What is a "Moderate Christian" theologically?

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As it is, the "Statement of Purpose" of the forum spells it all out in very clear terms

If that was really so, there wouldn't be the confusion. I have read and re-read the SOP many times -- yet still the idea of MODERATE THEOLOGY comes across

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
From SOP:
"This forum is for those who find themselves being open to new ideas and societal changes while clinging to their historical beliefs of the Christian faith."

But some posters are NOT "clinging to... historical beliefs of the Christian faith" - some posters do not even accept those historical beliefs.

In any case, I am glad this forum is here, and bridges can be built between various degrees of theological positions.

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
open to new ideas and societal changes
(from the SOP)

That is a good perspective -- there are those who would hold that "the faith once and for all delivered to the saints" brooks no new ideas and has no regard for societal changes.

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It has taken me a long long time to even begin to grasp the true meaning and spirit of this forum. It is either a matter of just me being dense, or else there is some ground of confusion. But I feel the spirit of the forum is important, and wish it would extend to all of CF.

Upvote 0

HardHead

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2019
GTA
✟84,378.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is more work this way; some of us can't go to the ballot box and just automatically punch the name next to the "D" or the "R".

This is a great idea and a very interesting thread.

It seems that most replies so far are from the US and that the discussion is in an American idiom at least regarding the politics and constitution part of the discussion. This seems to apply somewhat to the theological aspects as well but to lesser degree. I hope to see posts from places other than the US.

Regarding theology, I think the Nicene Creed summarizes matters properly for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
For me personally, as a moderate, right now you might call me a Blue Liberal (as opposed to a Red Tory). I never voted Blue although I have certainly voted Red, Orange, and Green. I am slowly moving toward Blue as I get older.

I am not a monarchist and I want to see an elected, non-hereditary head of state someday, a reformed/elected senate (i.e. not appointed) and a move away from first-past-the-post to a more proportional method.

I am against the privatization of health care and I am for multiculturalism. I believe that man-made climate change is real and that it should be dealt with according to political, social, and economic priorities. On my list climate change it is in the top five with health care and CPP funding, poverty reduction, electoral reform, and indigenous rights (not necessarily in that order).

I support the strong separation of church and state and I don't want to see an imposition of religious thought or quasi-religious legal systems of any kind whatsoever on anyone since I believe in free will.
It still is the case that the focus of the forum and the specific topic of this thread are not about politics..

Upvote 0

HardHead

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2019
GTA
✟84,378.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It depends on how you define the term 'conservative' in the first place, or what it connotes in your mind.

This is exactly right. In my view this is largely related to the community where you live and the overall view of things relative to those around you.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Hunter

Feb 23, 2020
Pomona
✟7,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm an ex Evangelical Protestant on my way to potentially converting to Eastern Orthodox Christianity. I don't believe in innerancy of the Bible like evangelicals do. I do believe it innerantly points to Jesus Christ. I definitely would say take it all seriously, but definitely not all literally. Homosexuality is a sin, but it's not our place to force our views on others. This is where I'm a hardcore Libertarian. Any attempt to Politically oppose one's will on another is essentially a violation of human freedom but I also see the need to undermine the dependency mindset of many Americans in order to truly empower them to take care of themselves. That said I do see a need for not outright suppression on sexuality, but definitely temperance. I don't deny the existence of hell but do believe there is a hell that is a state of being in which we either accept or reject divine love. I see the value of liberal Christian views on loving and not judging. I do think they're a bit too licentious though. I also see the benefit of restraint in the conservative view but they're a bit too strict. They're very controlling and they tend to often violate human freedom to get the results they want and from an Orthodox perspective this is antithetical to soul healing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm an ex Evangelical Protestant on my way to potentially converting to Eastern Orthodox Christianity. I don't believe in innerancy of the Bible like evangelicals do. I do believe it innerantly points to Jesus Christ. I definitely would say take it all seriously, but definitely not all literally. Homosexuality is a sin, but it's not our place to force our views on others. This is where I'm a hardcore Libertarian. Any attempt to Politically oppose one's will on another is essentially a violation of human freedom but I also see the need to undermine the dependency mindset of many Americans in order to truly empower them to take care of themselves. That said I do see a need for not outright suppression on sexuality, but definitely temperance. I don't deny the existence of hell but do believe there is a hell that is a state of being in which we either accept or reject divine love. I see the value of liberal Christian views on loving and not judging. I do think they're a bit too licentious though. I also see the benefit of restraint in the conservative view but they're a bit too strict. They're very controlling and they tend to often violate human freedom to get the results they want and from an Orthodox perspective this is antithetical to soul healing.
Great post and welcome to CF Benjamin!

Upvote 0