New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The thing is...presumably, you love your father, also. When you love *two* people, and they are hurting and betraying each other and you know that you certainly don't have the whole story...what do you do then? Staying out of it and refusing to take sides is a legitimate option.

Not the *only* option, but a legitimate one.

Quite right..

for those people who insist you have to do "something" I don't understand what more they think there is to do after you have informed someone of something and they have chosen not do anything. I'm not going to harass a family member or friend to do what I think I would do in a given situation.

and it doesn't matter if the daughter asked the father's friend about the situation or if the friend just told her.. either way it's gossip not based on first hand knowledge.. dangerous stuff to spread around.

Upvote 0

Zentancia

Sep 29, 2007
✟7,926.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I personally think things like this are the child's business. When I believe that my mom and dad are having problems, I talk to my mom about them and, sure, sometimes she gets a little mad at me for assuming, but in the end she just explains that its the way their relationship works. Nothing may change, but I still think it is better to talk about it. Then again not everyone's relationship with their parents is the same, so not everyone can talk to their parents about things like this.

This advice was from someone writing a column who knows nothing about this girl's specific relationship with her parents. This is a very touchy subject to be even giving advice on because the "what ifs" and the "maybes" are too numerous. People can give their opinions or say "this is what I would do" but in the end the only person who can really decide what to do is the person with the problem.

Upvote 0