What does it mean to "obey the Lord/God's commandments...? Internal/external sins...?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Why do you think smoking is sin? And do you know why you need to smoke?
I could make excuses, but I think I'm just going to call a spade a spade and agree with God... I think it is because of the whole "temple of my body" thing...?

Why I need to...? Well, I'm addicted, have anxiety issues, (and I even think that those things are sins)... It maybe just seems too hard at this place and point in my life right now...?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The Pharisees did not have the Holy Spirit. They did not repent, but were trying to be righteous by following human traditions. They did not even follow the commandments of God:

And He said to them, “Rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written:
‘This people honors Me with their lips,
But their heart is far away from Me.
‘But in vain do they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.’

Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men.”

He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition.
(Mark 7:6-9 NASB)​
The Pharisees did strictly obey the commandments, but not all of the commandments. Their external obedience to the commandments was virtually faultless.

The Pharisees would quickly identify someone caught in adultery.

The Pharisees were meticulous in Sabbath observance.

The Pharisees were very strict in their legal observance.

Yet the Pharisees quickly judged others rather than showing mercy like Jesus.

The Pharisees over emphasized the letter of the law against say compassion for others.

The Pharisees were the picture of obedience on the outside, but disobedient and dangerous on the inside.

External and superficial commandment obedience, extended into the creation of many extra laws that they devised themselves. To enable them to increase their superficial obedience to the commandments.

The Pharisees powerfully opposed Jesus, ultimately these legal experts were opposing absolute divine love in human form.

Love was what the law identified as the underlying fault of humanity. For example murder is the opposite of love, though stopping the desire to kill, will not generate a loving person. The law tells you that you that you failed, the law can only condemn. No one can read the commandments (Exodus) and believe that they can obey those laws in thought and deed.

Legal obedience to the letter of the law is futile in the end, only love in it's fullness is the solution.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Cheylynn

Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2017
Vancouver Island
✟112,033.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This came up in another thread about that we are to "obey the Lord's commandments"... It was brought up that keeping the Lord's/God's commandments is very important to a personal relationship with God, Salvation, ect... (I don't think that keeping them perfectly is necessarily essential or required for a lot of things like they did or do, but, that's not the point of the discussion here)...

But this is... And, when I asked about keeping the Lord's/God's commandements, I said this....

Yes, but what does that mean?, (obeying the Lord's commandments) and what does that actually look like?, and how do we tell?, (cause there seems to be many disagreements and a lot of varying opinions on this...?)

Behaviorally, and in the way I treat people, and how I genuinely care and have a heart for just about everyone, And how deeply I love (not bragging BTW) I am doing well in those areas, but I smoke cigarettes and have maybe one other pet peve external, (maybe superficial), (what i'd like to know?) "sin", that I have a problem with... But internally, I know I am doing pretty good and am on the right path (again, not bragging in any way)...

Are external/internal sins better/worse, or more/less permisible than internal/external ones...? (Matthew 23:25-26) (Luke 11:39-40) Should we focus on the internal ones more so than the more external ones...?

But, what does "obeying his commandments" mean practially speaking?, and, what does it look like?, and, how can we tell?

What kind of person would one be if they were obeying all the Lord's commandments right...?

Comments...?

God Bless!

Legalism is the act of looking to the letter of the law to do or not do a thing in the name of God. And this is where some operate in their Christian lives. They look to the rules of do’s and do nots and attempt to follow them. Their actions may look obedient, but their hearts can remain far from God.

But when Jesus says; if you love me you will keep my Commands – this is another thing.

And that we are no longer to look to the letter of the law as THE guide for right and wrong, but to His Spirit:

‘I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them. Then you shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; you shall be My people, and I will be your God’; Ezekiel 36:26-28.

To obey – as part of your (Christ)character is an inward working thing, and how it looks is contingent upon having His Spirit in you, and you giving Him place. We are sensitive to sin – this is evidence of the Spirit in us. But we must not stop there, we must do our part – and flee from it! Then, and only then – does the Spirit give us the strength to overcome it. It is the fight we have while here on earth; our flesh warring with the Spirit – only one can have the control. Romans 8 explains this wonderfully.

The legalistic spirit is one where the focus is upon the external. This is what infuriated Christ in most if not all his dialogues with the scribes and Pharisees. They could not look past the thou shalts and shalt nots into Christ to hear him let alone receive Him as Messiah.

Its not about do not or do – it is living in submission to Christ, hourly. You perhaps already do this, but I’ll say it; you have some really good questions and precious ponderings – ask Him what is in your heart! You say you smoke – each time you have one, submit to God – tell him your dislike for it. Tell him how sorry you are doing it. Ask him how you are to be rid of it. Do this each and every time – have a heart to heart with him. He will show you the way of escape. I say this by experience! I battled smoking and submitted it to Him and He gave me a dream – of how I was to quit! I did what he showed me and I was set free!

• Optimistic
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I could make excuses, but I think I'm just going to call a spade a spade and agree with God... I think it is because of the whole "temple of my body" thing...?

Why I need to...? Well, I'm addicted, have anxiety issues, (and I even think that those things are sins)... It maybe just seems too hard at this place and point in my life right now...?

Ok, I hope you can get over the anxiety issue. :)

Upvote 0