What does it mean to "obey the Lord/God's commandments...? Internal/external sins...?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
This came up in another thread about that we are to "obey the Lord's commandments"... It was brought up that keeping the Lord's/God's commandments is very important to a personal relationship with God, Salvation, ect... (I don't think that keeping them perfectly is necessarily essential or required for a lot of things like they did or do, but, that's not the point of the discussion here)...

But this is... And, when I asked about keeping the Lord's/God's commandements, I said this....

Yes, but what does that mean?, (obeying the Lord's commandments) and what does that actually look like?, and how do we tell?, (cause there seems to be many disagreements and a lot of varying opinions on this...?)

Behaviorally, and in the way I treat people, and how I genuinely care and have a heart for just about everyone, And how deeply I love (not bragging BTW) I am doing well in those areas, but I smoke cigarettes and have maybe one other pet peve external, (maybe superficial), (what i'd like to know?) "sin", that I have a problem with... But internally, I know I am doing pretty good and am on the right path (again, not bragging in any way)...

Are external/internal sins better/worse, or more/less permisible than internal/external ones...? (Matthew 23:25-26) (Luke 11:39-40) Should we focus on the internal ones more so than the more external ones...?

But, what does "obeying his commandments" mean practially speaking?, and, what does it look like?, and, how can we tell?

What kind of person would one be if they were obeying all the Lord's commandments right...?

Comments...?

God Bless!

Last edited:

Matthew 24 10

Feb 28, 2018
Warsaw
✟9,130.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Obey all God's commandments if you love him .

You do not have to love God to be saved and you do not have to keep commandments to be saved , but after you are saved you simply love him for what he did for you .

And i mean all commandments not the 10 commandments , commandment of "be fruitful and multiply " is a commandment too but that will make LGBT Christians angry .

Reactions: messianist
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Obey all God's commandments if you love him .

You do not have to love God to be saved and you do not have to keep commandments to be saved , but after you are saved you simply love him for what he did for you .

And i mean all commandments not the 10 commandments , commandment of "be fruitful and multiply " is a commandment too but that will make LGBT Christians angry .
All 613/614 of the OT commands... And, since you took it/that/this to another level, so to speak, what about stoning diobedient children, or something like that...?

And I did not really ask which ones, but more what does it/that (truly keeping the commands "look like" in or with someone...? And how can we tell, with both ourselves and others...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Matthew 24 10

Feb 28, 2018
Warsaw
✟9,130.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
All 613/614 of the OT commands... And, since you took it/that/this to another level, so to speak, what about stoning diobedient children, or something like that...?

And I did not really ask which ones, but more what does it/that (truly keeping the commands "look like" in or with someone...? And how can we tell, with both ourselves and others...?

God Bless!

I did not take it to another level but Jesus did , when he said about murder , he took murder to another level and said if you just though of hating somebody you alredy commited murder in your hearth .

Jesus summed up commandments to Love God and love your neighbour as yourself which nobody is still keeping but we are trying . If you loved your neighbour as yourself you would share your income with him so you both have equal income but nobody does that let's be real .

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But, what does "obeying his commandments" mean practially speaking?, and, what does it look like?, and, how can we tell?
Hey brother, nice to share with you again today :) I'd like to offer the view of John 17:3 and John 4:23. In the messages of today's sermons, He was clearly speaking such to say that many people have a superficial "intellectual" knowledge of faith, but not a personal relationship with Him in the spirit realm. I speak comfortably of this experience, whereas those who are not so comfortable might be worried that they are experiencing some kind of delusional psychosis or whatever, and they tend to close their mind to it. But The Holy Spirit is there in our midst whenever we gather in His name, and that is the reality of having spiritual discernment (I seem to remember that you have spoken of this type of discernment too).

Of course, He does reserve the right to be seen and heard (John 14:21), just as we might choose to not see and hear Him (consider Genesis 6:3, 1 Timothy 4:2b). The thing has always been that mankind's limit of being able to trust God enables the adversary to take advantage of our fear to enslave us and prevent us from operating in the faith that God requires of us.

So it's all about finding the experience of faith that is mentioned in John 17:3, with the prerequisite being found in John 14:21, that requires us to truly take up our cross and follow Him. When He has revealed Himself to us, then He becomes that one spoken of in Proverbs 18:24 and Psalms 23, where He personally gives us commandments from time to time (go and visit such and such, speak only what I tell you to say .. for an example).

Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What kind of person would one be if they were obeying all the Lord's commandments right...?
They would be like Jesus.

For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son (Romans 8:29 NASB)

• Winner
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
They would be like Jesus.

For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son (Romans 8:29 NASB)
And what does one being like Jesus look like...? And, is that even possible...? And, are you saying we have to sinless...? And, is that even possible, if we do (have to be sinless)...? And, what kind of person is Jesus, or someone like Jesus...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I did not take it to another level but Jesus did , when he said about murder , he took murder to another level and said if you just though of hating somebody you alredy commited murder in your hearth .

Jesus summed up commandments to Love God and love your neighbour as yourself which nobody is still keeping but we are trying . If you loved your neighbour as yourself you would share your income with him so you both have equal income but nobody does that let's be real .
What I meant by taking it to another level, is not that I am saying your wrong, or there is anything wrong with that, it is only that "be fruitful and multipy" is not a part of what people atypically think of as one of the actual commandments is all I was saying... But I was meaning that you were taking it the other/another level of all the things God says and do in the entirety of all the scripture is basically a command and there is nothing wrong with that in my book...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And what does one being like Jesus look like...? And, is that even possible...? And, are you saying we have to sinless...? And, is that even possible, if we do (have to be sinless)...? And, what kind of person is Jesus, or someone like Jesus...?
If we are born again and have received the Holy Spirit, walking by the Spirit would make us more and more like God, since Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are the same God. We would have the same likes and dislikes as God, and people would be able to see from us a reflection of the image of God like Jesus, and we would be able to bear the fruit of the Holy Spirit, which is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.

I don't know if it is possible to be completely sinless. I have known at least a few very godly and spiritual people in church that are blameless in human's eyes, but we don't know if they have any sin in their thoughts. Only God can see people's heart.

A sign of a born again Christian is they tend to be more sensitive to sins due to the conviction of the Holy Spirit who purifies and sanctifies. The more we are willing to follow the Holy Spirit, the more we will be like Christ and the less sins we will commit, and the less often we will commit those sins, and the easier it would become to nip those sins in the bud before they become sins.

each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust. Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death. (James 1:14-15 NASB)​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The Pharisees thought they were sinless, thought they were clean, but, they were the worst sinners of them all, according to Jesus...

Jesus told them that they made sure that they appeared outwardly, or on the outside to others, that they tended to make sure, or tried to, or thought, they had made sure to outwardly appear to others, to be clean or sinless (thought they were on the inside to) but, they were most definetly not clean, inside or outside, according to Jesus...

But they appeared outwardly to others to be sinless or clean and not sinners, however, according to Jesus, they were not clean, inwardly or outwardly at all... Jesus told them to first clean up the "inside" or inward sins, or sins of the heart, first, then the outside would eventually become clean... IOW, if your trying to clean the outside first, or only the outside, then it will never really happen, or ever truly be so, though it may decpetively appear to be so (you being sinless or clean) to others... But, Jesus knew that the outside does not ever become truly clean till the inside is clean first... (Matthew 23:25-26)

How many "religious" people do you know that make the same mistake(s) that the Pharisees were making...?

God Bless!

Reactions: Cheylynn
Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Pharisees thought they were sinless, thought they were clean, but, they were the worst sinners of them all, according to Jesus...

Jesus told them that they made sure that they appeared outwardly, or on the outside to others, that they tended to make sure, or tried to, or thought, they had made sure to outwardly appear to others, to be clean or sinless (thought they were on the inside to) but, they were most definetly not clean, inside or outside, according to Jesus...

But they appeared outwardly to others to be sinless or clean and not sinners, however, according to Jesus, they were not clean, inwardly or outwardly at all... Jesus told them to first clean up the "inside" or inward sins, or sins of the heart, first, then the outside would eventually become clean... IOW, if your trying to clean the outside first, or only the outside, then it will never really happen, or ever truly be so, though it may decpetively appear to be so (you being sinless or clean) to others... But, Jesus knew that the outside does not ever become truly clean till the inside is clean first... (Matthew 23:25-26)

How many "religious" people do you know that make the same mistake(s) that the Pharisees were making...?
The Pharisees did not have the Holy Spirit. They did not repent, but were trying to be righteous by following human traditions. They did not even follow the commandments of God:

And He said to them, “Rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written:
‘This people honors Me with their lips,
But their heart is far away from Me.
‘But in vain do they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.’

Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men.”

He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition.
(Mark 7:6-9 NASB)​

• Agree
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
If we are born again and have received the Holy Spirit, walking by the Spirit would make us more and more like God, since Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are the same God. We would have the same likes and dislikes as God, and people would be able to see from us a reflection of the image of God like Jesus, and we would be able to bear the fruit of the Holy Spirit, which is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.

I don't know if it is possible to be completely sinless. I have known at least a few very godly and spiritual people in church that are blameless in human's eyes, but we don't know if they have any sin in their thoughts. Only God can see people's heart.

A sign of a born again Christian is they tend to be more sensitive to sins due to the conviction of the Holy Spirit who purifies and sanctifies. The more we are willing to follow the Holy Spirit, the more we will be like Christ and the less sins we will commit, and the less often we will commit those sins, and the easier it would become to nip those sins in the bud before they become sins.

each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust. Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death. (James 1:14-15 NASB)​
Good post... I agree with what you are saying, but I do have a couple questions though...

What are God's likes and dislikes...? And how would such a one behave or act...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good post... I agree with what you are saying, but I do have a couple questions though...

What are God's likes and dislikes...? And how would such a one behave or act...?
What God likes and what God dislikes can be found throughout the Bible. In general, God likes obedience and hates sins:

Has the Lord as much delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices
As in obeying the voice of the Lord?
Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice,
And to heed than the fat of rams.
“For rebellion is as the sin of divination,
And insubordination is as iniquity and idolatry.
(1 Samuel 15:22-23 NASB)​

He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him. (John 14:21 NASB)
As we know more and more about God, we would become clearer what He likes and what He dislikes, and we would not want to do things He dislikes as a response of His love to us. Having the same likes and dislikes as God would also make us hate what God hates and like what God likes:

Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. (1 Corinthians 13:4-7 NASB)​

Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not God and cannot see people's heart, it is not for me to judge whether their faith is genuine. However, there are good signs that they are genuine followers of Christ, since they are bearing good fruits:

For there is no good tree which produces bad fruit, nor, on the other hand, a bad tree which produces good fruit. For each tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they pick grapes from a briar bush. The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil (Luke 6:43-45 NASB)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟201,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

"If we are born again and have received the Holy Spirit, walking by the Spirit would make us more and more like God, since Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are the same God. We would have the same likes and dislikes as God, and people would be able to see from us a reflection of the image of God like Jesus, and we would be able to bear the fruit of the Holy Spirit, which is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control." Amen and Amen. This is the desire of His heart. This is The True Church and Bride. This is Love in action for all who sit in darkness to see and witness.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I want to better cause I love Him (Jesus) and for no other reason, I know he would like to improve as I go through this life... Besides, what else is there at this point, I mean I know I am saved regardless, but does that mean I shouldn't work toward improvement...?

But, the target is not very clear, like God's likes and dislikes? What is righteousness...? How should I act...? Who should I be...?

The only answer that keeps coming back to me is: "Love" and that's it... But, what about my sins...?

God Bless!

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I want to better cause I love Him (Jesus) and for no other reason, I know he would like to improve as I go through this life... Besides, what else is there at this point, I mean I know I am saved regardless, but does that mean I shouldn't work toward improvement...?

But, the target is not very clear, like God's likes and dislikes? What is righteousness...? How should I act...? Who should I be...?

The only answer that keeps coming back to me is: "Love" and that's it... But, what about my sins...?
The Bible can provide the answers to the many questions you have. I would suggest you start with a regular plan of reading the Bible if you have not already done so. If you are attending a local church regularly, you may consider joining a bible study group there. A lot of the time the Holy Spirit will speak to you through His word in the Bible and remind you of His word at other times.

And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ; having been filled with the fruit of righteousness which comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God. (Philippians 1:9-11 NASB)

Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins. Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble; for in this way the entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly supplied to you. (2 Peter 1:5-11 NASB)​

Another thing is to set aside a time to pray to God regularly, to have deeper fellowship with God, involve Him with all your plans and your daily activities:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.
(Proverbs 3:5-6 NASB)
Confess to God any sin you have committed at any moment in time, no matter how big and small they are, and ask for God's forgiveness:

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9 NASB)
If the Holy Spirit stops you at the very moment when you are about to commit a sin, follow His lead. The more you pay attention to the Holy Spirit and be obedient to Him, the Holy Spirit will guide you into what you should do, and you would be able to bear much fruit. :)

I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. (John 15:5 NASB)

Last edited:
  • Useful
Upvote 0