catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, everyone :) I listened only to about 1-32 minutes on the video > I can't guarantee how correctly I understand things he has said; but here is what I got out of what I listened to >

He says that there has been religious holiness which has been imposed on people, dictating their outward behavior, but not having transformation of one's heart.

He asks,

Do we need to be holy in order to go to Heaven?

And,

Aren't we saved by grace through faith?

He points out that Hebrews 12:14 says we need to pursue "holiness, without which no one will see the Lord" (in Hebrews 12:14). Yes.

And to me it is clear how Hebrews 12:4-11 says God's correction changes us to "become partakers of His holiness." So, it is so important that we actively seek God for His real correction. And this is guaranteed to us because our Heavenly Father loves us. God is committed to succeeding in us to truly correct us . . . in our character. And there is only one way our character can become, in God's correction > "as He is, so are we in this world." (in 1 John 4:17)

So, this is basic Bible, I would encourage. God is the One who is spiritual enough to change us to be how He wants us to be holy.

Dallas Willard did say that holiness is not mainly about outward behavior. It is about how you are.

And he gave the scripture which says not to love the things of this world.

I find this interesting how he brought in what not to love, in his presentation about what holiness involves and if holiness is good for us.

Yes, I would say, holiness is about how we love, along with how we are. Do not love the world or the things in the world.

"Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world---the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life---is not of the Father but is of the world." (1 John 2:14-15)

He says people can use their abilities to get what they want; they can organize their lives around their desires. Instead, we need to walk according to the Holy Spirit, and not according to the lusts of the flesh.

So, yes, I would say holiness has to do with our hearts' desires. And these can be connected to our real character which can decide how we are and what we want and value and love the most.

So, by the way - - - if I guilt-trip myself about my wrong ways, this is not actively seeking God for real correction!! I might be trying to use my pain on my own self, in order to take correction into my own hands so God does not really change me. I think of how 2 Corinthians 7:10 says there is true repentance but also there is worldly sorrow. True repentance brings a person to life in God's own love, in sharing with Him and with one another; and I see this is included in having holiness of His love.

Mr. Willard says there is fasting which opens up a person to God's things; but there also can be fasting which is just one more religious item to do. And he quoted how we need to live by every word which comes from God.

So, I see he's saying how fasting can be a way of not seeking God; plus, I would add > prayer can be a way of handing God a shopping list, and not seeking Him for Himself and all He desires to share with us as His family. We need to submit to Him in order to get real correction, of how God Himself in us is transforming our nature to be more like Jesus is "gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." (in Matthew 11:28-30)

Also, Dallas says, if I understand him correctly, that holiness involves union of spirit with God, so we can get beyond practices and arrangements which are merely human.

And yes, 1 Corinthians 6:17 does say,

"But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him." (1 Corinthians 6:17)

I personally see how in union with God, how God is will win out over how we are. We will become holy like God is holy, more and more as He changes us in union with Him. And so then, I would offer >

Holiness is in sharing with God.

So, this is very intimate and kind and personal with God in His own love which the Holy Spirit does share with each of us "in our hearts" (Romans 5:5).

Dallas says holiness takes us away from how this world does things. Pursuing holiness takes us into God's kingdom.

And I personally understand how God's kingdom is how God Himself is, how He is feeling and loving and all about God; so God's kingdom is God's realm of His own experience, and He does desire to share His very own kingdom-experience with us ! ! ! And in His holiness we are now sharing with Him even in how He is and how He is feeling and experiencing and loving . . . and forgiving >

"And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you." (Ephesians 4:32)

Also, Dallas Willard points out that not only is false holiness about meeting other people's expectations, but false holiness can be what you yourself impose on yourself!!

He says that who we are is not decided by what others put on us, but it is our own choice, I think he is saying. And he says there are unique individuals in God's holiness . . . no carbon copies.

But yes ones can have one-size-fits-all outward standards and what people expect to see . . . what humans are capable of seeing and doing.

In the part of the tape which I listened to, he did not get into how we are members of each other, in Jesus. I don't know if he gets into this, but I understand we are not just unique individuals, but we are one body in Jesus, members of each other. So, we do not have totally independent identities . . . though each member is unique > we need to watch out for being independent in ways which get us isolated.

So, in my opinion, holiness is not isolation.

Plus > Jesus was in Heaven itself and had all He had going for Him; yet, Jesus truly holy did not stay in Heaven but He cared for us so He came here to share with us and bring us all to share with Him in His own good as His family > Romans 8:29.

So, Jesus is not at all conceited if He so superior and holy has so cared for ones like we have been and lived; holiness is not conceit, and not seeking superiority, then. And holiness has us "forgiving one another, even as God" > Ephesians 4:31-32. And this comes with putting away "bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking" and "all malice." (in Ephesians 4:31-32)

So, yes, holiness has to do with how God's love has us becoming, even now in this world, including as we put away cruel and dominating things in us. God's love is kind to us, "and you will find rest for your souls." (in Matthew 11:28-30)

So, I would say becoming holy includes how we do not trust any bickering and arguing and complaining, or any conclusions and decisions and feelings and ways of reacting and relating which are not in the peace of God ruling in our hearts >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

Plus > do not worship or trust any excuses!! Because God is able >

"casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

This is still a useful post, bringing together several things, and in a good way. (perhaps even to you also?)

Another one: "Discipleship is not a dessert option!!"
:)

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And, like I said, holiness is not isolation.

Holiness is not a do-it-yourself thing.
That's an interesting thing to say, and I realize I don't know all you mean, or rather, precisely how you mean it. Of course we pray alone in a profound sense, us to God, directly. But it's not from us that we are made new, or restored later, or cleansed, or any of the key things, but from above, done to us, by amazing grace, amazing love.

• Winner
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0