• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

what do you to someone who is suicidal?

PollyAnna

Saved By Grace
Dec 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟15,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am so shocked at the ignorance. You may not be aware of this desi, but alot of ppl who suffer from depression also suffer from other things as well (like S.A.D. - Social Anxiety Disorder) and there are different mental illnesses that cause depression, which have side disorders that keep ppl from socializing. You need to get a clue! I don't think anyone here thinks taking a pill is going to fix them. That is why we post here to talk about what works for others and see if it will work for us. We are not lazy ppl who just sit around feeling sorry for ourselves. :sigh: I have so much more I could say on this but I don't have a good attitude right now so I'm outta here for now.

Upvote 0
I

Iddie4him

PollyAnna said:
I am so shocked at the ignorance. You may not be aware of this desi, but alot of ppl who suffer from depression also suffer from other things as well (like S.A.D. - Social Anxiety Disorder) and there are different mental illnesses that cause depression, which have side disorders that keep ppl from socializing. You need to get a clue! I don't think anyone here thinks taking a pill is going to fix them. That is why we post here to talk about what works for others and see if it will work for us. We are not lazy ppl who just sit around feeling sorry for ourselves. :sigh: I have so much more I could say on this but I don't have a good attitude right now so I'm outta here for now.
Very well put PollyAnna, I said basically the same thing to him in a PM just before he lost his posting priveledges for another week. He does need to see the other side of the coin, so to speak. I totally agree with you that meds aren't always the solution to the problem, But,They do help in alot of cases. I take Lithium and Lexapro on a daily basis and It does alot to control my Manic Depressive disorder. So, In this case, The meds help.

Upvote 0

PollyAnna

Saved By Grace
Dec 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟15,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry I flew off the handle yesterday. Hate when I do that.

I agree that meds do help. I'm also taking medication and I am so grateful for it. What I meant to say is that we don't think that medication is the total solution. At least I don't. I take the meds to get my brain to function to a point that I can work on my disorder to improve myself in everyway possible. :)

Upvote 0
I

Iddie4him

Well, In my case, The meds are the only thing that help keep me functioning. Without them I would be a total basketcase and become suicidal again. Thats what got me treatment 11 years ago. I am glad that we have support systems and people that we can talk to about our problems, Helps us unload our cares and concerns. God Bless us all that suffer from depression and any other form of mental illness, We will be healed of our afflictions in due time.

Upvote 0

desi

Aug 20, 2003
La Vista
✟4,540.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
PollyAnna said:
I am so shocked at the ignorance. You may not be aware of this desi, but alot of ppl who suffer from depression also suffer from other things as well (like S.A.D. - ...Social Anxiety Disorder) and there are different mental illnesses that cause depression, which have side disorders that keep ppl from socializing. You need to get a clue! I don't think anyone here thinks taking a pill is going to fix them. That is why we post here to talk about what works for others and see if it will work for us. We are not lazy ppl who just sit around feeling sorry for ourselves. :sigh: I have so much more I could say on this but I don't have a good attitude right now so I'm outta here for now.
The Holy Spirit as it is mentioned in the New Testament seems to preclude depression. If you look at the horrible situations the Apostles were in and how they never lost heart you will see for yourself. Also if you look back at the Old testament the only times people are mentioned as depressed is when they are under extreme duress, life in peril a la David & Job. Finally, if you look at less develpoed countries today where people live in squalor and work hard for meager food and shelter you see a sharp decline in the incidence of depression, Africa & South American, versus industrialized nations where we have it easy. You can argue all you want about how insensitive and cruel I am for mentioning such things but they seem to be accurate. We can ignore them and say desi's all wrong because we don't like him or we can look at what's going on and work on a solution. The choice is ours.

Upvote 0
I

Iddie4him

desi said:
The Holy Spirit as it is mentioned in the New Testament seems to preclude depression. If you look at the horrible situations the Apostles were in and how they never lost heart you will see for yourself. Also if you look back at the Old testament the only times people are mentioned as depressed is when they are under extreme duress, life in peril a la David & Job. Finally, if you look at less develpoed countries today where people live in squalor and work hard for meager food and shelter you see a sharp decline in the incidence of depression, Africa & South American, versus industrialized nations where we have it easy. You can argue all you want about how insensitive and cruel I am for mentioning such things but they seem to be accurate. We can ignore them and say desi's all wrong because we don't like him or we can look at what's going on and work on a solution. The choice is ours.
* puts mod hat on briefly.
Desi,
Here is another rule violation......What are we supposed to do or say ?

.:Forum Rule 7:.
Rule No. 7 - No Public Posts about Specific Moderator Actions

7) You will not post questions or comments about the specific actions of a moderator in a public forum (eg. editing a post, deleting a thread, banning a member), as this remains a private matter between the member and the staff involved. However, members may PM or email a moderator at anytime. General questions about staff and feedback about moderators are allowed, just not specific questions about a particular moderator action. All decisions to edit, move or delete a post or thread are based on this set of rules listed here.

Please reread the rules and follow them.

Upvote 0

Hopeful

Feb 2, 2003
Visit site
✟1,199.00
Faith
Protestant
desi said:
I'll mention what I said to 'the banner' in the PM he referred to. The Holy Spirit as it is mentioned in the New Testament seems to preclude depression. If you look at the horrible situations the Apostles were in and how they never lost heart you will see for yourself. Also if you look back at the Old testament the only times people are mentioned as depressed is when they are under extreme duress, life in peril a la David & Job. Finally, if you look at less develpoed countries today where people live in squalor and work hard for meager food and shelter you see a sharp decline in the incidence of depression, Africa & South American, versus industrialized nations where we have it easy. You can argue all you want about how insensitive and cruel I am for mentioning such things but they seem to be accurate. We can ignore them and say desi's all wrong because we don't like him or we can look at what's going on and work on a solution. The choice is ours.
I am African and study in US and i'm clinically depressed, i dont understand your point?

Upvote 0

Salsa_1960

Oct 29, 2003
Iowa
✟16,257.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What is really sad about "depression-bashing" posts such as Desi's is that not only are they informationally incorrect, they are also of no benefit to the original post-er of this thread.

Desi is entitled to his opinions (incorrect as they may be), and possibly they may be of some benefit on a debate forum, but they are absolutely of no use on this thread which began with a woman having questions about suicide. Desi's insensitivity the seriousness of this thread merely shows the selfish motivation/s behind his posts.

Debbi, please ignore the arguments made by post-ers such as this who refuse to acknowledge the existence of depression in the Christian community. Depression that is infact not sinful and is a very real and existing illness.

PM me if you'd like to "talk" more about it.

~Sandy

Upvote 0

Debbi

Sep 23, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,863.00
Faith
Protestant
Desi, there are more than one kind of depression. You are trying to refer to a general depression when someone is just down or blue. It is alot different than Major Depression. Have you ever heard of a medical book called DSM IV. It is what psychiatrist make mental illnesses diagnosis from. Are you a medical doctor? Then how can you diagnose someone you never met? I have been diagnosed with different mental illnesses and in case you didn't know but about 70% of the people who commit suicide had untreated depression. So telling me to just trust God and don't get any other help could be deadly. Just thought I'd mention that. Incidently, Job was so depressed that he told God he wished he was never born. And David wept so hard that he couldn't cry anymore. He said something about tears being his meat day and night. I can quote scriptures too with the best of them so don't tell me people didn't get depressed in the Bible. Some people in the Bible committed suicide, too. If I was holding a gun to my head, and you were talking that stuff, it would more than likely make me think you don't care and why not pull the trigger. Try some compassion how about it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pmarquette

Nov 17, 2003
Auburn , IL.
Visit site
✟8,938.00
Faith
Protestant
Debbi said:
What do you say to someone who is suicidal? That just wants to end it all and pull the trigger and has nothing to live for. Counselling didn't help and neither did antidepressants. Cutting deep doesn't help either.
:pray:

Paul says Jesus will use that within us , to minister to others :
1 Cor 1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

1 Cor 1:28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:

In Genesis 50 , Isaih 40 ,and Romans 8 It is written that all will work out , will turn around if we don't give up on God , give up on ourselves :
Gen 50:20 But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.
Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Isa 40:31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Lord I lay this oppression , disease , and travail at the foot of the Cross ;
Lord God , it is written that all who came to Jesus were healed ;
that all who asked received , that all who sought found , that all who knocked the door was opened to them . :priest:

I thank you for interceding on my behalf , delivering me , anointing me ,
and imparting a strength , a vision , a purpose in my life , that I might
over come what is coming against me .:hug:

I thank you , in Jesus' name , amen .

Upvote 0
i know this is going to sound completly insane. but why bother the person at all? why not leave them alone? i mean.....if they really want to commit suicide...
if someone says that they are thinking of suicide then they are asking for help because they wouldnt say that if they really didnt want to live. but if someone is suicidal there is really nothing you can do for them....except pray. but if they are really suicidal then they really dont want to live and one way or another they will attempt or even commit suicide

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Debbi

Sep 23, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,863.00
Faith
Protestant
Backward in Time, I think I wrote the original post about myself mostly. I was really depressed at the time because of the holidays. I was nice of you to try but telling me it is alright to go ahead and kill myself was not alright. God is helping me with what I'm going through. There is no other hope for me, the meds and counselling don't work. Would have been nice if you had been a bit more encouraging with scripture or something though. Doofus, who was your post directed towards then? If I was going to kill myself right then, I wouldn't have bothered to post or ask for help.

Upvote 0

doofus125

Goodbye
Aug 31, 2003
✟3,627.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Debbi said:
Backward in Time, I think I wrote the original post about myself mostly. I was really depressed at the time because of the holidays. I was nice of you to try but telling me it is alright to go ahead and kill myself was not alright. God is helping me with what I'm going through. There is no other hope for me, the meds and counselling don't work. Would have been nice if you had been a bit more encouraging with scripture or something though. Doofus, who was your post directed towards then? If I was going to kill myself right then, I wouldn't have bothered to post or ask for help.
backward in time said:
i know this is going to sound completly insane. but why bother the person at all? why not leave them alone? i mean.....if they really want to commit suicide...
if someone says that they are thinking of suicide then they are asking for help because they wouldnt say that if they really didnt want to live. but if someone is suicidal there is really nothing you can do for them....except pray. but if they are really suicidal then they really dont want to live and one way or another they will attempt or even commit suicide
That post there is what I was refering to. As for having no hope, there is always hope with Christ Jesus by our side. It may seem like he's not there, but he is. Trust me when I say I know what it's like to be seriously depressed and doctors and meds don't help because that is where I'm at right now and after 5 years I'm finally starting to start to feel better. Don't give up. Do you have any friends that would spend more time with you to encourage you and pray for you?

Upvote 0
i never said go ahead and do it....im not trying to cause trouble but really.....ive been suicidal before. and just because someone told me they cared and didnt want me to die didnt stop me from attempting. someone who wants to commit suicide will find away to do it in the end. im sorry debbi. if one of my friends said that they were thinking of suicide i would not tell them to go ahead and do it. but really there is nothing that i would be able to do for them.
sorry,
Backward in time (aka - Brooke)

Upvote 0