Discussion What does it mean to bless God?

Hilbrand

Jul 23, 2017
Veenendaal
✟18,340.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Single
what does it mean to bless God?
what does it mean to bless each other?
is there a difference in meaning?

I've read that:

-blessing also can mean to praise
-Literally, it means to kneel down

but if that is true, what does it mean to bless each other? to kneel down? I can't imagine that. it is not right to kneel down for each other. right?

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
what does it mean to bless God?
what does it mean to bless each other?
is there a difference in meaning?

I've read that:

-blessing also can mean to praise
-Literally, it means to kneel down

but if that is true, what does it mean to bless each other? to kneel down? I can't imagine that. it is not right to kneel down for each other. right?

There is also this:

Be a "blessing".

In light of this, what might it mean?

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Give Him praise and thankfulness. When you see a sunset, stop and thank Him for it. When you eat a meal, stop and thank Him for it. When you see a beautiful tree or flower or wildlife, stop and thank Him for it. In other words, live your life in thankfulness.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree, except when we bless others we are not "obeying" them (though we may be obeying Christ).

I was just trying to keep it generic and at the core.:)

LOL! That was tricky, mon ^_^

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Give Him praise and thankfulness. When you see a sunset, stop and thank Him for it. When you eat a meal, stop and thank Him for it. When you see a beautiful tree or flower or wildlife, stop and thank Him for it. In other words, live your life in thankfulness.

Yes, this surely must delight God and bless His very heart.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Every human person is created in the image of God, so bears within themselves some image of the divine - even though it can become very marred and covered over with sin to the point that we may not be able to actually see God within a person. But they are created in His image nonetheless.

We try to treat all human persons with a degree of dignity and respect, as being those created in God's image. I like the cultural expression that gives a slight "bow" in the form of a nod, acknowledging a person with dignity. It may mean letting someone else go first, giving them a helping hand in some form, or in some other way "preferring others before yourself". A person can also be intentionally given a blessing, which ultimately always comes from God.

Upvote 0

Weathering Storms

Dec 16, 2017
Asheville
✟10,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The word translated "Blessed" in Scripture is quite often the same word as "to speak well of."

Using that definition, we are to speak well of God to everyone we meet. IOW, to brag on Him, tell everyone what He's done for you, and what He wants to do for them

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hilbrand

Jul 23, 2017
Veenendaal
✟18,340.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Single
I believe I figured it out.

I have looked up some verses where people bless each other. It is giving someone a spiritual or material benefit. I also believe that when we bless people we also bless God. the word meaning doesn't change when we talk about to bless God. but first here are some verses to give you an idea what it means to bless eachother

Ge 27:27-29

27 And he came near, and kissed him: and he smelled the smell of his raiment, and blessed him, and said,
See, the smell of my son is as the smell of a field which the LORD hath blessed:
28 Therefore God give thee of the dew of heaven,
And the fatness of the earth,
And plenty of corn and wine:
29 Let people serve thee,
And nations bow down to thee:
Be lord over thy brethren,
And let thy mother’s sons bow down to thee:
Cursed be every one that curseth thee,
And blessed be he that blesseth thee.

8 And Naomi said unto her two daughters in law, Go, return each to her mother’s house: the LORD deal kindly with you, as ye have dealt with the dead, and with me.
9 The LORD grant you that ye may find rest, each of you in the house of her husband. Then she kissed them, and they lifted up their voice and wept.

that ye may find rest
if you look in the Hebrew the word may isn't there. I am no expert but if it isn't there, then it is not good to add it

now to bless God, when I was speaking in other tongues this week the Holy Spirit brought me this story to my memory.

Mt 25:34–36

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

So when we do all these things it is like giving Him benefits.

Upvote 0