✟83,577.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah prophesied in 54:

13 All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children.
Some Jews grumbled about Jesus in John 6:

43 Jesus answered them, “Do not grumble among yourselves. 44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day. 45 It is written in the Prophets, ‘And they will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me."
The Son spoke the words of the Father. They were taught by God in the sense of words of revelation and in the sense of inward drawing by God, i.e., in words and in action.

At the Last Supper, Jesus spoke to the disciples in John 13:

34 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. 35 By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Paul wrote in 1 Thessalonians 4:

7 For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness. 8 Therefore whoever disregards this, disregards not man but God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you.
9 Now concerning brotherly love you have no need for anyone to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love one another, 10 for that indeed is what you are doing to all the brothers throughout Macedonia. But we urge you, brothers, to do this more and more.
What did Paul mean by "taught by God"?

It means they were taught by the Paraclete. 1 Corinthians 2:

12 What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit [Paraclete] who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us. 13 This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words.
The indwelling Spirit teaches believers to love in words and in action.

Isaiah 54:

13 All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children.
The Paraclete is the peace of Jesus.

What does it mean to be taught by God?

It means being taught by the Son, the Father, and the Holy Spirit in words and action.

Dikaioumenoi

Jun 29, 2016
North Carolina
✟19,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The phrase in John 6:45 (and Isaiah 54:13, LXX) is an interesting one: διδακτοὶ θεοῦ.

The adjective διδακτος can be used either of people or things. When it refers to things, it describes the objects of instruction (the things taught). When it refers to people, it describes the subjects of instruction (the recipients of the teaching). When referring to people, it carries the descriptive sense of "God-taught," i.e., having been imparted with knowledge.

In other words, it is not simply that there is a teaching that has been offered, as if to imply that the individuals in question may or may not receive it, but rather those individuals are described as those who have received the educational effect of that teaching. This is an important note in light of the prior verse, given how much debate surrounds it. It is not that the Father draws those who choose to hear a teaching offered; what Jesus is saying is that the drawing of the Father is characterized by an impartation of knowledge. That is, the drawing is described as an act of God in which the recipients are made to receive the educational effect of his teaching. It is a work in their hearts, with a definite outcome.

The 1 Thess. 4:9 reference is very similar. There, Paul simply combines the genitive phrase into a compound word: θεοδίδακτοί. And with the term referring to individuals, the sense is the same -- it is descriptive of individuals whom God has imparted knowledge to. The ESV actually goes an extra step in emphasizing this with the way it translates the prior verb. Ἐστε is a present active ("are"), but the ESV renders it "have been," as if it were a present perfect, apparently hinting at the past completeness inherent in the idea of θεοδίδακτοί.

1 Cor. 2:13 is an example of a usage where διδακτός refers to things (in this case, "words"). As such, there might be a little more room for the idea of a teaching 'offered', except the context arguably still justifies the stronger sense that to be 'taught by the Spirit' is to receive the educational effect of the teaching.

• Informative
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Being taught by God . . .

There can be explanation and enlightenment about an idea. Presenting the Trinity might be an example of this.

And there can be demonstration . . . using words, yes, but also example to show what those words mean. Jesus says to love one another (John 13:24, John 15:12) even as He has loved us. He teaches that this is a new commandment, plus He has already demonstrated what the commandment means. And Jesus growing in us as our new inner Person > Galatians 4:19 > has us discovering how how He wants us to become loving with each other. This comes in sharing with Him in us . . . in union and communion with us by means of each one being "one spirit with Him" (in 1 Corinthians 6:17).

And we have that, with preaching of the word, "God gives the increase", in 1 Corinthians 3:7. Teaching includes giving us words, but we also need how God in us does and shares with us what the words are talking about.

If Mommy tells you we are going to have apple pie for dessert, and you don't even know what an apple is - - - no amount of words by themselves can explain an apple pie to you. And it can help to stay with Mommy while she makes it, maybe help her, so you can know it came from somewhere and what was involved in making it. But, of course, eating the pie . . . feeding on God's word, can teach us what words alone can not tell.

And we have "it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure," in Philippians 2:13. God Himself in us produces what His word means, for how to become and what to do and how to love.

He knows what He means by His word.

And Isaiah 55:11 guarantees that God's word shall do all that God pleases . . . therefore what He means, so better than we can understand and get our own selves to do.

So, with His teaching is demonstration and discovering.

• Useful
Upvote 0

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟47,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In other words, it is not simply that there is a teaching that has been offered, as if to imply that the individuals in question may or may not receive it, but rather those individuals are described as those who have received the educational effect of that teaching. This is an important note in light of the prior verse, given how much debate surrounds it. It is not that the Father draws those who choose to hear a teaching offered; what Jesus is saying is that the drawing of the Father is characterized by an impartation of knowledge. That is, the drawing is described as an act of God in which the recipients are made to receive the educational effect of his teaching. It is a work in their hearts, with a definite outcome.
This sounds a bit too Calvinistic for my taste. Can you confirm you are a Calvinist?

Upvote 0

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟47,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What does it mean to be taught by God?
There are two aspects to being taught by God. The first pertains to all people regardless of the status of their salvation. This is clearly demonstrated in the first chapter of Romans. He reveals Himself, His eternal power, His Godhead, as well as the knowledge that wrongdooers are worthy of eternal death. The second pertains only to those in whom Christ lives. From inside their hearts, He leads, guides, directs, teaches, corrects, and comforts them. This is by Spirit-to-spirit communications that only saved people can receive, and which is foolishness to the lost.

• Useful
Upvote 0

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟47,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Does it matter whether I am or aren't? Let's focus on the content of the argument.
Yes, it matters. Let's say I reply with something like, "Well, the verb that the adjective is modifying is in the middle voice, which means the subject is acting in a way so as to participate in the results of the action. Even if this were passive as you imply, and if the knowledge is imparted without any act of receiving on the part of the person, then how can the second half of the verse, which depends on the first half of the verse, be true where both "hearing" and "learning" are in the active voice (which means that the subject is the one doing the action)?"

If you are not Calvinistic, this may start some wheels turning in your head that your POV is not well founded. If you are Calvinistic, then you would not be moved by this argument because the idea that dead people can't take action towards salvation is fundamental to your beliefs. So, if you are Calvinistic, there is no point in discussing it.

Upvote 0

Dikaioumenoi

Jun 29, 2016
North Carolina
✟19,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it matters. Let's say I reply with something like, "Well, the verb that the adjective is modifying is in the middle voice, which means the subject is acting in a way so as to participate in the results of the action. Even if this were passive as you imply, and if the knowledge is imparted without any act of receiving on the part of the person, then how can the second half of the verse, which depends on the first half of the verse, be true where both "hearing" and "learning" are in the active voice (which means that the subject is the one doing the action)?"

If you are not Calvinistic, this may start some wheels turning in your head that your POV is not well founded. If you are Calvinistic, then you would not be moved by this argument because the idea that dead people can't take action towards salvation is fundamental to your beliefs. So, if you are Calvinistic, there is no point in discussing it.
That logic doesn't track. You're presupposing that whoever you interact with would necessarily be wedded to their theological traditions, never open to being challenged or corrected. If I were a Calvinist and I found merit in your argument, perhaps it would convince me to rethink my theology. I've changed my mind before. Saying that there's no point to even discussing it if we have different theological perspectives seems a rather cynical approach to discussion.

As to the argument (or are you simply posing an example?), I would say two things, the first of which makes my point that my theological labels are irrelevant here: A Calvinist would not take issue with the statement, "the subject is acting in a way so as to participate in the results of the action." Hearing and learning are human actions. Clearly the subject participates in them. Participation is never the issue in that debate. The issue is the question of the basis of action; i.e. whether that participation is the direct product of grace and that alone, or something in the individual.

Second, I would ask for more evidence supporting your claim (whether I agree with it or not). The future indicative of ἐιμί always takes a middle form. There are no active/passive forms. So this enters the discussion of deponency and whether the spelling is simply an anomaly of the language, or if it actually (and therefore always) carries a middle sense in meaning. However, the middle voice has many uses, and need not mean the subject "participates" in the action. A more appropriate definition of the middle is simply that the subject is somehow concerned with the action. To "be taught" need not mean anything more than that the recipient is, indeed, the recipient (the beneficiary) of the teaching. I don't know how "be" could take on a more active or passive meaning in such phrases, hence the necessity of the middle, perhaps. The suggestion that the middle implies something more than this -- i.e. a theological implication with respect to the ordering or basis of actions -- would need substantiation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟47,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That logic doesn't track. You're presupposing that whoever you interact with would necessarily be wedded to their theological traditions, never open to being challenged or corrected. If I were a Calvinist and I found merit in your argument, perhaps it would convince me to rethink my theology. I've changed my mind before. Saying that there's no point to even discussing it if we have different theological perspectives seems a rather cynical approach to discussion.

As to the argument (or are you simply posing an example?), I would say two things, the first of which makes my point that my theological labels are irrelevant here: A Calvinist would not take issue with the statement, "the subject is acting in a way so as to participate in the results of the action." Hearing and learning are human actions. Clearly the subject participates in them. Participation is never the issue in that debate. The issue is the question of the basis of action; i.e. whether that participation is the direct product of grace and that alone, or something in the individual.

Second, I would ask for more evidence supporting your claim (whether I agree with it or not). The future indicative of ἐιμί always takes a middle form. There are no active/passive forms. So this enters the discussion of deponency and whether the spelling is simply an anomaly of the language, or if it actually (and therefore always) carries a middle sense in meaning. However, the middle voice has many uses, and need not mean the subject "participates" in the action. A more appropriate definition of the middle is simply that the subject is somehow concerned with the action. To "be taught" need not mean anything more than that the recipient is, indeed, the recipient (the beneficiary) of the teaching. I don't know how "be" could take on a more active or passive meaning in such phrases, hence the necessity of the middle, perhaps. The suggestion that the middle implies something more than this -- i.e. a theological implication with respect to the ordering or basis of actions -- would need substantiation.
I guess it's cynicism guided by experience. Cynicism not guided by experience would be to believe Jesus would say things like "While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light" (Jn 12:36) if He knew believing was irresistable for the chosen and impossible for the rest. As you indicated, this is the preiminent issue with Calvinists. You can't change their minds about the "supporting" doctrines unless you dispell their belief in the preiminent one. While theoretically possible, it is very rarely achieved.

Upvote 0

Dikaioumenoi

Jun 29, 2016
North Carolina
✟19,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I guess it's cynicism guided by experience. Cynicism not guided by experience would be to believe Jesus would say things like "While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light" (Jn 12:36) if He knew believing was irresistable for the chosen and impossible for the rest. As you indicated, this is the preiminent issue with Calvinists. You can't change their minds about the "supporting" doctrines unless you dispell their belief in the preiminent one. While theoretically possible, it is very rarely achieved.
Your "experience" seems to betray an inexperience with the position you critique, seeing as you just caricatured that viewpoint by objecting in a way that fails to interact with the distinction Reformed literature makes between God's will of decree and precept. But, that is a different topic for another thread. Are you sure it isn't you who's mind can't be changed? After all, you're the one preoccupied with judging the merits of a conversation beforehand simply on whether or not someone agrees with you...

Let's get back on topic. Do you have any response to offer to my comments on διδακτοί, or the future indicative middle of ἑιμί?

Upvote 0

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟47,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Your "experience" seems to betray an inexperience with the position you critique, seeing as you just caricatured that viewpoint by objecting in a way that fails to interact with the distinction Reformed literature makes between God's will of decree and precept. But, that is a different topic for another thread.
I know enough about it to put my finger on the core issue.
Are you sure it isn't you who's mind can't be changed?
I am 100% sure my mind can't be changed.
After all, you're the one preoccupied with judging the merits of a conversation beforehand simply on whether or not someone agrees with you...
No, I said your POV sounded Calvinistic. So I asked a direct question to clarify.
Let's get back on topic. Do you have any response to offer to my comments on διδακτοί, or the future indicative middle of ἑιμί?
I already conceded in my post that the middle could be seen as a passive, but my follow-on was that the two verbs ("hearing" and "learning") in the sentence that follows are active voice, meaning that from the viewpoint of the speaker (in this case Jesus), the subjects are performing the action. You agreed that hearing and leaning were human activities, but said "The issue is the question of the basis of action; i.e. whether that participation is the direct product of grace and that alone, or something in the individual." I agree this is the core issue. It's the dead man argument that I referenced near the beginning.

Upvote 0

Dikaioumenoi

Jun 29, 2016
North Carolina
✟19,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I already conceded in my post that the middle could be seen as a passive, but my follow-on was that the two verbs ("hearing" and "learning") in the sentence that follows are active voice, meaning that from the viewpoint of the speaker (in this case Jesus), the subjects are performing the action. You agreed that hearing and leaning were human activities, but said "The issue is the question of the basis of action; i.e. whether that participation is the direct product of grace and that alone, or something in the individual." I agree this is the core issue. It's the dead man argument that I referenced near the beginning.
So I don't understand. What's your point? Are you responding to something?

Upvote 0

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟47,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So I don't understand. What's your point? Are you responding to something?
In a round-about way I was trying to say that we pretty much agreed on the gramar of ἑιμί, but we disagree on the core issue which I say is the "dead man argument" and which you say is "the question of the basis of action; i.e. whether that participation is the direct product of grace and that alone, or something in the individual."

This has a bit of relevence to the thread, since if dead people can't believe unless belief is gifted to them, then it stands to reason that dead people can't hear and learn from God unless God gifts them hearing and learning. This is the concept we disagree on, and I believe my points on the grammar are stronger since active, middle, and deponent voice verbs make the subject the doer of the action. Adjectives don't change the agency of the action away from the subject.

• Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dikaioumenoi

Jun 29, 2016
North Carolina
✟19,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
In a round-about way I was trying to say that we pretty much agreed on the gramar of ἑιμί, but we disagree on the core issue which I say is the "dead man argument" and which you say is "the question of the basis of action; i.e. whether that participation is the direct product of grace and that alone, or something in the individual."

This has a bit of relevence to the thread, since if dead people can't believe unless belief is gifted to them, then it stands to reason that dead people can't hear and learn from God unless God gifts them hearing and learning. This is the concept we disagree on, and I believe my points on the grammar are stronger since active, middle, and deponent voice verbs make the subject the doer of the action. Adjectives don't change the agency of the action away from the subject.
What points? I responded to your points. That's why I'm confused by your re-assertion of them. To recap:

1. Ἔσονται is a future indicative of ἐιμί. All future indicatives of ἐιμί take middle forms. That does not mean it conveys the idea of having acted for oneself, or even necessarily having participated in the action. Consider the phrase, "the glass will be etched by the engraver." "[It] will be" would be ἔσται, future middle indicative. Yet that does not mean that the glass participates as an agent in its own engraving. Rather, the glass is the beneficiary of the etching action.

2. Taught/teach is usually translated from the verb διδάσκω, not the adjective. The adjective is rare, especially in the Bible (it is more common in ancient Greek philosophy). When it is used, however, and particularly of persons as the subject, it is always descriptive of those persons as having received the educational effect of the teaching, the same way that "etched" is descriptive of a subject as having received the effects of the etching (cf. "experts of war" in 1 Maccabees 4:7; the "taught ones" in Plato's "The Republic"). In other words, the reason for the use of the adjective rather than the verb is to describe the effect of the teaching, as opposed to the offering of it.

3. The fact that ἀκούσας and μαθὼν are active is not relevant to the meaning of διδακτοί. You're taking for granted that the actions of hearing and learning somehow imply an active reception of a teaching offered. That not only undermines the whole point of using the adjective in place of the verb, but it also ignores the fact that being the beneficiary of sovereign action would not mitigate the reality of human agency. I think your very apparent animosity toward Calvinism is blinding you a bit here, as you seem to insist upon a caricature of that view; namely, that there can be no agency involved whatsoever on the view that this drawing/teaching sovereignly brings about a particular outcome. That is simply not the case. Being the beneficiary of a sovereign action in no way implies a contradiction with the idea of secondary causes falling out under that action. In other words, it is perfectly coherent to view the hearing and learning as the means by which the educational effect of the teaching is sovereignly applied. This is where the issue of "basis" comes in. If God so changes the heart of a sinner that his heart is now characterized by a desire for righteousness, then he will, as a guarantee (cf. vs. 37), actively participate in hearing and learning from God, thus manifesting the promise of being God-taught.

In other words, hearing and learning describe the human element of what the drawing produces. This follows the pattern of the passage. There is a repeated juxtaposition between divine and human action throughout verses 37-40 and 44-45, with the former always providing the ground and guarantee for the latter:

Verse 37: "All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out."
Verse 39: "And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me..."
Verse 40: "For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life..."
Verse 44: "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up on the last day."
Verse 45: "...And they will all be taught by God. Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me"

Divine Ground - Human Result
  1. The giving of the Father guarantees the coming of the given one (vs. 37).
  2. The need to fulfill the Father's will that not one of these given ones should be lost (vs. 39) provides the ground for the Father's will that these gives ones would look on the Son and believe (vs. 40).
  3. The drawing of the Father provides the ground for the ability to come (vs. 44; note that the condition is stated negatively; the "then" comes before the "if"), as well as the guarantee that the drawn ones will do so (note the identity of the "him" who is drawn with the "him" who is raised).
    1. Note also that verse 65 quotes verse 44, but uses δίδωμι from verse 37 in the place of ἑλκύω, indicating a paradigmatic-syntagmatic relationship between the two terms in this context. In other words, they're interchangeable. No one can come unless the Father gives/draws them, and all whom the Father gives/draws will surely come. And yet this does not do away with human agency, but rather provides the grounds for it, because:
  4. The promise that these given/drawn ones will be "God-taught" provides the ground and guarantee that they actively hear and learn. This is simply descriptive of the giving/drawing action of the Father in how it changes the heart of the unable, making it both able and willing, with the end result being that the Son will perfectly and fully accomplish the will of the Father (vv. 39-40), the purpose for which he came (vs. 38).
I realize I've now gone well beyond the scope of the OP, so if we continue with this discussion it would probably be better to start a new thread. I'd be happy to continue if you want to create a new thread and @ me, or feel free to join in over at A Thought on John 6:44.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟47,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is where the issue of "basis" comes in. If God so changes the heart of a sinner that his heart is now characterized by a desire for righteousness, then he will, as a guarantee (cf. vs. 37), actively participate in hearing and learning from God, thus manifesting the promise of being God-taught.
My "very apparent animosity toward Calvinism" is apparently justified. The idea that God would make pre-programmed robots out of the people He pre-determined to save in order for them to automatically perform all the steps necessary for Him to save them is worthy of animosity.
I realize I've now gone well beyond the scope of the OP, so if we continue with this discussion it would probably be better to start a new thread. I'd be happy to continue if you want to create a new thread and @ me, or feel free to join in over at A Thought on John 6:44.
No, I don't get any pleasure from conversations like this.

Upvote 0

Dikaioumenoi

Jun 29, 2016
North Carolina
✟19,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
My "very apparent animosity toward Calvinism" is apparently justified. The idea that God would make pre-programmed robots out of the people He pre-determined to save in order for them to automatically perform all the steps necessary for Him to save them is worthy of animosity.

No, I don't get any pleasure from conversations like this.
You've got it backwards, brother. Your anti-Calvinist prejudice is not even allowing you to accurately and responsibly engage with the position. "Pre-programmed robots"? Really? Again, your criticisms simply dismiss any discussion of the relationship between God's decree and precepts, or concurrence of primary and secondary causes. They are grounded in a caricatured view of the position which you cannot seem to see past. No, that does not justify your animosity.

Now, do you have anything to offer in way of response to the argument provided?

Upvote 0