• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

What do you need clarified?

Discussion in 'Christian Apologetics' started by Shahab, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Shahab

Shahab New Member

+1
    Iran, Islamic Republic Of
    Christian
    Single
    What knowledge are you missing from the big picture that is bothering you? From the beginning of the world to eternity. From small to large. Hell and heaven. Good and evil. What would you like clarified?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Gracia Singh

Gracia Singh Newbie Supporter

+6,976
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Why are pangolins so cute?

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Stranger36147

Stranger36147 Active Member

+327
    Other Religion
    Why am I such a failure in so many ways?

4. Tinker Grey

Tinker Grey Wanderer Supporter

+1,762
    Atheist
    You understand this is a science sub-forum?

5. FrumiousBandersnatch

FrumiousBandersnatch Well-Known Member

+3,920
    Atheist
    1. Why the initial entropy of the universe was so low.
    2. The best interpretation of quantum mechanics.
    3. The origin and frequency of life in the universe.

Not necessarily in that order.

6. Shahab

Shahab New Member

+1
    Christian
    Single
    Because his hands look like human hands and he's standing on two feet

7. Shahab

Shahab New Member

+1
    Christian
    Single
    You're just learning. That's how great things could begin.

8. Shahab

Shahab New Member

+1
    Christian
    Single
    1. Because everything started from a single point. Entropy means disorder. How can there be a lot of disorder when everything is cramped around a single point?

2. Quantum mechanics is based on the idea of probability. Probability itself is based on the idea that it is possible to predict things without knowing the underlying causes of the event you're trying to predict. Lack of knowledge is the basis for probability. It's no surprise that Quantum mechanics reaches the same conclusion as the assumption that probability is based on. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It is formulas with no good story to connect them. It's not a good theory.

3. A living being is something that can always grow. That's it. What you call universe, is always growing (Hubble observation). That means it is a living being.
    Life started in the waters. Water looks blue from the outside but when you're deep inside of it, it is dark. Just like when we look outside our planet and we find ourselves floating in darkness. The story of life is packed into this planet from the start to this moment. But that is a copy of the original story. This planet is a seed that life grows out of. This seed can be planted elsewhere with modifications to create something different. So to sum it up, the origin of (what you call) universe is the same as origin of life on this planet. It started in the darkness. We can see it from the outside when we look at the beginnings of life in the oceans and we can see it from inside when we look at the sky.

These are very short answers. I'll try to make some graphic illustrations to make the points better.

9. FrumiousBandersnatch

FrumiousBandersnatch Well-Known Member

+3,920
    Atheist
    AFAIAA there's no evidence for that. The observable universe would have been extremely small relative to its current size (the singularity is not generally taken to be real, but a mathematical artifact), but the whole universe is vastly bigger than the observable universe, and may have been (and may still be) spatially infinite.

That's a rough approximation and not always correct - for example, a bottle containing half oil and half water has higher entropy in the unmixed state than in the mixed state (i.e. when well shaken), whereas the opposite is true for coffee and cream.

As above, that's not a viable description - whatever it's size then relative to its size today, it was the whole universe, and it was all very hot, very dense, and very uniform.

However, the question isn't so much how we characterise the big bang state, but why it should start that way given the time-symmetric fundamental laws of physics.

Theories are based on their performance, not whether they have a 'good story', and quantum theory is by a long way the best physical theory we have in terms of the precision of its predictions.

However, my question was not about quantum theory per se - but about the best interpretation of it, i.e. its metaphysical meaning.

Many things can grow, e.g. crystals, celestial bodies, polymers, sinkholes, etc., but are not considered living things; my question concerned what is generally be considered to be life/living. There are many definitions, but growth alone is not definitive.

This answers neither point in my question. I'm after at least one detailed abiogenesis sequence, and at least the ratio of planets with and without life. Naturally, I don't expect anyone to provide the answers today.

Please don't trouble yourself.

10. Sanoy

Sanoy Well-Known Member

+1,105
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    (What does meroz refer to in judges 5:23? ) Nevermind, you probably mean this toward non creationists.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  11. Brightmoon

Brightmoon Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.

+2,935
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Single
    US-Others
    Because they’re closely related to dogs (and other Carnivora )

12. Yttrium

Yttrium Active Member

+262
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    Everything about the nature of matter.
    - How and why matter has gravity.
    - The mechanics of subatomic particles (including all quantum effects).
    - The origin of matter in the universe.
    - The true nature of black holes.

A complete explanation of consciousness.

13. Stormy

Stormy Senior Contributor

+837
    Christian
    US-Others
    So I quess you are not offering clarification. You are just curious?

Ok I will bite.

God has made himself known to me. I have had experiences totally out of the ordinary. And yet, he chose to take two of my children..

I love God. I know God to be. But I am totally upset at him!

Although it was kind that he did send a message to me that my lost son was fine. I really appreciated that gift. But I am unable to keep my promise that I will also be fine IF I know that he is fine.

I am not fine, but I do feel guilty for promising that I would be.

Of course God being God knew that it would not happen. My greif knows no end.

14. Brightmoon

+2,935
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Single
    US-Others
    The one question I had , how exactly did fish become amphibians was answered about 20 years ago

15. Brightmoon

+2,935
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Single
    US-Others
    o I can answer that . It’s because you’re not !

16. carlv_52

carlv_52 Active Member

+440
    United States
    Seeker
    In Relationship
    How could the movie Xanadu be so unbearably awful but the soundtrack be so great?

17. carlv_52

carlv_52 Active Member

+440
    United States
    Seeker
    In Relationship
    That's why we were discussing pangolin cuteness.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  18. carlv_52

carlv_52 Active Member

+440
    United States
    Seeker
    In Relationship
    I tried gluing checkers onto my dog to see if I could make a pangolin...it wasn't as cute. I think your hypothesis is thus disproven.

19. Tanj

Tanj Redefined comfortable middle class

+3,331
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Why are Marvel movies usually great and DC movies routinely awful?

20. Tone

Tone Star Fish Radiant Supporter

+2,573
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    May I have three more wishes?