What is God's Will for Believers, exactly?

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is something that I am very confused about as I was reading through Matthew chapter 7. It talks about how only those who know and do God's will can go to heaven. I was like 'Cool', but then I don't know what God's will is? To be fair, I have heard from different people what they think 'God's will' is, but I hear different answers each time. I was thinking, if God is a single entity, the creator, then wouldn't he have one purpose/will that he is working for? I am really confused @~@. If anyone has any insights on this topic that would be greatly appreciated!!

Micah 6:8
Berean Study Bible
He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you but to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

• Winner
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Kingsilly

Sep 3, 2020
California
✟9,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Love the Lord our God with all out heart, mind, soul and strength and love our neighbor our self.

I guess that sums up the Law of Moses in the OT but for me saying I love him doesn't seem genuine. For me, I could say 'I love you' to my parents but in the end if that all I do, it just sounds like lip service and I wouldn't think they would appreciate those words alone. I think what I am asking if there are specific actions one needs to take in order to enter heaven?

The worship of God is to not stunt the growth of the fellow adopted widows and orphans in Father's firm.

The praise of God is to show Him we know He is the One to go shopping from, for our peers and our country, without ceasing and without price.
I apologize, do you mind elaborating? I don't think I understood your message

Upvote 0

Kingsilly

Sep 3, 2020
California
✟9,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In the Bible, God's will seems to be about being rather than doing.
John 6:29 - the work of God is to believe in the One that he has sent.
John 6:40 - my Father's will is that everyone who believes in the Son has eternal life
1 Thessalonians 4:3 - it is God's will that you should be holy.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 - rejoice always, pray continuously, give thanks in all circumstances. This is God's will for you.

I've spent many years hearing, and being told, "you need to find God's will", or "you need to know if X is God's will for you". While I have no doubt at all that God can lead people to certain jobs/careers, and give them the skills for them, I'm not sure I any longer believe that God is going to be terribly upset with me for being a nurse when he wanted me to be a teacher - for example.
I just feel that wherever we are and whatever we're doing, we need to live for him, be salt and light and be ready to explain, or testify to, our faith. I feel that his will is for us to be who he made us to be - and above all, he made us to know him, our Creator, and become his child.

Thank you for the references, that gives a bit more insight. You touched upon another aspect of God leading us to specific careers. That confused me as well because I have had friends where they said 'It must be God's will that I got this job' but then when they got fired or layed off from the job, they turned around and said it wasn't God's will for them. Is our God one who changes his mind often? It makes me wonder if that was God's will, or somebody misunderstanding their personal will as God's will. That's the scary thing to me and the reason why I am seeking a more objective measurement of faith other than my feelings, since my feelings are constantly changing.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,971.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the references, that gives a bit more insight. You touched upon another aspect of God leading us to specific careers. That confused me as well because I have had friends where they said 'It must be God's will that I got this job' but then when they got fired or layed off from the job, they turned around and said it wasn't God's will for them. Is our God one who changes his mind often? It makes me wonder if that was God's will, or somebody misunderstanding their personal will as God's will. That's the scary thing to me and the reason why I am seeking a more objective measurement of faith other than my feelings, since my feelings are constantly changing.

I know; I've found it very confusing as well at times.

When I was at teacher training college, Christians said to me, "if it wasn't God's will then you wouldn't be here". That made me feel very guilty when I wanted to leave because I hated teaching - they then said that doing God's will was sometimes hard and we couldn't give up.
When I applied for a job as church pastoral worker it was very clear that God was leading me to apply. I didn't know how I would do the job, because I had M.E and was not able to work, but I couldn't deny what he was saying.
My feeling now is that if God tells me he wants me to be a a certain place/do a certain job, then he will give me clear guidance and assurance. Then when the going gets tough, I can hang on to the fact that I KNOW he called me to do it.

When I was attempting to go for ordination, I was certain that he wanted me to do that - and eventually become a Minister. Yet it didn't work out (long story.) Eventually my aunt (non Christian) said to me that maybe the journey was more important than the end result - and it's true that I read books, met people and did things that I wouldn't otherwise have done had I not been seeking ordination. maybe it was those things that were important for my faith and personal growth, and not the end result of being ordained? (Which actually I wouldn't do now, no matter how much you paid me.)

My position now is that I don't have a job, but volunteer pretty much full time - and I just try to go about doing what I want/feel he leads me to do, while being his child, living for him, reflecting his light, being salt and light to those around me, and taking every opportunity that he gives me to speak for him.

Discovering the gifts he has given and then using them in his service to glorify him is his will - but Paul does also say Whatever you do, do it for the Lord and not for men.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,971.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think what I am asking if there are specific actions one needs to take in order to enter heaven?

Believe in Jesus, trust that it is only his death on the cross that reconciles us to God and gives us eternal life, and not any works, or goodness of our own, and be born again, John 3:3. :) We cannot save ourselves, only Jesus can do that.

I've found that the more I reflect on his love, mercy and many blessings the greater my love for him, and my desire to serve him, becomes.
There is nothing we can do to make God love us more, and there is nothing we can do to make him love us less. I am becoming more certain (though I waver sometimes) that God wants us to rejoice in his love and feel free to serve him, rather than constantly fearful that we may be doing the "wrong" thing. If we ask him to guide us, he will. And if we are doing something that he really doesn't want, he will lead us, Psalms 23:3, John 10:27.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Some here do not like it when I say it, but Jesus clearly pointed out in Matthew that many will call him 'Lord", but he will turn to some of them and tell them that he never knew them and that they should go to the Devil and his company. Why? Jesus clearly explained that those who are selfish and do not help others in need will not make it to Heaven.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟439,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is something that I am very confused about as I was reading through Matthew chapter 7. It talks about how only those who know and do God's will can go to heaven. I was like 'Cool', but then I don't know what God's will is? To be fair, I have heard from different people what they think 'God's will' is, but I hear different answers each time. I was thinking, if God is a single entity, the creator, then wouldn't he have one purpose/will that he is working for? I am really confused @~@. If anyone has any insights on this topic that would be greatly appreciated!!

To know, love, and serve God in this world and to be happy with Him forever in the next.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Ecclesiastes 12:13 KJV "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."

One pastor explained God's endgame was bringing mankind into deep fellowship with Him like the members of the Trinity are all unified and work together. I lean towards this view.

It may have been John Piper who claimed man's ultimate purpose was to bring God glory. Don't quote me though. This is an appealing view whoever said it.

I heard another pastor recently who didn't claim worship was our purpose but made a convincing statement about how our worship is the best kind of offering God is looking for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God's will is very broad, he has a different plan for different people. The bible tells us:

Ecc 7:16-17 Be not given overmuch to righteousness and be not over-wise. Why let destruction come on you? Be not evil overmuch, and be not foolish. Why come to your end before your time?

This verse tells us not to try to be perfectly righteous, for you will end up destroying your life. But not to be evil for you will die before your time.

To me, this tells me that I should try to enjoy my life, to enjoy the life that God has given me, to not give up entertainments; while still diligently seeking after God in prayer at some point in the day. To allow Him by His grace to minister to others. To not force me into a spiritual cave so to speak. I believe that currently, that is God's will for me.

For you, it could look the same or different. But it is not fearful. For the joy of the LORD will be your strength.

Neh 8:10 Then he said to them, Go away now, and take the fat for your food and the sweet for your drink, and send some to him for whom nothing is made ready: for this day is holy to our Lord: and let there be no grief in your hearts; for the joy of the Lord is your strong place.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
God wills himself. God wills us. God Wills his kingdom which is himself and his others which are us. God Wills our freedom and his freedom together.

God's will might be hard to fathom if he wills our very existence. Even morality becomes a personal spiritual reality if God Wills each of our personalities. We are each a unique microcosm sharing a limited objective reality. God's Will and our own spirits are a fundamental reality which is why the law of its own, in its crude and blind form given to a dead world, can never be the fullness of the truth. That is one reason that Christ is the Fulfillment of the law, just like all those in him are.

Upvote 0

Joni Steele

Oct 30, 2020
Western Indiana
✟18,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Pray to God daily that He reveal to you His plan for your life. Love others, be salt and light, share the Good News of Salvation through the shed blood of Jesus Christ. It is a Joy to be in obedience to the will of God. It is not a burden. "His burden is light".

Upvote 0

marc b

Nov 2, 2020
Ottawa, Ontario
✟18,046.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've been pondering this question for quite awhile too. Until I began to realize maybe the reason God does not clearly tells us is coz we'd grab it and run away with it and end up doing it on our own.

I think God prefers we do it out of our relationship with Him, walking and listening to his leading all the time. It's being with Him that matters, constantly putting self aside and deferring/referring to him in everything we do. He is probably jealous of our presence, our time, our thoughts, and our desires, I guess.

So maybe it's not about doing great works for him, but doing great things with him (and in him). So that everything we do proceeds from him (after all, those who are led by the spirit are the sons of God). So maybe it's not the doing but the being while mucking around that is important.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

We don't get our purpose from people but from God. He will tell you. Blessings!

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Bible Hub has good search features. Search for "the will of God" and you will find many references that will help you.

Upvote 0