• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

What I found in regards to sexual assault and the victim's virginity.

DevinCamary

May 12, 2018
Private
✟15,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So... as some of you know, I was sexually abused before. Years ago I was groped/raped on one occasion, and in another, groomed into sharing explicit photos of me doing things to myself, which could also be considered rape..

Years later, I still get extremely depressed and suicidal from it. But... it's been at a decline and a friend showed me something.

He, a bible scholar, and another friend, who also experienced very similar things, discussed with me bible verses, their original context, and it... helped shape a picture that kinda contradicts many other Christian's views, but...

God sees sex abuse/assault victims as virgin. Theres no difference between a victim of rape and any other virgin who hasnt. First, two bible verses, and second, an analogy.

deut 22:25-27 and 1 samuel 16:7.

Deut 22:25-27 is the only case about what should happen to a rapist. He is to be taken out and stoned, but nothing will happen to the victim because she is innocent and clean. She or he had been hurt deeply but she is innocent of everything. (The next verse after, some modern translations say "rape" but the other original translations say seduce. I follow the kjv translation)

And 1 samuel 16:7 tells us how God looks at us from a spiritual level and man judges from the physical.

And an analogy I found. Its... like skiing. I guess.

You would be at the top of a mountain, and someone pushed you down, you rolled down and were gravely hurt. Did you go skiing, does this count as skiing, or does this count as your first time skiing? No. Not at all. Will it hurt horribly and scare you? Most definetly. But once someone does shows you skiing and you actually do it... it's a lot different.
It's the same for sex. Even if someone physically assaulted you, it didnt count. It doesnt affect your spirit, God sees that this wouldnt count, and that he will "restore" you and punish the evil doer.

So... yeah, that's what I've been lead to believe. That sexual assault and abuse doesnt count, that victims of sexual abuse and assault are virgin in God's eyes, you are innocent, and you are loved. (And anyone who devalues you for being abused or assaulted, or says that it does count, that rape does take away virginity, that is not God but Satan. Aatan's plan is an attempt to destroy and kill as many as possible before judgement day, be it through violence, assault, and tricking other "christians" into hurting those who need help, and nearly driving them to suicide... like what I've gotten in past forums when I needed help.)

So.... that's my experience and what I've been lead to believe through bible verses. And found that analogy on the subject later... so... hopefully this helps someone like it helped me... I hope.

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Having been molested as a young teen (and not recognizing it until later), I recommend seeking out "inner healing," too.

These churches are good about that sort of thing,

Upvote 0

DevinCamary

May 12, 2018
Private
✟15,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Having been molested as a young teen (and not recognizing it until later), I recommend seeking out "inner healing," too.

These churches are good about that sort of thing,
Erm... inner healing...? I already stated what I found when it comes to God and how he views virgins after sexual assault... unless you have something that counters this...

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Erm... inner healing...? I already stated what I found when it comes to God and how he views virgins after sexual assault... unless you have something that counters this...
I am not countering your innocence. I am saying that having the correct answer, on paper, doesn't address the emotional and spiritual effects of being violated. (If your rapist would have given you an STD, for example, you would still be innocent, but you would have to address the STD, too.)

Upvote 0

DevinCamary

May 12, 2018
Private
✟15,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not countering your innocence. I am saying that having the correct answer, on paper, doesn't address the emotional and spiritual effects of being violated. (If your rapist would have given you an STD, for example, you would still be innocent, but you would have to address the STD, too.)
I see... sorry I lashed out a bit

• Friendly
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

DevinCamary

May 12, 2018
Private
✟15,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I still uphold the findings here, which were brought up by friends and my previous pastor, who is a bible scholar.

In the older translations like KJV, in deuteronomy, the verse with "take hold and force and lie" says the rapist is put to death but the woman shall not be touched, for she is innocent.

The verse right after where it says "take hold and lie" has the man pay 50 shekels and marry the girl.

The latter verse is the controversial one where people thing rape victims marry their rapists... which is not true. The verse before says "force" while the other doesnt. One was a rape, and the other, which is a copy of a law Moses said in Exodus, is seduction. So, what does this got to do with virginity?

Back then, jews saw virginity as the most valuable thing a woman had, and if she lost it, she would either have to be paid by the man she had it with, or marry said man. But with the rape, she isnt paid anything. Which means she had not lost her "value" and she had not lost her virginity. She is as much of a virgin as any other virgin would be.

Upvote 0