What do you think of watching Harry Potter?

justhere1

May 29, 2013
✟17,538.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was raised not to read the books or watch the movies because it was considered witchcraft and demonic. I only had one thing Harry Potter related and that was supposed to be some candy kit that made gummy bearlike candy and I never even used that. I don't have a desire to watch Harry Potter now or read it, not because of the supposed witchcraft in it, but because it just looks boring.

Upvote 0

ProudMomxmany

slightly insane mom of many
Jul 6, 2013
✟17,163.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My kids read the books...well...some of the books. They thought the books were stupid and went back to the Chronicles of Narnia. They've enjoyed those and the Eragon series.

I've never really put any limits on what my kids read, unless it's pretty obvious that there are a lot of issues with whatever it is. We will discuss various topics based on the books they've read, and some of the books have had to wait until they are older, but for the most part, I would hope, as a parent, I've taught my children enough for them to be able to discern if this book is something they should read.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I grew up with "Harry Potter and Dungeons of Dragons are evil and demonic and you should avoid at all costs!" by fundamental extremists. So I never watched any of it.

But what do you think?

I agree with you 100%. I have expressed such views publicly, including CF, and have gotten hammered for it.

Upvote 0

savedbyJesus7

Saved by Jesus
Oct 2, 2013
Universe #PKUXb982 (the Presently Known Universe)
✟8,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree with you 100%. I have expressed such views publicly, including CF, and have gotten hammered for it.

So you think they are evil? Please elaborate. No condemnation, I want to hear what you have to say.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bobby64

Jun 23, 2012
Somewhere
✟16,666.00
Country
Gambia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
While trying to perform witchcraft yourself is against the Bible, I hardly see how reading a book that openly calls itself fantasy and just happens to have fictitious magic in it is somehow sinful.

Anyway, I've read all the books and seen most of the movies, and I find them enjoyable. I'm not obsessed with them like some people are, but they're interesting stories.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Candyluna

Oct 15, 2013
✟15,121.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
I read the book yeara ago before I was a christian. I love the book. I dont think that god considers it sinning. the book is about good and evil and good wins. It just mixes fantasis that kida grow up with. I think god gave the author a talent and am opportunity to get out of poverty, why would it be a sin to enjoy a creative book?

Upvote 0

slickvolt

Sep 26, 2013
✟7,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I read the book yeara ago before I was a christian. I love the book. I dont think that god considers it sinning. the book is about good and evil and good wins. It just mixes fantasis that kida grow up with. I think god gave the author a talent and am opportunity to get out of poverty, why would it be a sin to enjoy a creative book?

Candyluna,

Please understand my response is not an attack on you, merely a teachable moment from Gods word, remember this is not intended to reflect negatively on you, I understand you are young in Christ, so there is much to learn, and that is my intent here. I am older and even I have much to still learn.

Reading the book for the reasons you state are no different than liking an X rated movie, just because you felt the author was using his/her talent, and an opportunity for the inappropriate content actors/actresses to make money and get out of poverty. In addition even if the inappropriate contentographies storyline promoted good triumphing evil, and believe me inappropriate content does exist that does that, where the bad guy loses and the good guy wins, that has nothing to do with subject matter that is holy vs unholy.

Remember Candy YOU are called to be HOLY...and that means seperated, set apart...set apart from what? SINFUL BEHAVIOR or glorification of sin. Ms. Rowlings stories promote victory through the use of the magic arts..God acknowledges the magic arts exist, but makes it clear, they that use them, are his scoffers, not his friends, and certainly not HIS...which means they belong to who? The Evil One.

For reference see Revelation 21:8

"But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

And see Revelation 22:15

"Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood."

Candy, we all know unbelievers who are very nice, yet they are going to hell if they refuse to submit to Gods Will, just as we ALL must do. All their works are like FILTHY RAGS to the Lord.

God Bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slickvolt

Sep 26, 2013
✟7,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You'll find far more dangerously acceptable sins behind the scenes in your local church than in the "witchcraft" and "sorcery" you find in any of the Harry Potter books/movies.

By whose standards? Yours? Gods Word specifically calls out the magic arts as sin(see Revelation 9:21, 21:8, and 22:15)

Ms. Rowlings books teach the magic arts are ok, and can be used for good. Gods word (which IS Jesus, see John 1), say magic arts are sin and will seperate you from God...so who to believe Ms. Rowling? or God/Jesus? I think the answer is obvious.

The very fact we are discussing this, a topic Gods Word is CLEAR on, shows Satan , the deceiver has his fingers inyour flesh...resist him...when Jesus was tempted by the Devil, the Devil called into question Gods Word...do you know how Jesus answered each temptation? By quoting back to Satan the truth from Gods Word...a lesson to all "chosen", the Bible, is your standard, it is your sword, your shield, and your refuge...you are defenseless against Satan if you dont hold on to Jesus (the Word)!

Upvote 0

SilverBlade

May 12, 2013
✟16,008.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think that reading or watching the Harry Potter movies are books does not equate to using magic itself. You're merely an observer. Quite frankly, the 'magic' used in the Harry Potter stories isn't even real. No one really believes that we can fly on brooms, or use some wooden stick to toss fireballs around. It's merely special effects to me.

I personally think they are boring movies. Amazing special effects..otherwise boring movies.

Upvote 0

slickvolt

Sep 26, 2013
✟7,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think that reading or watching the Harry Potter movies are books does not equate to using magic itself. You're merely an observer. Quite frankly, the 'magic' used in the Harry Potter stories isn't even real. No one really believes that we can fly on brooms, or use some wooden stick to toss fireballs around. It's merely special effects to me.

I personally think they are boring movies. Amazing special effects..otherwise boring movies.

The problem is look to Candylunas response above, that which is SPECIFICALLY CALLED SIN in Gods Word...gets normalized and viewed as a positive to the new believers...yet it is absolutely sin...how do you suppose homosexuality has become normalized in the world, and even in the church...through christians normalizing sin as "ok"...

Even in your comment, you defend watching something that promotes VICTORY FOR GOOD, through use of the magic arts (SIN). That is the message you send to your weaker brother and sisters who do not yet fully understand. Do you see how twisted that is...SIN is NEVER good, it is always SIN. Anything that puts a nice face on SIN, is sin and unholy...be NOT deceived.

Upvote 0