working for others. (My family required some of my non professional time) One day, with work demanding my fair share, and my verbal contract with my parents in effect, I realized that I no longer counted in this world, after about 5 years of working, commuting and then doing nights and weekends in my parents business.

I asked myself, if I liked not counting. I decided I did. That was my first entry into selflessness, but I did not know it.

Twenty years later, I became a real Christian, plus. The plus is "Your God" allowed me to prove that The Bible is Real, and since the Bible is Real, God is Real.

That put me into an interesting position, that God is going to eventually handle with me. The position is and was, I went from not knowing if God is Real, to knowing He is Real, therefore Faith in God, or Faith in The Bible was no longer possible. I had fact, not faith.

Actually that sounds like a perfect situation. It was not. It slowly bothered me.

I now have faith, but not in God's existence, or in The Bible, but in something God did in my life, and never brought the incident up to the point of fact, and oh by the way, I am very uncomfortable with that situation.

Ironic right? I complained about not knowing if God is Real or not. That was taken care of. Eventually I felt bad about not having faith. That was taken care of. Now I am complaining about having to use faith on that item.

I am a mess. However, this is about selflessness, and wondering if you will find that useful or interesting, and not about me.

One day, after doing something barely on faith, (a calling), it was about 8 months later and I noticed that I could not get enough of other people in the friendly way. I asked myself if I liked that and decided that I did.

What I mean by that, is I could not get enough time or enough details about everyone who came around me, but never wanted or thought to tell them about myself. I went from me-centric, my normal way of living, to you-centric. It was actually fun.

Later though, I who have never ever had the emotion called love, went from that Agape-Like way, to an Agape-Love way. I was surprised, and eventually informed everyone so that I would not be technically telling lies by deception.

Off topic, it went higher one day. I did not think I had to tell anyone that, as it was fundamentally the same as Agape-Love, so I did not, as I did not know how to tell them then, what it actually was.

Today, I still get to be loving at times, where I cease to exist to myself. I still like it.

LOVE,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums