Apr 30, 2010
✟8,986.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
One of the clearest teachings on "hell" is found in Luke16:19-31:

The Rich Man and Lazarus

19“There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

22“The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23In hell,c where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

25“But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

27“He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father’s house, 28for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

29“Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

30“‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

31“He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

Jesus taught that punishment after this life is real,& our souls go to a real place.There will be many who will bring up the fact that Jesus was talking about an old testament concept of "sheol" (hades in the Greek) & this can mean simply "the grave",but look at what Jesus actually says happens.There are other judgments coming,2 in particular are the great white throne where the lost are judged by their works,& a judgement of the saints by Jesus,where the works themselves will be judged.In the sheep & goats judgement,Jesus says this in Matthew 25:

41“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Notice the word eternal.Look at what is written in Isaiah 66:

22“As the new heavens and the new earth that I make will endure before me,” declares the LORD, “so will your name and descendants endure. 23From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come and bow down before me,” says the LORD. 24“And they will go out and look upon the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; their worm will not die, nor will their fire be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind.

Where it says "dead bodies" in verse 24,it is speaking of bodies only,but the phrase "where the worm never dies" is referring to a consciousness & a conscience that is fully aware of it's suffering.Eternal consciousness of suffering in hell for the unbeliever is quite well documented in scripture,& these are but a few references.

Notice where it says in Matthew 25:41 "prepared for the devil & his angels"?What that is saying is that salvation has been made available to all mankind,& all who will be saved will hear the gospel.The eternal fire was never prepared for mankind,but most will choose just that.

They who have heard the gospel & refused it will be the ones who will be in the most torment.Look at what is said in Luke 12:

46The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the unbelievers.

47“That servant who knows his master’s will and does not get ready or does not do what his master wants will be beaten with many blows. 48But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked."

So if you have heard the gospel,please come to Christ today.Paul said in 2nd Corinthians 5:11 :

"Since, then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to persuade men. What we are is plain to God, and I hope it is also plain to your conscience."
As for what hell will be like,imagine having no air,no water,no food,no shield from the environment,no input from any of your senses.This is part of what it will be like to be eternally separated from God.That is what hell is.Eternal separation from God.If you do not want God in this life,you will not be able to change your mind in the next.I know that this is an extremely dark topic,& I can say that I wish that people did not choose separation from God.Please,don't be one of them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joveia

Christian
Feb 3, 2004
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Visit site
✟15,340.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is there one paticular belief in what hell is supposed to be or is it all theory. I'm asking becaue I've heard different beliefs in what hell is. I've heard the eternal hellfire and torment, I've also heard that some think hell is just being isolated away from God (aren't we separated from him already?). I've also heard that some believe there is no hell, which I'm not sure i like the idea of Hitler hanging out with mother Theresa lol. :o

I dont know how denominations differ between belief in hell, but any insight is good

Here are a couple of quotes I've found that I think could describe what hell is like: a place where people choose to go, but which is a place of suffering because of what eternal existence is like without God.

This is a summary of a Twilight Zone episode called 'A Nice Place to Visit':

"A two-bit thug, shot to death by the police, wakes up on the far side. Given his life of crime, he is puzzled to find himself in what he takes to be heaven: a penthouse of Pascalian divertissement has been provided for him in which he can sate his every sensuous appetite. The supply of booze and broads is endless, and he can't lose at the gaming tables. But soon enough our man tires of the 'good life' and heads for the door — which is locked. Turning to his host, the thug complains that he'd rather be in the other place. "This is the other place!" the host demonically laughs."

This is a quote from a science fiction novel 'Permutation City' where the author, Greg Egan, imagined what it would be like being able to live forever and ever and do whatever you wanted. It's seen through the eyes of someone called 'Peer' who has, at this point, been living for a long, long time:

"The workshop abutted a warehouse full of table legs – one hundred and sixty-two thousand, three hundred and twenty-nine, so far. Peer could imagine nothing more satisfying than reaching the two hundred thousand mark – although he knew it was likely that he'd change his mind and abandon the workshop before that happened; new vocations were imposed by his exoself at random intervals, but statistically, the next one was overdue. Immediately before taking up woodwork, he'd passionately devoured all the higher mathematics texts in the central library, run all the tutorial software, and then personally contributed several important new results to group theory – untroubled by the fact that none of the Elysian mathematicians would ever be aware of his work. Before that, he'd written over three hundred comic operas, with librettos in Italian, French and English – and staged most of them, with puppet performers and audience. Before that, he'd patiently studied the structure and biochemistry of the human brain for sixty-seven years; towards the end he had fully grasped, to his own satisfaction, the nature of the process of consciousness. Every one of these pursuits had been utterly engrossing, and satisfying, at the time. He'd even been interested in the Elysians, once. No longer. He preferred to think about table legs."

I think these two quotes capture something of what hell is.

Upvote 0

silence_dogood

Apr 26, 2010
✟2,144.00
Faith
Calvinist
Is there one paticular belief in what hell is supposed to be or is it all theory. I'm asking becaue I've heard different beliefs in what hell is. I've heard the eternal hellfire and torment, I've also heard that some think hell is just being isolated away from God (aren't we separated from him already?). I've also heard that some believe there is no hell, which I'm not sure i like the idea of Hitler hanging out with mother Theresa lol. :o

I dont know how denominations differ between belief in hell, but any insight is good

There is only what the Bible says. If anyone disagrees with that, then they're going against the Word of God. Anyone who tells you that Hell is not eternal or that the wicked in Hell do not suffer eternally or are "annihilated" is a heretic and is preaching something that is grossly Unbiblical. Here is what the Bible tells us about Hell:

1. Those sentenced to Hell suffer consciously: Matt. 13:41-42; Matt. 13:50.

2. They are cast into a tormenting fire: Rev. 14:9-11; Rev. 21:8.

3. Hell's fire is unquenchable: Matt. 3:12

4. It is an eternal fire: Matt. 25:41; Jude 7

Upvote 0

silence_dogood

Apr 26, 2010
✟2,144.00
Faith
Calvinist
Here are a couple of quotes I've found that I think could describe what hell is like: a place where people choose to go, but which is a place of suffering because of what eternal existence is like without God.

This is a summary of a Twilight Zone episode called 'A Nice Place to Visit':

"A two-bit thug, shot to death by the police, wakes up on the far side. Given his life of crime, he is puzzled to find himself in what he takes to be heaven: a penthouse of Pascalian divertissement has been provided for him in which he can sate his every sensuous appetite. The supply of booze and broads is endless, and he can't lose at the gaming tables. But soon enough our man tires of the 'good life' and heads for the door — which is locked. Turning to his host, the thug complains that he'd rather be in the other place. "This is the other place!" the host demonically laughs."

This is a quote from a science fiction novel 'Permutation City' where the author, Greg Egan, imagined what it would be like being able to live forever and ever and do whatever you wanted. It's seen through the eyes of someone called 'Peer' who has, at this point, been living for a long, long time:

"The workshop abutted a warehouse full of table legs – one hundred and sixty-two thousand, three hundred and twenty-nine, so far. Peer could imagine nothing more satisfying than reaching the two hundred thousand mark – although he knew it was likely that he'd change his mind and abandon the workshop before that happened; new vocations were imposed by his exoself at random intervals, but statistically, the next one was overdue. Immediately before taking up woodwork, he'd passionately devoured all the higher mathematics texts in the central library, run all the tutorial software, and then personally contributed several important new results to group theory – untroubled by the fact that none of the Elysian mathematicians would ever be aware of his work. Before that, he'd written over three hundred comic operas, with librettos in Italian, French and English – and staged most of them, with puppet performers and audience. Before that, he'd patiently studied the structure and biochemistry of the human brain for sixty-seven years; towards the end he had fully grasped, to his own satisfaction, the nature of the process of consciousness. Every one of these pursuits had been utterly engrossing, and satisfying, at the time. He'd even been interested in the Elysians, once. No longer. He preferred to think about table legs."

I think these two quotes capture something of what hell is.

I'm sorry, but what verse is that again?

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟175,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a mod, but I get really tired of seeing the rules broken on this board every time I peek in threads. I can't wait all of the appropriate seconds it would take to report everyone violating the forum rules here. You lot can read as well as I can.

See below:

Debate
This forum is for discussion of questions with non-Christians. There are some areas of theology in which different Christians may believe differently.
In these cases, we would ask Christians to refrain from debating the matter here. You may point out that there is a differing viewpoint, but please do not use this forum to debate with other Christians. If Christians wish to discuss various doctrines with other Christians, they should do so in the Theology forums.

Upvote 0

RediGrace

May 24, 2010
New Jersey
✟7,617.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm not a mod, but I get really tired of seeing the rules broken on this board every time I peek in threads. I can't wait all of the appropriate seconds it would take to report everyone violating the forum rules here. You lot can read as well as I can.

See below:

Debate
This forum is for discussion of questions with non-Christians. There are some areas of theology in which different Christians may believe differently.
In these cases, we would ask Christians to refrain from debating the matter here. You may point out that there is a differing viewpoint, but please do not use this forum to debate with other Christians. If Christians wish to discuss various doctrines with other Christians, they should do so in the Theology forums.

Being as how i was simply asking about the DIFFERENT beliefs and not debating i don't see how the "rules" were broken. If two people decide to bicker, that's not my problem since it was never my intention. I didn't ask which belief is 'right" I ask what are the different thoughts out there, even some non-christians believe in hell.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟175,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Being as how i was simply asking about the DIFFERENT beliefs and not debating i don't see how the "rules" were broken. If two people decide to bicker, that's not my problem since it was never my intention. I didn't ask which belief is 'right" I ask what are the different thoughts out there, even some non-christians believe in hell.

I wasn't talking to you. The violators are the people (read Christians) debating each other in this thread, hence the reason I quoted the pertinent part of the rules. They are not to quote each other and tell each how wrong they think they all are. They are only to respond to your OP and your subsequent questions (if you have any). Actually, you're the only one people should be responding to.

Upvote 0