Karlsruhe
✟53,237.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am reading the letter from apostle Paulus to the Romans and there is written that we are free from the law. That love frees from the law and so on. I was hearing a lesson from a russian priest on this topic. But He thinks the apostle was thinking about our body law that we are not slaves of our body anymore. I do not agree. But I was thinking about it... and I am not sure. Maybe we as christians are forgiven by God through confession? I mean if you kill somebody you are most probably not free from the law. Or if you steal. On the other side tradition laws are not necessary. Are wrong. If you heal a person on a sabbat you can do it. That is also free from the law. I mean the new testament touches our inner lifes. There are HINTS that our inner life and the inner life of a believer is important, not only following the law. So everything has to make sense. We have to live a REAL inner life. But I am worried that these are only hints, not a real description how good we really have to feel and to be..... So the bible makes lots of people fanatics very similar to moslems. That is why I do not think of the bible as a perfect book replacing the living contact with God Himself. I do not like it when christians are like moslems believing in a perfect book. Tha book is holy but NOT perfect and NOT mentioning everything. Maybe free from the law that we can break the law and not be judged. And that we do not judge others. But if that would be true..... wich law could we break? I do not know... I believe personally in different destinies. Destinies are not linear and perfect. So they are always against the law. But that is also not what is ment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silverthorne

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I am reminded of something said in Colossians Chapter 2, the law was the shadow and Christ is the body.

We need to live as the body, looking forward to the light that cast such a great shadow.

Upvote 0

KisKatte

Jesus, send us your Holy Spirit.
Feb 1, 2020
Karlsruhe
✟53,237.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think this is a mysterium. I remember early times when I was christian not having left church yet. I had more spirituel abilieties in treating others than I have now afterwards. I believe that this feeling of being free from the law is important. Although if you think logically you can never be really free from the law.... I see the difference in how some muslims behave and other old testament fixated religions. But maybe I am wrong. Just my prejudices...

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1John 3:4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness.

Without the law, there would be no sin. The law cannot save you, it can only define what sin is.

John 1:1-5
1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was in the beginning with God. 3All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

Jesus Christ is the beginning and the end of the law, the author and finisher of our faith. Everything runs through Jesus. When Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist, a voice was heard admonishing everyone to listen to Him and to do what He taught and that Jesus was a begotten Son.

God the Father calls you to Christianity and Jesus keeps you in the light by bestowing His Holy Spirit in you. As Jesus had God the Father's Holy Spirit in Him when he walked the earth, we, Christians have the Spirit of Christ in us to lead us to all truth. The law is spiritual and we are led by the Spirit into all truth. You must develop and have a relationship with Jesus in your Christian walk. In time you will grow in understanding, if you do not quench the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Paul is writing about for the "Torah Keeping believers" that new covenant is "living by the spirit and not be the flesh". We are to concern ourselves with loving God and our neighbor, and have that reflected in our everyday deeds rather than concern ourselves with the minutia of various Old Testament laws of purification, and regulation of many aspects of life.

Reactions: KisKatte
Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I am reading the letter from apostle Paulus to the Romans and there is written that we are free from the law. That love frees from the law and so on. I was hearing a lesson from a russian priest on this topic. But He thinks the apostle was thinking about our body law that we are not slaves of our body anymore. I do not agree. But I was thinking about it... and I am not sure. Maybe we as christians are forgiven by God through confession? I mean if you kill somebody you are most probably not free from the law. Or if you steal. On the other side tradition laws are not necessary. Are wrong. If you heal a person on a sabbat you can do it. That is also free from the law. I mean the new testament touches our inner lifes. There are HINTS that our inner life and the inner life of a believer is important, not only following the law. So everything has to make sense. We have to live a REAL inner life. But I am worried that these are only hints, not a real description how good we really have to feel and to be..... So the bible makes lots of people fanatics very similar to moslems. That is why I do not think of the bible as a perfect book replacing the living contact with God Himself. I do not like it when christians are like moslems believing in a perfect book. Tha book is holy but NOT perfect and NOT mentioning everything. Maybe free from the law that we can break the law and not be judged. And that we do not judge others. But if that would be true..... wich law could we break? I do not know... I believe personally in different destinies. Destinies are not linear and perfect. So they are always against the law. But that is also not what is ment.

This is not criminal, or civil law, It's the concept of having to do, or not do something for your salvation, such as following the Old Testament Law or other types of works to merit Gods Favor.

From a Protestant point of view, Salvation is by Gods grace, for Christ sake, through faith.

So, we are now free from the law whose precepts could never be followed perfectly, which was the minimum standard.

Jesus Christ was the perfect sacrifice for our sins, he has fulfilled the requirements demanded by God the Father, so their is nothing left for us to do but believe that Christ died for us, and trust completely in his promise of salvation for those who trust in him only.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
the Law was perfectly fulfilled in Christ (Who followed the Law perfectly), so we are free from it because now we have full participation in grace, which the Law prepared us for.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Free from the law.

I recall during my most recent listen through the bible. In Deuteronomy, (near the end) there are a number of curses spoken upon anyone who does not follow what is written in the law.

This fear of death and curses, is what Jesus came to free us from.

Though living in the divine nature may involve following royal ettiquette, the fear of curses and death has been removed.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Free from the law.

I recall during my most recent listen through the bible. In Deuteronomy, (near the end) there are a number of curses spoken upon anyone who does not follow what is written in the law.

This fear of death and curses, is what Jesus came to free us from.

Though living in the divine nature may involve following royal ettiquette, the fear of curses and death has been removed.

Sin is the transgression of the law (1 John 3:4)...the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23)...He freed us from the curse of the law (death)...by becoming a curse for us (Galatians 3:13).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hezekiah81

Christ died for me so I died for him
Aug 18, 2021
Texas
✟7,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It means Christ payed your death penalty with his blood and you are free from the condemnation of the law if Christ's Spirit indeed dwells in you.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

For the Law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the Law of sin and death.

when a law is spoken the opposite to it is also .....

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Sin is the transgression of the law (1 John 3:4)...the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23)...He freed us from the curse of the law (death)...by becoming a curse for us (Galatians 3:13).
Thanks for the NT scripture references. I tend to start with Deuteronomy, because those who need to hear that message won't listen to Paul.

Upvote 0

Daniel Hoseini

Sep 1, 2021
North-Brabant
✟43,201.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
By Law apostle Paul meant the Mosaic Law with all its 613 commandments (mitzvot in the Torah). Nevertheless we as Christians are not free from the law in another sense of the word. Because the good will of God is our law and our struggle is to follow it against the will of our fallen nature. So we are not free from the 10 basic commandments of the Mosaic Law.
“Love God and do whatever you please: for the soul trained in love to God will do nothing to offend the One who is Beloved.” (Augustine)

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe much of this pertains to circumcision as per Galatians 5 note verses 1-4. Also in matters of confession, we do not offer animal sacrifices for atonement. Compare ( for ex.) Leviticus 5 to 1 John 1:5-10.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums