What is God's Will for Believers, exactly?

Kingsilly

Sep 3, 2020
California
✟9,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This is something that I am very confused about as I was reading through Matthew chapter 7. It talks about how only those who know and do God's will can go to heaven. I was like 'Cool', but then I don't know what God's will is? To be fair, I have heard from different people what they think 'God's will' is, but I hear different answers each time. I was thinking, if God is a single entity, the creator, then wouldn't he have one purpose/will that he is working for? I am really confused @~@. If anyone has any insights on this topic that would be greatly appreciated!!

hluke

Jul 28, 2020
Melbourne
✟22,274.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
  • Working for God.
  • Putting Jesus first in everything.
  • Obeying what the bible tells us, and the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
These are some things that come to mind for me.

But when we use language such as "it wasn't God's will", or "maybe it was God's will that I moved away from Sydney", these give recognition to the divine sovereignty of God, and aren't necessarily in line with God's purpose because we also have free-will...

I think the three dot points are a starting point to doing God's will.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,055,146.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is something that I am very confused about as I was reading through Matthew chapter 7. It talks about how only those who know and do God's will can go to heaven. I was like 'Cool', but then I don't know what God's will is? To be fair, I have heard from different people what they think 'God's will' is, but I hear different answers each time. I was thinking, if God is a single entity, the creator, then wouldn't he have one purpose/will that he is working for? I am really confused @~@. If anyone has any insights on this topic that would be greatly appreciated!!

In the Bible, God's will seems to be about being rather than doing.
John 6:29 - the work of God is to believe in the One that he has sent.
John 6:40 - my Father's will is that everyone who believes in the Son has eternal life
1 Thessalonians 4:3 - it is God's will that you should be holy.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 - rejoice always, pray continuously, give thanks in all circumstances. This is God's will for you.

I've spent many years hearing, and being told, "you need to find God's will", or "you need to know if X is God's will for you". While I have no doubt at all that God can lead people to certain jobs/careers, and give them the skills for them, I'm not sure I any longer believe that God is going to be terribly upset with me for being a nurse when he wanted me to be a teacher - for example.
I just feel that wherever we are and whatever we're doing, we need to live for him, be salt and light and be ready to explain, or testify to, our faith. I feel that his will is for us to be who he made us to be - and above all, he made us to know him, our Creator, and become his child.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
God has a plan and purpose for everyone. His primary purpose is stated in His word.
Ephesians 1:9-11
"And He has made known to us the mystery of His will according to His good pleasure, which He purposed in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to bring all things in heaven and on earth together in Christ. In Him we were also chosen as God’s own, having been predestined according to the plan of Him who works out everything by the counsel of His will,…"

The Christian is called to cooperate with God to bring God's purpose to pass. The reason it's taking so long is simple. Not nearly enough Christians are devoted to God's plan and purpose, either as individuals or as members of the body of Christ.

If you want to know if something is of God or not, those verses in Ephesians are a good test. And it starts with you. Is Jesus your Lord? Is the will of God first and foremost in your heart? Or are you the one in control of your life? There are no conscripts in God's kingdom. Many are called. The chosen are those who answer the call.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,055,146.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the thoughts of the king are superior nobody can get

His thoughts are higher than our thoughts, certainly. but Paul says that we have the mind of Christ, 1 Corinthians 2:16.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God's purpose for you is to glorify Him in all you think, say, and do. But this comes from recognizing God's hand everywhere present in your life including your faith and repentance. You cannot give him credit if you think you did it. That is the sad case with many today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Have you ever heard anyone use the term "being in the center of His will?" This is referring to Christ-likeness. God's will is for us to come to the knowledge of the truth (salvation) and to become like Christ. And so we shall at the resurrection, but until then we are a work in progress. Theologians call it our sanctification process.

Being in the "center of God's will" is not perfection, it's having no known sin in ones life. Easier said than done but very much possible.

Once a person accepts Christ as Saviour, the Holy Spirit begins this process of carrying out the will of the Father in our lives. He does this based solely on the principle of our faith in Christ, what He has done for us on the Cross.

I can't say that I'm in the center of His will, but there is hope for all of us. It is my goal in this life.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,055,146.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
still we are the body of christ not the head (the mind)

Yes we are.
Yet Scripture still says that we have the mind of Christ. We are able to know his will, know what pleases him and what he wants.

• Agree
Reactions: Sunshinee777
Upvote 0