• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Featured What does the Bible teach about a wife being abused?

Discussion in '"My Two Cents Worth"' started by Daniel Marsh, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Daniel Marsh

Daniel Marsh Well-Known Member

+1,376
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    What does the Bible teach about a wife being abused?

How does it relate to our culture?

Proverbs 22:10 ESV
    Drive out a scoffer, and strife will go out, and quarreling and abuse will cease.

Psalm 9:9 ESV
    The Lord is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.

Psalm 11:5 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
    5 The Lord examines those who are good and those who are wicked;
    he hates those who enjoy hurting others.

The scriptures in the following needs to be checked.

" The Bible views all forms of domestic violence as sin (Malachi 2:16-17; Psalm 11:5; Colossians 3:19), including verbal abuse (Prov. 12:18; Prov. 18:21; Colossians 3:8), and exhorts us to protect ourselves from violent people (Proverbs 27:12; Prov. 11:9). Even in troubled relationships were one is provoked, the Bible speaks out against responding with violence (Ephesians 4:26; Luke 6:45). Furthermore, God’s heart is to deliver the abused (Psalm 5, 7, 10, 140; Acts 14:5). Any form of abuse, then, is unacceptable behavior which directly defies God’s calling for Christ-followers to relate to each other in love. The person who abuses is sinning, the victim who wants to leave, is not in sin. While not everyone has the ability to leave an abusive partner, it is not wrong to attempt to do so if possible, the Bible encourages victims to seek safety (Proverbs 22:3 and 27:12; 1 Samuel 20; Luke 4:28-29; Acts 9:23-25; Matthew 18:15-17)." Restored Relationships

"Husbands are commanded, “Love your wives, and do not be harsh with them” (Colossians 3:19). They are told to “love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it” (Ephesians 5:28–29). The focus of a husband’s Christlikeness in loving his wife is “love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her” (Ephesians 5:25)."
    Clarifying Words on Wife Abuse

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+10,719
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    A bishop is chosen not only to instruct but to be an example to the laymen.

1Ti 3:1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
    1Ti 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
    1Ti 3:3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

OF good behaviour and no striker

Tit 1:6 If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.
    Tit 1:7 For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;

No striker

G4141
    πλήσσω
    plēssō
    place'-so
    Apparently another form of G4111 (through the idea of flattening out); to pound, that is, (figuratively) to inflict with (calamity): - smite.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+7,431
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Some men use kindness and attention as a device to control women.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  4. lismore

lismore Legend

+2,186
    Christian
    Single
    There are many wolves in sheep's clothing around in these last days. As Paul said to Timothy 'Mark well in the last days dangerous times will come'.

We should encourage people to seek the Lord and pray fervently before committing to a marriage relationship. 'You will seek me and you will find me when you seek me with all your heart' the Lord says.

The ideal position with an abusive relationship is to avoid it in the first place by moving into a relationship only on the express direction of the Lord.

God Bless :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  5. Daniel Marsh

+1,376
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    That was top secret in the Men's Intelligence Network. Please, don't let the Women's Intelligence Network know.

Another secret that has been getting out is, If your wife wants you to do something you don't like doing do it wrong enough times and she will stop asking you to do that.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  6. crossnote

crossnote Berean Supporter

+1,206
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I believe verses that are close to the topic would be...

(1Co 7:13) And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

(1Co 7:15) But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

I have a hard time believing that a 'striker' would be a true believer. But if so, then perhaps these verses would be à propos...

(1Co 7:10) And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:
    (1Co 7:11) But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.

7. Daniel Marsh

+1,376
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican

How do you know it is express direction of the Lord?

8. Daniel Marsh

+1,376
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican

How do you know it is express direction of the Lord?

9. lismore

lismore Legend

+2,186
    Christian
    Single
    Jesus said his sheep would hear his voice. He leads his sheep into the green pastures and beside the still waters. God Bless :)

10. Ricky M

Ricky M Well-Known Member Supporter

+899
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I was always kind and attentive, and I couldn't get a womans attention if I was on fire outside a boarding house.

11. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+7,431
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    I see that you are married however. :oldthumbsup:

I never had that problem. I think that women were attracted to me because I was a 'Steady Eddie'. I always had a good job, money, nice car, liked to party, etc. Life was good. :D

12. Steve97

Steve97 Active Member

+241
    Tajikistan
    Christian
    Married
    UK - SNP
    I hope you are kind and attentive to your wife :oldthumbsup:

13. miamited

miamited Ted Supporter

+4,041
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Hi salvadore,

I hope I was able to offer you some points to consider. As you relayed more and more of your trials with your husband and then your mother and, at least inferred, that the relationship with your sister might not be so good, I just wanted you to seriously consider where the real problem might be. You mentioned in your OP about another man who you are considering starting a relationship with. If you're a part of the current problems, then unless there is some soul searching changes, you're going to just carry your part of the problem into the next relationship.

I wish you well and all of God's blessings for you.

God bless,
    In Christ, ted

14. Euodius

Euodius Are you kitten me right meow? Supporter

+262
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    The question would be if repentance was evident. For it to be evident, real action would need be taken by the 'striker.'

15. Euodius

+262
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    For one, the support of the Church community. "Where two or three are present..." "A threefold cord is not easily broken." There is a reason witnesses are required for marriage. You ask people who know you and who you trust with your own interests. You seriously consider what they say.

16. crossnote

+1,206
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    As well as forgiveness extended by the 'strikee'.

17. Euodius

+262
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    Forgiveness is not the same as allowance of the continuation of the 'striking.' Such allowance makes the 'strikee' an unwitting accomplice (not necessarily a culpable accomplice) to the damning of the 'striker' by his unrepentant sin.

18. crossnote

+1,206
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Ok, I was referring to your comment about the necessity of repentance. Any who truly repent, we are to forgive, was my point.
    Now, this is a 'Christian Advice' area of CF where debates are not allowed.

19. Euodius

+262
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    Not trying to debate, just trying to clarify.

20. Tolworth John

Tolworth John Well-Known Member

+2,484
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Married
    It teaches that a husband is to love his wife with the same extravagant love that Jesus loves his church.

So it follows that Any sort or form of abuse is not only not Christian, but is to be rooted out.