What Does Satan Mean?

Mickey Hyatt

Sep 15, 2011
✟15,393.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If you read nothing else about this message, at least read the last part.

The birth of Jesus was foretold as early as Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed: it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Right after the fall of Adam and Eve the Lord spoke to Satan and pronounce his defeat. Satan was the one who deceived Eve through telling her a lie.

The word enmity means hatred. There would be hate between the woman seed and Satan seed. What I see here is very interesting God was talking to the serpent who was Satan.

Genesis 3:14 And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou [art] cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:

I do not know of anyone that is teaching about Satan's seed. Seed meaning offspring, therefore, was Satan going to produce children or evil spirit? I am just throwing that in here for you to think about. The lord willing I will give a lesson on what all that means later.

For now we are looking at the earliest prediction of Jesus being born. The Lord God said to the serpent: I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between, thy seed and her seed:

The woman would be Mary. We know that now since it has already taken place.
Why is Jesus called the seed of a woman? Since the father is the one that is considered to carry the seed.

Jesus was born in Bethlehem, and He would not be the seed of man. Mary would conceive and bring baby Jesus into the world without losing her virginity.

All through scripture we see prophecy of Jesus being born and coming into the world and defeating Satan.

This is Christmas time of the year and a very joyous time celebrating the birth of Jesus. As a parent it is a joy giving gifts to our children, family, and friends.

Nevertheless, Christmas time is a time for some that brings stress and sadness. One reason it brings stress to Christians is they do not have the money to buy for their kids, family and friends.

My prayer and I ask you to pray for those who do not have a job or those who have a job but still do not have enough to buy for their love ones.

Pray that we all will stay in focus on what Christmas time is all about and that is our savior birth.

Pray for those who do not have the money to buy for others that this will be the most joyful time of the year because our savior was born. Pray that we all share our love with kids, family, and friends.

I know it is a difficult time for them when everyone is sharing gifts, and they do not have gifts to give. I Know because I and my wife has been in that situation in the passed.

Pray they will not feel left out, pray that the Lord Jesus will fill them with His love and that His birth is what we are celebrating. Pray that we all rejoice and praise God for His gift that He gave through a virgin called Mary.

If you are around someone you know are not able to buy gifts;
be an encouragement to them talk to them about the most important thing about Christmas is the gift God gave and not the gifts we give.

Lenity

Oct 14, 2011
✟7,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you read nothing else about this message, at least read the last part.

The birth of Jesus was foretold as early as Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed: it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Right after the fall of Adam and Eve the Lord spoke to Satan and pronounce his defeat. Satan was the one who deceived Eve through telling her a lie.

The word enmity means hatred. There would be hate between the woman seed and Satan seed. What I see here is very interesting God was talking to the serpent who was Satan.

---------------------------------
What God was saying here to the serpent was that the seed of a woman would be his defeat. Women do not have seed, only men do. As such, he is speaking about the messiah that is to come from a virgin birth; a man coming from the seed of a woman. This was before the new testament, and it is interesting right in Genesis He is foreshadowing to the coming of Jesus Christ. When he says that "it (her seed) shall bruise thy head, and thou shall bruise his heel", God is saying that this child from the seed of a woman would "bruise his head", or deliver a deathblow to him, and that he, Satan, would "bruise his heel", which is an injury that heals over time, a non-fatal blow. In the past, to "bruise the head" meant a fatal blow, but a bruised heel is nonfatal. This virgin birth (Jesus) would be his defeat, and although he would deliver this seed (Jesus) up to death and crucify Him, Satan would merely bruise His heel, and He would rise again three days later. This would mean the absolute doom of Satan's plans for this world, because through this Jesus offered a way of redemption from the workings of sin and defeated Satan's power to damn us by tempting us into wickedness.

Genesis 3:14 And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou [art] cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:

I do not know of anyone that is teaching about Satan's seed. Seed meaning offspring, therefore, was Satan going to produce children or evil spirit? I am just throwing that in here for you to think about. The lord willing I will give a lesson on what all that means later.

You may want to read the book of John for some insight. I don't think that Satan was physically going to have offspring, because God already flooded the earth because of the nephilim, which were the offspring of women and fallen angels. Rather I think this refers to the "offspring of sin", or those who are children of Satan by their works, preaching things like "Do what Thou Wilt shall be the Whole of the Law". For example, in John 8 when Jesus is speaking to some people, he says that their father is the devil, he also says that Satan is the "father of lies". In this way I think that Satan's "seed" is not actual children, but rather the seed of corruption, his children being anyone who rejoices in evil:

John 8:44 "You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies."

For now we are looking at the earliest prediction of Jesus being born. The Lord God said to the serpent: I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between, thy seed and her seed:

The woman would be Mary. We know that now since it has already taken place.
Why is Jesus called the seed of a woman? Since the father is the one that is considered to carry the seed.
Answered this one above. :p

Jesus was born in Bethlehem, and He would not be the seed of man. Mary would conceive and bring baby Jesus into the world without losing her virginity.

All through scripture we see prophecy of Jesus being born and coming into the world and defeating Satan.

This is Christmas time of the year and a very joyous time celebrating the birth of Jesus. As a parent it is a joy giving gifts to our children, family, and friends.

Nevertheless, Christmas time is a time for some that brings stress and sadness. One reason it brings stress to Christians is they do not have the money to buy for their kids, family and friends.

My prayer and I ask you to pray for those who do not have a job or those who have a job but still do not have enough to buy for their love ones.

Pray that we all will stay in focus on what Christmas time is all about and that is our savior birth.

Pray for those who do not have the money to buy for others that this will be the most joyful time of the year because our savior was born. Pray that we all share our love with kids, family, and friends.

I know it is a difficult time for them when everyone is sharing gifts, and they do not have gifts to give. I Know because I and my wife has been in that situation in the passed.

Pray they will not feel left out, pray that the Lord Jesus will fill them with His love and that His birth is what we are celebrating. Pray that we all rejoice and praise God for His gift that He gave through a virgin called Mary.

If you are around someone you know are not able to buy gifts;
be an encouragement to them talk to them about the most important thing about Christmas is the gift God gave and not the gifts we give.

Lastly, do not take offense to this, but I believe it would be good for you to take a more scholarly approach to the bible before you try to make conclusions. Although your ideas are not beyond the bounds of Christian and biblical ideals, in some ways it is obvious that you are biblically ignorant. I see this because I see it in myself. You seem to be trying to latch onto people's sentimental side in order to affirm your "Christian" values, but lot of this is clouded, generally bland and "safe" ideas that even non-Christians would agree is morally upright. Some of these things you mention, although they seem wholesome and "upright", are not actually backed by Christian dogma. A Christian is not saved by their works or their morality, but by their FAITH in Jesus Christ. Our good deeds are like filthy rags in the sight of God's holiness, so how can our deeds save us?

Isaiah 64:6 "But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away."

Many people do not understand Christianity has little to do with "being good", obviously we need to try to abstain from sin, but we cannot buy our way into heaven by our deeds. Faith is something that is established through Jesus Christ, and strengthened through the power of the Holy Spirit, which we receive through Christ. One could live an almost sin-free life, and yet if they do not have faith, they could be damned for even the slightest of white-lies. Yet another could live a life constantly stumbling and repenting to God, feeling like an absolute spiritual clutz, but meaning well and knowing that, though they sin, their salvation is reliant on Jesus Christ alone, not deeds or moral conviction, and they could be brought up to God's throne for their faith and humility.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mickey Hyatt

Sep 15, 2011
✟15,393.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I appreciate the reply, I didn't say men were saved by their works and certainly did not mean to apply that. I was speaking to Christians, who were saved by the grace of God. If a person is saved by the grace of God then they would know what I was saying. An ignorant person not saved should be able to know what I was talking about.

Upvote 0

Lenity

Oct 14, 2011
✟7,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I appreciate the reply, I didn't say men were saved by their works and certainly did not mean to apply that. I was speaking to Christians, who were saved by the grace of God. If a person is saved by the grace of God then they would know what I was saying. An ignorant person not saved should be able to know what I was talking about.

Then you don't appreciate the reply, you were offended by it when it was never my intention to insult you. It is okay to be honest about how my words made you feel, otherwise I'll never learn either. I appreciate constructive criticism and as such I also like to give it, as it is I may not be the softest of speakers and people hate feeling condemned, so I apologize if I upset you.

Some of the things you say have nothing to do with the bible and I believe they may be potentially misleading or misinforming.

However, there's something in the rules here about questioning other people's faith. Personally I really don't care if people want to say I'm not a Christian, but by suggesting that you are breaking the forum rules. If you do that too much your account will be banned. I'm not sure if you were suggesting that or not, but if you were, just be mindful of it in the future. There's no need to be passive aggressive or anything. Again, I'm sorry if I upset you.

Upvote 0

Mickey Hyatt

Sep 15, 2011
✟15,393.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Then you don't appreciate the reply, you were offended by it when it was never my intention to insult you. It is okay to be honest about how my words made you feel, otherwise I'll never learn either. I appreciate constructive criticism and as such I also like to give it, as it is I may not be the softest of speakers and people hate feeling condemned, so I apologize if I upset you.

Some of the things you say have nothing to do with the bible and I believe they may be potentially misleading or misinforming.

However, there's something in the rules here about questioning other people's faith. Personally I really don't care if people want to say I'm not a Christian, but by suggesting that you are breaking the forum rules. If you do that too much your account will be banned. I'm not sure if you were suggesting that or not, but if you were, just be mindful of it in the future. There's no need to be passive aggressive or anything. Again, I'm sorry if I upset you.

I was not implying you were not a Christian, and I apologize if I offended you. The point I was making was that I was speaking to Christians, who had knowledge of the bible, and the message was not to the lost.

In addition, the point I was making was that if a person was ignorant of Christianity, I did not believe they would infer from what I was saying it was by good works that you would get to heaven.

Maybe I read it wrong what you said. With all due respect, I just do not know where you saw that in the message. Furthermore, the message I posted was the message I posted on Facebook.

I have a morning devotional with family, friends, and the public if they join. The messages are to encourage Christians in the faith before their day starts. And I posted that message here on this form.

I do not feel condemned by what you say. I pray and trust the Holy Spirit to give me the messages in what to say. However, I am still human and can make a mistake, but I do not feel condemned for it.

In my heart, I know I do not want to say anything would mislead anyone. If the Holy Spirit reveals to me, there is something in the message I need to correct, I will correct. And I am that the Holy Spirit could use you to show me. So I am listening.

Upvote 0

Lenity

Oct 14, 2011
✟7,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I was not implying you were not a Christian, and I apologize if I offended you. The point I was making was that I was speaking to Christians, who had knowledge of the bible, and the message was not to the lost.

In addition, the point I was making was that if a person was ignorant of Christianity, I did not believe they would infer from what I was saying it was by good works that you would get to heaven.

Maybe I read it wrong what you said. With all due respect, I just do not know where you saw that in the message. Furthermore, the message I posted was the message I posted on Facebook.

I have a morning devotional with family, friends, and the public if they join. The messages are to encourage Christians in the faith before their day starts. And I posted that message here on this form.

I do not feel condemned by what you say. I pray and trust the Holy Spirit to give me the messages in what to say. However, I am still human and can make a mistake, but I do not feel condemned for it.

In my heart, I know I do not want to say anything would mislead anyone. If the Holy Spirit reveals to me, there is something in the message I need to correct, I will correct. And I am that the Holy Spirit could use you to show me. So I am listening.

No problem, I've got little sleep so I'm probably wrong anyway. :p Forgive me for being a doofus today. I'm not trying to be mean or rude.

Upvote 0

Light hearted

May 15, 2008
✟8,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't mean to change to subject,;) but, I for one do appreciate the idea of taking Genesis are the stories within to see how they fit into the work of Jesus on the cross and the Grace there after.

The one I first applied was Joseph and Jesus. I read over and over and pondered....why does the bible refer to Jacob as Israel in one sentance, then Jacob as Jacob in the next sentance. Then the pieces started falling into place. Thank you Holy Spirit for the insight.:amen:

Once God changed Abram to Abraham, it stuck. Same with Sarah and Paul.

Anyway, anytime now when someone wants to find a direct relationship from the OT to the NT, I'm all in.:wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TRWord

The Revealed Word
Nov 20, 2011
✟16,164.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Mickey Hyatt wrote:

The scripture says that the woman spoke to a serpent. You have concluded that this serpent was Satan. I would like to know what brought you to that conclusion.

Now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden? And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die. And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: (Genesis 3:1-4)

The scripture says at the end of the sixth day God saw everything that he had made and it was very good.

And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day. (Genesis 1:3KJV)

The scripture also said that both heaven and earth were finished and everything in them.

Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.(Genesis 2:1KJV)

Upvote 0

Light hearted

May 15, 2008
✟8,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
TRWord wrote;
The scripture says that the woman spoke to a serpent. You have concluded that this serpent was Satan. I would like to know what brought you to that conclusion.

Mickey may be busy at the moment, but I am curious about the question above.

What I've noticed is most of Christianity is based on a repeated structure for years and years. Over time, what happens is someone begins to reform a new structure or interpertation.

Now what happens is the new interpertation is based on the idea that it counterdicts the old interpertation that has been taught for years.

Since the one who creates the new interpertation is usually very knowledged in the old interpertation, questions like the one I quoted above will be asked. The one asking the question already has a reply that will trump the answer given.

To more even the discussion, I have to ask. Why don't you think it was satan who was questioning eve? Would there be a benefit had it not been satan and been the actual serpent, or in other words, a snake?

If a snake then has no spiritual consciencness, what would the reward be for the snake to provoke adam and eve to break a commandment of God?

Back the the original question, about why Mickey thought the serpent was satan. Unless we are going to declare certain Bible versions wrong, I will post from the amplified Bible.

Gen 3:1 And he [Satan] said to the woman, Can it really be that God has said, You shall not eat from every tree of the garden?

Now I am ready for another view point. Remember, I have absolutly no idea of your answer, I will need a well detailed description, since I figure you already know my view point.:)

Upvote 0

Biscuithands

Nov 18, 2011
✟15,198.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Biblically, there are two "Satans" :confused: ... this is little known info, btw. :groupray:

There is the Satan of the Bible and the Satan who evolved out of hearsay, personal opinions, TV and movies. :holy:

The Satan of the Old Testament is pronounced, sah-TAHN. This is the name that means: adversary. Ergo, he is really called, The Adversary.

In the first few chapters of Job, The Adversary has casual conversations with the LORD. They are not mortal enemies. The Adversary, is more or less, an angel that does God's bidding ... nothing more ... nothing less. He challenges God. He keeps God on his toes. When God was bragging about his servant, Job, The Adversary challenged God to test his theory. God made the rules. The Adversary obeyed to the letter.

There is another similar angel in Exodus (12:23) called, The Destroyer who was sent by the LORD to kill all the first born in Egypt ... both Hebrews and Egyptians and anyone else who happened to be there ... unless they sprinkled lamb's blood upon the lintel, and on the two side posts with the hyssop.

In the New Testament, Satan (probably taken from the first two syllables of the Greek pronunciation, "sah-tah-NAHS") is the same guy from the Old Testament. He only appears to test Jesus ... just like he tested Job. And there is a good possibility he (The Adversary) had a very similar conversation with the LORD (like with Job) before this happened. :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mickey Hyatt

Sep 15, 2011
✟15,393.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Mickey may be busy at the moment, but I am curious about the question above.

What I've noticed is most of Christianity is based on a repeated structure for years and years. Over time, what happens is someone begins to reform a new structure or interpertation.

Now what happens is the new interpertation is based on the idea that it counterdicts the old interpertation that has been taught for years.

Since the one who creates the new interpertation is usually very knowledged in the old interpertation, questions like the one I quoted above will be asked. The one asking the question already has a reply that will trump the answer given.

To more even the discussion, I have to ask. Why don't you think it was satan who was questioning eve? Would there be a benefit had it not been satan and been the actual serpent, or in other words, a snake?

If a snake then has no spiritual consciencness, what would the reward be for the snake to provoke adam and eve to break a commandment of God?

Back the the original question, about why Mickey thought the serpent was satan. Unless we are going to declare certain Bible versions wrong, I will post from the amplified Bible.

Gen 3:1 And he [Satan] said to the woman, Can it really be that God has said, You shall not eat from every tree of the garden?

Now I am ready for another view point. Remember, I have absolutly no idea of your answer, I will need a well detailed description, since I figure you already know my view point.:)
Satan is called by different names in different places in the scripture and the names has different meanings. Satan is an - slanderer, accuser, liar, murder, and adversary etc.

Matthew 4:1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
( he is call the devil) meaning: false accuser, slanderer

John 8:44 Ye are of [your] father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
(ye are of your father the devil) Jesus said he was a murder from the beginning - Jesus said he was a liar and the father of it.

Revelation 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
(Satan is called the great dragon - that old serpent - called the Devil)

Hebrews 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
( says the devil has the power of death)

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
(serpent deceived Eve - he lied to her.)

Upvote 0

Mickey Hyatt

Sep 15, 2011
✟15,393.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Mickey Hyatt wrote:

The scripture says at the end of the sixth day God saw everything that he had made and it was very good.

The scripture also said that both heaven and earth were finished and everything in them.

Satan is called by different names in different places in the scripture and the names has different meanings. Satan is an - slanderer, accuser, liar, murder, and adversary etc.

Matthew 4:1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
( he is call the devil) meaning: false accuser, slanderer

John 8:44 Ye are of [your] father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
(ye are of your father the devil) Jesus said he was a murder from the beginning - Jesus said he was a liar and the father of it.

Revelation 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
(Satan is called the great dragon - that old serpent - called the Devil)

Hebrews 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
( says the devil has the power of death)

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
(serpent deceived Eve - he lied to her.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TRWord

The Revealed Word
Nov 20, 2011
✟16,164.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Mickey Hyatt wrote:

Hi Mickey

I agree that satan is known by many names and he is most frequently described as a deceiver, which means that we have been deceived by him, her or it. Many have interpreted the serpent in the garden as satan but the question I have asked myself is. If this deceiver was lurking in the garden, why didn’t God warn Adam of him, her or it. Or is it possible that He did when he warned him against the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. (Genesis 2:17KJV)

Since Adam’s transgression man has been caught up in a battle between good and evil which seems to suggest that God did warn Adam against his true deceiver.

Upvote 0

Light hearted

May 15, 2008
✟8,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Mickey Hyatt, I was looking over the last couple posts. I think I was missunderstood. It was not you that I was asking for a detailed description of your viewpoint, it was TRWord that I was curious to learn more from.

TRWord, with your last post I like your logic of asking if God informed adam about satan lurking around in the garden.

The Idea of just saying not to eat from a certain tree actually raises curiosity in the human mind. Bad part is, yup it's called temptation.

By not explaining the effect on the world of following the temptation/deception from satan is an easy trap.

Now I'm not blaming adam/eve either, sooner or later someone would fall for satans trickery and still be where we are now.:sorry:

Upvote 0

Mickey Hyatt

Sep 15, 2011
✟15,393.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Mickey Hyatt wrote:

Hi Mickey

I agree that satan is known by many names and he is most frequently described as a deceiver, which means that we have been deceived by him, her or it. Many have interpreted the serpent in the garden as satan but the question I have asked myself is. If this deceiver was lurking in the garden, why didn’t God warn Adam of him, her or it. Or is it possible that He did when he warned him against the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Since Adam’s transgression man has been caught up in a battle between good and evil which seems to suggest that God did warn Adam against his true deceiver.

It seems to me, When God said not to eat, is a warning within itself. I am sure the Lord talk to Adam and Eve about many things that is not revealed in scriptures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mickey Hyatt

Sep 15, 2011
✟15,393.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Mickey Hyatt, I was looking over the last couple posts. I think I was missunderstood. It was not you that I was asking for a detailed description of your viewpoint, it was TRWord that I was curious to learn more from.

TRWord, with your last post I like your logic of asking if God informed adam about satan lurking around in the garden.

The Idea of just saying not to eat from a certain tree actually raises curiosity in the human mind. Bad part is, yup it's called temptation.

By not explaining the effect on the world of following the temptation/deception from satan is an easy trap.

Now I'm not blaming adam/eve either, sooner or later someone would fall for satans trickery and still be where we are now.:sorry:
I see the mistake of thinking it was you that were asking the question. I apologize, Mickey

Upvote 0