Annapolis
✟7,990.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For months, I have been going crazy trying to make a big decision.
Should I stay at my dream school or go to an affordable school?

Last year in January, I was accepted into my dream school and transferred from a school I was attending that was in my state. However I realized at the last minute that the school is way too expensive for my family. The bills were so high I almost didn't go back to school.

When I first got accepted into the school, something told me this is where I needed to be. I put the decision in God's hands for me to go or not. When I got accepted, I thought it was God telling me yes. But my experience thus far has been a 6/10. Haven't made any friends, didn't go out cause I had no one to go with, administration is terrible. However, this school is known for notable alumni, and it is "historical." It is very well known and I can land so many opportunities and internships here.

But of course like I said, the school is very expensive. The tuition even increased so now it is about $60k a year. I rely heavily on loans, no scholarships. It is becoming increasingly difficult to afford tuition. I won't even get into the horrendous housing situation. They don't have enough space to house all their students and the school is located in an expensive city. I clearly didn't research enough and think this through. But again, I thought this is where God wanted me to be. He pulled off miracles and paid off big bills. So I thought maybe he can continue doing that?

But then I thought that was ridiculous. The main struggle is the tuition here. The tuition has caused me so much stress and put a lot on me mentally. So I had to research other schools. I found a school in my state that is pretty cheap. I'm trying to get some grants, + my loans I think it'll be even cheaper (trying to make sure now). The school has pretty good ratings, it's about 40 minutes away from where I live. But this will be my third college now. Transferring is a terrible experience with making sure all my credits transfer, starting over again, etc.

I say all of this to say...that I am so confused. I had a feeling that God wanted me to be at the expensive university. But then again if he doesn't, why would he put me through all that trouble? I've been praying for months for God to give me some sort of sign, but I haven't received one yet. I'd think I'd have my mind all made up, but then feel like I'm making the wrong decision.

• Prayers
Reactions: valerina

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Last year in January, I was accepted into my dream school and transferred from a school I was attending that was in my state. However I realized at the last minute that the school is way too expensive for my family. The bills were so high I almost didn't go back to school.

When I first got accepted into the school, something told me this is where I needed to be. I put the decision in God's hands for me to go or not. When I got accepted, I thought it was God telling me yes. But my experience thus far has been a 6/10. Haven't made any friends, didn't go out cause I had no one to go with, administration is terrible. However, this school is known for notable alumni, and it is "historical." It is very well known and I can land so many opportunities and internships here.

But of course like I said, the school is very expensive. The tuition even increased so now it is about $60k a year. I rely heavily on loans, no scholarships. It is becoming increasingly difficult to afford tuition. I won't even get into the horrendous housing situation. They don't have enough space to house all their students and the school is located in an expensive city. I clearly didn't research enough and think this through. But again, I thought this is where God wanted me to be. He pulled off miracles and paid off big bills. So I thought maybe he can continue doing that?

But then I thought that was ridiculous. The main struggle is the tuition here. The tuition has caused me so much stress and put a lot on me mentally. So I had to research other schools. I found a school in my state that is pretty cheap. I'm trying to get some grants, + my loans I think it'll be even cheaper (trying to make sure now). The school has pretty good ratings, it's about 40 minutes away from where I live. But this will be my third college now. Transferring is a terrible experience with making sure all my credits transfer, starting over again, etc.

I say all of this to say...that I am so confused. I had a feeling that God wanted me to be at the expensive university. But then again if he doesn't, why would he put me through all that trouble? I've been praying for months for God to give me some sort of sign, but I haven't received one yet. I'd think I'd have my mind all made up, but then feel like I'm making the wrong decision.
Where will you get the best education? Do not count on the fact that graduating from a prestige university is going to make a big difference in your career. The quality of the education is going to allow you to advance long after anyone will remember where you went to school.

Upvote 0

roman2819

Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2012
Singapore
✟208,448.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

You certainly have an important decision to make.

However, do not err by thinking that there is a "God's will" decision for you to seek out. God does not constantly have a designated will for your decision, so whether you choose to remain or change, do not think "this is what God want me to do".

If God does have a designated will for you -- if He specifically plan something for you -- then He will fulfill it by leading you there. For example: He will close other doors and lead you to His will -- if and only if He has a unique plan in your situation. Now, this does not mean that getting accepted for your application = God's will for you to be where you are, it is not so black and white.

Usually, God s not trying to tell us what to do at every major decision. It explains why many Christians seek "God's will" but do not receive clear guidance, and mistaken that God want them to make a certain choice; and when things turn out bad later, they wonder why God lead them wrongly or did they read "God's will" wrongly -- and these discourage them in their faith.

God gives us the stewardship to make decisions. We have to evaluate the situation and circumstances. Of course, we can pray about major decisions if we want to, but don't err by thinking there is a "God's will decision" to seek out. Too often Christians wrongly attach a "God's will" element to the process when in truth
decisions can be a very human and down-to-earth process.

God guide us in the bigger scheme of things, not at every turn.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arctangent

May 28, 2022
Midwest
✟26,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Money is real. I am getting half of my degree at a community college and half at a state university satellite campus for that very reason. I'm not saying you should only consider the price, but I *am* saying not to pretend it is not a real factor.

What you do is what you do, and I don't know you to tell you what you ought to do, but take every factor seriously.

Upvote 0