Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
How do you get 3 nights with a Friday afternoon burial and a Sunday morning resurrection?

I don't think they were counting nights, but days. Legal days, as reckoned by an ancient culture.

Even in modern society, if you were arrested on a Friday evening and immediately sentenced to three days of incarceration, you would likely be let out on Sunday at dawn.

Upvote 0

rstrats

Jun 27, 2002
✟70,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Nihilist Virus,
re: "Even in modern society, if you were arrested on a Friday evening and immediately sentenced to three days of incarceration, you would likely be let out on Sunday at dawn."

If by days you mean calendar days, then there is no problem because at least parts of three calendar days would be involved. But what if you were specifically sentenced to three daytimes and 3 night times of incarceration?

• Useful
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Nihilist Virus,
re: "Even in modern society, if you were arrested on a Friday evening and immediately sentenced to three days of incarceration, you would likely be let out on Sunday at dawn."

If by days you mean calendar days, then there is no problem because at least parts of three calendar days would be involved. But what if you were specifically sentenced to three daytimes and 3 night times of incarceration?

Jesus, according to the legend, did not spend three days and nights being dead. Of all the problems with Christianity, why is this the thing that's getting you? :scratch:

Upvote 0

rstrats

Jun 27, 2002
✟70,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Nihilist Virus,
re: "Jesus, according to the legend, did not spend three days and nights being dead."

That's an issue for a different topic.

re: Of all the problems with Christianity, why is this the thing that's getting you?"

A number of things in scripture 'get' me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Nihilist Virus,
re: "Jesus, according to the legend, did not spend three days and nights being dead."

That's an issue for a different topic.

I'm not sure what the topic is then.

re: Of all the problems with Christianity, why is this the thing that's getting you?"

A number of things in scripure 'get' me.

How have you been finding the answers here on the apologetics forum?

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Nihilist Virus,
re: "I'm not sure what the topic is then."

I can see why. I was having a senior moment by forgetting that this was not one of my topics. Sorry.

You originally asked,

"How do you get 3 nights with a Friday afternoon burial and a Sunday morning resurrection?"

The short answer is that you don't. But I don't recall anyone ever saying that Jesus spent three nights in the tomb. And even if this was a central claim of Christianity and turned out to be false, it would have no real impact on whether or not Jesus rose from the dead.

If Jesus really did rise from the dead, then all valid criticisms of the Bible become moot. It wouldn't matter if the miracles and/or sayings attributed to Jesus are mostly false. It wouldn't matter how many contradictions and terrible commandments exist in the Bible. Christianity would still be the one true religion. Conversely, if Jesus definitively did not rise from the dead, then it wouldn't matter if every other miracle attributed to him was actually authentic. It wouldn't matter how accurate the Bible is or how well it could predict the future. Christianity would still be false.

There is not definitive evidence in either direction, and that is enough to reject the resurrection because of where the burden of proof rests. We aren't expected to prove a negative.

As for your issue, I'm totally lost on the significance of it.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟929,465.00
Faith
Atheist
You originally asked,

"How do you get 3 nights with a Friday afternoon burial and a Sunday morning resurrection?"

The short answer is that you don't. But I don't recall anyone ever saying that Jesus spent three nights in the tomb. And even if this was a central claim of Christianity and turned out to be false, it would have no real impact on whether or not Jesus rose from the dead.

If Jesus really did rise from the dead, then all valid criticisms of the Bible become moot. It wouldn't matter if the miracles and/or sayings attributed to Jesus are mostly false. It wouldn't matter how many contradictions and terrible commandments exist in the Bible. Christianity would still be the one true religion. Conversely, if Jesus definitively did not rise from the dead, then it wouldn't matter if every other miracle attributed to him was actually authentic. It wouldn't matter how accurate the Bible is or how well it could predict the future. Christianity would still be false.

There is not definitive evidence in either direction, and that is enough to reject the resurrection because of where the burden of proof rests. We aren't expected to prove a negative.

As for your issue, I'm totally lost on the significance of it.
Matthew 12:38-42
38Then some of the Pharisees and teachers of the law said to him, “Teacher, we want to see a sign from you.”

39He answered, “A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. 40For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. 41The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now something greater than Jonah is here. 42The Queen of the South will rise at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for she came from the ends of the earth to listen to Solomon’s wisdom, and now something greater than Solomon is here.
Jesus allegedly made a claim about his death and resurrection -- one that was not apparently fulfilled. That claim includes both 3 days and 3 nights.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 12:38-42
Jesus allegedly made a claim about his death and resurrection -- one that was not apparently fulfilled. That claim includes both 3 days and 3 nights.

Oh, good catch. I guess it is an actual issue. What are the apologetics on this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟929,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Oh, good catch. I guess it is an actual issue. What are the apologetics on this?
Even when I was a Christian I was never satisfied with the answers. There were two forms. The first we've seen here already -- he was in the grave on Friday, Sat., Sun.--That's 3. This answer simply ignores the 3 nights.

The second is changing the placement of the crucifixion. I don't remember the details, but it moves the crucifixion back by claiming that putting him in the grave before sundown fell on the eve of Passover (noting that we get our Easter dates from Passover) which needn't fall on Friday/Saturday. If he were placed in the grave on Wed., then you have 3 full days and nights (and some slop) getting you to Sunday morning. Thursday is a little better. I've never seen any evidence that the Jewish holidays could be/were done this way.

The best answer, were I too accept any, is that Jesus was speaking of going into the grave and coming out therefrom and that the count is merely a reference to Jonah and not necessarily to himself.

Of course, an omniscient god should know how to communicate more clearly than this.

Upvote 0

rstrats

Jun 27, 2002
✟70,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Nihilist Virus,
re: "You originally asked 'How do you get 3 nights with a Friday afternoon burial and a Sunday morning resurrection?' The short answer is that you don't. But I don't recall anyone ever saying that Jesus spent three nights in the tomb."

My question was directed to Shahab, the OP, who lists himself as a Christian in his profile. It is my experience that Christians generally believe that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with a 1st day of the week resurrection.

As was touched on by Tinker Grey, the Messiah states in Matthew 12:40 that He would be spending 3 days and 3 nights in the "heart of the earth. I was taking a chance that Shahab may be a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection believer, thus my question to him - How do you get 3 nights with a Friday afternoon burial and a Sunday morning resurrection? However, it looks like Shahab has left the building.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Nihilist Virus,
re: "You originally asked 'How do you get 3 nights with a Friday afternoon burial and a Sunday morning resurrection?' The short answer is that you don't. But I don't recall anyone ever saying that Jesus spent three nights in the tomb."

My question was directed to Shahab, the OP, who lists himself as a Christian in his profile. It is my experience that Christians generally believe that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with a 1st day of the week resurrection.

As was touched on by Tinker Grey, the Messiah states in Matthew 12:40 that He would be spending 3 days and 3 nights in the "heart of the earth. I was taking a chance that Shahab may be a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection believer, thus my question to him - How do you get 3 nights with a Friday afternoon burial and a Sunday morning resurrection? However, it looks like Shahab has left the building.

Keep asking questions and follow-up questions. You'll see that they all bail out rather quickly.

Upvote 0

Eight Foot Manchild

His Supreme Holy Correctfulness
Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What knowledge are you missing from the big picture that is bothering you? From the beginning of the world to eternity. From small to large. Hell and heaven. Good and evil. What would you like clarified?

What makes you think you are in a position to ‘clarify’ anything on any of these subjects?

That’s what I would like clarified.

Upvote 0