Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Also sales tax (slavery) and property tax (slavery) at our county level.
Where’s that poster who contends, in seriousness, they are (insert percentage here) slave because they have to pay taxes?

• Informative
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
.....That’s why we are pushing for new laws to protect workers and hold businesses accountable for exploitation occurring in their supply chains.
Im thinking if modern slavery ended we'd all have to tolerate an inflation uptick, as services and products would have to have a proper wage priced in. Not sure we're willing to tolerate that. We like our cheap stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Higher education should be taxpayer subsidized. It was to a much greater degree when I was in college and I am not strapped with debt because of that. And also, anyone who works for a wage is working class. Thats most of the population. We benefit from an educated and work ready adult population.
That would require people to change how they think about college, and introduce some much needed pragmatism into the process.

For instance,
In the Scandinavian countries that offer to cover the tuition cost via taxpayer money, it's very much a meritocracy (they have some strict entrance criteria, about half of people who apply get rejected, it's as high as a 2/3 rejection rate in places like Finland)
They put a cap on how many available slots there are to study specialties (like journalism, fine arts, etc...)

So in order for it to work, people would need to somewhat detach themselves from the notion of "it's owed to me to get to study this thing I'm passionate about"

At the end of the day, if there's only 6k new job openings per year in the field of journalism

...we don't need 90k kids a year graduating with degrees in journalism

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Im thinking if modern slavery ended we'd all have to tolerate an inflation uptick, as services and products would have to have a proper wage priced in. Not sure we're willing to tolerate that. We like our cheap stuff.

...and, gasp, more goverment regulation.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
  • Optimistic
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Higher education should be taxpayer subsidized. It was to a much greater degree when I was in college and I am not strapped with debt because of that. And also, anyone who works for a wage is working class. Thats most of the population. We benefit from an educated and work ready adult population.
It is somewhat if it is a public school. That is why public schools are cheaper than private schools and public schools in state are cheaper than public schools out of state; because the reasoning is that the students (or at least their parents) are paying for the school through taxes.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am much, much more concerned about the types of slavery where multiple millions of people and children are forced into human trafficking, child slavery, debt bondage/bonded labor, descent-based slavery, and forced/child marriages.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ADVISOR HAT

This thread was moved from News & Current Events as that forum requires a link to a current credible news article.
Thank you.

Upvote 0