Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christian morality consists of living one’s life with guidance and inspiration from the Christian scriptures and traditions. Christian ethics as an academic discipline uses these scriptures and traditions in developing and critiquing ethical norms and theories and applying them to ethical issues. Most Christian ethicists agree that the sources for doing ethics include revelation (scripture) and tradition, as well as human reason and experience.

Being shaped by Biblical revelation is the primary way that Christian ethics can be distinguished from alternative ethical perspectives, both religious and secular; thus one important question for a Christian ethicist is how morality (the practice) or ethics (ideas about the practice) depends on religion (convictions and commitments) or theology (critical discussion about those convictions and commitments).

Few people, whether religious or not, would deny an historical dependency; the great ethical teachers tended to be prophets or founders of religion, and for most of human history the influential ethical authorities tended to be religious authorities. Of course, atheists could cheerfully admit this historical point and then claim that, in western culture at least, the 18th century Enlightenment changed that dependency, encouraging ethicists to avoid religious or theological assumptions and, as Immanuel Kant famously put it in his essay “What is Enlightenment?” to dare to think for themselves.

Christian ethicists can affirm the need to think for one’s self but claim that such thinking reveals that ethics depends on theology in ways other than merely historical. One venerable view is the meta-ethical theory that ethics requires a theological foundation in order to avoid nihilism (no real values) or subjectivism (values are relative to each person). This claim has been developed in at least two different ways, the first being what is called “The divine command theory of ethics.” One version of this theory is to claim that only God’s will makes things right or wrong; it is sometimes stated as “X is good (or obligatory)” just means “God approves of (or demands) X.” Divine command theorists admit that, of course, atheists and others can use moral ideas without realizing their foundation; people can use a building, for example, without giving a thought to its foundation. Only when they start questioning will they see a need for a foundation.

Continued below.
What is Christian Ethics? | A Guide to Ethics

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Michie this 12th grade language throwing me for a loop.

Ethics, is like a moral principle?

Though it seems more inclined that the ethics, when reading the word of God combine with the spirit that God gives, which would make it spiritual ethics, that is happens when you are learning because of the spirit, that indwells a believer it seems.

For example: My will (Carnal mind) can still be selfish and hateful, with no prayer life for others: Reading the word of God; allowing God, and the Lord Jesus Christ perspective to be seen in a more clearer note, especially when getting to the letters we have from Paul and the others, the spirit that is given along combing in time to pray and give thanks to God changes my old original ideas of being carnally uncaring for people in their life.

To having the ability by the spirit to be unselfish, hateful, and to pray for others, and to be thankful even though sometimes my feelings can get in the way between the spirit because of the carnality of my flesh and the spirit always fighting against each other.

Thank you for the article.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Michie this 12th grade language throwing me for a loop.

Ethics, is like a moral principle?

Though it seems more inclined that the ethics, when reading the word of God combine with the spirit that God gives, which would make it spiritual ethics, that is happens when you are learning because of the spirit, that indwells a believer it seems.

For example: My will use to be selfish and hateful, with no prayer life for others: Reading the word of God; allowing God, and the Lord Jesus Christ perspective to be seen in a more clearer note, especially when getting to the letters we have from Paul and the others, the spirit that is given along combing in time to pray and give thanks to God changes my old original ideas of being carnally uncaring for people in their life.

To having the ability by the spirit to be unselfish, hateful, and to pray for others, and to be thankful even though sometimes my feelings can get in the way between the spirit because of the carnality of my flesh and the spirit always fighting against each other.

Thank you for the article.
My point is by posting this is that Christian ethics and philosophy means working within the Christian Faith while living in the world. One does not betray the foundations of the faith to operate within the world. It’s one thing to be somewhat critical of how others practice that but one cannot have their cake and eat it too. You work within realm of Christianity for it to be Christian ethics and philosophy. Not outside of it.

• Agree
Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

QvQ

Aug 18, 2019
AZ
✟102,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ethics, when first I was saved, were down and dirty, whatever worked or felt good. I had a superficial, smug and self righteous bag of "be nice" "care about the unfortunate (which I designated as being lesser than superiorly endowed self.) It was chaos and confusion, spur of the moment, situational ethics dictated by social, legal and selfish considerations.
Then I realized God whose respect I wanted. I wanted dignity in the eyes God. That meant I had to act in ways that were respectful of God. I had to have dignity not only in the eyes of God, but before men for all to see His Glory reflected in me. My ethics and my life became orderly, whole and coherent as before it was chaos and destructive.
He leads me in the path of righteousness for His name's sake.
Ethics does not define a relationship with other people. Ethics defines my relationship with God.
Each of us answers to God

(This is difficult to put into words so I may not be saying it correctly. So it is just my honest thoughts)

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For example: My will (Carnal mind) can still be selfish and hateful, with no prayer life for others: Reading the word of God; allowing God, and the Lord Jesus Christ perspective to be seen in a more clearer note, especially when getting to the letters we have from Paul and the others, the spirit that is given along combing in time to pray and give thanks to God changes my old original ideas of being carnally uncaring for people in their life.
And . . .
Then I realized God whose respect I wanted. I wanted dignity in the eyes God. That meant I had to act in ways that were respectful of God. I had to have dignity not only in the eyes of God, but before men for all to see His Glory reflected in me. My ethics and my life became orderly, whole and coherent as before it was chaos and destructive.
I think of this > desiring to please God and caring about others can feed me to want morals for a good reason.

But I used to be mainly trying to get my own self to Heaven, by doing religious things I thought I was told to do. But I had no clue how to feel for others. Plus, I did not have hope for wrong people, and I could be very quick to be critical of wrong people and ones suffering because of their own wrongs.

But Jesus has compassion even for wrong people. So, for us in Jesus I would say our ethics need to include compassion with hope for wrong people. And forgiveness is important, as a principle, I suppose you could say :) And there are other things the Bible teaches, which are not commonly taught as moral and ethical principles > including >

"Do all things without complaining and disputing," (Philippians 2:14)

"Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice," (Ephesians 4:31)

"swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath" (in James 1:19-20)

• Agree
Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ethics, when first I was saved, were down and dirty, whatever worked or felt good. I had a superficial, smug and self righteous bag of "be nice" "care about the unfortunate (which I designated as being lesser than superiorly endowed self.) It was chaos and confusion, spur of the moment, situational ethics dictated by social, legal and selfish considerations.
He leads me in the path of righteousness for His name's sake.
Ethics does not define a relationship with other people. Ethics defines my relationship with God.
Each of us answers to God

(This is difficult to put into words so I may not be saying it correctly. So it is just my honest thoughts)

Much rather for you to be honest in how you see it by your own perspective by looking towards God and thank you for sharing what you do see! Seems God change us completely around from our destructive selves.

And . . .I think of this > desiring to please God and caring about others can feed me to want morals for a good reason.

But I used to be mainly trying to get my own self to Heaven, by doing religious things I thought I was told to do. But I had no clue how to feel for others. Plus, I did not have hope for wrong people, and I could be very quick to be critical of wrong people and ones suffering because of their own wrongs.

But Jesus has compassion even for wrong people. So, for us in Jesus I would say our ethics need to include compassion with hope for wrong people. And forgiveness is important, as a principle, I suppose you could say :) And there are other things the Bible teaches, which are not commonly taught as moral and ethical principles > including >

"Do all things without complaining and disputing," (Philippians 2:14)

"Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice," (Ephesians 4:31)

"swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath" (in James 1:19-20)

It's good when we are self-reflective and try to find out what the truth is about what Gods perspective is, rather than our own perspective that is almost inherently always wrong, with out the spirit leading in our life.

You are right about when you say Jesus Christ even had compassion for wrong people, 'forgive them they know what they do' comes to my mind. When you speak about the want for others to have the truth that we find in God, and the Lord Jesus Christ it is the same desire from me to however we can not force any agenda on anyone to try to get them to change. All we can do is give the truth by the spirit, and if they accept it, or reject it, it is up to them.

Those scriptures you share here are wonderful, and true! By the spirit are we able to have these abilities with-in us as believers as we continue to be in relationship with our Creator, and Lord Jesus Christ.

Sometimes it feels very lonely in this world to me.
Sometimes we will feel angry if we get jaded, or something unexpected arises or happens, just don't sleep on it, or curse anyone.

Thank you for sharing what you find to be true from your own perspective by looking towards God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christian ethics are certainly Bible-dependent but there's more to it than that. One of the great divides in ethical systems is whether the system is agent-focused or command-focused. Is it about what you do, or who you are. Christian ethics heavily fall to the agent-focused side because ethics in Christianity are entirely revealed in the person of Jesus Christ. He is what it means to live ethically, not merely a teacher of ethics as other religious teachers were. This establishes a morality that is objective in its positions, yet subjective in its apprehension. Failing to recognize Jesus for who He is, it is entirely possible to build a Bible-based ethical position that is not properly a Christian ethic

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christian ethics are certainly Bible-dependent but there's more to it than that. One of the great divides in ethical systems is whether the system is agent-focused or command-focused. Is it about what you do, or who you are. Christian ethics heavily fall to the agent-focused side because ethics in Christianity are entirely revealed in the person of Jesus Christ. He is what it means to live ethically, not merely a teacher of ethics as other religious teachers were. This establishes a morality that is objective in its positions, yet subjective in its apprehension. Failing to recognize Jesus for who He is, it is entirely possible to build a Bible-based ethical position that is not properly a Christian ethic

Those are goods point, brother Fervent, but you might provide an example of someone who you think offers a Bible-based ethical position but is not properly Christian. Can you think of one?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christian morality consists of living one’s life with guidance and inspiration from the Christian scriptures and traditions. Christian ethics as an academic discipline uses these scriptures and traditions in developing and critiquing ethical norms and theories and applying them to ethical issues. Most Christian ethicists agree that the sources for doing ethics include revelation (scripture) and tradition, as well as human reason and experience.

Being shaped by Biblical revelation is the primary way that Christian ethics can be distinguished from alternative ethical perspectives, both religious and secular; thus one important question for a Christian ethicist is how morality (the practice) or ethics (ideas about the practice) depends on religion (convictions and commitments) or theology (critical discussion about those convictions and commitments).

Few people, whether religious or not, would deny an historical dependency; the great ethical teachers tended to be prophets or founders of religion, and for most of human history the influential ethical authorities tended to be religious authorities. Of course, atheists could cheerfully admit this historical point and then claim that, in western culture at least, the 18th century Enlightenment changed that dependency, encouraging ethicists to avoid religious or theological assumptions and, as Immanuel Kant famously put it in his essay “What is Enlightenment?” to dare to think for themselves.

Christian ethicists can affirm the need to think for one’s self but claim that such thinking reveals that ethics depends on theology in ways other than merely historical. One venerable view is the meta-ethical theory that ethics requires a theological foundation in order to avoid nihilism (no real values) or subjectivism (values are relative to each person). This claim has been developed in at least two different ways, the first being what is called “The divine command theory of ethics.” One version of this theory is to claim that only God’s will makes things right or wrong; it is sometimes stated as “X is good (or obligatory)” just means “God approves of (or demands) X.” Divine command theorists admit that, of course, atheists and others can use moral ideas without realizing their foundation; people can use a building, for example, without giving a thought to its foundation. Only when they start questioning will they see a need for a foundation.

Continued below.
What is Christian Ethics? | A Guide to Ethics

This is one way to think of how a Christian can do Ethics, but rather than saying that Ethics (or even Philosophy on the whole) has to be 'dependent' upon the Bible, I'd rather say that it instead involves a serious engagement and challenge at some point by the Bible.

So, one could start out by working with a few Kantian assumptions, for instance, or even working as an Existentialist, but at some point the divide between non-Christian Ethics and Christian Ethics comes in determining whether or not the Bible is admitted into the overall Axiological project and to what extent it is admitted ( with Axiology being the field of Philosophy that incorporates Ethics and Values, along with human Aesthetics).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those are goods point, brother Fervent, but you might provide an example of someone who you think offers a Bible-based ethical position but is not properly Christian. Can you think of one?
If I'm going to name individuals, Fred Phelps is the only one that immediately comes to mind. Though I feel somewhat uneasy naming individuals so I offer him merely as a possibility.

• Useful
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If I'm going to name individuals, Fred Phelps is the only one that immediately comes to mind. Though I feel somewhat uneasy naming individuals so I offer him merely as a possibility.

... well, I asked for an example, and you definitely provided one. ;) Thanks for doing that!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

QvQ

Aug 18, 2019
AZ
✟102,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When the question is asked, who displays ethical behavior, many examples come to mind, many of them centuries old. St. Francis is one but I can't name a secular figure who exemplifies the same moral stability.
Ethics without God lacks foundation. There is an ethical standard that transcends time and culture but historically, it is always men and women of God.

• Winner
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are right about when you say Jesus Christ even had compassion for wrong people, 'forgive them they know what they do' comes to my mind.
You might want to edit this to say,

'forgive them they do not know what they do'

I understand your good point, though. Thanks :)

Sometimes we will feel angry if we get jaded, or something unexpected arises or happens, just don't sleep on it, or curse anyone.
amen . . . very good . . . thank you :)

"swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God." (in James 1:19-20)

Upvote 0

Yoko.52

Dec 4, 2020
Chicago
✟9,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here is your ethics, Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself

As for who your neighbor is look at the below parable

Luke 10:25-37
New International Version

The Parable of the Good Samaritan
25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”

28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

You can not break any of gods laws if you follow the two most important...love god...love your neighbor....there's your ethics

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here is your ethics, Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself

As for who your neighbor is look at the below parable

Luke 10:25-37
New International Version

The Parable of the Good Samaritan
25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”

28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

You can not break any of gods laws if you follow the two most important...love god...love your neighbor....there's your ethics
Loving God means following His teachings. The rest naturally follows. You cannot do it in any meaningful way otherwise. It does not mean advocating or agreeing with anything outside of that.

Upvote 0