What does this verse mean? Was Paul a liar?

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Irony has as much difficulty piercing the veil of time and cultural differences in scripture as it does getting through internet posts. Koine Greek clearly needed emoticons.

Or have a valley talk interpreter:

Then she would explain by shooting out the VT version:

16Be that as it may, I have not been a burden to you. Yet, crafty fellow that I am, I caught you by trickery!

Yeah, riiii-ght!

There's also a joke (that as far as I know can be applied to other languages as well with similar constructions; the Greek equivalent «Ναι, καλά» comes to mind for some strange reason :) where the teacher explains that there are times and languages where a double-negative has positive meaning ("Can't say I didn't see you") or it can keep a negative meaning ("Haven't done nothin!"), but there is no known case of a double-positive having a negative meaning, at which point the smart-alec of the class says:

“Yeah, right.”

"Yeah Right" expression

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
it is always better to read more of what the Bible actually says, than what others might say about what it does! We need God the Holy Spirit grant us understanding as we read His Word.
Amen!

Col 1:9
For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you,
and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;
1Co 2:13
These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches,
comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Isn't sarcasm a form of lying? I actually avoid using sarcasm, of course, not 100% I hope God forgives me for such mistakes.

I think sarcasm isn't a form of lying at all. It is simply one form of communicating.

Upvote 0

Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The bible IS the Word of God.

No. The Bible contains the words of prophets who wrote inspired by the Holy Spirit. It also contains the words of the Word. We don't have the originals of the OT and NT books. We have translated, added, deleted, misinterpreted words now. The will and way of God can be realized through these writings with the help of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,944.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Sarcasm and irony are the opposite of lying.

Sarcasms and parables or metaphors, hyperbole, etc can all be misleading to some degree.

This is why Jesus explicitly explained why He uses them for certain audiences and told His disciples what they meant so that misinterpretation can be avoided or minimized.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No. The Bible contains the words of prophets who wrote inspired by the Holy Spirit. It also contains the words of the Word. We don't have the originals of the OT and NT books. We have translated, added, deleted, misinterpreted words now.

Given the wide range of manuscripts, we can be certain that our Greek text of the NT is very, very close to the original. That Greek text can be read by anyone who reads Greek. For those who don't, there are high-quality translations.

The Bible is the word of God.

• Agree
Reactions: kw5kw
Upvote 0

Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Given the wide range of manuscripts, we can be certain that our Greek text of the NT is very, very close to the original. That Greek text can be read by anyone who reads Greek. For those who don't, there are high-quality translations.

The Bible is the word of God.

Bible contains the inspired words of God. Their interpretations are effective and correct with the help of the Holy Spirit.

• Agree
Reactions: Denadii
Upvote 0