• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

What is Gods will for aspies?

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why has God ordained that some people lead lifes free of suffering whilst others are ordained to lead their entire lives as a struggle?

I know about Gods sovereignity....i have studied it but....thats not fair?
Sorry to burst your bubble, but everyone struggles. Some appear to struggle more than others, but how do you measure another person's internal pain? How can you tell how close to 'more than they can handle' any person is at any given moment. Do you know what the family of suicide victims almost always says ... why didn't they say anything?

Trust me, you don't want "fair". You say you studied God's Sovereignty, so you know the answer to "fair". We should all have cancer and we should all have leprosy and we should all look and feel on the outside the way we are on the inside without God's restraining Grace. I am grateful for every drop of MERCY that God chooses to grant.

OK, let's talk. I have Asperger's. We are different, but we are not as different as you think. Reality check, everyone feels what we feel ... we just feel some parts more than average and some parts less than average. Your negative attitude is probably your greatest obstacle to making friends and interacting socially. However, the game has rules and the rules can be learned. Yes, it will be harder for some (like us) than it is for others. Welcome to life. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. A weakness doesn't make a goal impossible, it just requires more effort.

Second reality check, Asperger's didn't prevent me from sinning. I still managed to become an arsonist and a gang member and a drug smuggler. It didn't prevent God from reaching me with the gospel, or Jesus Christ from forgiving my sins. College took 10 years, three majors and two degrees to figure out, but in the end, I learned more useful life skills working as a Fish Monger to pay for college. I learned to work with people and talk with customers. I can also fillet any fish you can provide. :)

Here's a secret. Those hard times make us stronger and shape our character. If I had a chance to live my life over, I would not change my mistakes. They became part of my strength and form the tools that God has given me to communicate with some that others could not reach.

There is a stupid poem about 'today being the first day of the rest of your life'. It is sort of true, but it is not that easy. Let me share a version that I keep on my wall:

"IF ONE ADVANCES CONFIDENTLY IN THE DIRECTION OF HIS DREAMS, AND ENDEAVORS TO LIVE THE LIFE WHICH HE HAS IMAGINED, HE WILL MEET WITH A SUCCESS UNEXPECTED IN COMMON HOURS."
-THOREAU

You will need to think about it for a while to really unlock the secret of what he is telling us.
My advice is you should dare to imagine a better future in THIS life.
Then answer this question: How much do you want it?

You might find these helpful:
Introducing the Social Briefing | The Art of Manliness

Social Skills 101: Are Your Old Patterns of Behavior Still Working? | The Art of Manliness

Social Skills 101: Do Others See You Differently Than You See Yourself?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OneOfTheMany

Jan 21, 2007
✟8,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've been away from these forums for a few years... and found this thread on my return this evening....

To all you who are saying "Breaking news: life isn't fair"... or "Just give it up to God" or "Just put your faith in God"... honestly that does zero good.

I'm just speaking as a man who's had Aspergers my entire life, and it's really messed up. In a profound way. It's like going through life with rollerblades stuck on your feet. Every waking moment is a weird balancing act where you never truly get a respite. And there's lots of losing control and falling on your face. And no matter how hard you try, you can't take those rollerblades off your feet.

The original poster is someone who is living life every day with this baffling conundrum, and seeking some answers. All the other posters seem to feel they 'are qualified' or have some potentially beneficial wisdom just because they are Christians, which is pretty sad.

Upvote 0