Tiga Ronso

Aug 21, 2003
Visit site
✟7,834.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I come back after about a week and still no luck. I have finally decided to do something about it. I feel there should be a list of games that we as "Christians" should not play. Since there are so many different opinions, I have had it and feel that we should put this matter to rest. Be prepared though, that if you do post a game, you must bring up solid evidence about why it should be on the list. Not just Bible verses, but physical evidence as well.

Livinloud316

Trekkie Extraordinaire
Dec 27, 2003
Portland, Oregon
Visit site
✟15,396.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think you CAN say "you can't play so-and-so game because it's evil." I'm an avid PC gamer, what I enjoy most is RPGs and strategy based fighting games. there is nothing at all wrong with these games, as long as they are just a form of entertainment. it's when they become something more that there becomes a problem. for some people, games can become far too important to them, they can have almost take over your life. this WILL NOT happen to most gamers, so i think it's really nothing to worry about.

Reactions: jsrlepage
Upvote 0

TwinCrier

Double Blessed and spreading the gospel
Oct 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟24,778.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As a general rule, anything that causes you to sin. If the game has violence and near nudity in it, you have to ask, "Is this what God wants me doing with my spare time?" If it takes over your life to the point where you choose your game over spending time with friends and family, it obviously isn't a good influence in your life.

Upvote 0

jsrlepage

Christian? Atheist? Both.
Dec 27, 2003
✟7,619.00
Faith
Atheist
i am deeply sorry if i say something offensive (i am not sure whether I still am christian or on the edge of atheism), but have you tried telling yourself that "It is a GAME. Only a GAME. Virtual zeroes and ones assembled to create Computer-Generated Images".

This is a realm in which God (or some'n like that) has no control - at least I think, being a long-run "geek" AND newb-programmer.

If i offend some of you, please drop an IM in my inbox ;-)

Upvote 0

jsrlepage

Dec 27, 2003
✟7,619.00
Faith
Atheist
but to stay in the subject... I don't think so-called "violent" games should be prohibited. Some help people to "unleash" their anger on a computer mouse than on fellows. Some even make you laugh doing it - hey, don't mess up my words, cause i'm talking about the Team17's Worms franchise. I don't really see any violence in killing WORMS with banana bombs ;-)

And I forbid you to forbid Dance Dance Revolution. Exercise for Geeks - GOD! THANK YE!

Upvote 0

Tiga Ronso

Aug 21, 2003
Visit site
✟7,834.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting answers is all I can say. I agree with most of you in that these are only games, and like one said that violent games help me deal with the stress of school, work, and home. Finally, I agree that if you feel that God does not want you to play a certain game, then you shouldn't play it.

Upvote 0

CHR15T05

Christian Fundamentalist
Nov 15, 2003
✟15,602.00
Faith
Christian
jsrlepage said:
i am deeply sorry if i say something offensive (i am not sure whether I still am christian or on the edge of atheism), but have you tried telling yourself that "It is a GAME. Only a GAME. Virtual zeroes and ones assembled to create Computer-Generated Images".

This is a realm in which God (or some'n like that) has no control - at least I think, being a long-run "geek" AND newb-programmer.

If i offend some of you, please drop an IM in my inbox ;-)

Not offended in the least but I must point out that God does have control even in the digital realm. If He didn't, He wouldn't be all powerful now would He?

Of course I understand that you are borderline atheist but when contemplating the existence of God (as you have in your argument), by definition He/Her/it, is all powerful in all realms. If not, He/Her/it, fails to be "god" and is reduced to "a god" or "spirital being" or some other inexplicable "thing", and not the all powerful, omni-present creator of "all things".

Sorry this is off the topic, but I couldnt let someone say that there was a place in which God has no control.

As for the subject in hand...... no I cant be botherd. This subject has been debated over and over and over. Look in the other threads.

Upvote 0

jsrlepage

Dec 27, 2003
✟7,619.00
Faith
Atheist
god (blah) has control over the digital realm now, does he?

did he create the computer appliance? I think he did not. i think that WE have created computers, as such WE are able to control "our creation". How do you explain inventions, if there was the idea before? (thank goodness for those philo courses!)

ow man, i'm out of these forums... existentialist and border-atheist as i am, I may destroy something here. 00ps.

cya, and dump me an e-mail if some of my points offend or interest you.

i am sorry, but I am a conceptions challenger. where there is old traditions, I challenge the ideas. sorry again and good-bye.

Upvote 0

ghost_on_fire

bunky, funky, jesus junky
Nov 22, 2003
BJU dormroom
✟293.00
Faith
Christian
Okay, I will start the list:

1. Manhunt
2. Any 3D Grand Theft Auto
3. Resident Evil (all)
4. Legacy of Kain: Defiance
5. Maybe the new Ninja Gaiden
6. Guilty Gear X and X2
7. Castlevania PS2
8. Anything Spawn (game or not)
9. Magic The Gathering Battlegrounds
10. Dead or Alive: Extreme Beach Volleyball
11. Bloodrayne

those are the games I would think a Christian should not play. It's my opinion. I can already see you guys saying, "Well, you can't say I can't play this or that game, God can use all things together for good."
Ok, I can see where you're coming from, but shouldn't we draw the line somewere? Is there anything bad enough for someone to stand up and say that that game is to bad for ANYONE to play?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tiga Ronso

Aug 21, 2003
Visit site
✟7,834.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, now for the physical evidence. Remember, you must have physical proof as well as Bible verses to post a game. The only one I can say might be on that list, and I mean might would be Spawn. But then again, Spawn does fight for good, so its not exactly black and white.

Upvote 0
I used to be into Role Playing Games / Dungeons and Dragons - before computers were powerful enough to make simulations of that sort of stuff. I threw out my RPG/D&D stuff around 1992. I have thought a lot about the morality of games and I have thought about making a game that is morally acceptable as well.

I think there are so many games out there that it is more useful to talk about guidelines for when a game is wrong or acceptable. Here are some guidelines I would like to suggest:

There are levels of evil in games:

6. The most evil games tend to start with what looks like an innocent game but they lead some of the gamers into witchcraft, psychic powers, false gods, and satanism. Example: Dungeons & Dragons - eventually they added an entire book on false gods for the players characters to take on. Modern false gods and the true Christ God were omitted. The game makes heavy use of magic - and this came make a game interesting but it can also lead into people experimenting with trying to do real evil magic against somebody.

5. The next most evil games do not involve witchcraft, psychic powers, false gods, or satanism; but they are very focused on graphic violence and/or sexual fantasy images. This could lead a player into real violence and/or inappropriate contentography.

4. The next level of games have only non-graphic violence and no sexual imagery, no false gods, no satanism, no witchcraft, and no psychic powers; however the theme of the game is still warlike. An example might be a game where the gamer is playing the role of general for a war against the bad guys that it is okay to kill. Such a game is not too bad but it could encourage the player to believe that war is good when it generally is not good at all.

3. The next level is like 4 only more innocent - Pac Man eating his enemies, Mario bros getting attacked and losing a life. This is about the level that I tend to use.

I think it is important to teach children that even though killing is fun and okay in a game, in reality it is not fun at all and can lead to a lifetime of regrets.

I have thought about making a game that is even better - the theme is a paintball game simulation in zero gravity. But the paint is used not to simulate killing the opponent but rather to paint them a different color and thus "convert" them to a different team where each team has a color. It is better than many games because it is a conversion game rather than a kill game, somewhat like Christianity and converting unbelievers rather than killing them.

Upvote 0
More possible guidelines for games:

1. At times with some games there could be a moderation issue:Food is good for us, but if we eat too much we become fat. Food is good in moderation. Thus some games could be acceptable if played in moderation, but if a person plays to much, to many hours per week or something, the game may be an addiction or obsession for them, and this could be a problem. Or it may not be - it seems okay for basketball stars to play basketball constantly but for somebody to play some witchcraft related game constantly is a problem. In any case the amount of time put into a game could be an issue.

2. Another issue is attitude. Our attitude matters with everything we do, including games. If a person finds themselves delighting in the evil of killing simulated creatures over and over, they could have a problem. They may be working out an anger issue in their life - maybe somebody hurt them, and they get even in simulation over and over, rather than confessing their anger and forgiving and getting rid of the anger so they can enjoy peace with God. An ongoing attitude problem in a game could be an issue at times for some people.

Upvote 0

AcousticHxC

Nov 28, 2003
Killa Cali Westside
✟7,713.00
Faith
Non-Denom
You can't block out everything that seems mildly questionable. Not everything should be taken at it's face value. Lord of the Ring is a good example. These books involve magic (and not just magic as the opposing force, but as a good force) and mind tricks. It involves killing, undead creatures, etc. Does that mean that we shouldn't read them because they might not be 100% Godly? Those books were written by a Christian, J.R.R. Tolkein (and for those who don't already know, he was a trusted friend of C.S. Lewis, one of the greatest Christian authors ever). If the series was written by a non-Christian, I assure you there would be tons of Christians claiming it to be evil (some still do). Magic in a book or game like Final Fantasy does not mean calling upon satanic powers, it's just something created to make it more interesting. Now games like Sacrifice, where you use magic to sacrifice creatures to false gods, is a different story. But every mention of magic and violence is not always bad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
pgp_protector said:
Better Question.

What game out there is 100% in line with what the bible teaches ?

If the game is not 100% in line with what the bible teaches should you be playing it ?
Can you name a game that you believe is 100% in line with what the Bible teaches?

---

Okay I see I posted this just after you posted your explanation. Yes Bible Trivia is a good game.

Upvote 0
AcousticHxC said:
You can't block out everything that seems mildly questionable. .... Lord of the Ring is a good example. These books involve magic (and not just magic as the opposing force, but as a good force) and mind tricks. It involves killing, undead creatures, etc. Does that mean that we shouldn't read them because they might not be 100% Godly? Those books were written by a Christian, J.R.R. Tolkein...
I am not going to stop you from playing a game involving magic, but all I am saying is that you don't play such as game out of your desire to please God, you play it out of your old nature desire for entertainment. People today seem to have an insatiable appetite for entertainment, fun and games, and mostly people really could care less if it is good or bad. When you give that area of your life over to God than you can live with the more limited selection of Godly games. As to Tolkein's Lord of the Rings - I read that book series before I became a Christian. Now I look back and it and wonder what exactly is so Christian about these books? The major theme in Christianity is converting the bad guys instead of killing them, but Rings books are all about killing - a terrible series of books. Try reading books about true stories of Christians and their faith journeys and good works - fascinating and much more likely to be life changing in a good way.

Upvote 0

Tiga Ronso

Aug 21, 2003
Visit site
✟7,834.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Again, I must ask for physical evidence for anything that you consider. Another thing, I am hurt that you would consider Lord of the Rings to be terrible. I have seen all 3 movies and am about halfway through the first book, and I must say that it is one of my favorite books. Also, reading books about Chrstians is interesting sometimes, but variety is the spice of life and if we read nothing but the same thing over and over again, then we would get bored rather quickly. Finally, a book or story does not have to come right out and say its Christian to be Christian. Sometimes the fun is to find the themes in movies and books and even games.

Upvote 0

CHR15T05

Christian Fundamentalist
Nov 15, 2003
✟15,602.00
Faith
Christian
When I was in Bible College, I took along my Atari Jaguar and played DooM in the study in my own time.

A college admin was told that I was playing "Adult games".

He approuched me and talked to be about it and simply said "I wont stop you, it's between you and God, just dont drag anyone else into it."

I'm assuming with the title "Adult Games" he assumed it had inappropriate content content.

But his words still stand. "It's between you and God."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.