What is distinct from Judaism?

shturt678s

Dec 11, 2013
✟18,297.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Not possible, Old Jack. Only 70 weeks were determined or decreed to fulfil the six items mentioned in Dan 9:24:

1) Christ was anointed the Messiah at the beginning of the 70th week.

2) Christ ministers for 3.5 years, or one-half week, during which time he confirms the covenant with the house of Israel (Matt 15:24; Rom 15:8.)

3) Christ is cut-off (killed) in the middle (midst) of the 70th week.

4) The disciples take over his ministry (Matt 10:5-6; 10:40) and resume covenant confirmation to the house of Israel for the remaining one-half week (beginning shortly after Pentecost in Acts 3:25).

5) Cornelius is converted: the 70 weeks are fulfilled.

6) Desolations are determined (decreed) separately (Dan 9:26-27), and they occur about 35-40 years later, according to historical records.

:)

I do have to admit from the English way of looking at it, Dan.9:24, "70 weeks" looks attractive, however from the context of the ancient's way of looking at it, 70 heptads" (periods of time thus symbolic).

Dan.9:24a the 1st Coming of Jesus.
Dan.9:24b the 2nd Coming of Jesus.

Probably in error as from the least of the pecking order, ie, understand this verse then vs.25-27 a walk in the park.

Old Jack's opinion

Upvote 0

Rev20

Partial Preterist
Jun 16, 2014
✟13,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do have to admit from the English way of looking at it, Dan.9:24, "70 weeks" looks attractive, however from the context of the ancient's way of looking at it, 70 heptads" (periods of time thus symbolic).

Dan.9:24a the 1st Coming of Jesus.
Dan.9:24b the 2nd Coming of Jesus.

Probably in error as from the least of the pecking order, ie, understand this verse then vs.25-27 a walk in the park.

Old Jack's opinion

Old Jack, where can I find a resource for what you are referring to--for your interpretation of 9:24?

Thx

Upvote 0

shturt678s

Dec 11, 2013
✟18,297.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Old Jack, where can I find a resource for what you are referring to--for your interpretation of 9:24?

Thx

Decades ago before I could google up information I rendered over German works, and those in English, in sermons and commentaries from Martin Chemnitz (1560 or so) to Mathias Loy (1880s or so - before 1930ish for sure) and summarized each issue fine tuning till today.

I have or had nothing to contribute, only a dummy that brings these older outdated and unpopular works forward in summary. Sorry regarding trying to be more specific regarding source as unable except for example regarding the concept of the "Kingdom of God," I recall this came mostly from Chemnitz' Commentary (1560 or so) that is now on line in English...Gospel "elect" verses Epistle's "elect."

Old dummy Jack...take this to the bank...trying not to be so much of a dummy in my old age and milage.

Wait, do recall major source although agreeing to disagree to things in the majors at times...H.C. Leupold as rarely bring forth works after 1930 and he was later about 1949 or so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shturt678s

Dec 11, 2013
✟18,297.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
That's not how I recall Chemnitz, but I'll have to look it up.

The Reformation understanding is what produced the lyrics of Handel's MESSIAH. The Hallelujah Chorus is not at the end of time but after the resurrection.

You got it, ie, pre-modern Lutherans viewed Chemnitz' (Matt. chapter 20 or 22, been decades..sorry) viewed those in the Kingdom of God "inwardly" and those "outwardly" exactly verifiable today on google for anyone to see where the moderns view "inwardly" the same as "outwardly" exactly.

Old non-modern Jack's opinion

Handel's Messiah had to do with Jesus' resurrection and a future "1" general resurrection as been awhile if I recall correctly...time flys at my old age.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Interplanner

Aug 5, 2012
near Olympic National Park
✟12,847.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
sorry Jack, the sentence about the inwards and outwards says nothing I can make sense of.

re MESSIAH. Right, after the Hallelujah chorus starts the 3rd part. the first soon is "I know that my Redeemer liveth" and our future individual resurrection is the subject, and it ends with the 7 Amens after "Blessing and Honor and ..." from the Rev. But the Hallelujah is back after Christ's own resurrection because that is when the Reformation understood the kingdom of this world had become the kingdom of God and his Christ. It is that moral spiritual force that affected the west for years until recently due to secularism. Futurism doesn't help because something that is supposed to be future but has so many micro details to it (and inconclusive ones) has very little moral force.

How strange that the secular musicians do the best renditions of Handel sometimes...

Upvote 0

shturt678s

Dec 11, 2013
✟18,297.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
sorry Jack, the sentence about the inwards and outwards says nothing I can make sense of.

re MESSIAH. Right, after the Hallelujah chorus starts the 3rd part. the first soon is "I know that my Redeemer liveth" and our future individual resurrection is the subject, and it ends with the 7 Amens after "Blessing and Honor and ..." from the Rev. But the Hallelujah is back after Christ's own resurrection because that is when the Reformation understood the kingdom of this world had become the kingdom of God and his Christ. It is that moral spiritual force that affected the west for years until recently due to secularism. Futurism doesn't help because something that is supposed to be future but has so many micro details to it (and inconclusive ones) has very little moral force.

How strange that the secular musicians do the best renditions of Handel sometimes...

Thank you for bringing me up to speed, ie, I consider the "Book of Common Prayer" as very important....my mother played piano and they tell me in Church to just mouth the music...not good.

Remember a little more with Mr. Chemnitz with Matt.22, see where he distinguishes exactly the visible church (in the Kingdom "outwardly") and exactly the invisible church (in the Kingdom "inwardly"), ie, modern Lutheran's doctrine of "election" which I'm adamantly against when they made the calling the same today along with about everyone else.

Old Jack's opinion,

Thank you again! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0