newburgh
✟115,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus in Matthew 7:21 says “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.” What is the Will of Our Father? It is that we all be saved, as brought up in John 3:16-17 16. What does it mean that we be saved? In the context of that Verse, it means to have eternal life instead of perishing.

There are two paths to eternal life. One such path is akin to playing the lottery. That path is to simply hope that God, by His Good Graces, will give us eternity with no strings attached, no matter who we are or what we do. Are lottery players required to be and to do anything, other than to pay for a ticket? You might say, ‘Then what is OUR ticket?’ If we go the lottery route to God, our ticket is just being around.

The other path is to do things toward fulfilling God’s Will. This involves the two great commandments of Jesus, which is to devote ourselves to God, and to love each other on that path to such devotion. Devoting ourselves to God is a matter of faith. Loving each other is a matter of works which in turn is one measure of our faith in Him. As James 2:20 says, “Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless?” Where does that come from, in that statement? He says in Verses 14-17, “What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, ‘Go in peace, be warmed and filled,’ without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.” Having read that, would you expect James to hold preachers in high regard if their preaching amounts to telling us to ‘Go in peace and find warmth and prosperity’ without doing anything in that regard to help those he speaks to, who are having difficulty or are not capable of those things? Because if they don’t, then they’re among those Jesus refers to as merely saying “Lord, Lord”!

God’s Will that we be saved is primary. There is a secondary aspect to it, which leads us to fulfilling the primary aspect; that is where doing works comes in. 1 Thessalonians 4:9-12 tells us to work with our hands in the name of brotherly love. If it isn’t clear that merely preaching alone, as described above, does not fulfill God’s Will, 1 Thessalonians 4:9-12 does it more plainly.

Did Jesus’ first disciples merely preach? To the extent the Bible doesn’t say, we have the last Verse of John which tells us that not everything involving Jesus is in the Bible. My guess is their preaching wouldn’t have caught on in the places they visited unless they showed some involvement with the people they were preaching to.

The performance of works in the form of doing things is an essential element toward one’s being saved toward fulfilling the Will of our Father.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus in Matthew 7:21 says “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.” What is the Will of Our Father? It is that we all be saved, as brought up in John 3:16-17 16. What does it mean that we be saved? In the context of that Verse, it means to have eternal life instead of perishing.

There are two paths to eternal life. One such path is akin to playing the lottery. That path is to simply hope that God, by His Good Graces, will give us eternity with no strings attached, no matter who we are or what we do. Are lottery players required to be and to do anything, other than to pay for a ticket? You might say, ‘Then what is OUR ticket?’ If we go the lottery route to God, our ticket is just being around.

The other path is to do things toward fulfilling God’s Will. This involves the two great commandments of Jesus, which is to devote ourselves to God, and to love each other on that path to such devotion. Devoting ourselves to God is a matter of faith. Loving each other is a matter of works which in turn is one measure of our faith in Him. As James 2:20 says, “Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless?” Where does that come from, in that statement? He says in Verses 14-17, “What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, ‘Go in peace, be warmed and filled,’ without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.” Having read that, would you expect James to hold preachers in high regard if their preaching amounts to telling us to ‘Go in peace and find warmth and prosperity’ without doing anything in that regard to help those he speaks to, who are having difficulty or are not capable of those things? Because if they don’t, then they’re among those Jesus refers to as merely saying “Lord, Lord”!

God’s Will that we be saved is primary. There is a secondary aspect to it, which leads us to fulfilling the primary aspect; that is where doing works comes in. 1 Thessalonians 4:9-12 tells us to work with our hands in the name of brotherly love. If it isn’t clear that merely preaching alone, as described above, does not fulfill God’s Will, 1 Thessalonians 4:9-12 does it more plainly.

Did Jesus’ first disciples merely preach? To the extent the Bible doesn’t say, we have the last Verse of John which tells us that not everything involving Jesus is in the Bible. My guess is their preaching wouldn’t have caught on in the places they visited unless they showed some involvement with the people they were preaching to.

The performance of works in the form of doing things is an essential element toward one’s being saved toward fulfilling the Will of our Father.
You quoted Matthew 7:21 but it’s better to include verses 21-27 to get a more comprehensive understanding of Jesus was talking about.

““Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.’ “Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock. Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell—and great was its fall.””
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭7‬:‭21‬-‭27‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-​

This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day. And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.”

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟564,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
John 1:12-13 KJV
12. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13. Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

When it comes to Matt 7 21 context is very much needed. Christ talking there they all were still under the law. Not one Christian there no Church. So the sheep and the goats from what I read and understand is Church gone, great trib just got over Christ comes sets foot on the earth and gathers the nations those that just came out of the great trib..you know the worst time this world has or will ever know. I read the bible and... where do you get "There are two paths to eternal life". Christ said I am the way the truth and the life. No man comes to the Father buy by me. I am sticking with His way.

There is no gambling no luck in getting to heaven. Now if your talking about "if you were blind you would have no sin. You say you see your sin remains." There are millions of millions of people lived and died that never heard of Christ. So I believe they are judged by the light that was in them for we all have His ways written on our hearts so you pick unknowingly His ways or Satan and the worlds way. There is no middle ground here.

There are many that try to add burdens as in to really be saved you must be doing this or that.. yet there is a truth there yet not. John 3:16-17 is true there is but or if written after it. Christ told the 12 when they came back rejoicing that demons were subject unto them "don't rejoice that demons have to listen to you but that your names ARE written in heaven". Then a few years later He tells them if you love me keep my words. Even there its not written "or else your not saved". Salvation comes from GOD not man. Man has no say in just what you have to do to be saved. He does. No matter what you think you believe you must take into account what you see in someone you really never see them. You can't see the heart. We only judge what we see and that is just flesh. He does not judge us based on our flesh.

I am not saved because I do this or that good work. I am born from above because I believe in trust in Jesus Christ. And because of that.. the fruit that comes is not me its Him. Now in some it can take time..others its really fast. We always look at TIME He does not. So His will should be easy. What is the BOOK you have? BIBLE? If GOD said something would not that be His will? Its HIS WORD.

This is what I believe.. not here to teach preach not here to tell you follow my belief. He takes care of His own.. He don't need my help.. only when HE tells me to.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

In Matthew 7:21-23, Jesus contrasted saying only those who do with will of the Father will enter the Kingdom of Heaven with saying that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so we don't need to look at any other verse in the Bible to determine that the will of the Father is to know Him and Jesus through obeying His law and it is straightforward that God has made His will known through what He has commanded.

For supporting verses, in Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to to walk in His way that he might know Him and Israel too, so knowing God and Jesus is the goal of the law, which is eternal life (John 17:3). Likewise in Psalms 40:8, it equates delighting in doing the Father's will with putting His law upon our hearts. In John 3:16-17, it is not saying anything different because God's law is His instructions for how to believe in Jesus, or in other words, God's law is God's word and Jesus is God's word made flesh, so the way to believe in the one who is the embodiment of God's word is by us embodying God's word through following his example. There are many verses like John 6:37-40 that say that believing in Jesus is the way to have eternal life and many verses like Luke 10:25-28 that say that obedience to God is the way to have eternal life, which is again because God has instructed us how to believe in Jesus, so there is only one way to eternal life.

• Friendly
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟133,858.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the context of Matthew 7:21, Jesus is talking with Christians who got fooled by the fake Jesus (false prophet) and subsequently took the mark of the beast. This is consistent with Matthew 7:15-23 and the parable of the wise and foolish virgins in Matthew 25:1-13. Also consistent with Matthew 25:31-46, where the ones rejected simply took the mark.

Half of all Christians will be fooled by the fake Jesus (false prophet) and take the mark of the beast. That is one convincing fake Jesus. Yes, the name of the false prophet is Jesus.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Faith in the Son and obedience to the word of God.

Upvote 0

newton3005

Jun 29, 2019
newburgh
✟115,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When it comes to Matt 7 21 context is very much needed.
***Here is Matthew 7:21and Matthew 7:22-23 that follow: “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons vin your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’ Seems that Verses 22-23 need not be mentioned to the extent that Jesus says only those that do God’s Will out of their love for Him, will enter His Kingdom.

These people, who are described in Verses 22-23 know who they are. They are using God’s Name to attract attention for their own purposes, not to further God’s Glory through love. Their mentioning God’s Name without showing the devotion to God, is not furthering God’s Glory through love. Their mentioning God’s Name without themselves even doing what they are asking others to do in God’s Name does not further God’s Glory through love. Are they any different from a preacher who merely stands back from the people and professes God’s Glory as he knows it, without a genuine love of Him and without partaking in the things he himself is calling on others to do, as they collect money out of the figurative plate that is passed around, perhaps? Does anyone wonder why so many people have stopped going to church, and instead pray amongst themselves or alone in a room?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟564,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The ultimate will of God in this day for all humankind:

John 6:37-40 KJV
37. All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
38. For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.
39. And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
40. And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

This gets you into the life. If you do not have this, nothing else matters.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The ultimate will of God in this day for all humankind:

John 6:37-40 KJV
37. All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
38. For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.
39. And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
40. And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

This gets you into the life. If you do not have this, nothing else matters.
So true, but a lot of us dropped the ball on the Love your Neighbor part judging from the tribalistic fighting going on between groups today. We'd rather wrestle against flesh than attack the system. Sadly last year I popped my head out and remembered Eph 6 in the closet after finding out about health and the economy both designed to create pain for our neighbors. Peace

Upvote 0