Oct 16, 2006
Australia
✟8,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello.

I found this in an Aussie newspaper and it got up my nose a bit. I shared it in Aus/NZ regional, but thought it might get a more lively response here.

No, it is not to do with homosexuality or abortion.
This is from the “M” section of The Age (Melbourne Fairfax paper) on 5/7/08.

ABOUT LAST NIGHT

Each week, sex columnist Maureen Matthews answers your questions about sex, intimacy and relationships.

Q. I am a young woman. For some time, I’ve suspected my father of cheating on my mother. My suspicions have now been confirmed by one of his mates. My father has maintained an image of high moral respectability. That is why it disturbs me that he visits a brothel, and watches inappropriate content regularly. He is 60 years old – well past the age for a midlife crisis. I told my mother, but she dismissed it in denial. Why is it that my father, so late in life, behaves this way? Please help me to work out what to do.

A. Although I sympathise with your disappointment, I have to tell you to mind your own business. Just as you would not want your parents prying into your private life, so too you, must respect their privacy. Children believe their parents to be all-powerful gods, who can do no wrong. Part of growing up is coming to the understanding that they are, in fact, flawed humans like the rest of us. This realisation can be painful but that’s life. I realise that you also feel indignant on your mother’s behalf, but this situation involves only your parents.

Having suspicions is one thing. Grilling your father’s friends is totally unacceptable. His “mate” should not have told you anything. If you really wanted to know, you should have spoken to your father directly. His friend has betrayed his trust.
You also had no right to go to your mother with this. Interpersonal relationships are very complex. Only the couple involved know the full situation. In some marriages, people come to arrangements. Perhaps your mother no longer wants sex, and has tactfully come to an agreement that she won’t ask what he does so long as he is discreet. This is one of a number of possibilities. Some people choose to tolerate something distasteful rather than walk away from years of marriage, their home, their security. What you call denial might simply be a reluctance to talk to you.
Your father is 60. To you, that seems like a grand old age. In fact, he is a relatively young man with all the urges of other men. He is not committing a crime, and his moral decisions rest between him and his conscience. A person can be a respectable member of society and have a sex life. The reason it’s newsworthy when a TV evangelist is caught out is because they make a living demanding standards of behaviour that they are not upholding. I think it’s only fair that you tell your father what’s happened. He has a right to sort out whatever mess you might have caused. Most little girls are slightly in love with their dads. You feel hurt by the discovery that he is not the man your childish fantasy imagined. Perhaps you feel tha your love has been betrayed. If you are suffering from anxiety over this, or find that you cannot put it out of your mind, you might benefit from talking to a counsellor. You need to work on your reactions, not on his behaviour.

Your father is an adult, and is free to live his life as he sees fit. He also has a right to privacy andyour parents will conduct their relatnionship in whatever way they feel comfortable. Stop snooping, stop meddling, and focus on living your own adult life.

Do you think she was a bit harsh? Seriously, what would most people do if they found out one of their parents was having an affair? I've had issues with my mum, but i'd tell her straight away (if they weren't already divorced).

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think she is a wee bit harsh, but I agree with her assessment of the situation. Her parents may have a don't ask/don't tell arraignment.

I have no problem with her discussing the situation with her father.

--She should NOT approach her mother with the news.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I agree with the essence of the response ('It´s none of your business. Your problem is your response. You need to grow up').
I am not sure about the delivery, though.
MM is very confrontational, she is making assumptions about the person asking and bases judgement on those assumptions.

Now, there are occasions where being confrontational and direct can be the best way to get a message across, but for that you need to know the person better than a newspaper advice giver possibly can from a short question.

It would be interesting to know what her typical style of response is. It´s possible that she´s always that upfront, confrontational and direct - in which case I would assume that that´s exactly what the persons asking her advice are appreciating her for and expect when asking her.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I disagree with the idea that it's none of the daughter's business. It IS her business, at least indirectly, because her mother deserves to be aware of him visiting brothels for her own safety (health wise), which the advice columnist seems to ignore. If you had a very strong inkling that someone was behaving in a way that could hurt a loved one, wouldn't you try verify you are correct and bring it up to your loved one?

She told her mother, and the mother didn't believe it. The problem is that the mother is still at risk because not believing it is just as bad as not knowing. If the mother and father are still having unprotected sex, then there's a health risk to the mother which I think justifies some additional effort to make her acknowledge. If the mother wants to ignore the issue, then it's none of the daughter's business as long as she is aware of it and can take appropriate precautions when it comes to sex.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
Well, as long as he isn't openly lying about it (not just words, but actions). See, if my father did something like that, I would have to approach him because of his position in certain organizations require him to be faithful to his wife, and shouldn't be lying about that. It would the same with a crime. If I caught him doing something illegal, I don't think it would be right to just keep quite. Now, while you may say that is a crime and this isn't, what make it a crime is that the organization (the government) declared it wrong, just like the organization in question had declared being unfaithful wrong.

There is a possibility that it may be none of the daughters business, but that is a possibility, and thus the opposite is true. Why should she act off one possibility and not the other? I would say it is her choice.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the response was blunt but I tend to agree with most of the general bent of the suggestion to "mind your own business"

I do think grilling friends and family is not appropriate. If I found out information about a parent or sibling/siblings spouse that was not via gossip (perhaps I observed something, or was told directly by the person involved in the adultery) then I most likely would explain the situation to my other parent, or family member. What they choose to do (or not do) is their business..

Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
This is a family. If the girl has a problem with inappropriate content as a corrupting influence on society (and she probably has good reason to believe this) she should confront her parents.

Oh please, because stirring up an argument is so much healthier for a family than leaving well enough alone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
This is a family. If the girl has a problem with inappropriate content as a corrupting influence on society (and she probably has good reason to believe this) she should confront her parents.
More generally speaking I think we all should confront others with our problems more and make them their problems.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
Oh please, because stirring up an argument is so much healthier for a family than leaving well enough alone.

Still it depends. If that man was, say a pastor, then confronting him now could really help keep some nasty stuff from hitting the fan, and thus would be the better course of action.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because confronting your parents over information provided by gossip so honors them.

I think it quite sufficient to quietly inform a family member when you are aware of something (and not through third party information, and not byb running around investigating their behavior like some private detective) and then leave them with their own conscience if they do not care to discuss it further.

Upvote 0

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I've been in that situation, and I did nothing. I was very tempted to tell my dad that if he didn't tell mom, I would. Eventually, I came to believe (for various reasons) that my mom already knew and had ok-ed it.
It turned out I was wrong about that, but they ended up divorcing a few years later, which I think is for the best.

Upvote 0

SaintInChicago

Oct 16, 2007
✟1,228.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you love someone you don't stand there and watch them get betrayed over and over. You do something to stop it. If "best friends watch each other's backs" then it stands to reason that family members are bonded even more tightly. Think about it. This is your mother. A woman who carried you through every minute of the day for nine months, and then carried you through so many things growing up. You cannot number the sacrifices she has made for you. And when she is betrayed the greatest betrayal --a sacred oath of fidelity by her closest companion --you are supposed to shrug your shoulders and ignore it? When we look at the reality of the situation it is nothing less than disgusting to suggest that you should turn a blind eye.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

oneofthem

Oct 16, 2006
Australia
✟8,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it's pretty harsh, and she's making a few assumptions there. I doubt very much that she has been in that situation herself...unless she was the one doing the cheating.

She assumes the girl was prying by asking others about her father's activities, when all she said was that a mate of his told her. He may have taken that initiative to tell her.

And whilst she reasons that there may be other possibilities such as some kind of arrangement other than deception going on, it is much more likely that what this girl suspects is true. If her father has brought her up with certain moral standards, and things aren't liking up with that behind closed doors, it would be very confusing and a tad traumatic.

And as someone mentioned here, she fails to take into account the health and safety of the mother who may not be aware and who may be at risk of HIV or other STDs by having unprotected sex with her husband.

If i was in that situation, i would confront my dad. And even though i have had issues with my mum, i would tell her if i found out what was going on. It wouldn't be my mess, it would be my dad's, simply for facing the consequences of his own actions. If it wasn't betrayal and if it was some kind of arrangement, good on them, but i would only find that out after confronting the situation.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you love someone you don't stand there and watch them get betrayed over and over. You do something to stop it. If "best friends watch each other's backs" then it stands to reason that family members are bonded even more tightly. Think about it. This is your mother. A woman who carried you through every minute of the day for nine months, and then carried you through so many things growing up. You cannot number the sacrifices she has made for you. And when she is betrayed the greatest betrayal --a sacred oath of fidelity by her closest companion --you are supposed to shrug your shoulders and ignore it? When we look at the reality of the situation it is nothing less than disgusting to suggest that you should turn a blind eye.

Friends who tell friends their spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend is cheating often find themselves without the friend.. regardless of what happens to the relationship they interfered with.

Upvote 0

SaintInChicago

Oct 16, 2007
✟1,228.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Libertarian
Friends who tell friends their spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend is cheating often find themselves without the friend.. regardless of what happens to the relationship they interfered with.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I can repeat what I said as well.. does that make the point any clearer?

As I said earlier.. if you know something as a FACT not as a gossip and tactfully share your information with that person and they do now want to deal with it then it's none of your business.

Upvote 0

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The thing is...presumably, you love your father, also. When you love *two* people, and they are hurting and betraying each other and you know that you certainly don't have the whole story...what do you do then? Staying out of it and refusing to take sides is a legitimate option.

Not the *only* option, but a legitimate one.

Upvote 0