What is a "Moderate Christian" theologically?

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
How is your theology "moderate"... or is it?

People see the word "moderate" in different ways, whether it's theologically or politically. Some view it in a negative light, and think it means "lukewarm", or not being serious about Christianity. Some think on the positive side, and look at it as merely trying to hold their cool and stay as peaceful as possible in the middle of some of Christianity's most controversial topics, the so-called "gray areas" where opinions vary so much.

Although I personally consider my theology and Scripture interpretation views to lean somewhat on the conservative side, there are others who would have different takes on this. Some would consider me more moderate (or maybe even liberal) because I have openly stated that politics and faith don't really belong together. Some ultra-strict types would view me as liberal (or "lukewarm") because I do not hold the KJVO view, am musically versatile, and I don't wear only skirts. On the other side of the coin, some would view me as strict (and even "legalistic") because I hold the Young Earth Creation view and choose not to drink nor smoke. This only goes to show that the word "moderate", in itself, is somewhat controversial.

To conclude, all believers have a duty to follow the Bible as best they know how, and should follow any conviction they might have, taking care not to condemn or judge other people for not having the same convictions. Romans 14 is one of my favorite Scriptures because it encourages us all to be able to agree to disagree (even though I see nothing wrong with reasonable debating) on our differing convictions and the way we see things theologically. And this is what "moderate" really means to me.

Upvote 0

dusky_tresses

Just holding on
Jun 4, 2004
Midwest
✟17,998.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
WannaWitness, I appreciate the fact that you mention convictions. There are so many times where people mistake a command for a conviction, and a conviction for a command. The Bible makes many commands that we are all to follow, yet just because someone has a conviction doesn't mean you're unChristian. I think having a moderate outlook helps you discern the difference.

Reactions: WannaWitness
Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
WannaWitness, I appreciate the fact that you mention convictions. There are so many times where people mistake a command for a conviction, and a conviction for a command. The Bible makes many commands that we are all to follow, yet just because someone has a conviction doesn't mean you're unChristian. I think having a moderate outlook helps you discern the difference.

Thanks for your input. I can even relate when it comes to actually having known such people personally. I knew a family once, and the father used to brag about what a holy family he had, how they dressed holy and that they thought CCM "wasn't anointed". The old "holier-than-thou" bit. I mean, I'm open to the fact that this (and other things) are honest-to-goodness convictions that people have, and if that's what they feel, then they should all follow through, but being careful not to brag, or "rub it in others' faces", just because one doesn't share their views. It's a trap anyone can fall into, if not careful.

Upvote 0

dusky_tresses

Just holding on
Jun 4, 2004
Midwest
✟17,998.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Kinda like the convictions of wearing a headcovering for gals, reading the Bible everyday, going to church every Sunday, dressing nicely for church, having long hair for gals, abstaining from drinking alcohol, etc.? Oftentimes many people believe the above are all Biblical commandments, when we can see that they are convictions. Oftentimes people also believe that convictions "make you better" than other people who don't do them. I would wonder what their true motives are.

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Yes, that makes sense.

So a moderate Christian is one who can be traditional in belief, but are open as to how to apply that faith in everyday life. Moderate Christians prefer to show their faith by example and to not impose that faith on others by legal means.

Is that statement correct?

It is correct for me for the most part.

I personally have a hard time taking sides when it comes to a lot of things. I tend to be a fence sitter. I can usually take a side when it comes to my own personal beliefs/standards, but I cannot bring myself to impose those on others as law or rule. Abortion for example. I'm against it and would never get one myself and I would encourage others to consider other options. But on the other hand, I'm against making it illegal and if I have a friend who chooses to have one, I'll go to the clinic with her and hold her hand and support her.

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is correct for me for the most part.

I personally have a hard time taking sides when it comes to a lot of things. I tend to be a fence sitter. I can usually take a side when it comes to my own personal beliefs/standards, but I cannot bring myself to impose those on others as law or rule. Abortion for example. I'm against it and would never get one myself and I would encourage others to consider other options. But on the other hand, I'm against making it illegal and if I have a friend who chooses to have one, I'll go to the clinic with her and hold her hand and support her.
I think there's a definite difference between truly fence sitting and what merely appears to be such as far as others are concerned.

If we're going to use that subject as the example, what one personally believes is right may be at odds with what they believe is the proper course of action to ultimately resolve it, or how it fits into the difference between personal morals and the role of the State. There's quite a bit of realism and futilism mixed together on that particular issue - it's a no-win solution whether you look at the ramifications of the pro-choice or pro-life view. When looking for solutions, one side is too short-sighted and rash, and the other doesn't do enough to curb the numbers. And it won't be truly resolved until something comes along to satisfy the main concerns of both camps - what that requires is something neither one seems all that enthusiastic about (funding toward proper research to avert this issue in the first place), as they're too busy trying to manage themselves while attempting to undermine the other. Nothing good comes out of that conflict.

Upvote 0

dusky_tresses

Just holding on
Jun 4, 2004
Midwest
✟17,998.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's what is tough about being a moderate Christian with many issues-- you're either viewed as a wishy-washy or an uptight fundie. Abortion is never going to be a win-win situation. There will always be arguments. How we chose to engage in them and let them be, I think, is often just as if not more important than the issue itself.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
A person can have a very closed set of beliefs. Anything that does not fit is deemed wrong. That is a characteristic of fundamentalists.

Then, there are those who have fairly similar doctrines, but within a much wider intellectual framework that allows for shades, complexities, a preparedness to understand other's viewpoints and to revise one's thinking if that is required. They are often reviled by fundamentalists for being less 'definite' about what the bible really teaches, but only because of the narrowness of fundamentalist thinking.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If abortion is not the legal murder of an innocent pre-born infant, why should anyone oppose it at all?

If abortion IS such legalized murder, how can anyone say they would not try to change the laws to proscribe it, or that they would accompany and support someone intending to commit the murder?

Upvote 0

dusky_tresses

Just holding on
Jun 4, 2004
Midwest
✟17,998.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's the problem. It's about who sees it as murder and who does not. Currently, legislation does not define abortion as murder and abortion is legal. Is changing the laws really the best way to go about doing that? There are countries in Europe which have even more liberal laws regarding abortion yet have some of the lowest rates of abortion in the world. For example, the Netherlands, Belgium, and Germany have half the rates of abortion compared to the United States.

I really don't want this thread to turn into a pro-choice vs pro-life showdown because these are the types of issues we are struggling to grapple with in a civilized, moderate manner that examines the complexities of situations. We are not always going to like what others believe or do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
In addition to the things I've been saying in this thread, I just had a thought:

It is the legalists who make it hard on Christians who have their own personal convictions and are truly doing their best to follow the Lord. That's why we sadly have people who are bitter against Christians altogether, and come up with nasty (in my opinion) Websites such as Landover Baptist, which is not a real church, but a "parody" site filled with warped ideas of what fundamentalist Christians are like. What they are failing to see is the big difference between fundamentalism and legalism, which, in my opinion, are actually opposites.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
I got a chuckle out of that website after punching it into Google. ^_^ The problem is, the damage is already done, people will have preconceived notions because unfortunately a lot of churches and "Christians" can confirm these notions by acting this way. It has happened to me a lot so I can relate.

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If abortion is not the legal murder of an innocent pre-born infant, why should anyone oppose it at all?

If abortion IS such legalized murder, how can anyone say they would not try to change the laws to proscribe it, or that they would accompany and support someone intending to commit the murder?

And this is why I'm moderate.

I don't see things as either black, or white.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If abortion is NOT the legal murder of an innocent pre-born infant, why should anyone oppose it at all?

And this is why I'm moderate.

I don't see things as either black, or white.

Fine, but I honestly don't see how there can be any third option. The act either is or is not murder. And that being the case, I emphatically stand by what I wrote. Being "moderate" involves taking a middle road, but sometimes -- as in a choice between "is" and "is not" -- there is no such road.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lazerboy

Lutheristic Baptist
Jul 25, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
✟15,254.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
How is your theology "moderate"... or is it?

As a moderate Calvinist, I believe the following five points.

Everyone starts out as totally depraved. What that means is that sin touches each and every aspect of our lives. Yet, God gives to each of us a choice: we can accept his free gift of eternal salvation and so live.

There is no condition upon God to give the give the gift of salvation. However, there is a single condition on a human being to receive it, they must believe in Jesus Christ and what he did for them on the cross.

Jesus died for everyone.

God's grace is resistible by those who are not willing to follow him. God is not a spiritual puppet-master. He does not coerce anyone to be a Christian.

Once a person is saved, they will always remain so. Even if they seem to stray, the Shepherd will keep them as one of his flock.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
As a moderate Calvinist, I believe the following five points.

That's an interesting take on Calvinism, but this probably isn't the right place to debate. Your list would probably be accepted by a very large percentage of modern Evangelicalists, whether they identify as Calvinists or not.

I will say that your views of total depravity, unconditional election, limited atonement, irresistible grace, and even perseverance are a significant departures from traditional Calvinism. It's curious that you identify your position as Calvinist (even if a moderate one), then proceed to disagree with the Calvinist positions on 4 1/2 out of 5 points. (I don't claim to be any kind of Calvinist, BTW.)

I've noticed a trend among some Christians to attempt to explain their belief system in terms of "I'm an X point Calvinist," so perhaps that's what you were doing. I would submit that attempting to describe one's doctrinal position based on a foreign framework is not very productive at best, and incredibly confusing at worst.

I am not a "Moderate Christian" as per the question in the OP, that is to say that I am very conservative in my doctrine and practice. As I understand it, though, this forum isn't about having moderate theological positions but about being a place of refuge from those who wish to impress others with their zealous argumentativeness and from outright hostility in the face of differing views.

Upvote 0

Lazerboy

Lutheristic Baptist
Jul 25, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
✟15,254.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
That's an interesting take on Calvinism, but this probably isn't the right place to debate.

Thank you for the compliment, and... I wasn't seeking a debate.

Your list would probably be accepted by a very large percentage of modern Evangelicalists, whether they identify as Calvinists or not.

Yes, perhaps so. However, one thing I see I neglected to state (and many modern evangelicals would disagree on this point) is that I do believe in the concept of predestination. I believe that God, before the time of creation, chose a remnant of humanity to be his elect whom he will save.

I will say that your views of total depravity, unconditional election, limited atonement, irresistible grace, and even perseverance are a significant departures from traditional Calvinism.

Perhaps. My views are more in line with John Calvin the man than with the theological school which bears his name.

...As I understand it, though, this forum isn't about having moderate theological positions but about being a place of refuge from those who wish to impress others with their zealous argumentativeness and from outright hostility in the face of differing views.

Point well taken (hey, remember, I'm a Newbie here). I personally welcome a forum where heated debate is not the order of the day.:clap:

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps. My views are more in line with John Calvin the man than with the theological school which bears his name.
I can relate. Calvin himself makes much more sense to me than most of his followers do.

Welcome, Lazerboy! :wave:

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
As I understand it, though, this forum isn't about having moderate theological positions but about being a place of refuge from those who wish to impress others with their zealous argumentativeness and from outright hostility in the face of differing views.
Right, CD. That was at least a large part of this place's reason for being. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0