What do you think of watching Harry Potter?

SilverBlade

May 12, 2013
✟16,008.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The problem is look to Candylunas response above, that which is SPECIFICALLY CALLED SIN in Gods Word...gets normalized and viewed as a positive to the new believers...yet it is absolutely sin...how do you suppose homosexuality has become normalized in the world, and even in the church...through christians normalizing sin as "ok"...

Even in your comment, you defend watching something that promotes VICTORY FOR GOOD, through use of the magic arts (SIN). That is the message you send to your weaker brother and sisters who do not yet fully understand. Do you see how twisted that is...SIN is NEVER good, it is always SIN. Anything that puts a nice face on SIN, is sin and unholy...be NOT deceived.

I just don't see where the sin lies. You see it as a promotion of using magic as good vs evil. I see the 'magic' in the movie on a technical level: post production animation. Even real Wiccan's have come out and said the stuff in Harry Potter is just fluff.

Does it portray magic? Yes. Is magic a dominion of Satan? Yes. Is the magic in Harry Potter 'real'? no. Calling the 'magic' in Harry Potter real (to me) is like saying the character, Harry Potter, is real. It's fake "magic", being portrayed by fake characters, by actors who don't believe in magic.

Upvote 0

slickvolt

Sep 26, 2013
✟7,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I just don't see where the sin lies. You see it as a promotion of using magic as good vs evil. I see the 'magic' in the movie on a technical level: post production animation. Even real Wiccan's have come out and said the stuff in Harry Potter is just fluff.

Does it portray magic? Yes. Is magic a dominion of Satan? Yes. Is the magic in Harry Potter 'real'? no. Calling the 'magic' in Harry Potter real (to me) is like saying the character, Harry Potter, is real. It's fake "magic", being portrayed by fake characters, by actors who don't believe in magic.

I didnt say, as you say above "a promotion of using magic as good vs. evil"...I said that the movie TEACHES that VICTORY can be achieved through SIN. And further it makes Christians like YOU, teach new christians that watching such drivel is perfectly ok...even if it does promote a false Biblical message...a message that says flee from sin...it doesnt say sit around watch it, be entertained by it, marginalize and justify it...least not in my bible...mine says HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

I may have mistaken you for a mature christian in the Lord...that would be my bad, Gods word is not even slightly vague on this...if your a christian, you should really want nothing at all to do with such garbage...it teaches a falsestory of good conquering evil through embracing A SINFUL APPROACH (the magic arts). What good is there in the story that uses and promotes sin to accomplish victory? The answer is obvious...None!

God says "Be Holy, for I AM HOLY"...is the viewer obeying that Command if they Know that "magic arts" are sin? Of course not! Does it mean they cant ever watch such material...no...how can I say that, you should be asking?

Simple, if you are a parent, you have a responsibility to raise your children up in the way they should go, God forms each person in the womb, they are given over to human parents for a time, children are expected to be returned to the Lord,as believing christians, fully aware of the ABSOLUTE HOLINESS of God. Previewing this material as a mature christian parent would be a wise Godly step to 1. Find out what the World wants to teach your children, 2. Showing the child the falseness of what the World "packs" into its entertainment compared to what Jesus says is wise and righteous. Thiswould be acceptable use.

But for the everyday true believing christian, THERE SHOULD BE NO INTEREST IN SUCH ENTERTAINMENT, once it is known to them what the anti-christian message is contained in the storyline. No more than an interest to watch inappropriate contentography...as they are of equal value to the Lord. Be Holy, as I AM Holy...says the Lord. Wisdom to the believer....foolishness to the perishing...

Upvote 0

Gospel Guy

Headed Home!
Aug 11, 2013
✟1,829.00
Faith
Word of Faith
I grew up with "Harry Potter and Dungeons of Dragons are evil and demonic and you should avoid at all costs!" by fundamental extremists. So I never watched any of it.

But what do you think?

It's no worse than going to a physic, a witch, or a satanist :doh:

HP, D&D, and other similar forms of entertainment WILL open doors to demonic spirits and you will be bitten because you are allow them to come past the spiritual hedge of protection the Lord has purchased for you thru His shed Blood at the Cross.... DON'T do it

Upvote 0

SilverBlade

May 12, 2013
✟16,008.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It's no worse than going to a physic, a witch, or a satanist :doh:

HP, D&D, and other similar forms of entertainment WILL open doors to demonic spirits and you will be bitten because you are allow them to come past the spiritual hedge of protection the Lord has purchased for you thru His shed Blood at the Cross.... DON'T do it

You believe that demons will hop off of the blu-ray disc, even though the 'magic' in HP is effectively special effects added in post-production? And you are basically an 'observer' not an 'practitioner'? Where's the logic in that?

I've seen the H.P movies and I have zero desire..none, to learn about witchcraft.

But I can make a pretty wicked lightning bolt in Autodesk Maya (which is the most common 3D modelling program that most studios use for special effects) Does that make me a practitioner of magic? I fail to see it.

I just see actors spewing crazy lines waiving sticks in the air, sometimes in front of green screens.

Upvote 0

IT REALLY SAYS

Aug 9, 2017
florida
✟18,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
While trying to perform witchcraft yourself is against the Bible, I hardly see how reading a book that openly calls itself fantasy and just happens to have fictitious magic in it is somehow sinful.

Anyway, I've read all the books and seen most of the movies, and I find them enjoyable. I'm not obsessed with them like some people are, but they're interesting stories.
And just where do you feel the ideas for such things come from?

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

IT REALLY SAYS

Aug 9, 2017
florida
✟18,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.

(2 Cor 11:14)
Exactly, whoa to you who call evil good and good evil - there are 2 sides in HP movies, harry and Lord V.... the Lord is protrayed as evil while harry is good Yet both use the powers of devils.... this shows that there is good magic when there isnt.... how many children go to bed dreaming of being able to enter into that magical world and of course HP is a steping stone to newer movies that take it further.... ask yourself this, the next time they are casting spells and they speak in a tongue you dont understand..... does this not make you wonder whats being called for in your house? Ever wonder if their saying real demonic spells in your house and whats being asked of those demons?

Upvote 0

IT REALLY SAYS

Aug 9, 2017
florida
✟18,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You believe that demons will hop off of the blu-ray disc, even though the 'magic' in HP is effectively special effects added in post-production? And you are basically an 'observer' not an 'practitioner'? Where's the logic in that?

I've seen the H.P movies and I have zero desire..none, to learn about witchcraft.

But I can make a pretty wicked lightning bolt in Autodesk Maya (which is the most common 3D modelling program that most studios use for special effects) Does that make me a practitioner of magic? I fail to see it.

I just see actors spewing crazy lines waiving sticks in the air, sometimes in front of green screens.
Then you should educate yourself, look into occult and witchcraft used in the hp movies..... it not as you say.

Oh Jesus I dont do witchcraft I only watch movies about it... where do you think all these ideas come from? Ofcourse its fun to watch, what did you think the devil was going for? The devil makes all kinds of things fun..... of course harry is funny looking, the better to get your guard down over him using demonic magic...cute ol harmless harry...

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I grew up with "Harry Potter and Dungeons of Dragons are evil and demonic and you should avoid at all costs!" by fundamental extremists. So I never watched any of it.

But what do you think?

The way I look at it is, we are supposed to love what God loves and hate what God hates. God hates paganism and witchcraft, and unfortunately dungeons and dragons and harry potter are steeped in it.

Upvote 0

Aimz

member with autism
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2017
TQ
✟50,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have read some of the books I also like other fantasy books that include magic and are based in this world or in other worlds. I think it comes down to personal discernment or spiritual adulting as my family puts it. If you get easily obsessed with things and devote more time to fantasy than reality then avoiding Harry Potter and similar themes across media is probably a good idea. The world is not designed to have a Christian’s best interest at heart. If you can keep fantasy in its place and not become a slave to it then it is still up to you. Like Paul says everything is lawful but not everything is beneficial. Use due diligence and pray asking if it is appropriate for you or if it will become a stumbling block. That would be my advice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SistrNChrist

Aug 17, 2006
NYC
✟30,387.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I personally don't think watching the movies or reading the books are sin for me, because I'm mature enough in my faith to know how to distinguish what is fantasy versus what is reality, so I see reading the books as just a fun way to pass the time and don't take any of that seriously enough to actually want to practice magic or sorcery. That being said, if you personally feel convicted that you shouldn't be reading it, then don't.

Upvote 0

SistrNChrist

Aug 17, 2006
NYC
✟30,387.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Exactly, whoa to you who call evil good and good evil - there are 2 sides in HP movies, harry and Lord V.... the Lord is protrayed as evil while harry is good Yet both use the powers of devils.... this shows that there is good magic when there isnt.... how many children go to bed dreaming of being able to enter into that magical world and of course HP is a steping stone to newer movies that take it further.... ask yourself this, the next time they are casting spells and they speak in a tongue you dont understand..... does this not make you wonder whats being called for in your house? Ever wonder if their saying real demonic spells in your house and whats being asked of those demons?
Speak in a tongue you don't understand? The vast majority of the spells used in those books are Latin words, so if you've taken enough vocabulary courses in high school or in college, it should be a no brainer to understand what your children are actually saying when they talk about the spells used in the book.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then you should educate yourself, look into occult and witchcraft used in the hp movies..... ...

Hello. I disagree. You should definitely not look into any sort of occult or any sort of witchcraft. If you have spare time look into the word of God more, profitable things. But don't let even the tiniest toehold of the occult into your life. God Bless :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So you are against reading Narnia?

Doesn't matter what I'm against. What is the Lord against? I pray that we all read his word more and know his will better. More of his word, less fantasy about boy wizards. God Bless You :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In Philippans 3:8 The Apostle Paul describes his adherence of the Jewish Law and custom as dung compared to knowing Christ. If the Jewish law is dung, what would he say of Harry Potter books?

Have courage good people to say 'NO' to worldly things. Remember, the world and it's desires shall pass but those who do the will of the Lord shall live forever!

God Bless All :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Denadii

Aug 27, 2017
Western
✟31,027.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

But what do you think?
I think you should continue not watching any of it. Those things you mentioned are in the realm of the Satanic. You have no need to go in there.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
savedbyJesus7 said:
But what do you think?

thesunisout said:
The way I look at it is, we are supposed to love what God loves and hate what God hates. God hates paganism and witchcraft, and unfortunately dungeons and dragons and harry potter are steeped in it.

Yes, paganism and witchcraft actually practiced is abominable to God. But such things not named in scripture will depend on what you do with them. I only saw the first Harry Potter belatedly, on TV sometime. It didn't leave a bad impact on me, but it didn't leave a lasting impression either, I don't remember much from it. Dungeons and dragons will be what you do with them too. I have played in it, and for a time made a game myself from it, but it wasn't demonic then, though some others maybe use demonic elements. But one who said he was Christian was running what I had played in, and I was Christian when I made a game to run myself, then. Christian elements were used, with God's power in everything assumed. Is that to still be thought demonic? For the way I use it, and I think others too, I don't really think such would be demonic, and not steeped in paganism and witchcraft. I think there is more relationship in that with Chronicles of Narnia or Lord of the Rings, and it can be godly. Would you think those are demonic? What about Gandalf, who is called a wizard even, is this to be thought of as a demonic character? He would not be thought so if it is really looked into with critical essays and commentaries on Lord of the Rings too.

Upvote 0