• Anointed, On-Fire, & Prophetic Christian •
Aug 23, 2004
West Virginia
✟2,328.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Well on a discussion about the double anointing this topic kind of emerged.

I really want to study these things deeper.

What is a mantle? What is it's purpose(s)? What kind of mantles are there? What are some scriptures that verify the theory of mantles?

~RENEE~

Legend
Jan 21, 2005
home
✟28,526.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christian Dude said:

What is a mantle? What is it's purpose(s)? What kind of mantles are there? What are some scriptures that verify the theory of mantles?

A mantle is a covering in the spiritual it would be similar to an anointing.
Do you remeber the story of Elijah and Elisah 1 Kings 19 verse 19 states that Elijah saw Elisha he thew his mantle on him. Then in 2 Kings chapter 2 Elisha told Elijah let a double portion of your spirit be upon me Elijah replied if you see me when I go it will be so. When Elijah was taken to heaven Elisha picked up Elijah's mantle.

Spiritually speaking my friend it is similar to an anointing. I read that conversation between you and that other man what basically was meant when he mentioned his mantle was the anointing that is on him.

Upvote 0

riverpastor

Take the Red Pill.
Mar 23, 2004
Ft. Worth
✟20,727.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
All I know is...

let God decide the "mantle" He will give you.

I have heard people pray over the years for this person's mantle or that person's mantle.

I was raised to pray like this myself. I read about the great men of faith over the past 100 years and thought, "Man, I'd like to have an anointing like that!"

One day, quietly praying alone, the Lord spoke gently to me in Spirit and said, "The mantle I give you will be yours alone. IT will not be like anyone else's."

I just broke in His arms.

God will do abundantly more than we can ask or think.

He gives me strength to be what He wants ME to be.

Sorry, didn't mean to sidetrack...

Upvote 0

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
A 'mantle' was a cloak that was worn-- no special significance, just a cloak. Some believe it may have been a tallit or prayer shawl.

When Elisha was following Elijah near the end of Elijah's ministry, Elisha said he wanted double the anointing that was on Elijah. Elijah told Elisha that if Elisha saw Elijah taken up to heaven he would receive what he had requested.

Elisha stuck close to Elijah... saw him caught up to heaven in a chariot of fire.. and as Elijah was caught up, his cloak (mantle) fell back down to the ground. Elisha picked it up and carried it with him--symbolizing Elijah and the anointing that was on him.

While this is the one and only instance of this (or even anything close to it) occurring in scripture, this symbol has been picked up in Pentecostal/Charismatic circles to refer to the anointing/call/office that is on a person.

Upvote 0

theywhosowintears

Jan 9, 2005
Outback, Australia
✟983.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Christian Dude said:

Read 2 Kings 2

This is my simple understanding of what the mantle is this.

The term mantle that we use is from Elijah/Elisha. Elisha recieved a double anointing* of the power of God that was upon Elijah. The mantle itself is similar to a cloak or a covering (representing God's spiritual covering)

The mantle is basicly interchangable with God's presence/Spirit.

Also read Exodus 3-4 you will see that God gives Moses a 'rod' which represents the Holy Spirit/power of God because an object, or person, in themself hasn't got the power, it is God using the object. (interestingly enough both were used to part water so that people could cross on dry land)

Peace

*of God's Holy Spirit which is the 'power/active' person of the Trinity; for example God (the Father) spoke at Creation but we read that the (Holy) Spirit of God moved over the face of the deep. Also at Jesus' baptism God the father affirms Jesus by speaking and the Holy Spirit descends in the form of a dove.

Upvote 0

riverpastor

Take the Red Pill.
Mar 23, 2004
Ft. Worth
✟20,727.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, we could say that the "mantle" is metaphorically speaking of the calling on one's life...

subjectively... but don't stake your faith on it.

If you understand the law of seedtime and harvest, it is apparent in our lives.

Sitting "under" a minister who is prophetic will normally yield an edge of the prophetic "mantle" in those who are yielded to the Seed of the Spirit in the prophetic.

Healing, evangelism, grace, etc. will yield itself in the lives of those fertile to its seed.

You can easily see this in the life of Elisha after Elijah was taken up. He had been open to the prophetic calling and received the giftiing in his life. It is not only seen in him, but in the same story of the Bible, we see that the "sons of the prophets" recognized that Elijah would be taken by the Lord on that day and afterwards that the spirit of Elijah "rested" upon Elisha. They were prophetic in their own right being "sons of the prophets". They were a company or in a school of the prophets.

Don't stake your faith on this either but: birds of a feather flock together.

I share this story about a dog I used to have - a blue heeler named Lady.

She went out and got bit by a snake in the right ear. Ater the swelling went down and the vet lanced her ear, she had a drooped right ear.

Her left ear stood up perfectly straight, but the right right ear just flopped down. It had been damaged by the snake bite.

We had two other dogs as well. Another younger blue heeler and just a mixed breed dog.

Lady was the leader of the pack, so to speak.

After two weeks, both of the other dogs' right ears were flopped over as well, but without cause due to injury.

I watched as in two weeks both of those dogs' ears just slowly drooped over.

They looked at the lead dog long enough until they became like her.

You become what you look at. You become what you behold. Whether you are looking at the world or sin or the prophetic and healing power of the King of kings, you simply turn into what you focus upon...

I wonder if this is why Paul told us to renew our minds and to focus on those things that were settled in the heavenlies??? Hmmmmm.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark Downham

A Desert Voice
Sep 15, 2004
✟5,252.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Brian

I have decided to step into this discussion.

The comment by Father Rick is carefully stated, deliberately dry and does not allow itself to be drawn on the issue of pentecostal/charismatic mysticism. However, it is what he does not say that I intend to address.

When Elisha was following Elijah near the end of Elijah's ministry, Elisha said he wanted double the anointing that was on Elijah. Elijah told Elisha that if Elisha saw Elijah taken up to heaven he would receive what he had requested.

Elisha stuck close to Elijah... saw him caught up to heaven in a chariot of fire.. and as Elijah was caught up, his cloak (mantle) fell back down to the ground. Elisha picked it up and carried it with him--symbolizing Elijah and the anointing that was on him.

While this is the one and only instance of this (or even anything close to it) occurring in scripture, this symbol has been picked up in Pentecostal/Charismatic circles to refer to the anointing/call/office that is on a person

I think the comment from theywhosowintears is more interesting and beginning to have a prophetic/perceptual/mystical edge that is seemingly ruled out in the treatment by Father Rick.

The term mantle that we use is from Elijah/Elisha. Elisha recieved a double anointing* of the power of God that was upon Elijah. The mantle itself is similar to a cloak or a covering (representing God's spiritual covering)

The mantle is basicly interchangable with God's presence/Spirit.

Also read Exodus 3-4 you will see that God gives Moses a 'rod' which represents the Holy Spirit/power of God because an object, or person, in themself hasn't got the power, it is God using the object. (interestingly enough both were used to part water so that people could cross on dry land)

2 Kings 2: 12 - 14

12And Elisha saw it, and he cried, My father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof. And he saw him no more: and he took hold of his own clothes, and rent them in two pieces.

This is a prophetic enactment of coming into God's presence and prefigures the Temple Curtain being torn in two.

13He took up also the mantle of Elijah that fell from him, and went back, and stood by the bank of Jordan;

He took up his ministry and office - the Jordan symbolises:

1. Sacramental Ordination.

2. Baptism and Anointing.

3. Transition and the sense of crossing over.

14And he took the mantle of Elijah that fell from him, and smote the waters, and said, Where is the LORD God of Elijah? and when he also had smitten the waters, they parted hither and thither: and Elisha went over.

In smiting the waters - the mantle was revealed to be an instrument of transferred and prophetic/symbolic Spiritual Power - again the parting symbolises crossing over into purpose, calling, ministry, appointment.

What has not been addressed by Father Rick and I am not satisfied with this - is why Elijah threw his mantle over Elisha - again prophetic/symbolic enactment of calling, anointing, conferment of authority - Elisha has a family business, with twelve hired men ploughing in a line with teams of oxen - he is prosperous and successful - this peripatetic wildman comes up and throws his mantle around him - Elisha then burns the plough, sacrifices the Oxen and follows Elijah into the invisible, the intangible, the crossing over into calling - and we are asked to believe that this act of transferring the mantle has no prophetic/symbolic significance - that is not good enough!

I Kings 19:19-21
The Call of Elisha
19 So Elijah went from there and found Elisha son of Shaphat. He was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen, and he himself was driving the twelfth pair. Elijah went up to him and threw his cloak around him. 20 Elisha then left his oxen and ran after Elijah. "Let me kiss my father and mother good-by," he said, "and then I will come with you."

"Go back," Elijah replied. "What have I done to you?" 21 So Elisha left him and went back. He took his yoke of oxen and slaughtered them. He burned the plowing equipment to cook the meat and gave it to the people, and they ate. Then he set out to follow Elijah and became his attendant.
The suggestion that there are no parallels in Scripture is wrong - before the fall - Adam was clothed with the glory of God.

Genesis 1:27

27 So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

This image was a conferment of presence covering Adam and I will refute any suggestion that this was not in effect a mantle.

Ok - not satisfied, let's go to the New Testament - Paul held the mantles of those stoning Stephen and whose ministry did he take over in being the Apostle to the Gentiles - Stephen. The theology of the spiritual transfer of mantlles in this switch crys out for attention.

If this is contentious - I mean to be - because I know I have a mantle and it is a mantle of liquid fire and if that sounds mystical - try grabbing hold of it - it is very real.

Mark

Upvote 0

Mark Downham

A Desert Voice
Sep 15, 2004
✟5,252.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Brian

I could write a theological paper on Mantles if you really want one - the critical factor is transference.

The people who mentor us will in some way transfer - impart - actually, I will use the expression - impartation - there will be an impartation of the work of th Holy Spirit in their lives.

If I started being theological - I would say that the transference of mantles in the Old Testament is expressed through Impartation in the New Testament.

Romans 1:11 - Paul says

I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong–

Actually - let me tell you a secret - I am going to whisper this - Father Rick has a mantle - his liturgical office requires him to wear the robes of his office - Just cloth?

No way - it is a symbol and in his case a prophetic and symbolic enactment of his ordination which his denomination hold to be a sacramental transference of authority.

Mark

Upvote 0

Mark Downham

A Desert Voice
Sep 15, 2004
✟5,252.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Mantles and Hands are prophetically and symbolically interchangeable.

<B>The laying on of hands in the Old and New Testament were for the following purposes:
  • Blessing.
  • The setting in place and anointing of leaders.
  • Consecration.
  • Impartation of spiritual gifts, strength, authority or wisdom.
  • Substitution and the transfer of punishment.
  • Healing
  • Deliverance.
  • Prophecy.
  • To receive the Baptism with the Holy Spirit - Old Catholic Bishops do this under their Sacrament of Confirmation.
In the Old Testament, the laying on of hands often conferred spiritual blessings. Israel stretched out his hands on the two sons of Joseph as a blessing, "guiding his hands wittingly." A definite impartation was received in this action, being the right hand placed on the head of Ephraim and setting him before Manasseh who was given the left even though Ephraim was the younger, though he was still blessed. Speaking words of wisdom, Jacob's hands were prophetically guided by the Holy Ghost in the blessing. As we stand to meet the Lord, it is those who are on the left that will be at Jesus' right hand.

When Moses was soon to die, the Lord had Moses lay his hands upon Joshua in order to put some of his honor upon him to charge him with authority and take his place. Because the Lord had commanded Moses to do this, the children of Israel listened to Joshua as their divinely-appointed leader. Joshua was already "a man in whom is the spirit," but through the laying on of hands, Joshua became full of wisdom and the anointing of Moses was transferred onto him. Joshua is a type of Christ as our leader. If only the leaders of our nations and ministers of our churches could be so charged up. One like the son of man touched Daniel's lips and opened his mouth so he could speak and again touched him and gave him strength. David thought of God's hand upon him as a blessing and comfort. In the New Testament, Jesus blessed the little children and laid His hands on them.

The Levites were brought before the Lord and the children of Israel put their hands on them. Aaron offered the Levites for an offering so that they may execute the service of the Lord. Aaron and his sons place their hands on the offering. Aaron represents our high priest Jesus and his sons represent us. This same idea was passed onto the Christian church in ordination and consecration through impartation. The Levites then laid their hands upon the heads of the bullocks, one for a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering unto the Lord to make an atonement for the Levites. This does not mean that the actual sinfulness of the people was transferred to the substitute but rather that the liability to punishment was transferred. In other words, the substitute bore the punishment of the people's sins. Through the hands being laid on the sacrifice, they identified themselves with the offering and the sin was transferred from the sinner to the victim so that their hands would be clean to serve. Hands were laid on the victim and the sin of the sinner confessed over it. The substitute then bore the sins of the people, and their sins were said to be "laid upon it" thereby being removed. This is a type of the atonement of Jesus, through our confession, our sins are transferred to Him so we can become holy. The Levites were then separated from among the children of Israel and belonged to the Lord completely for His service. This is also a type of the salvation in the Christian church that differentiates those who are merely justified from those who are wholly sanctified. Through faith, we lay our hands upon the Lamb of God, He takes away our sin, purifies us and consecrates us to service.

If the whole Israelite community sins through ignorance and does what is forbidden, even though it may be hid from the community, they are guilty. When they become aware of the sin they committed, the assembly offers a young bull for the sin and presents it before the Tabernacle of the congregation. The elders of the congregation lays their hands upon the head of the bullock and it is killed before the Lord. The anointed priest would then bring the blood to the tabernacle (which represents the atonement of Jesus), sprinkle a portion seven times before the Lord (which represents the seven spirits of the church) and upon the horns of the altar (representing purification) and then all the blood is poured upon the bottom of the altar (sanctification and reconciliation.) We may not always know what sins we commit but we may know that the blood of Jesus will cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness. Aaron laid both his hands upon the head of the live goat and confessed over him all the iniquities of the children of Israel. Aaron, as as the anointed high priest, like Jesus, is acting on behalf of the whole nation to make atonement. Praise the Lord. King David ordained trumpets at this time of atonement and instruments and singing. They bowed themselves and worshipped, singing praises with gladness.

When Elisha fell sick and was about to die, Joash, the king of Israel, came and wept over him. Elisha told the king to take a bow and arrow and put his hand upon the bow and Elisha put his hands over the kings hands. Elisha instructed the king to open the east window and shoot the arrow being "the arrow of the Lord's deliverance, you shall smite the Syrians in Aphek, till you have consumed them." Elisha laying his hands on the kings hands represented the divine impartation through Elisha to the king as the appointed leader who (like Jesus) would deliver Israel. The shooting of the arrow represented the defeat. This acknowledged both an impartation of leadership and the special grace and anointing to accomplish God's will.

The laying on of hands in consecration and ordination is used today by many churches and it has real spiritual power. The Holy Spirit separated Paul and Barnabas for the work and the prophets and teachers laid hands upon them and sent them on their way in the power of the Holy Ghost. Today, officers of the church have hands laid on by those who confer the authority of the Holy Ghost to equip those who will serve in the church. The officers of the early church were ordained by prayer, fasting and the laying on of hands. This action did not equip them with spiritual gifts, the Seven Deacons of Acts were men chosen already "full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom." True servants of God are ordained because they are qualified, not qualified by being ordained.

Jesus laid hands on those to be healed. Even though a leprous man was considered to be unclean, Jesus stretched forth His hand in love and touched the leper. The leper called out to Jesus in faith, "Lord, if you will, you can make me clean." Jesus said, "I will, be clean." The leper was healed immediately. He touched blind eyes and they saw, He touched ears and they heard, a tongue was loosed. He touched the hand of Peter's mother-in-law and a fever left her. Jesus took the daughter of Jairus by the hand and she arose from the dead. A woman had a bowed back for eighteen years and Jesus laid His hands on her and she was immediately made straight. "He laid His hands on every one of them, and healed them." In His own town Nazareth, because of their unbelief, Jesus could do no mighty work but He could at least lay His hands on the sick and heal them. Those in Nazareth were healed through the laying on of hands thereby suggesting that the laying on of hands will at least work when nothing else will.

Jesus did not say the sick would be immediately healed but promised, "they will recover" leaving the question of timing open. Sometimes healing is received immediately and at other times it is a gradual process. Nonetheless, Jesus promised and we should stand firm on it. Much of the faith in healing depends on the person being healed as well as in the gift of faith in the person laying his hands, but even the ear of the servant of the high priest was healed by Jesus in the garden as He was being arrested. The glory of the power must always be given to God as the source and transmitted through us. The laying on of hands is an act of faith in cooperation with the Holy Ghost and obedience to the Word. The Lord honors such faith with signs and wonders following.

Jesus before He was received into Heaven, Jesus told us that those that believe in the gospel and are baptized will also be able to lay hands on the sick in His name and they will recover. The book of Acts is full of examples of the apostles using their hands with the same power that Jesus had with "many signs and wonders." Ananias laid his hands on Paul, restoring his sight. The apostles Barnabas and Paul had the power, Paul healed many by laying on of hands and God's power is described as "special miracles by the hands of Paul." When Paul laid his hands on the father of Publius and healed him, others also came and were healed, so many that they were honored with many necessary provisions. James writes, "Is any sick among you? Let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: and the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him." Jesus in the Apocalypse held seven stars in His right hand and laid His hand on John.

Early in church history, the anointing with oil replaced much of the laying on of hands. The Biblical imperative of laying on of hands is the reason given for chrismation (anointing with oil) following baptism in the Orthodox church, marking a convert with myrrh. Chrismation represents the seal of the grace-giving powers that are bestowed through the ceremony for spiritual life. The practice of laying on of hands were retained in the Middle Ages through the ceremonial functions and the custom of applying relics and the prayers of healing. It has always been used for ordination or setting apart for service. The laying on of hands was considered a sacrrament and divine mystery, a visible representation of receiving the Holy Ghost. The Wesleyan and Whitefield revivals, the Great Awakening and the holiness movement saw the power and faith restored apart from mere ceremony, tradition and formality.

Many churches today still use the laying on of hands as a ritual - prophetic and symbolic enactment - to "confirm" people with real spiritual power and authority in Christ. Holy hands even with little faith under this kind of power is sufficient to drive out demons and demolish strongholds, heal the sick and anoint true servants.

Through the laying on of hands, with prayers and fasting, Paul and Barnabas were commissioned and empowered for the work God had for them to do. By the grace of God for the work which they fulfilled, God had opened "the door of faith unto the Gentiles." Elders, deacons and bishops are consecrated by the laying on of hands. The gift that was in Timothy was given him by prophecy with the laying on of hands by the presbytery. Paul was to remind Timothy to stir up this gift of God. When Paul wrote the Romans, he longed to see them so that "I may impart to you some spiritual gift." That had to be in the laying on of hands or he would not have to see them in person. The Holy Spirit came upon those at Ephesus that Paul would lay hands on and they spoke in tongues and prophesied. Peter and John laid hands upon the Samaritans and they received the Holy Ghost.

At Pentecost, the Holy Spirit was given to the whole group through the spontaneous action of God with tongues of fire resting on each of them. Others receive it through repentance. We stand in prayer lines to be prophesied to and receive the impartation of the Holy Ghost and spiritual gifts. Many in the healing and revival ministries lay on holy hands and many fall back from the power. Many of us report the same experiences when we receive the power, many "slain by the spirit." The simultaneous feeling of peace and power, the tingling sensations and the compulsion to lift up our hands and drink of the spirit, sometimes just a relaxing surrender reassuring us that He is in control, and that His love for us is greater than we will ever be able to comprehend. Many report of the power to stretch out our hands in prayer and spiritual agreement toward others, feeling the virtue and power leaving us through our hands.

</B>The weight of glory commented on by Paul was a spiritual mantle.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mark Downham

A Desert Voice
Sep 15, 2004
✟5,252.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
2 Corinthians 4:16-18.
Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day. 17 For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, 18 while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal

That weight of glory is a spiritual mantle - there are people in this forum who could miss this - it is transforming when it rests on your shoulders - everything changes - you cross over your Jordan.

Mark

Upvote 0

Mark Downham

A Desert Voice
Sep 15, 2004
✟5,252.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Rick

As you can see I am passionate about this - I respect your pastoral authority and your sphere of authority which I hold extends to this forum - but I am addressing you as if we were both holding an Ecumenical Council on the subject - as I too am vested with Episcopal Authority and not by the will of any man.

In the Lord Jesus Christ and in his love.

Mark

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.