What do you think?

G

GodDreamer

Hey guys!
I hope all is well with you guys.
First, this post is not meant to be a place for people to bash churches they have experienced. I'm simply asking how you would handle the situation :) Currently I am doing an internship at a church that claims to be pentecostal. I've hit some bumps a long the way...which is to be expected. First bump was the leadership drinking....not getting drunk mind you....now I am fully aware that there are different perspectives on drinking...however this is an Assemblies of God church...where the leadership are in essence not allowed to drink any alcohol....I am under contract with my school where I will not be in an environment where people are consuming alcohol (aka hanging around those who are drinking) they knew this, but took me out to eat, at a pub and were consuming alcohol anyways...we addressed this, and moved on...then the same week, the some of the leadership were talking about homosexuality, and how they believe a person is born like that and that it is not sinful at all....now the Bible is very clear that homosexuality is sinful, and that a person becomes homosexual when God gives them over to their sinful desires...etc...and now I am finding out that one of the small group leaders (who I actually lead with) is an atheist....and the pastor and leadership all have known this from the very beginning, and asked him to be a group leader because he has leadership skills.
How do you respond to this? I understand everyone has a different stance on alcohol, so putting that aside, what do you do when a church is doing things that are completely unbiblical or endorsing things that aren't biblical? My internship is over in a week...but that's still a week that I can have an impact. I'm just blown away. Anyways, what are your thoughts? How would you handle the situation? What is the biblical way to handle this. I've talked to the pastor before about the first two things...and some of the leadership...but all in all i felt like i was just brushed off...and was basically told in a round about way that I am just the weaker Christian but they'll abstain from alcohol while I'm here because Paul instructs us to not do things that will make our weaker brother or sister fall.

lilmissmontana

singing my hallelujah song
Feb 22, 2005
the wings of a snow white dove
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
wow ... there's a whole lot going on there ... what does your heart tell you to do? bless you for knowing who you follow ... for sure in the future you should be cautious not to be pulled into these situations ... and if it occurs, perhaps try to find a way to depart the situation gracefully ...

you're requesting how to handle this ... first I'd like to say thank you for not requesting what we think of it ... you hit the nail on the head ... in all things the thing we're responsible for is our reaction and action to the reaction ...

this is where I'm at with it ... ask the Lord what He wants you to do about it. He's the one who knows the exact words to be used when and where ... sometimes none are to be said ... some things are for us to discern to know who is who ... that can go a long ways in knowing who to trust ... also, He will know exactly who you should speak to if it's His will ... and, if push comes to shove ... go to district, maybe ...

Know that He appreciates it when we focus on our growth in these things and not the others perceived iniquities and sins. It's just me, but I have a policy of when I don't know what to do ... I wait until I do know what to do ... not always, but often in the tween things get sorted out ... also, some things aren't our battle ... during those times our part is to focus on the things He asks of us ... spreading love, joy and patience ... keeping His commandments, etc ... but at all times keeping our ears and eyes open and our armor on ...

and congradulations on you're internship ... way cool! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

SirKenny85

Nov 30, 2010
Arizona
✟7,935.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Sometimes (not saying this is what you should do) we're just to pray for God's truth, His way, etc.

Nicely put :clap:

The whole thing sounds a little crazy to be honest. Not you that's crazy mind you, the situation itself in general (lol.) I can understand the drinking thing a bit, since they want you to be a good role model for the youth and whatnot especially if when they hired you, you checked the little box that says "I do not drink" ..But then again if they hired you just assuming based on being a Pentecostal that you wouldn't drink, then that's their fault, because some Pentecostals do drink from what I've seen : )

When you mentioned the Atheist thing, that kinda threw me for a loop. The main point of a youth camp (especially a Christian one) is to spread the word and help the youngsters. The kids look to the older ones as leaders and mentors, so to hired an atheist seems kinda...well...out there

Just my two cents anyways...Hope all works out :)

Upvote 0
G

GodDreamer

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your words....it's just really frustrating situation to be in, because I do want to react, but I don't think reacting is the answer here either. If you all would just be praying with me on all of this I would appreciate it. If anything, this is a great way to learn how I am going to work with people of other beliefs when I am in full time ministry.

Upvote 0

lilmissmontana

singing my hallelujah song
Feb 22, 2005
the wings of a snow white dove
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your words....it's just really frustrating situation to be in, because I do want to react, but I don't think reacting is the answer here either. If you all would just be praying with me on all of this I would appreciate it. If anything, this is a great way to learn how I am going to work with people of other beliefs when I am in full time ministry.

prayer we can do :) your attitude is awesome :thumbsup:

Father, we come before you to ask for Your touch on this situation ... that You, in all Your wisdom and strength, lead, guide, and direct this one through this to the rainbow on the other side ... be it Your will ... in Jesus sweet and precious name ... Amen.

may your will be His will
and may He bless you richly on the Way
lilmiss

Upvote 0