Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian
What Is Christian Love ... by Susie Arviso
August 30, 2014 at 8:05pm
10666057_10204341282989800_6924483744130337235_n.jpg
Just as a chain is as strong as it's weakest link, Christian brotherly love is as effective and genuine as the Christian's relationship with Christ and degree of spiritual maturity; the quality of relationship they have with Jesus. (1 John 4:7-8) If the relationship with Him is weak, the love exuded from the individual will be also.

In the scriptures (1 Cor. 13:1-13) defines love in it's purest form. It's been referred to as "agape" love (or God's love). This caliper of love operates on principle rather than emotions, moods or partiality.
It is genuine and sincere. It may include emotions or feelings, but it doesn't need them in order to function.

Common, brotherly love on the other hand (man's love for man) is limited and subject to error and failure. The reason is because man himself is limited and subject to error and failure. Nevertheless, when a human being experiences God's unbiased and unadulterated love poured out to him or her, he or she - now has the ability to extend this love to others.

Without this love, the best a person can do, is to use their own understanding of what love is. What that understanding is, can vary from one person to the next.
It's not uncommon for brotherly love to be tainted or affected to some degree by selfishness; bias, neediness, manipulation, control, greed, hidden agendas, etc... depending on the individual and their condition of thinking and experience.

Just in watching TV shows like Judge Hatchett, we can see that people who used to be close or who purportedly "loved" each other, now seem to have contempt for each other, as they sue one another in court. This is part of the errant, human nature. Humans tend to base their love on feelings or conditions, or what the other person can provide and do for them.

On the other hand, when human beings connect with Christ in personal relationship and permit Him and His Word to affect and change them, the love that Christ pours into their lives begins to cause them to want to pour it out to others.

The definition of love in 1 Corinthians 13 states that love is patient and kind, it doesn't envy, nor is it jealous. It isn't boastful or proud.

It doesn't behave unbecomingly. It isn't self-seeking, it isn't suspicious or thinking the worst, nor is it easily provoked (insecure-sensitive). It doesn't take pleasure in wrong, it prefers truth and honesty. It bears, endures and hopes. It never fades or quits.

With this in mind, think about God. He doesn't just love, He IS love. (I John.4:8) Christians are well aware that God demonstrated His love by paying the ultimate sacrifice, by sending His Son to die for us. "If God so loved us, we ought also to love one another." (1 John 4:11)

We love one another by pouring out to others the same love that Christ pours into us. Then, we understand what love is. Then, God's passion becomes our passion.

Essentially, if we are loving others according to God's scriptural blueprint, it will be sincerely given, with no conditions.

Sometimes in loving our brother or neighbor, just bearing or enduring them and restraining ourselves from the urge to lose our tempers might be all we can do at the moment. This is still loving. Some people can be extremely difficult and push our buttons. Keeping control of our faculties and not retaliating, is an accomplishment of real, brotherly love.

In the 12th chapter of Romans, the apostle Paul is exhorting Christians to love one another. He said: "let your love be sincere." He goes on to say to "be "'kindly affectioned'" toward one another". The word "affectioned" comes from the Greek word "philostorgos", which means "to be prone to love", or to love tenderly in the sense of cherishing another, as family. Obviously, this godly love must be chosen and entered into, deliberately and purposefully. It must be practiced.

If a Christian has little desire to love others, something is wrong with their relationship with God. The love God has poured into our lives is meant to be passed on. God's love is volitional. Love must be exercised or practiced. We don't wait until we "feel" loving. We love despite our feelings.

The scriptures tell as that we are to owe no man anything, except love. (Rom.13:8)

Love isn't a feeling but an act of deliberate kindness, honor and preference. To become an expert at something, we practice. Love becomes sincere when we exercise it toward our brothers and sisters in Christ and to all others; regardless of how we feel.
When necessary, we must sacrifice and override any personal feelings or preferences, to accomplish this brotherly love.

Human beings commonly gravitate toward what is comfortable and preferable, by nature. This is why we see people who group up into clicks. Yet, genuine brotherly love will not allow itself to show favoritism. Instead, it will reach out to all. Love isn't partial. (1 Tim.5:21)

In 1 Peter (4:8), it says: "above all things have fervent love among yourselves, for love shall cover the multitude of sins." Many Christians are tempted to point out or broadcast the faults, weaknesses and errors of others. Yet the verse here is instructing us to "cover" it with love. That word "cover" here, means to "hide or hinder the knowledge of a thing." Love doesn't take pleasure in finding fault and pointing it out. It takes pleasure in covering it. We can give ourselves all kinds of reasons why we should point out another person's faults, but this approach is neither productive nor conducive to brotherly love. It is also almost never well-received.

Jesus said "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." He also said "Let he who has never sinned cast the first stone." This 4rth chapter of 1 Peter goes on to instruct Christians not to be a "busybodies in other people's matters."

God knows we all have enough problems, faults and weaknesses of our own. We know this too, if we are honest. Genuine and sincere godly love is sacrificial in general, because it lays down its' own life, desires and aspirations for the good of all.

Genuine love isn't self-centered, selfish or self-seeking. It doesn't love for it's own benefit, but for the best interest of others. It's not about "me" and what I want. If it is, it's because we haven't been vitally affected yet by our relationship with Christ. Drawing nearer for deeper relationship with Christ is volitional and requires effort on the individual's part.

Being a Christian ... is not belonging to a 'fan club' or going through the motions of what we perceive to be Christian living. Rather, it's being involved in vital and interactive relationship with Christ on a daily basis, hour by hour. Being a Christian isn't a 'title' we identify ourselves with. As Christians we represent Jesus to the world. The world is watching. This is what it means when the scripture says to "not take the name of the Lord in vain." If we don't know Him, if we are not truly involved with Him, then we will misrepresent Him and genuine love will elude us.

Love isn't envious or jealous. We aren't in competition with each other. Instead, we are a team, using our gifts and talents to work towards the goal of overcoming our faults and weaknesses through our experiences with Christ, and helping each other to accomplish the same. If we find ourselves feeling jealous or envious of another, this isn't love.

Love isn't boastful or proud. If we were honest, we would know that we have nothing to gloat about. We are all sinners - saved by the grace of God. We are exhorted to be humble, and not just in actions but genuinely, as well. One of the things the scriptures tell us God hates, is a "proud look". In other words, exuding arrogance and pride. Just before the description of genuine love in 1 Corinthians 13, we are told that nothing we accomplish or do means anything if it isn't borne out of love.

If love isn't the force that drives us, then what we do, means nothing. "Man looks on the outward appearance, but God looks on the heart". (1 Sam.16:7)

True and genuine love does not give up or quit. Feelings may want to take us in another direction sometimes, but genuine love will not go there. We may have to back off at times, or retreat to pray, but we do not give up on a person.

Many times it can seem that all our efforts and investments in another person-are in vain. Sometimes our love is not even acknowledged. I've even experienced some people actually getting offended at my attempts to love them. Yet love doesn't give up. Having grown up in an abusive home where rejection and ridicule were doled out in large doses, it became especially hard for me when my attempts at loving were rejected.

Yet, with some encouragement I'd get back up on the horse and keep trying. There is no fear in love. (1 John.4:18) It isn't easy when your hand is getting bitten off, or you are having to endure a person's distrust and resentment. Having experienced being hurt myself, I can understand and sympathize with a person in this condition. This helps me to be patient, and show understanding, which eventually quells the fire.

Genuinely loving others with God's love is not only productive, but it is worth all the sacrifice and effort, and one of of God's greatest commandments. The very act of practicing genuine, brotherly love not only has an affect on those we love, but the passion of it increases within us. (1 Jn. 4:12)

We are instructed to be like Jesus, better yet - to BE Jesus for others. (Matt.25;42-45) If we (who have received the love Christ poured out to us) cannot succeed at loving each other through practice, how do we expect to love at all?

"He that loves not, does not know God, for God is love." (1Jn.47-8)

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello TF!

No question, your points are persuasive, and your (hopefully) past dilemma of rejection at the time, may have been like that of Paul before Alexander (II Tim 4:14-16), even denied the support from other Christians who viewed the situation as a pointless exercise and fled. But Paul didn’t hold it against them that fled, in the end, after the evil rendered to him, only requested the Lord repay the abuser.

This resolve of Paul's didn’t sound quite like that of your specific determination to “love”. I think Paul, would still have commended your outlook, but in Paul’s effort to “become like” people to win them, would he persist to the bitter end till all they see is a challenge of endurance?

Please don’t mis-understand, we should rally your point. All I’m saying is there does come a point of “pearls”/”swine” protection of the quality of love we offer. If the item of “swine” the Lord brought up never existed, the full weight of your point would have no overlap to consider. But as it is, I see it a by-and-large everyday walk, and the way we on all issues should prefer.

Nice to meet you btw!!

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
When I read in 1 Corinthians 13,'What love is'. I am always challenged! If I put my name where it says love,I know I fall short of the divine standard. When I put God there or Jesus or the Holy Spirit,God's standard is there and because He lives in me,His love can flow through me! Hulleluyah!

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
'O love that wilt not let me go,I rest my weary soul in Thee. I give Thee back the life I owe,that in Thine ocean depths that flow may richer,fuller be' (George Matheson)

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
'O love that wilt not let me go,I rest my weary soul in Thee. I give Thee back the life I owe,that in Thine ocean depths that flow may richer,fuller be' (George Matheson)
this is a lovely old hymn! I like the harmonies, then again I like the Gaither band...

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Truefreedom56

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2016
USA
✟45,207.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is good advice from the Word of God,as to what 'Love is'. Thankyou for bringing it.'God is love,Jesus shows it' and so must we. Nice to see you,'true freedom'.

God Bless You and thanks, Quietbloke.

Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

Truefreedom56

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2016
USA
✟45,207.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello TF!

No question, your points are persuasive, and your (hopefully) past dilemma of rejection at the time, may have been like that of Paul before Alexander (II Tim 4:14-16), even denied the support from other Christians who viewed the situation as a pointless exercise and fled. But Paul didn’t hold it against them that fled, in the end, after the evil rendered to him, only requested the Lord repay the abuser.

This resolve of Paul's didn’t sound quite like that of your specific determination to “love”. I think Paul, would still have commended your outlook, but in Paul’s effort to “become like” people to win them, would he persist to the bitter end till all they see is a challenge of endurance?

Please don’t mis-understand, we should rally your point. All I’m saying is there does come a point of “pearls”/”swine” protection of the quality of love we offer. If the item of “swine” the Lord brought up never existed, the full weight of your point would have no overlap to consider. But as it is, I see it a by-and-large everyday walk, and the way we on all issues should prefer.

Nice to meet you btw!!

I absolutely understand your point, rocknanchor. I agree. The scriptures tell us that God is love, but also that God's love is both "good and severe". When I studied that in the Strong's, it means that He is not JUST kind, gentle, merciful ... etc ... but He can be tough and stern as well. And I have experienced both sides. I used to think I was His hugest and worst "project".
I knew I was trying Him. He knows how to bring attitude adjustments and humbling.

I also noticed a pattern that whenever I started to veer off from the good path, coincidental and painful consequences began to happen as a direct result. It would cause me to repent and after a long period of this, I got to where even thinking about veering off the path would give me the willies. I knew I did not want to pay the cost, because it was usually painful and humiliating. I never made any spiritual progress until I was made to face and deal with my own weaknesses and faults, long enough to convince me that I do not wish to "go there" anymore.

I'm not saying I have arrived ... lol. But I have learned from the disciplines of the Lord, to avoid big trouble by staying close to Him and focused.

This has helped me to be able to counsel and help others. Sometimes we need to provoke a person out of their comfort zones or refuse to cater to their manipulative tactics. Sometimes we will have to let them get angry or lash out in order for them to make progress. People are very complex and I thank God for His wisdom and for the Holy Spirit.

Thanks again, rocknanchor

Reactions: rocknanchor
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Thankyou for sharing,'Truefreedom'

Absolutely, thank you Truefreedom for further elaboration! I hope I didn't seem to forward and without a bases to present. I look forward to seeing such soundness and lest I forget, ,

Welcome to the CF forums!! :)

Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0