What is a successful (good) creation for God?

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You will have to show how the id,ego, and superego fit in Origen's anthropology. At this point, it's an anachronism since he wasn't working in that framework.
Origen, obviously, did not talk about the id, ego, and superego. But he distinguished the soul from the nous quite clearly. The nous is a faculty of contemplation, intuition, and receptivity. It is more or less the same as the human spirit. And it is what ultimately is saved. He insisted that all fallen nous is saved. Strictly speaking, according to Origen's view, “Satan” will never be saved, because by the time that fallen nous we now call “Satan” is slowly and painfully rehabilitated, it will no longer bear the name “Satan.” If it is fully restored, that soul, like any other, will bear the name “Christ.”

I'll have to think about the second question.
I think it's an important question. These conversations have always presented UR as a reconciliation of all personalities, all egos. If God is mainly concerned with saving the spirit would this be a failure?

We also see the distinction between nous and soul in Evagrios the Solitary:

"Do not let your eyes be distracted during prayer, but detach yourself from concern with body and soul, and give all your attention to the nous."

Last edited:
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Origen, obviously, did not talk about the id, ego, and superego. But he distinguished the soul from the nous quite clearly. The nous is a faculty of contemplation, intuition, and receptivity. It is more or less the same as the human spirit. And it is what ultimately is saved. He insisted that all fallen nous is saved. Strictly speaking, according to Origen's view, “Satan” will never be saved, because by the time that fallen nous we now call “Satan” is slowly and painfully rehabilitated, it will no longer bear the name “Satan.” If it is fully restored, that soul, like any other, will bear the name “Christ.”
I think it's an important question. These conversations have always presented UR as a reconciliation of all personalities, all egos. If God is mainly concerned with saving the spirit would this be a failure?
If one cites something an ECF said, they should provide identification of the pertinent source.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But he distinguished the soul from the nous quite clearly. The nous is a faculty of contemplation, intuition, and receptivity. It is more or less the same as the human spirit. And it is what ultimately is saved.

It's been a long time since I've read De Principiis, if that's your source. I don't doubt what you're saying, but if you know where he is making that distinction, I would like to brush up on my own understanding.

Here is a quote from De Principiis, taken from Ramelli's book (I have a copy of De Principiis buried somewhere, so if you know where I can look, I'll dig out my copy).

"Every being will be restored to be one, and God will be all in all. However, this will not happen in a moment, but slowly and gradually, through innumerable aeons of indefinite duration, because correction and purification will take place gradually, according to the needs of each individual. Thus, whereas some with a faster rhythm will be the first to hasten to the goal, and others will follow them closely, yet others on the contrary will fall a long distance behind. And in this way, through innumerable orders constituted by those who make progress and, after being enemies, are reconciled to God, there will come the last enemy, Death, that this may be destroyed and there maybe no enemy left." De Prin. 3:6:6

I looked at an online translation and instead of "being" in the first line it has "bodily substance." I wish I had a copy of the Greek to see what word they are translating Being/Bodily substance.

We can put Origen aside for the moment and make this easy. Whatever Christ assumed is redeemed by Christ. As you probably know, a basic principle of the defenders of orthodoxy was that if it was not assumed in Christ's incarnation, it was not redeemed. And since Christ assumed all of human nature-body, soul, spirit, mind- in the incarnation, every aspect of the human will be redeemed.

Strictly speaking, according to Origen's view, “Satan” will never be saved, because by the time that fallen nous we now call “Satan” is slowly and painfully rehabilitated, it will no longer bear the name “Satan.” If it is fully restored, that soul, like any other, will bear the name “Christ.”

I think I do remember that point. I think even Ramelli brings this up. As you indicate, this is true for all of us. We are crucified with Christ-the "old man" as Paul put it, and we are raised with Christ. So no one with the blessed hope is the same as they were.

Would you say the ego is part of what Christ assumed in the incarnation? If not, if the ego is not essential to our humanity then what is lost is an illusion, the "old" man" perhaps? I think I see what you're getting at, but I am not sure. I am not real familiar with the id, ego, superego distinctions. I'm also not real sure how committed we should be to Freud's structure of the psyche; although, I'm not opposed to thinking about this in those terms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We are not writing academic essays here.
Doesn't matter. If I quote something an ECF or scholar said you can bet your paycheck someone will demand that I cite the source.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here is a quote from De Principiis, taken from Ramelli's book (I have a copy of De Principiis buried somewhere, so if you know where I can look, I'll dig out my copy).
"Every being will be restored to be one, and God will be all in all. However, this will not happen in a moment, but slowly and gradually, through innumerable aeons of indefinite duration, because correction and purification will take place gradually, according to the needs of each individual. Thus, whereas some with a faster rhythm will be the first to hasten to the goal, and others will follow them closely, yet others on the contrary will fall a long distance behind. And in this way, through innumerable orders constituted by those who make progress and, after being enemies, are reconciled to God, there will come the last enemy, Death, that this may be destroyed and there maybe no enemy left." De Prin. 3:6:6

All somewhat interesting but meaningless/irrelevant in the absence of scripture. And I don't see any.

• Agree
Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We also see the distinction between nous and soul in Evagrios the Solitary:
"Do not let your eyes be distracted during prayer, but detach yourself from concern with body and soul, and give all your attention to the nous."
Anything that Origen, or any other ECF, wrote which is not supported by scripture is no more compelling than the scribbling on a public facility wall. And I don't see one vs. of scripture quoted here.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0

Hmm

Hey, I'm just this guy, you know
Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Anything that Origen, or any other ECF, wrote which is not supported by scripture is no more compelling the scribbling on a public facility wall.

Where is that supported in scripture or are you being all self-refuting again?

• Haha
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
All somewhat interesting but meaningless/irrelevant in the absence of scripture. And I don't see any.

This might be a surprise, but the ECFs were interpreting scripture. Even Origen, one of the greatest exegetes in Christian history, believed he was interpreing scripture. You might not like his interpretations, and that's fine, but your claim that he's not using scripture is off the mark.

And, you know, let's give poor Origen a break. The all-reliable Jewish Encyclopedia of All Knowledge Worth Having c.1903 had not yet been printed. ;) I'm kidding. :)

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Could you address the way that "goodness", or "good", is a manifestation of freedom?
I'm obviously reading between the lines here. But... (52:20)

I also wanted to share this quote from Nyssa along with Ramelli's comment to back up what I was saying.

"Therefore, that free mastery over ourselves could remain in our nature, but evil be removed from it, divine Wisdom excogitated the following plan: allow the human being to do whatever it wanted and taste all the evils it wished, and thus learn from experience what it has preferred to the Good, and then come back, with its desire, to its original beatitude, voluntarily, banishing from its own nature all that which is subject to the passions and irrationality, by purifying itself in the present life by means of meditation and philosophy, or by plunging, after death, into purifying fire." Nyssa from On the Dead

Ramelli comments: "Restoration, with the consequent salvation, must be voluntary; apokatastasis does not cancel each human's free will, but rather depends on it, as Origen had also thought. For Gregory, the full manifestation of Christ-Logos will eliminate irrational passions and ignorance and will "persuade every soul who does not believe," so that "all nations and peoples" will submit and be saved." From A Larger Hope? pg. 123

I should say, people who want to claim that Nyssa was not a proponent of UR because he is the Pillar of Orthodoxy and the Father of Fathers are kidding themselves and not being honest. Before reading her book, I already knew from my own reading that it is riddled throughout his writings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, we have been created with the ability to choose between good and evil. But that is not the goal. The goal is true freedom whereby we only choose good and never evil. That is the great good God values and that is the telos (end) that God is bringing us toward. This is why Irenaeus's account of Genesis makes the most sense, i.e. Adam and Eve in their spiritual immaturity chose evil instead of good because they were decieved.
Great response to my inquiry. Thanks.
I wanted to explore this point a bit. (plenty more to discuss after this)

Many take the position that A&E sinned deliberately. But I agree with you, they were deceived.
They had plenty of opportunity, it seems, but didn't "bite" until the serpent deceived them.

Some may ask, 'What difference does that make?" Good question.

It means there was something bigger at play here.
This wasn't willful and premeditated rebellion against God. And as I indicated in an earlier thread,
A&E didn't really understand the consequences either. What did they know of "death"?
And even if they DID understand physical death, that's not what this was, it was spiritual death. IMHO

Upvote 0

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟203,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Great response to my inquiry. Thanks.
I wanted to explore this point a bit. (plenty more to discuss after this)

Many take the position that A&E sinned deliberately. But I agree with you, they were deceived.
They had plenty of opportunity, it seems, but didn't "bite" until the serpent deceived them.

Some may ask, 'What difference does that make?" Good question.

It means there was something bigger at play here.
This wasn't willful and premeditated rebellion against God. And as I indicated in an earlier thread,
A&E didn't really understand the consequences either. What did they know of "death"?
And even if they DID understand physical death, that's not what this was, it was spiritual death. IMHO
Blessings in Christ Jesus. I do not think many understand the consequences. It is more than spiritual death. The enemy is a liar, a killer, and a thief. Now what could have entered man in the garden that would make Cain a killer of his brother. This is the fruit of what entered man. "For He knew what was in man" John Chapter 2 last sentence. When a person is truly born from above, it is he whom The Lord(The Holy Spirit) has entered in. "Behold i stand at the door and knock....... And when and if The Lord enters in, anything unclean flees out before Him as He is Holy. Since I was born again long ago, The Lord and His love is within me, just as He promised. There is no ability to kill, or the desire to lie or to steal. How can one lie, kill, steal, or covet when one loves. as The Lord loves. It is true, the old has passed away and all things become new. The Lord has said that all the thoughts and imaginations of man are evil continually. He used these words with some, "your father the devil, and with Peter (before he received Power from on high) "get behind me satan" And even on the cross, "Father forgive them for they know not what they do" So you see, man was left to his own devices(His father's nature)since the garden, but praise be to God a way was provided through Jesus on the cross. So at the end of the matter(Jesus's return) there will be the clean and the unclean. But even the unclean's door will have been knocked upon, as it is The Lord's will that none should perish. "and if you hear My Voice, and open the door, I will enter into you and sup(eat). And so it may be known, that which entered man in the garden is against(enmity) God and anything to do with Him. I have seen faces cringe at The Name of Jesus when I brought it up unexpectedly. When understood in this Light, it can be clearly seen The Lord is just in all His judgements and doings. It has been said that The Lord knows those that are His. It has also been said that Jesus will say, "I never knew you" So at the end of the matter, there will be those that stand at Jesus left hand, and those that stand on His right. Let us not forget that when Jesus was lifted up, He kept His promise, to draw all men unto Himself, even the ones that eventually will be found standing on His left, in whom He will say "depart from Me you workers of inequity, I never knew you." So search the scriptures Saint Steven and see if these things are not so. Perhaps The Lord in His mercy will open your heart to the scriptures so that you may understand this. After all He is the One that leaves the 99 to go after the one that has fallen into a pit. There is a story that The Lord gave me at the beginning of my journey. I believe it was my first post on Christian Forums. It was titled "Follow Me" I think you would find it as interesting as Wendy found hers. Be Blessed!

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So search the scriptures Saint Steven and see if these things are not so. Perhaps The Lord in His mercy will open your heart to the scriptures so that you may understand this. After all He is the One that leaves the 99 to go after the one that has fallen into a pit.
Not sure where we parted ways. Certainly not my doing.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why did Jesus' resurrected body then still bear the crucifixion wounds on his hands and feet?
Wow. That's an interesting question.

Makes me wonder about a few things.
Would a person who was handicapped, blind, deaf, or afflicted, still be that way in the afterlife?
At least initially. ??? (apologies, I'm off-topic)

Mark 9:45-49 NIV
And if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. [46] 47 And if your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, 48 where
“‘the worms that eat them do not die,
and the fire is not quenched.’
49 Everyone will be salted with fire.

Reactions: Hmm
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I looked at an online translation and instead of "being" in the first line it has "bodily substance." I wish I had a copy of the Greek to see what word they are translating Being/Bodily substance.
It is difficult to figure out from Ramelli's book how she translates different Greek terms. The following article is useful (in this article nous is usually translated as mind and occasionally as intellect):

We can put Origen aside for the moment and make this easy. Whatever Christ assumed is redeemed by Christ. As you probably know, a basic principle of the defenders of orthodoxy was that if it was not assumed in Christ's incarnation, it was not redeemed. And since Christ assumed all of human nature-body, soul, spirit, mind- in the incarnation, every aspect of the human will be redeemed.
True. But Christ did not assume every single personality including murderers and torturers.

We are crucified with Christ-the "old man" as Paul put it, and we are raised with Christ. So no one with the blessed hope is the same as they were.
I agree.

Would you say the ego is part of what Christ assumed in the incarnation? If not, if the ego is not essential to our humanity then what is lost is an illusion, the "old" man" perhaps? I think I see what you're getting at, but I am not sure. I am not real familiar with the id, ego, superego distinctions. I'm also not real sure how committed we should be to Freud's structure of the psyche; although, I'm not opposed to thinking about this in those terms.
We don't have to be committed to Freud's structure at all. We can think in terms of Plato's structure of the soul or any other structure. The point is that when the personality / soul achieves salvation, it ceases being a soul and is entirely subsumed in spirit / nous.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hmm

Hey, I'm just this guy, you know
Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Wow. That's an interesting question.

Makes me wonder about a few things.
Would a person who was handicapped, blind, deaf, or afflicted, still be that way in the afterlife?
At least initially. ??? (apologies, I'm off-topic)

Mark 9:45-49 NIV
And if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. [46] 47 And if your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, 48 where
“‘the worms that eat them do not die,
and the fire is not quenched.’
49 Everyone will be salted with fire.

I agree, it's an interesting question but, as you say, off-topic so best not to discuss it here.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

That's an interesting observation that I hadn't considered. They had plenty of opportunity but didn't "bite" until they were deceived. When we choose evil we do so because of some apparent good we see in it. The idea that when we see clearly the goodness and love of God we could still be deceived is hard to defend. Their spiritual immaturity, especially their lack of experience with evil, worked against them. It will be different for us. Our experience of evil in this life will be a stark contrast to the unmitigated goodness and love of God. What we see dimly as in a mirror now will be clear.

At any rate, it occurs to me that the doctrine of eternal damnation is somewhat Manichean in that an eternal dualism of good and evil is the result. That is, instead of God defeating evil completely, good and evil exist forever as a duality-a heaven where there is only good and a hell where there is everlasting evil, but both persist for eternity. It's strange that Augustine's rejection of Manicheanism, of which he was a one time adherent, ends up reappearing, at least in a pseudo form, in his eschatology.

• Winner
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The point is that when the personality / soul achieves salvation, it ceases being a soul and is entirely subsumed in spirit / nous

Okay, I'm tracking now. Your link helped refresh my memory. You're right, and that distinction continues to show up in many ECFs, e.g., Nyssa, Evagrius, basically all who were influenced by Origen lol.

Back to Freud, so the ego is essentially soul? Paul's statement- It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me- comes to mind

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's an interesting observation that I hadn't considered. They had plenty of opportunity but didn't "bite" until they were deceived. When we choose evil we do so because of some apparent good we see in it. The idea that when we see clearly the goodness and love of God we could still be deceived is hard to defend. Their spiritual immaturity, especially their lack of experience with evil, worked against them. It will be different for us. Our experience of evil in this life will be a stark contrast to the unmitigated goodness and love of God. What we see dimly as in a mirror now will be clear.
My wife forwarded this video to me. Graham Cooke is a favorite teacher of ours.

As relates to the goodness of God...
Graham found himself in a tough situation where he had taken on a lot of staff to help with his ministry efforts, but the financial support was lacking to cover overhead and payroll. He was considering his options through this dim view of his circumstances.

While talking to God about the situation, the Lord asked him if he wanted to see his view of the situation. Graham conceded, of course. And God gave him a vision (mental image) of the ministry having grown considerably and how happy and content Graham was. Not the expected additional stress. With this positive view he pressed on and saw the realization. I won't spoil what happened to make this possible. Watch the video to learn more. Small investment for the payoff. (18 min)

I learned a long time ago that we need to put God between ourselves and our trouble, not the other way around. The challenge, of course, is to remember to do that.

5,966 views Jan 17, 2023
The essence of all good mentoring is asking brilliant questions that allow us to explore our relationship with God in a deeper way.SEE MORE Today we are asking the question, “If Jesus were looking out through my eyes how would He see my current situation?” Thinking through life using this question will align you with the mind of Christ and empower you to perceive all your life circumstances through a renewed lens. As always, thanks for listening! ❤️

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great post, thanks.
Reminded me of something that has been rattling on the back burner of my mind for a while.
Not sure if my mind is a gas stove, or electric, but that's beside the point. - LOL

The difference between being led by the Spirit and being led by the Word. (Bible)
This is dangerous territory, and I'm likely to ruffle some feathers. WWJD?

I have wanted to address the issue of Christians feeling "led" to do something with a scriptural defense.
Actually considered this originally while reading the Screwtape Letters, C.S. Lewis. (the toast)
The 'thing" they are being led to do seems innocent to them and they can easily defend it, both rationally and biblically.
So... what could go wrong? (plenty)

The problem is that we never know enough of the behind-the-scenes activity to make either a correct rational, or biblical-based, decision.
And we don't need to know. God knows.

Both the serpent in the garden and the Devil tempting Jesus in the wilderness used the Word to deceive.
But the enemy is unable to use the Spirit in that way. Best he can do is counterfeit it.
A fully developed spiritual discernment is the only antidote. IMHO

Don't get me wrong. A biblical-based decision is oftentimes the best for us. Especially as it concerns us personally.
But being led by the Spirit is superior. Something many know little about. Myself included.

At any rate, it occurs to me that the doctrine of eternal damnation is somewhat Manichean in that an eternal dualism of good and evil is the result. That is, instead of God defeating evil completely, good and evil exist forever as a duality-a heaven where there is only good and a hell where there is everlasting evil, but both persist for eternity. It's strange that Augustine's rejection of Manicheanism, of which he was a one time adherent, ends up reappearing, at least in a pseudo form, in his eschatology.

https://www.theopedia.com/manicheanism
That's good.
I love it when we can shed some light on "the history of hell". Where did it come from? (not God)

Upvote 0