Orlando, Florida
✟45,021.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have so often heard uttered at funerals, 'He or She is in heaven now'.

Is that really what happens when we die?

For I have also heard those that KNEW that the person that died was totally 'anti Christ', "He or she is in heaven with God now". So regardless of one's beliefs about what happens to us when we die, certainly this doesn't pertain to those who will be judged according to 'death'. Certainly 'they' won't be in heaven with God.

But what does the Bible offer concerning 'death' of the 'body'? When we die, (or flesh), what happens to our Spirit or 'soul'?

Blessings,

MEC

Reactions: DennisTate

NonTheologian

Feb 24, 2016
Dallas
✟639.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

For I have also heard those that KNEW that the person that died was totally 'anti Christ', "He or she is in heaven with God now". So regardless of one's beliefs about what happens to us when we die, certainly this doesn't pertain to those who will be judged according to 'death'. Certainly 'they' won't be in heaven with God.

But what does the Bible offer concerning 'death' of the 'body'? When we die, (or flesh), what happens to our Spirit or 'soul'?

Blessings,

MEC

There is a theological opinion - theologoumena, not dogma - that at the end of our lives we will pass through a series of trials, wherein demons will accuse us of the various sins we committed during our life. Various persons throughout the centuries have related similar experiences, dating back to the martyr Eustratius in the 3rd century. One such account can be found here: http://orthodoxinfo.com/death/theodora.aspx

There is no doctrine of purgatory within the Orthodox Church and, as I mentioned, the tollhouse accounts are opinion not dogma, but since you asked, I thought I would share.

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
There is a theological opinion - theologoumena, not dogma - that at the end of our lives we will pass through a series of trials, wherein demons will accuse us of the various sins we committed during our life. Various persons throughout the centuries have related similar experiences, dating back to the martyr Eustratius in the 3rd century. One such account can be found here: http://orthodoxinfo.com/death/theodora.aspx

There is no doctrine of purgatory within the Orthodox Church and, as I mentioned, the tollhouse accounts are opinion not dogma, but since you asked, I thought I would share.

Toll houses are scarier than purgatory. I believe the RCC dogmatized purgatory to try to answer this dosturbing wuestion of eschatology without reference to the Toll House idea.

By the way, the only prominent Orthodox figure I can think of who is on record as rejecting toll houses is Archbishop Lazar Puhalo, who is not precisely a mainstream figure. On the other hand, most mainstream Orthodox don't explicitly stress toll houses, either.

For my part, celestial passport control does seem a dismaying concept, but what can we do.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Blessings,

MEC

The Spirit is instantly united with those of like faith, in Heaven.

Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What does the word 'rest' mean in the Bible?

Blessings,

MEC
Why couldn't it mean either a euphemism (looks peaceful-like sleep or resting) or a comparison between the suffering of this life and "paradise". That we do not know details exactly should not be cause to doubt what we have been shown - departed souls speaking, aware and expressing desires, or carrying on conversation with the living. I would agree those in Hell do not appear to be resting.

Our expressions, what we hear at funerals is for the living, and typically I would think most attending would not want to here that the departed are burning in Hell or might be. But if the point is could they be, well sure but how would we know. Some Pastors and speakers are more precise with words, they speak of our "hope" for the departed - which is really all we can be certain of.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok, so we have a couple of different answers.

But what does the Bible offer concerning the time between 'dying' and 'judgement'?

Blessings,

MEC

As a Christian you go to Heaven, never anywhere else. While there, at the Judgment Seat of Christ, what you have done in telling others about Jesus will be reviewed. You'll receive rewards for those times when you shared His Good News. There is no punishment. There is no "time" involved. It is instantaneous.

Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,932.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I have so often heard uttered at funerals, 'He or She is in expanse now'.

For I have also heard those that KNEW that the person that died was totally 'anti MM', "He or she is in expanse with gduty now". So regardless of one's beliefs about what happens to us when we die, certainly this doesn't pertain to those who will be judged according to 'death'. Certainly 'they' won't be in expanse with gduty.

But what does the thebook offer concerning 'death' of the 'body'? When we die, (or flesh), what happens to our Spirit or 'soul'?

Blessings,

MEC

When we die, we are resolved into our families.

Because we are not entirely individuals, we are part of a much much bigger sum, a body, a church. A part of us lay dormant in the soil with our dead bodies, in the form of preserved DNA in our blood, awaiting resurrection.

Therefore, part of us lay dormant in the soil, part of us remain alive in our families in the genes and memories like in a computer memory.

We are not individuals. All people who have ever lived, they are all alive today or at least, a part of them and of course, they don't have recollection of past memories apart from dreams.

No one goes to the right hand of Christ until the day of judgement. Within that period you are either dormant or back to the mundane life you have always lived or both.

what about NDE's? They are the dying brain's last ditch efforts to try to save itself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Imagican

old dude
Jan 14, 2006
Orlando, Florida
✟45,021.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

That's 'scary'.

Blessings,

MEC

Upvote 0

Imagican

old dude
Jan 14, 2006
Orlando, Florida
✟45,021.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why couldn't it mean either a euphemism (looks peaceful-like sleep or resting) or a comparison between the suffering of this life and "paradise". That we do not know details exactly should not be cause to doubt what we have been shown - departed souls speaking, aware and expressing desires, or carrying on conversation with the living. I would agree those in Hell do not appear to be resting.

Our expressions, what we hear at funerals is for the living, and typically I would think most attending would not want to here that the departed are burning in Hell or might be. But if the point is could they be, well sure but how would we know. Some Pastors and speakers are more precise with words, they speak of our "hope" for the departed - which is really all we can be certain of.

It could indeed be 'symbolic' of something resembling 'another state'.

But to 'rest' usually indicates a time of 'doing nothing' other than recuperating. Like God's Sabbath, 'no work'.

Then let us also consider the word: "sleep".

Surely when one 'sleeps' it would be difficult to compare this to 'death'. Unless, when our bodies die, our soul goes to 'sleep'? For I would offer that only at the very beginning of death would one's body 'look' like it's asleep. Shortly after death, it's appearance would certainly look 'different' than one 'sleeping'. And it's obvious that men have recognized since long before the Bible was composed that bodies 'decay' once dead.

So would the writers of the Bible really use the word 'sleep' in the same manner as death?

Blessings,

MEC

Upvote 0

Imagican

old dude
Jan 14, 2006
Orlando, Florida
✟45,021.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When we die, we are resolved into our families.

Because we are not entirely individuals, we are part of a much much bigger sum, a body, a church. A part of us lay dormant in the soil with our dead bodies, in the form of preserved DNA in our blood, awaiting resurrection.

Therefore, part of us lay dormant in the soil, part of us remain alive in our families in the genes and memories like in a computer memory.

We are not individuals. All people who have ever lived, they are all alive today or at least, a part of them and of course, they don't have recollection of past memories apart from dreams.

No one goes to the right hand of Christ until the day of judgement. Within that period you are either dormant or back to the mundane life you have always lived or both.

what about NDE's? They are the dying brain's last ditch efforts to try to save itself.

Uh................ Wow?

That's certainly 'different'. At least from my perspective of what we are offered in the Bible. Never really caught 'all that'.

But I can say that it sounds a bit "Eastern" so far as the reincarnation part.

I know an 'Indian' lady I have done work for. She's Hindu. We have talked quite a bit about religion. She has similar views so far as death is concerned.

Interesting.

Blessings,

MEC

Upvote 0

Imagican

old dude
Jan 14, 2006
Orlando, Florida
✟45,021.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But wouldn't it make more sense if one's soul 'continues on' after the body dies that the 'rest' referred to in the Bible would be a 'time of separation' from 'this life'?

And yet we are told that 'judgment' won't take place until after the return of Christ. And then another 1000 years.

So what takes place between 'rest' and 'judgement'. From the moment that we die, till 'that day' in which 'judgement' takes place?

Some have indicated that 'judgement' takes place immediately. If you are one of them, please show us where the Bible indicates that we face judgment immediately after our bodies die.

For the Bible tells us that David 'still sleeps'. Indicates that 'almost' very human that has ever lived and dies 'sleeps' until 'judgement'.

So where is the information offered in the Bible that we face immediate 'judgement'?

Blessings,

MEC

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It could indeed be 'symbolic' of something resembling 'another state'.

But to 'rest' usually indicates a time of 'doing nothing' other than recuperating. Like God's Sabbath, 'no work'.

Then let us also consider the word: "sleep".

Surely when one 'sleeps' it would be difficult to compare this to 'death'. Unless, when our bodies die, our soul goes to 'sleep'? For I would offer that only at the very beginning of death would one's body 'look' like it's asleep. Shortly after death, it's appearance would certainly look 'different' than one 'sleeping'. And it's obvious that men have recognized since long before the Bible was composed that bodies 'decay' once dead.

So would the writers of the Bible really use the word 'sleep' in the same manner as death?

Blessings,

MEC
At the funerals I have been to people typically do not like to think about what their loved one's body will look like years from now. So yes, resting is a euphemism that people often use - and it compliments the idea/hope of a better existence also. Combine that thought with very ancient beliefs in a two fates after death, one for the good and one for the bad - one pleasant the other not. So the idea for the living is that they HOPE their loved one is "resting" peacefully now.

The problem is the same book shows us dead people very much aware and doing things. So to me the idea of soul sleep is incompatible with such depictions. As I said, the newly dead can look like they are resting/sleeping. Especially peaceful if the eyes/mouths are closed and they are cleaned up - which even before funeral parlors people often did "prepare" the body to help foster that hope we talk about for the living mourners of that death. And taking care of our dead and their loved ones is the right thing to do.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,932.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Uh................ Wow?

That's certainly 'different'. At least from my perspective of what we are offered in the Bible. Never really caught 'all that'.

But I can say that it sounds a bit "Eastern" so far as the reincarnation part.

I know an 'Indian' lady I have done work for. She's Hindu. We have talked quite a bit about religion. She has similar views so far as death is concerned.

Interesting.

Blessings,

MEC

I figured it out from experience. Something about a persistent dream that was quite unique because it had no parallel anywhere. But I was looking at the wrong time.

The dream pointed me to a place and time and there I found a person exactly like me today. And then there's another dream and the dream once again pointed to another person who was born after the first one had died who is also like me.

I think it's important that I try to remember them so that I could built upon their knowledge.

It could be biblical if we look at it in the context of John 6:63 - the flesh counts for nothing.

If the flesh counts for nothing, if it dies, does it matter at all? And what about the "living" whom Jesus called "dead"?

And why did Jesus said, "Let the "dead" bury their dead"? And what about John the Beloved did he never die? Was it literal or in the context of rebirth/reconstitution?

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Boy. I can only wish. My 'rest' is rarely even peaceful. Much less perfectly peaceful.

Blessings,

MEC

Perfect peace is ours when we 'rest' in Him. When do we 'rest,' perfectly? In Heaven. How do we get there? John 14:6, John 3:16-17, John 5:24, Romans 10:8-13.

His Love is perfected in us. We are made the Righteousness of God in Him. Why? So that we have absolute assurance at the Judgment Seat of Christ. His Love replaces any and all of our fears. We will not stand before Him trembling, but in Love. His perfect Love casts out anything, everything, resembling fear. At the JSoC our ministry in this life is laid out before Him. What did we do to present, represent, share, announce, bring forth the Truth of God's Word? When/where did we have the opportunity to do that, but failed? Our ministry is judged for rewards; we are reminded of our failures, but our eternal security in Him is ours from the moment we confess Him as Savior, right through seeing Him in Heaven. Read your Bible! Romans 8:1!

Our confidence, "No condemnation," in that passage means calm, confident assurance, cheerfulness, boldness. We were and are placed on a Divine, Spiritual Pathway to Heaven. He sustains us there, Hallelujah!

How and Why?

Jesus already paid the price for our sin/sins. No more payments. No balance due.

Read your Bible!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Blessings,

MEC

2 Corinthians 5:7-8 "For we walk by faith, not by sight, and we are confident and satisfied to be out of the body and at home with the Lord." Hebrews 9:27 "And just as it is appointed for people to die once-and after this, judgment."

I have done a number of funerals, and thesis are two verses I always use. I also use Psalm 139 and Psalm 23.
I think Psalm 139:13-16 are often a great comfort to many believers.

Now I believe we all have some fear of death, as I think it is a normal thing for us all. Death is something we have not experienced and there is a natural fear. When I struggle with my own thoughts and have some fear of what death is like
I turn to Hebrews 2:14.15 "Now since the children have flesh and blood in common, Jesus also shared in these, so through His death He might destroy the one holding the power of death-that is the Devil-and free those who were held in slavery all their lives by the fear of death." All these verses are form the Holman Christian Standard Bible 2009.

I like most people at times wrestle with my thoughts of what it will like to die. I fear the pain I most likely will endure, I think and hope I will just slip away in my sleep, but that's is in Jesus hands. It is important to remember we do in fact walk and live by faith, and we also do our dying by faith as well. But I rest that Jesus is with me always Matthew 28;20.

I hope this answeions. If not I would be glad to submit more if you like.

Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

random person

1 COR. 10:11; HEB. 1:2; HEB. 9:26,28; 1 PET. 1:20
Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
heaven - resurrection

< revelation 14:13, 1 peter 1:4 >

1 corinthians 15:54-56, 2 corinthians 3:7, daniel 12:2-7 >

revelation 6:9-11, hebrews 9:8, revelation 15:8 >

hebrews 9:28, 1 corinthians 15:50, revelation 20:4 >

> daniel 12:7, matthew 24:34, luke 21:32

> deuteronomy 32, revelation 15:3, daniel 12:2, acts of the apostles 24:14-15, acts of the apostles 26:6-8

<matthew 5:17-18>

Last edited:
Reactions: yellowastra
Upvote 0