Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
Change countries every three years
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think it will help the other thread if we agree on a definition. It is not enough to say "someone who picks and chooses what they want to believe in Catholicism": that is the superficial (and pejorative)definition that is causing all the trouble on the other thread. We need to go deeper.

- Which doctrines does he reject? We all know that someone who rejects the Resurrection, or Transubstantiation, or life after death, is far more than a cafeteria Catholic.

- Why does he reject them? Personal convenience is too simplistic an explanation, and I think you all realise it.

- And why does he choose to remain a Catholic nevertheless? That is the question least often asked, yet I think it is important.

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Your question is problematic in that a Cafeteria Catholic cannot easily be defined. There are those that use the term to label others, and there are those that have been labeled by it. I don't know anyone that would willingly self identify as a Cafeteria Catholic on a consistent basis, so you would get myriad definitions

The question should rather be, why is the term used at all, as we are all Catholics?

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It should give someone pause to reflect that the very definition of "heretic" is someone who picks and chooses.
Oh really? would you mind citing some official document which uses that definition? I think you are just making it up.

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

stivvy

Senior Veteran
Jun 30, 2006
Hubbard, Ohio
✟21,764.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
It is a term used to define those who don't recognize that they are bound to ALL the rules of the church for a fullness of salvation. For example, a catholic who chooses to disregard that abortion is intrinsically evil. Or one who may say well the church says "I can be called catholic and in union, but I don't think I need to go to church on Sundays or the Holy Days of obligation because I am just not interested or have better things to do..."

We are all guilty of these things to some degree here and there or to some level in our daily walk, but this term is exspecially relevent to those who live their life as a whole by choosing to never follow the "big" and "basic" church laws.

Yes, they "pick and choose" their beliefs and practices to fit their convienence in their lives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟71,032.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You know what ?

Screw this.

I want a definition of what constitutes a devout Catholic.

Is it a Catholic that accepts ALL doctrines blindly and without understanding ?

This kind of Catholic is a Caholic by accident only and might as well (and could be) a member of any cult that struck his fancy.

Is it a Catholic that accepts all doctrines even those he has personal doubts about ?

Then want has become of this conscience ? Is it still well formed ?

How will his conscience convict him before God ?

No, this kind of Catholic is probably just luke warm.

If you clowns are coming after me and my ilk and want to define the term you use to define me, be advise.

I'm a bare knuckle debater who believes the best defense in is a pre-emptive nuclear strike.

(bare knuckle debater a copywrite of davidnc all rights reserved)

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is a term used to define those who don't recognize that they are bound to ALL the rules of the church for a fullness of salvation. For example, a catholic who chooses to disregard that abortion is intrinsically evil. Or one who may say well the church says "I can be called catholic and in union, but I don't think I need to go to church on Sundays or the Holy Days of obligation because I am just not interested or have better things to do..."

We are all guilty of these things to some degree here and there or to some level in our daily walk, but this term is especially relevent to those who live their life as a whole by choosing to never follow the "big" and "basic" church laws.

Yes, they "pick and choose" their beliefs and practices to fit their convienence in their lives.

Agree.

And since those who "pick and choose" what the Church says are what all Catholics are to believe, know what they are doing, does the "why" really matter?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.