Isfahan
✟15,394.00
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1. Why the initial entropy of the universe was so low.
2. The best interpretation of quantum mechanics.
3. The origin and frequency of life in the universe.

Not necessarily in that order.

1. Because everything started from a single point. Entropy means disorder. How can there be a lot of disorder when everything is cramped around a single point?

2. Quantum mechanics is based on the idea of probability. Probability itself is based on the idea that it is possible to predict things without knowing the underlying causes of the event you're trying to predict. Lack of knowledge is the basis for probability. It's no surprise that Quantum mechanics reaches the same conclusion as the assumption that probability is based on. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It is formulas with no good story to connect them. It's not a good theory.

3. A living being is something that can always grow. That's it. What you call universe, is always growing (Hubble observation). That means it is a living being.
Life started in the waters. Water looks blue from the outside but when you're deep inside of it, it is dark. Just like when we look outside our planet and we find ourselves floating in darkness. The story of life is packed into this planet from the start to this moment. But that is a copy of the original story. This planet is a seed that life grows out of. This seed can be planted elsewhere with modifications to create something different. So to sum it up, the origin of (what you call) universe is the same as origin of life on this planet. It started in the darkness. We can see it from the outside when we look at the beginnings of life in the oceans and we can see it from inside when we look at the sky.

These are very short answers. I'll try to make some graphic illustrations to make the points better.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
1. Because everything started from a single point.
AFAIAA there's no evidence for that. The observable universe would have been extremely small relative to its current size (the singularity is not generally taken to be real, but a mathematical artifact), but the whole universe is vastly bigger than the observable universe, and may have been (and may still be) spatially infinite.

Entropy means disorder.
That's a rough approximation and not always correct - for example, a bottle containing half oil and half water has higher entropy in the unmixed state than in the mixed state (i.e. when well shaken), whereas the opposite is true for coffee and cream.

How can there be a lot of disorder when everything is cramped around a single point?
As above, that's not a viable description - whatever it's size then relative to its size today, it was the whole universe, and it was all very hot, very dense, and very uniform.

However, the question isn't so much how we characterise the big bang state, but why it should start that way given the time-symmetric fundamental laws of physics.

2. Quantum mechanics is based on the idea of probability. Probability itself is based on the idea that it is possible to predict things without knowing the underlying causes of the event you're trying to predict. Lack of knowledge is the basis for probability. It's no surprise that Quantum mechanics reaches the same conclusion as the assumption that probability is based on. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It is formulas with no good story to connect them. It's not a good theory.
Theories are based on their performance, not whether they have a 'good story', and quantum theory is by a long way the best physical theory we have in terms of the precision of its predictions.

However, my question was not about quantum theory per se - but about the best interpretation of it, i.e. its metaphysical meaning.

3. A living being is something that can always grow. That's it. What you call universe, is always growing (Hubble observation). That means it is a living being.
Many things can grow, e.g. crystals, celestial bodies, polymers, sinkholes, etc., but are not considered living things; my question concerned what is generally be considered to be life/living. There are many definitions, but growth alone is not definitive.

Life started in the waters. Water looks blue from the outside but when you're deep inside of it, it is dark. Just like when we look outside our planet and we find ourselves floating in darkness. The story of life is packed into this planet from the start to this moment. But that is a copy of the original story. This planet is a seed that life grows out of. This seed can be planted elsewhere with modifications to create something different. So to sum it up, the origin of (what you call) universe is the same as origin of life on this planet. It started in the darkness. We can see it from the outside when we look at the beginnings of life in the oceans and we can see it from inside when we look at the sky.
This answers neither point in my question. I'm after at least one detailed abiogenesis sequence, and at least the ratio of planets with and without life. Naturally, I don't expect anyone to provide the answers today.

These are very short answers. I'll try to make some graphic illustrations to make the points better.
Please don't trouble yourself.

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟244,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Everything about the nature of matter.
- How and why matter has gravity.
- The mechanics of subatomic particles (including all quantum effects).
- The origin of matter in the universe.
- The true nature of black holes.

A complete explanation of consciousness.

Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
So I quess you are not offering clarification. You are just curious?

Ok I will bite.

God has made himself known to me. I have had experiences totally out of the ordinary. And yet, he chose to take two of my children..

I love God. I know God to be. But I am totally upset at him!

Although it was kind that he did send a message to me that my lost son was fine. I really appreciated that gift. But I am unable to keep my promise that I will also be fine IF I know that he is fine.

I am not fine, but I do feel guilty for promising that I would be.

Of course God being God knew that it would not happen. My greif knows no end.

• Prayers
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

carlv_52

Jun 18, 2019
Washington
✟17,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
What knowledge are you missing from the big picture that is bothering you? From the beginning of the world to eternity. From small to large. Hell and heaven. Good and evil. What would you like clarified?

How could the movie Xanadu be so unbearably awful but the soundtrack be so great?

Upvote 0

carlv_52

Jun 18, 2019
Washington
✟17,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Because they’re closely related to dogs (and other Carnivora )

I tried gluing checkers onto my dog to see if I could make a pangolin...it wasn't as cute. I think your hypothesis is thus disproven.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
What knowledge are you missing from the big picture that is bothering you? From the beginning of the world to eternity. From small to large. Hell and heaven. Good and evil. What would you like clarified?

May I have three more wishes?

Upvote 0